The medieval fantasy FORUM PROJECT

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Foinikas, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Ok I've had this idea for some time now.I pictured it like a TV series,I was inspired by similar fiction or science-fiction mystery TV series as well.

It's about a typical,good-old medieval style Inn set in a small town where travelers pass by to go to various other locations.So it is supposed to gather lots of adventurers,mischievious rogues,wandering wizards,wary merchants and bragging sell-swords.Many a time the clients of the Inn sat around the cozy fire,drinking cold beer and enjoying their meat,soup and loaves of bread while boasting about their latest gold-awarded,dragon-slaying epic adventure.

Now,the concept is that in every episode,there will be something different,either having flashbacks of the adventurer's and travellers past,about how they got to the Inn or their troubled past,sometimes it will be about something concerning the present(stuff happening inside the Inn like machinations or stuff concerning the Inn's workers).And every episode will be written by a different member of the forum.

This doesn't mean one person will have to write just one story!

When we gather enough of them,we could work together and make a front cover and back cover,put the episodes/stories into order and make them look a bit better and print them and in this way we can actually make the first TFF Fantasy book!

A few rules and conditions for participation though:

1.As having the idea,I will be head-supervisor of the stories.I give you my word I will not treat someone without justice even if we don't get along in the forum generally.
    2.Me and a couple of other people(haven't thought which ones yet)will be the team responsible for "shaping up" and making each episode a bit better as concerns dictation,syntaxis and when it comes to plot matters,we will discuss it with the write of the episode.
    3.Those who can participate must write the story in good english(not just understandable)and make sure it's not a cheap copy of something they read somewhere or saw on TV.Remember:Getting inspired by a fantasy story is good,copying it is not.
    4.The final decisions for episodes/stories that will be included will be mine and of the persons appointed,discussed of course with the people who write them.Ruling out a story from the collection won't mean that me or somebody else in the coordination team will have a grudge on someone,it will mean the story cannot be included for some reasons and for this look below.
    5.The episodes/stories will have to keep and not alter the main characters' personalities unless it is temporarily for plot reasons.
    6.The lenght of each episode will be discussed and announced in the future.

I hear your proposals for names and characters living/working in the Inn,the Inn's name(I propose the Happy Boar or the Dragon's Fire Inn).

Further announcements and coordination will be made in this thread.

And to make it more clear for those who haven't understood:

This whole thing will be a collection of relatively short medieval fantasy stories with varying themes,written by forum members and gathered in a collection as if told by the travellers and adventurer's of the Inn as well as the Inn keeper himself or will take place in real time(in the story).If you have more questions PM me or post here :)

So who's in?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Raraldor

Raraldor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    This sounds pretty cool, you can count me in^^. I was thinking the last name of the character who owns the place and then add an inn after it, I have always liked those for some reason

3. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Come on then,don't be shy,I'm here to hear your proposals.We will all build this fantasy setting together.

4. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Count me also in!! This is great idea! :D

5. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I'm in definitely too, though sometimes it takes a lot of time for inspiration to settle in ;)

6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    So far so good!

Things we have to think before we start:

Step 1-The names and personalities of certain characters.And also the kind of creatures living in our fantasy world.

Step 2-Find varying themes and assign them to people who want to write an episode with a certain theme,for example a story of adventurers who slayed a dragon,a story of someone looking for his long-lost love visiting the Inn,a story of greedy merchants and intrigues,a story of war and battles,a story of a quest and various other themes which are up to you.

This is why writers of each episode and coordination team must be in touch ;)

Step 3-Names of towns,kingdoms,cities and places are left to the writer's imagination to use,but in the end we must be able to make some sort of a geography and include all these towns,cities,villages,kingdoms,forests,mountains etc.

When we start this,each writer assigned a specific theme or writing an episode/story entirely of his own theme,sends his story in e-mail form to the coordinating team for reading,minor corrections and suggestions(changes in a writer's work will be only in agreement with the writer).

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ooh this looks interesting - but my mind is slow at times ;)
    still definatly looks interesting

8. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0
    This sounds like a cool project

9. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    We need more people,then we will finally sit down and create the Inn characters and I will write down some themes,each of you who likes a theme best tells me and is assigned it.Each episode will have a different theme,a different story and of course the author's personaly signature and way of writing ;)

I remind you whoever is interested send me a PM to tell me that you're in and if u have MSN and want to give it to me for contact etc. please do it.

So we can get started with the project and have the first stories written.

10. MollyGrue

MollyGrue Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi, thanks for the heads up about this, sounds interesting...have you read Spider Robinson's Callaghan's books? (not sure if I spelled that right) It is a similar idea with a sci fi premise instead, it's a bar where all kinds of humans and aliens hang out, some are regulars, some just pass through and tell their stories...

Anyway, I'm in!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Lol I never heard about that one.

I think I will come up with some main characters who will be regulars in almost every episode(Inn Keeper and the supporting cast)and then I'll write down some themes for episodes which I already have in my mind so people who like one best can choose it and start writing.

