The Magic of the originals?????!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by LOTR Fan, Sep 21, 2004.

1. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok the DVDs are here ;) , so what is it about the original triology? To me they are so far superior to the newer movies - is it the acting, the lack of over-the-top sometimes way too fake special effects; something just resonates differently with me! You watch the duel between Vader and Luke in RoTJ, there is no flying and flipping (Yoda v. Dooku), but the scene in my opinion is much more powerful! Could it be that the originals were more driven by story and less by effects?

I obviously have my own feelings on this issue, and I wonder - those who are old enough to have appreciated the first series (I witnessed Empire, and Jedi), do you agree?

What is the mysterious Star Wars mojo????????

2. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The acting, bad CGI and other problems plague the new Star Wars, true. One problem I heard somewhere was that in 4, 5, 6 the Jedi were Heroic Rebels, but in 1, 2, 3 they're basicaly cops.

3. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So Isengard, you agree that the special effects are less than special?! There are not many out there that see things this way! I am in the process of watching the DVDs (last night was of course the beginning, E4), and where things have been spliced in - it usually is not for the better.

Is the old method of costume and "puppet" (Yoda) really that antiquated? I am not assuming that movies will ever return to such a time (Sky Captain anyone?), but perhaps the overreliance on effect by the Lucas team has betrayed a dangerous trend ------- form over content.

No matter what the effects or how realistic they may be, a story must have themes and elements that resonate with viewers, or it is doomed to fail. The dialogue is so wooden, and the characters so stale in the first two episodes - that you really only go to the movies to see how it will all pan out and maybe to receive some eye candy as you are dazzled by the graphics. But Lucas himself has said on many occassions that what drives Star Wars is the fact that essentially it is a morality tale, based on a mixture of many religious and ancient myths. To a large degree (in my view) he has opted out of that, and attempted to just present FLASH.

One example, the first hour or so of Ep2 was mostly dialogue, and it was so dry and so stale that you (or at least I) stop caring. Remember all of the classic one-liners from the first movies ("crop dusting" ring a bell?), these have been removed in favor of computer generated fancy. The fundamental flaw being that a computer can dazzle you, but it does not have a personality!

4. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    True dat.

Out of Ep. 1, 2, and probably 3, I only really like Darth Maul, and that was because of his bad-*** look and his double-bladed lightsaber.

5. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So in reality the story has lost all meaning to you, and has become who has the coolest gadgets? I do not mean that comment as a dig at all, for me that is much the same!

6. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, ok, ok - that settles it, I have finished watching the "bonus materials" disc and I am even more convinced now ----------------------- it is the story that made the first trilogy great!!!!!

Story will always triumph over sword

7. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What's wrong with Maul? He is a cool guy. And what's wrong with double-bladed lightsabers?

And I'd like to see try to like the stories for 1, 2, and (possibly) 3!

8. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Isengard, don't get me wrong I truly do enjoy the new series; just not for the same reasons! The one-liners are gone (a la "I love you" "I know!" etc), as is much of the compelling element of the story. I enjoy the new series (though I cannot compare the two) just for different reasons. New series is about effects and technological advancement - - - - I really do enjoy the two bladed lightsaber, a really cool touch!

But the saber battles of the first trilogy were not the driving force of the movies, but an addition to the building drama of the stories.

I am very excited for Ep.3 but I am not expecting to be dazzled by the same magic that has captivated me ------------------- thank you Return of the Jedi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with LOTR Fan that the story was what made the originals good. Well, actually, the basic plot of the newer ones could be good, but there is just something lacking in them that the old ones had. I don't know what to call it, but you can tell when you watch them.

10. The Fantasy Guru

The Fantasy Guru New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    IMHo whats absolutely killing the prequels is the msot ridculous dialouge in teh history of movies.

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    The style of dialogue and acting is that of the 40s and 50s-- it's deliberate! I find it hilarious that only a few people realise that and appreciate it

12. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lady of Shalott - that missing element is called the "Star Wars mojo!"

Padme - I am sorry to be found so ignorant in your eyes, but you must admit that the originals did not have this retro acting style; why would the new series feel the need to "develop" this new form? Please do not respond by saying that due to the fact that they are prequels, the dialogue is older in style, that would just be silly.

I repeat George, do what you want with your stories - - - - - - - - but as someone who grew up with the magic of Star Wars, all I can say is something is visably missing. Last example (for now) can you really compare the humor and tone of Chewbacca with Jar Jar Binks? I think that settles it!

13. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ^^ With him ^^

No one can match Chewie.

14. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I saw alll three original starwars movies and I agree with evreyone that the new trilogy lacks in something which I do not know! all I know is that NOTHING (except LOTR) compares to me the original star wars trilogy.

15. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Byzantine Warrior, I am somewhat with you - there certainly is an unreapetable magic to those two trilogies, and they will live on!

16. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Indeed they will live on! (this may sound silly but) I hope to watch LOTR and SW 4-5-6 with my Grandkids. (dont laugh!!!)

17. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No laughing here, in fact I have two children (3 and 2) and I am presently introducing them to Star Wars - LOTR is a bit too scary for them still, but I am collecting the ToyBiz figures for my son (and me:)) he just can't take them out of the boxes.

18. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    my children (7 and 10) watched SW and LOTR only last year. and still my daughter thought the cave troll was gonna get her! LOL anyway back on topic. One of my fav lines from proncess Leia is "arent you a little short for a storm trooper?) :D

19. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My favorite line is from Chewie.
    "Wwrrrrraaaaaarrrrrrr!