The Last Book

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Confessor, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have seen the title and cover of the final novel of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series. It is called: Confessor
    From the synopsis it looks like it will be amazing but I don't want it to end. I wish he would put out a book with all of the terms, location, characters, spells, and wizard rules. Maybe one day he will. Peace. If you want more information it can be found here:

Confessor

2. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the link. I really look forward to it... well, I still look forward to reading Phantom :) Yeah, it is quite sad that this is the last book of the series but I hope he will start another one ;)

3. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure he'll tie up all of his loose ends with the plot and character development. :) Does anyone else have any thoughts on the final novel??? Anyone?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I don't think it will be too difficult to tie everything up. I have to be honest, I haven't been as enamored with this series as I have been with others.

It's really been up and down. Some books were really good, others were not. And he tends to wrap up loose ends within each novel, except of course for the War. Phantom was the first that had a "to be continued" ending for the main issue in that book.

It seems like the plot has really just gone round and round. Each book is tied together by the War that's going on, but each book also has its own separate issue that must be resolved. Goodkind is very talented as a writer, but some of his plot lines have not been so good, and he definitely has a dark side that sometimes comes out way too much. For example, I thought Soul of the Fire was utter trash. It read like smut.

In other books I've read you can see that things are coming to a head. In this one though, I'm not sure we'll get the resolution everyone thinks we will.

Unless Richard discovers some very very powerful magic, there is very little chance of him defeating the Empire in one book. I could see this one ending with the Empire controlling everything and Richard and Kahlan attempting to start over somewhere.

Mathius

5. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I just want to see what happens next.

Remember, he's got to get his magic back in order to open one of the Boxes of Orden or all is lost, he's gotta get his sword and that book back from Six's castle... oh, yeah, and he doesn't know that he memorised a false book yet, does he?

I just want to see how Kahlan gets her memoy back. Jagang made remarks about "when she remembers", etc., so it must be possible even though the good guys don't think so...

And Rachel still hasn't met the rest of her family. :)

6. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    I figured I'd go out and get the final novel in the Sword of Truth special. Did you guys and girls know that you can get signed and personalized copies of Confessor from Terry Goodkind through Bett's Books? You can have Terry personalize it by saying something like "Cordelia, Best wishes." or just have his signature. I pre-ordered mine on March 1st. They are 30 dollars. Terry is also going to see if he can have Sword of Truth T-Shirts but the shirt hasn't been finalized by Terry himself. The store is located in Maine - so if any of you guys live close I'd visit the store.

The phone number is: (207) 947-7052
    Store Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Or you can email them with your request. Please visit their website for more information. I talked to the manager and he is a really nice guy. He answered all of my questions concerning Terry's previous novels and Confessor. The web address is: http://www.bettsbooks.com/
    Enjoy!

7. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Goodkind is going to make a lot of money out of this.

And get repetetive strain in his wrist.

8. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    True he might but I'm saddened it's coming to an end. I suppose everything comes to an end. :)

9. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    SPOILERS......

IIRC Richard believed in Sword of Truth that he had solved the whole "boxes of orden" thing. Zedd knows better and sets some guards on it. Richard comes back in... I think Stone of Tears? and does something else to the boxes of orden... again, thinks he's done with it.

But we learn in the current book that Kahlan in league with the Sisters of Dark (albeit against her will) steals the boxes.

Obviously the Boxes of Orden are still in play....

IIRC opening the correct box makes you "all powerful" which is what Darken Raul wanted to achieve.

Is it fairly easy to conclude that Richard will use the Boxes of Oden to destroy the Empire's army?

Mathius

10. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure how he can get out of becoming the ultimate ruler of all life at this point. He may not have a choice.

Don't forget he's got one year to escape from the Order, actually find out that the boxes are in play under his name now, get his magic back so that he can open the damn things, learn that he's memorised a false book and track down a real one, rescue Kahlan so that she can verify it, and get the other boxes back. And his sword and war-wizard book would be nice too but probably not essential.

Then he can worry about the imperial order.

11. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I only have a vague recollection of what happened in the last book, but IIRC he was fairly close to Kahlan when we left him, and he was working a way to escape his current predicament. He may very well find Kahlan before defeating Six. In fact, I can almost count on it. It would be very Goodkind'ish to have Kahlan and Richard both defeat Six while he has lost his magic, and Kahlan has no memory, nor apparently the use of her magic.

Given that, Kahlan has the box, so that's a given that he'll find that when he finds her, right?