I think a story of about 10 to 12 pages would be good or perhaps 15 pages.We don't want each episode to look like a teaser trailer nor do we want it to be big as a book :D

In the mean time I hear suggestions for characters,Inn name and anything you want to propose or tell me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob Darken

Rob Darken New Member

In the midst of the Celtic Winter, following the v
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    A fantastic idea Foinikas!
    I would love to be involved.
    I will think on the idea , and post something in here soon.

13. Cyril

Cyril Knight of the Weave

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea I'm getting is we're looking to build an anthology of short fantasy fiction stories, all of them with the center thread of the inn? Is that correct?

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yeah,we'll build a simple fantasy world or each will include locations and names of places of his own taste in his short-story and me and the other coordinators(although still haven't found them yet)will afterwards make a map and try to see if the locations can fit.I mean,we're not gonna sit down and make a map,just a bit of geography so that we can make a basic lore for our fantasy world.

Now what I'll do is this,I will announce some themes for each story,the Inn names and each person can choose a theme to write his own story.This way we'll have a variety and each person will write something he/she believes can write better about.

Yup it will be an anthology of different fantasy short stories,like episodes,with different themes each.

What I want you guys and ladies do now is tell give me the ok and tell me you're in.That and if possible I also would like you to put a "Dragon's Fire Inn Collection author" in your sign as well,pm me that you're in(and post whatever you want here too)and give me your MSN address if you have any for contact and coordination.Thank you.

15. sinfulwolf

sinfulwolf New Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I'm in. I'll send you a PM

16. Cyril

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hell yeah. I need to get writing again. Hell, I'll even volunteer to help with the coordination if you'll have me. PM being sent.

17. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Announcement!​

Ladies and gentlemen,here is the list so far of the participants:

• Raraldor
    • Sevi
    • Blackness
    • Overread
    • Herald of Woe
    • MollyGrue
    • Rob Darken
    • Cyril
    • Sinfulwolf
    • Foinikas

And the 10 first themes for each of you to choose from and write a short story about:

Dragon-slaying.A story about the slaying of a legendary dragon by a group of adventurers who happen to spend some gold and boast for their achievement while in the Inn.They may have or may not have killed the dragon,it's up to you to write what happened.

Meeting of merchants.A small group of merchants has a rendezvous at the Dragon's Fire Inn,but they end up manipulating each other.For authors who love writing about machinations,greedy merchants,deals under the table and stories with lots of plot twists.

The haunted forest.A fantasy horror story about a scary,evil haunted forest,the secrets and creatures it hides and how someone(preferably a female character)survived it and lived on to tell the tale one cold stormy night at the Inn.

The Elven secrets.A story about an elven kingdom and the secrets kept in its domain for hundreds of years when a non-elf enters their grounds by accident.A light-hearted story for Elves fans.The title can easily change of course.

The lost love.A story about a man who is still looking for his long lost love and he ends up drinking in sorrow at the Inn at one point.May involve curses or forbidden loves.

About the old drunk ranger.A story about a drunkard who often spends his nights at the Inn,who used to be a proud and famous ranger once.

A dungeon's quest.A story about a typical band of adventurers who go to a dungeon for some reason and fight their way until the end of their quest.

The dwarven contest.A light-hearted story about the arrival of a team of dwarf brewerers who arrive at the Inn from a far away region and start a contest(with various tests and games)for the great prize: Respect on behalf of the dwarves,a silver,engraved tankard worth much more than it seems.

The ogres at the river.A story about two stupid ogres guarding a river's bridge to get toll from the people who want to cross it and about how one person outsmarted them.For authors who like riddles and mind-games.

The big hunt.A story about the hunt of a legendary powerful creature.By a band of mercenaries,hunters or soldiers or other it's up to the author.If the creature is indeed evil,dangerous or good it's up to the author as well.Where the hunt takes place in,a forest,a mountain,a jungle,a swamp at the sea it's again up to the author.

These are some of the themes I've come up with so far.You can also alter the story a bit,put your own stuff in and write it the way you want.You can of course skip all that and write whatever you want,but we're trying to have a variety here and that's why I'm giving you some ideas.That's all :)

18. Cyril

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    We've also discussed having each author add something to the overall lore/creation of the world.

Examples could be as big as creating a country to as small as naming the leader of a group of knightly scholars that was brought up in another story. Then we can fill in the cracks when all is said and done and have a continuous fantasy world.

Some ideas include:

-Creating a land ruled by a group of powerful guilds who create the laws using a figurehead leader, who is both a political as well as a spiritual figure.
    -Creating a land ruled by a theocracy. The twist is that it is ruled by two competing churches who work to keep the country in constant fear so they are so paralyzed they cannot rebel.
    -Dividing the land in half with a mountain range ruled by goblin warlords.
    -Creating a knightly order that helps police the lands highways, keeping them safe from bandits.

Just add something to enrich the overall land and we'll fit it in.

Please just note that this may lead to us sending something back asking you to rewrite something or asking permission to change something so we can keep everything with continuity.

19. sinfulwolf

sinfulwolf New Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    What is the name of the country that our inn is placed in. Personally I wanted to write something dealing with a war or a soldier's experience.

20. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    You can do that too.I will write down the details of the Inn and the area surrounding it soon.