The Martian (Ridley Scott 2015)

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Mububban, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0

Plot Synopsis - "During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive. Millions of miles away, NASA and a team of international scientists work tirelessly to bring "the Martian" home, while his crewmates concurrently plot a daring, if not impossible, rescue mission. As these stories of incredible bravery unfold, the world comes together to root for Watney's safe return."

Good cast, interesting premise.....but I dunno...Ridley Scott has lost my trust after stinkers like Robin Hood and Prometheus.

it's due out in November so a normal trailer will likely arrive fairly soon, but this is an interesting way to introduce the cast. Matt Damon makes a very convincing everyman dork :)

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I listened to the audiobook 'The Martian' by Andy Weir, I think it was toward the end of last year or perhaps earlier... great hard-science fiction, the kind of SF that has unfortunately fallen from grace, and been replaced by all these stupid space opera movies. What kind of sucks though, is I'll be watching this movie when it comes out, and I'll know most of what's going to happen.
    I really liked the book, usually enjoy Matt Damon movies... definitely looking forward to the movie.

3. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    And here's the trailer:

"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm faced with only one option - I'm going to have to science the shit out of this."

I hope Ridley Scott hasn't made another "awesome trailer, crappy movie" with this one. Because it looks like real scifi, real intelligence, science, maths, engineering. Smart people who are not afraid to be smart, hopefully in a setting that doesn't require anything to be dumbed down.

I felt positive like this while watching the Prometheus trailers, but then the movie was appalling. I really hope Ridley Scott's got his act together on this one.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I liked Prometheus personally, but films like Robin Hood and Exodus weren't great.... So I can't completely disagree with you when you said you lost faith in him. I'm also skeptical about this film. Hopefully the source material is good, because I think the scripts of Robin Hood (they tried to make it too gritty) and with Exodus, the characters were pretty one-dimensional. So hopefully the same won't happen with the Martian. We'll see.

5. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Prometheus was okay but nothing special... I like the look of this though, assuming there's some foundation on science-fact as that makes it all the more interesting / believable sci-fi.

6. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... Prometheus did nothing for me. But I might watch the Martian, it looks like it would be quite a good drama.

7. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    this movie looks like one I would be very tempted to go see. I usually like Matt Damon movies in general so why not I say.

8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I saw The Martian in 3D last night and had a very good, intelligent time. This and Interstellar have been very enjoyable, with accurate science (within some hollywood parameters I'm willing to forgive), intelligent men and women using their brains to overcome challenges and obstacles. No unnecessary contrived dramatics. The very nature of what their missions are provides all the drama and tension you need.

Top notch effects, good acting all round, and definitely worth the big screen experience.

The 3D is worth it, it's not used as a gimmick but to really add a sense of depth and scale for the Mars and space locations.

After the steaming piles of disappointment that were Robin Hood and Prometheus, it's nice to enjoy a Ridley Scott movie again.

9. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I really enjoyed The Martian more than I thought I would. Brilliant movie.

10. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    @Lady Galeth
    I agree. Wonderful plot and the movie in general was interesting.
    It shouldn't have been that long, in my opinion, but hey!

11. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I didn't really mind the length, it was entertaining. That's what I didn't like about Gravity, alright movie but damn it dragged on.
    What I liked about the Martian was the main character was no action hero, just a scientist that played to his strengths to survive.

12. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    My favourite part of this movie was how they interwove the seriousness of it with humour. At times it was almost hysterically funny and that was a weird, but effective, counterbalance to the drama. Brilliant!