The Master Sword

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Onimech

Onimech New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Exdeath's sword is so far the most accurate master sword I have seen. I would love to know where it came from.
    oh yeah, first post and everything,

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  2. Hadriel

Hadriel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Someone earlier said that there's no way in hell that Link swings the Master Sword one-handed, due to its extreme heft. What was neglected in that statement is that he pushes huge stone blocks around without much difficulty; this is, or should be, an obvious indicator of the superhuman strength he possesses. I'll provide you with some quantification for that purpose.

Assume that Link is six feet tall. In the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time, to solve one of the block puzzles Link is required to push stone blocks roughly twice as tall as he is. The particular variety of stone is uncertain, but much of the architecture present in the Forest Temple, and especially that of its exterior design, suggests a decidedly Greek bent. Thus for the substance calculation I shall use marble, the material used to construct the Parthenon.

A block of marble 12 feet tall converts to approximate height of 3.7 meters. Since the blocks Link pushes are cubical, we know that they encompass ~51 m^3 of space. A common form of marble has a density of 2670 kg/m^3, so multiplying the two quantities gives a total mass of 1.4e5 kg for an individual block. From there, we take the equation of static friction to find out how much force it takes to actually move the object. The equation in this case, because Link is not doing the work at an angle, is as follows:

Force required = coefficient of static friction * normal force

One can easily compute the normal force by multipling 1.4e5 * 9.81, resulting in ~1.4e6 N. An approximate coefficient of static friction of unpolished marble stone would be somewhere around 0.7, so multiplying this by our established force gives a minimum requirement of approximately 1 MN to even equal the threshold of the surface's friction force, let alone to move it. As F = ma, we can approximate the actual force Link uses to move a block. The game runs at 50 fps; it takes no more than two seconds to complete one push. Being generous, the block attains a speed of maybe 1 m/s, which assuming linear acceleration renders a figure of 0.5 Gs. Multiply that by 1.4e6 and we get 7e5 N, which accounting for sig figs and error comes out to 1 MN, meaning that's about Link's limit outside of equipment such as the Silver and Gold Gauntlets, or the Mitts of LttP. In fact, according to the OOT guide published by Nintendo Power (which was written in the form of a narrative, a feature I quite enjoyed) the Golden Gauntlets could "give a man the strength to move mountains." One might ordinarily dismiss this as hyperbole, but in light of those numbers it could very well prove to be literally true. Even humor backs this up. I refer you to The Grand List of RPG Cliches for this:

Rule #27 - The Nostradamus Rule
    All legends are 100% accurate. All rumors are entirely factual. All prophecies will come true, and not just someday but almost immediately.

For comparison, the current world bench-press record is 565 lbs. That equals a mass of ~260 kg, which applies a downward force of 2519 N. Translation:

Link is the strongest man who ever lived almost four hundred times over. Realistically, that tunic hides the six-pack to end all six-packs. However, because his size isn't that of a titan, he likely has something else powering his strength, like Cloud has a powerful sensitivity to Mako and Jenova cells, which enable him to use his Buster Sword effectively.