Finding out about the book is something that can take place at any given time. In fact, Zedd & Co, may have realized that and will get the knowledge to him, maybe even aiding in his escape.

Do we know for sure, btw, that this is the last book?

As for his sword, in the first book when he first went to Violet's castle, it was right after leaving the Reach. I would imagine Samuel is in the area.

Mathius

12. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Kahlan wears a Rada'Han. Richard knows nothing about them and has no magic to to the shieldy-thing. None of the magic-users he knows can see Kahlan, nor are they currently in the Order's army. I can see two ways out of this predicament:

- Kahlan uses her touch on a magic-user (accidentally of course since she doesn't know she has it) and they free her. (It would rock so much if she got Jagang... but be way too easy.)

-Richard kills the Sisters who control her collar, and they leave, worrying about actually removing the damn thing later.

Jagang has the box, not Kahlan.

It would be interesting to see his friends try to communicate with him. Chase and Rachel infiltrated the Order once to rescue Zedd. Which reminds me, is Rachel going to meet the rest of her family already? I expected that payoff books ago, dammit.

13. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Only makes it more convenient for Richard to use it to stop the Empire, aye?

And don't I remember something about Richard being the only one who can use the boxes because he's the one that put them into play, or no?

Yeah, this is what separates Goodkind from being a great author. His plot doesn't seem to have any forward movement. He just keeps sending his characters up against different plot devices, but the continuity while existent, just doesn't really have a purpose.

I guess it's more "real", I mean in real life, every experience doesn't directly take you towards one goal, but for a book series, it's quite frustrating.

There's a lot of plot issues that aren't all that resolved. Did Scarlett die because of the chimes? Will we see Gratch again? And where did they send Jensen?

Mathius

14. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I was sure that the Sisters had put them into play already. Either that's wrong, or more than one person can have them in play.

Even if he's the only one who can use them, he still has to physically be able to open the correct box. That means that if Jagang has it, Richard still has to get it.

I really liked Gratch...

15. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Spoilers Below. If you haven't read Confessor, then don't read any further.
    I have finally finished the last book. It was very good but I found myself wanting More fighting scenes. In all honesty - I have never cared for Nicci. She at one time was a villain and now she is a goody two shoes? The whole ploy with her putting the boxes of Orden into play with Richard's name was interesting. Sure it gives Richard the time he needs in order to close the boxes. Personally I think he should have let Nicci die. After what she did to him in Faith of the Fallen but hey Richard is a kind of man who puts forgiveness before hatred. Six was an interesting character and I wish we could have learned more about her. Above all I'm glad that this series is complete. Kahlan remains to be my favorite character. Rachel comes in second and then Zedd, Cara, and Nathan. It was a very good read but I found myself skimming over most of the speeches Richard gave. One speech took up three pages. I was like jeez. What did you guys think of the book?

16. diup

diup New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope the series will end because I'am tired of reading it.

Don't hate me for that comment. :)

17. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    don't let confessor hear you speak such things. the last book. i am not there yet. but i am glad that the series has come to an end and not drag and drag and drag like so many other series. i will be looking forward to seeing you all at the finish line.

18. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Too late. LOL! It's okay. everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just don't get why people don't put forth the effort to at least finish the book before they give their opinions. Oh well. I'm not mad or anything. What he said is his opinion. I'm going to give my summary of the books which are worth reading and some that are worth skipping. Considering I have now completed the entire series. Above all this book was well written but some of the speeches were to drawn out. I also disliked the fact that so many things from previous books were mentioned over and over again. He could have summed it up in a paragraph or two instead of a page or two. I'm glad that things were set straight in this book and I'm glad the series has come to an end. I'd recommend Reading Books: one, two, four, six, nine, ten, and eleven. Books: three, five, seven, and eight are pretty much worthless and have nothing to do with the over-all plot in the end. I'm glad it is over and everything is set now. The reason why it took me three years to finally finish the books because as time drew on I found myself getting bored with the series. It seemed that what was once a fantasy turned into a political view of one man and whatever someone else says doesn't matter. In all honesty the beginning of the series was good but I'm not going to lie and say I was very disappointed with those books I mentioned.

19. diup

diup New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've read 3,4,5,6,7,8; actually its Phantom (11). Looks like I've missed the best! The one I'am reading now is a strong one I think.

20. SeryaMyee

SeryaMyee Cara's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now that Confessor has been out for a couple months now. Shall we talked out it::
    What we thought about it ? or is it still to soon for that ?