The Inevitable, world-ending, Mac vs. PC debate

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Kelmourne, Jun 5, 2008.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Mac

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. PC

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Linux

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Other (Surprise me)

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I guess it might be what you are more used to. I personally like the Windows file system more than Mac. And I've had my macbook Pro for almost a full year now and have been using it constantly so I've had time to get used to it. I just prefer PC so much more. I also find PC display to be better. Mac screens are always darker to me where as PC just seem more crisp and vibrant. My mac also crashes more than my PC and it's less than a year old.

2. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Honestly depends. PC for games, Mac for music production.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I have a 2011 MacBook Pro for work, which I just updated to 10.8 and also put WIndows 7 Pro on using Boot Camp, purely so I can play games at home :D

I am now as comfortable with Mac as I am with PC, and working in IT I can tell you we have had more Mac hardware faults that needed repair in my 2 years here than faulty Windows computers. So the myth about a "superior build quality/quality of components" is rubbish. They're still a computer, still made of bits and pieces, and sometimes those pieces break. Apparently, more often than the HP, Dell, IBM and Lenovo computers we also use.

I like the tight integration of the Mac OS, it's the main advantage of the closed ecosystem. However I still prefer working with network shares on Windows, so I find good and bad points to each OS.

4. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    But you can set up networks with macs, I don't really understand what you mean by that last bit. Lots of people apparently use Mac Minis as home servers.

As to failures, you must have chosen some good models (although Lenovo has best customer satisfaction) because HP and Dell are the two worst hardware companies in terms of durability related customer satisfaction (Apple ranking 3rd I believe).
    It is true though that the fact that a mac comes with just about everything you need ready to start is very nice.

I do have to say, however, that I much prefer Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu (all Linux) over Windows.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I work at a school so we use Mac and Windows, often on the same machine.

I was using a 2011 MacBook Pro 17 inch, with i7 processor and 8GB of RAM, but as much as I loved the big screen, even those specs struggled to cope with OSX 10.9.
    I've now moved to a 2015 MacBook Pro and whilst I'm loving the speed of the SSD and OSX 10.10 runs really nicely, going back to a smaller 15 inch screen sucks balls! It might be a Retina screen, and I've increased the resolution to squeeze more onto my screen, but I still miss my 17" screen :( I know I could plug in a second larger monitor but I really don't want to.

I grew up with Windows and only started using Mac when I started working here, now I'm equally as comfortable in either OS but I'd stick with Windows if I had to choose.

6. LK901

LK901 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is no discussion. Only Linux.

Honestly though, Linux is so much better than anything else. And the gaming argument will be rendered moot as soon as Valve get there act together and launch STEAM OS. And all the people saying that Windows is for tinkering - wtf? Go and install Arch. That's true customization.

I switched to Linux two years ago, and I've never looked back.