As far as the sword's construction goes, it seems fairly obvious that it is superior. Many other games assign durability ratings to their weapons, but the Master Sword can be used an unlimited number of times and not suffer any damage. This obviously requires exceptional construction. The sword can also direct a truly obscene amount of energy, as in the end of Ocarina of Time. If the Triforce lore is true, then anyone who has the True Force has unlimited power. For our purposes, we must reinterpret this to say that they possess a power equivalent to that necessary to cause a Big Bang. Dividing that energy by 3 produces another ridiculously large number. If Ganondorf had all this power, then why didn't he simply conquer every civilized planet in the universe with a fingersnap? Part of it is that he probably didn't know there was anything else to conquer. It could also be that as with the Master Sword, the power the artifact makes available increases proportionally with the skill of the user. But it nevertheless remains that to use this much energy, a sword would have to have an edge, so to speak. It's known that the sword has a high degree of magic power with regards to spacetime, and it's also stated that the sword has a will; it chose Link to be its wielder. One could say that it was simply an ordinary sword imbued with a spirit, but the extreme longevity of its material even without its power source is evidence against that. When The Wind Waker's Link picked it up after hundreds of years of dormancy, its blade showed not a blemish or scratch; its actual construction must also be far superior to anything we have. To restate an earlier point, no matter how many times you whack it against something in any game that it's in, be it an enemy or a random object, it doesn't get damaged or even dinged. If I had to pick a metal to make a near-indestructible sword out of, I'd be invoking a lot of technology and physics that Hyrule doesn't have. But if I had the knowledge of a superbeing such as Din, Nayru, and Farore, I could custom-make such a thing. Consider the iron core of the Earth. Because of the high temperature and pressure, that material is far more dense than anything you'll find up here. Aside from the strength of carbon-carbon bonds, this is why diamonds are so hard. Imagine making a sword from the core of the world. Or apply that same train of thought to any number of astronomical situations. Try forging a huge mass of exceptional metal in the heat of a nebula; whatever's left will be phenomenal material with practically no impurities. Or try doing the same thing, only compressing it with an orb of dark matter, heating it with a star through a wormhole, and cooling it by running it through a Bose-Einstein condensate. Or even better: suppose that everything in the universe is made out of a single core ingredient, as some of the more prominent theories in quantum mechanics have proposed. If you possess the knowledge of the fundamental constituent of everything in the universe, there'd be no limit to what you could custom-design with it, including wonder metals with unique atomic configurations that satisfy all the properties the Master Sword displays. The gods of the Triforce are powerful enough to pull all this off as easily as we'd step on a cockroach, and if that stuff doesn't make a Master Sword, I don't know what qualifies.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    He was actually refering to his own sword which was a very heavy stainless steel replica i beleive, as a matter of how heavy the blade was, not a critique of the realism.

also in regards to the long long long post, theres far too muhc physics there. Its a legend, a myth so all we need to do is say 'magic' when we explain something. Try it, its muhc easier.......magic!

also i highly doubt the blocks in the forest temple are made of marble, there are relitively few pillars in said temple and the style doesnt neatly fit any we know, also the temperate climate is completely differnet to greek/romanesque civilisation, while i think there are similarities its a big leap, also the aparent shade and texture of the blocks and walls of the temple are much muhc different than any kind of marble, even that worn over the hundreds of years the temple was empty.

its hard to say what it is, no soft stone like sandstone, maybe granite or jusyt your average stone. but definately not marble.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  4. Hadriel

Hadriel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't settle for "it's magic." I require reason in all explanations.

5. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well i think 'magic' is a better explanation in the end.

6. Hadriel

Hadriel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heh, you might be right, but that's how I roll.

But seriously, wouldn't that be kickass if the Master Sword was made inside a stellar phenomenon? I mean, nobody has a more awesome sword than something like that. Even a friggin' lightsaber couldn't compare. But I suppose that goes under a "make up your own sword" thread.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    maybe you should make that thread up. but seriously, the ind of power your talking about in the creation of such a blade is far too immense.

the sheer mass of thing would be in the tonnes, like a handheld neutron star, it would destroy the planet it was on.

8. Onimech

Onimech New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In most games Link finds a bracelet, gauntlet, or something that increases his strength. Normally enough to lift large rocks over his head, maybe he uses these to swing the master sword easily with one hand.

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    please people please, lets leave that comment aside. It was made as a comment about the weight of someones master swrod replica not a critique of the sword or link's strength.

and it should be twice as much left alone because the person who made the comment is the one to have the most realistic replica of them all.

10. Hadriel

Hadriel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Link doesn't have any kind of strength bracelet in OoT when he first gets the Master Sword, save for the Power Bracelet, but that doesn't fit his arm as an adult.

A sword that weighs hundreds of pounds actually wouldn't be unfeasible for Link, but since Zelda's capable of holding it, as evidenced in TWW, it can't be quite that big. It must be pretty heavy, though; she had to lift it with two hands and even then could barely hold it.

But anyway, I've derailed the thread enough.

Exdeath, where exactly did you get that replica, and where can I track them down?

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Re: The Sword of Evil's Bane

If you mean exactly where the blade joins the hilt, im not aware of any significance besides aesthetics. There is a triforce emblem engraved into the blade itself just by the jjoing, but the yellowish 'jewels' just appear to be stylistic.

12. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
Search tags for this page

master sword insignia