The Mighty Thread of Dragons!

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Overread, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    So being a fantasy forum and being avid readers (well most of us when we find a spare moment or two) I thought it was about time that we got together and shared some good stories for each other to read; specifically those that contain those mighty scaled beasts that we all know so well!

So without cluttering this up with page after page of waffling wolf thoughts lets get to the meat of it - books and series. Lets try to keep them to ones where dragons are the main character or at least playing a main part of the story - one off appearances are good to keep an eye on, but are not quite the same as a story crafted around the dragon or at least with significant appearances. As for the medium - books, novels, short stories, graphic novels - basically anything printed (or ebooked) is fair game :)
    And don't just keep things to the english - we've a wide variety of members from different cultures so throw up your own dragon authors and books (if anything at least Oddy should be able to read most of them ;)).

A few to start us off (sadly I can't put reviews/opinions next to them all - to read pile is big ;)).

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien- pretty sure most fantasy fans know of this book and whilst the dragon is kept in reserve until the very end a list of dragons wouldn't be complete without at least a mention of the mighty red scales and glittering bejewelled belly of Smaug. It would also be worth noting that dragons also make some appearances in the Silmarillion as well.

Temeraire by Naomi Novic - first in a series (9 planned 5 release thus far) of books which rewrite the Napoleonic period from the British side as things would have been had dragons been involved. A very new take on the idea of how a dragon might be put to harness and use in battle and some creative and good writing; certainly a must read for any dedicated dragon fans.

Dragon Champion (Age of Fire) by E. E. Knight - first in a series of tales about dragons written from the dragons point of view. This is listed by some as "Watership Down for dragons" and whilst I would say the story is a little more modern and upbeat than the tale of rabbits, its an accurate way to describe that what the reader gets isn't told from the human side of things. The first three books follow three young dragons each from the egg to adulthood before the latter series books bring them and the story together again.
    Whilst I'll admit I've not gotten too far into the series what I've read is certainly more than enough to engage me to keep reading and follow the tale.

Dragonsbane by Barbara Hamblyby - a great single standing novel (though there are several books that follow and extend the story) with magic, darkness and dragon hunting with a twist. An older book, but highly recommended that you seek out a copy to read and easily one of my favoured books (even though I write so little here!).

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb - wait I hear you cry, this is a wolf book not a dragon one and indeed the first two books focus strong upon the wolf and lead character, their actions and bond; however dragons do indeed appear and whilst they are held in reserve till the latter pages of the last book it only marks the beginning of yet more scaled (and not so scaled) dragons appearing in this worldset and in following books by Hobb (some listed just below).

Ship of Magic: Book One of The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb - prepare for a tale with pirates and trades, dragon and sea serpents, living ships and dark secrets. Hobb weaves a long tale of multiple characters in this trilogy set in vibrant fantasy world. There is a depth both to the world and the characters which is rare to get from many authors and whilst sometimes the series can get a little heavy for some (the 2nd book in a Hobb trilogy is generally a bit sluggish/heavygoing in places) its a fantastic read. Note this gets a separate listing from the Farseer series only on account of the fact that whilst this series does continue on, it also stands alone very well and is worth a mention of its own (though it should be said that the best experience is reading them all)

Rogue Dragon by Avram Davidson - not your typical dragon story being more sci-fi than fantasy, but still dragons are indeed present and key to the story. A shorter tale than many, but well written and certainly worth hunting out a copy.

A Games of thrones: book 1 of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin - honestly I cannot leave out (nor recommend enough) this outstanding series. Possibly one of the strongest epic fantasy writers of current times. Dragons my not start the book (Wolves do!) and take a little time to appear, but appear they do; and in the build up you've got some of the best and most realistic characters you'll ever find in a fantasy series. Martin doesn't write stereotype characters and he doesn't write anti-stereotype characters - he writes real live characters whose motivations and actions are as dynamic and real as you can get. Mix that with an author who also holds back not a single punch and isn't afraid to have characters meet their demise and you end up with a book where each page is a possible cliffhanger; where no character is the invincible chosen one and where most are just struggling to stay alive (or claw as much of the throne as they can).

Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos) by Steven Brust - "but a Jhereg isn't a dragon" I hear you cry (or more likely "what the heck is a Jhereg"), but I'm willing to bend the rules a little for Loiosh (even though he probably counts more as a weyvern) since the characters are bound to at least entertain if not make you smile a little as you read. Asides which there are indeed dragons (or Dragon Lords at least) in this collected trilogy of books (which is only a small part of the full series available). A light and easy style of writing which makes for a good read; and indeed a confusing one at times since book to book Steven does not always write them in a chronological order.

Unread/mostly not finished reading books:

The Dragon Book - edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois - a collection of short stories involving dragons by a wide range of modern authors.

The Royal Dragoneers (Dragoneer Saga) by M. R. Mathias

Daughter of Dragons by Kathleen H. Nelson

:dragon:

I'm sure that I've probably left off one or two titles that will come to me in time, but there is a starting for books with dragons - now lets see what other ones can be dug up from the tomes of fantasy. Old books and new lets see what we can find.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I'm shocked how quite this thread is and on the fact that not a single one of you corrected the MASSIVE error in the opening post!

3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well one book series I look forward to reading once she finishes the last book, is Robin Hobbs - The Rain Wilds Chronicles. Think the main plot is about the dragons, same ones that can be found in the others you list there. Can't tell if its good or not, but I like Hobbs books very much, so I can't see why I wont like them.
    Another series i come to think of with dragons are Stephen Deas Memory of flames series. Haven't read those either, but definitely want to.

And what error? :O

4. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I won't add any styling, just mention DragonLance (which has its own board, so check that out if you want info).

5. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Crucible of Gold - new Temeraire book is finally out!! :)
    Just wanted to share that fact

I left the Dragon Lady and her series off the list!

Totally by accident!!