The luck of the Starks. *Spoilers for a storm of swords*

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by MichaelSnow, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MichaelSnow

MichaelSnow New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have just read to the point of the feast at the Twins. Robb has been killed. Catelyn sounds pretty dead too. Please tell me it gets better for the Starks. I had to come here to ask as they have been central to the evolving story in the series, and as intended I feel empathetic towards them. But I just want to bloody vengence for the Starks. Without spoilers if possible, please just tell me whether the Starks get some retribution, or is it really just continual grizzly reading?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I think the thing is in most stories the Starks would be the hero group - we'd expect them to have a good chance at winning or at least pulling a good draw by the time the books came to a final conclusion. However GRRM writes differently and I think whilst the readers developed Starks as a clear "favourite to win" he possibly didn't - or at least has other plans for them.

Also considering the way his world runs it might simply be that he's written the Starks into corners he can't get them out of without it breaking his worlds overall feel of reality .

3. rbattin

rbattin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MS,

Trying to keep this within your timeline....

The story of the Starks is twisted and cruel. Ned get's it in front of his daughters, Bran's a cripple, Sansa's is living a pretty horrible life in Kings Landing, Arya is reduced to a servant, Robb is dead, Rickon is on the run at such a young age.... and poor Catelyn. I cannot say that things get much better any time soon but GRRM is a crafty bastard and they do remain my favorite family to date.

Winter is Coming.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Just another thought - in most typical fantasy tales the Starks, both for being good and being introduced to us first, would have been the hero group for the story as a whole. I think the difference with ASOIAF is that they quickly become just other players in the game itself. This is a big shift again from most regular fantasy tales and heck I wouldn't be surprised if, at the very end, they were even a minor faction (at least in so far as land ownership and rights to the Iron Throne - if that in itself even remains stable).

5. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    It's worth pointing out that none of us know the ending of the series. There are at least three books yet to be published, so we can't really answer your question. As of AFFC I would say that things do not get significantly worse for the Starks, but nor do they get better. There are one or two satisfying moments later in ASOS that may help you feel a little better (I hope that's vague enough not to count as a spoiler).

6. NavigatorMerlin

NavigatorMerlin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But half the fun is reading on and finding out for yourself right?

7. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I would say Sansa's storyline is becoming drastically better, and Bran's is steadily looking up as well.

Also, remember that George originally leaked that the title of the last book would be "A Time for Wolves" before it was later changed to "A Dream of Spring".