The Inevitable, world-ending, Mac vs. PC debate

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Kelmourne, Jun 5, 2008.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Mac

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. PC

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Linux

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Other (Surprise me)

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    (Mac and non-mac hardware is pretty different when assembled as a whole. All the separate pieces are mainly the same as others, but the whole is different)

First off, I prefer the UI. Everything looks much nicer than on Windows and is also smoother. Then (though not Software), the trackpad.
    Many Windows machines' trackpads don't work at the same time as the keyboard, and the mac trackpad is the best in the world.

Then it's the Finder. Much easier to use than the Windows Explorer and faster too. The display of the files/folders more customisable too.

Then; Spotlight. It's basically a Google but for your computer: you can use it to search the web, wikipedia, anywhere in your user directory (not Library) and do calculations, use the dictionary, etc. All by pressing cmd-space. Much, much, much faster than Windows search too, as it is constantly indexing your stuff.

Now, simply that the Mac OS is much lighter than the Windows one; takes less CPU to run.

The Dashboard and now Launchpad, as well as Exposé are pretty awesome and ver fast. The Dock is really cool too.

The built in apps are of a much higher level than the Windows ones. iMove, iPhoto and GarageBand are amazing, the Appstore is just great, the Automator good for people with a little computing knowledge, AppleScript a great time-saver, Preview can look at .psd files and is much better and faster than the Windows picture-viewer, PhotoBooth is fun and useful, the Time Machine is amazing for backing up, FaceTime is great and iDVD comes in very useful.

Many of the best apps (for design and web-development/design) are on Mac but not Windows (true).

The UNIX Terminal (also on LINUX) is the most powerful thing ever created.

Ruby, Python and Perl come pre-installed.

The free Xcode app is the most amazing IDE ever.

They're all 64bit.

Basically: I've been using Windows and Mac for just as long as each other and I have a much greater preference for mac (going from iMac 2 [1998] to MacBook Pro 2011).

2. gouletc1

gouletc1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would have to agree on the track pad, I have yet to find a windows laptop that can even come withing miles of apples, but I am completely incapable of using track pads for some reason and need a mouse :). I find windows 7 index's quite well, but it is still snappier on mac still. I will forever feel like bootcamp is the most annoying thing ever though. As a person who understand computers well enough to build/do my own upgrades and repairs on them, I find macs to be resistant to being tampered with. I understand that the intention of apple is for their users to get the system repaired by a professional whenever an issue arises, but whenever you have someone else fix your computer its expensive as heck. That being said i just replaced the harddrive in a macbook pro, what felt like 5 billion screws later i got to it and replaced it with no issue, but on my lenovo there is labeling next to every screw telling me which ones to take out to access certain components. this is personal preference because i know alot of people could care less about these sorts of things. How do you feel about mac's pricing? To me it seems rather high in comparison of features, especially in the new 13" macbook pro, it doesnt have a gpu, its using intel hd3000, and its price-point is still over $1000, to me this feels exceptionally high for a glorified net-book (intels hd graphics is impressive for on cpu, but they totally blow at 3d rendering). Just want to hear your thoughts

3. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    About changing stuff, they're much more customisable than many people think. A friend of mine made his black MacBook have 4 GB of RAM, 2.4 GHz and quite a few extra things.

At least you can easily take the back off. Many modern computers are difficult to get into. The Mac Pro is the one made for customising, but costs a lot. It is extremely powerful though.

Pricing is high because Apple have always said that they'd make a 30% margin on everything (and they do). With the product, I'm happy. There must be a reason why Apple's products are the most sold.

About graphics and stuff, it's only the 13" that has a bad card, but it's still pretty good though (I play quite a few ported games on it).

What's wrong with bootcamp? It basically helps you run Windows on a separate partition.

And the Magic Mouse is really cool!

4. gouletc1

gouletc1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lack of backsupport with bootcamp makes it frustrating as heck(oh you want windows 7? well we dont release the newest bootcamp for leopard, buy snow leopard, oh that versions buggy? buy lion!) apple doesn't much enjoy supporting old things for some reason. In some respects moving foward is a good thing, but you just gotta have that support. While apple is a large company they are not the most sold, they only control predominant market share in tablets. In phones conceding defeat to android, and in computers, windows. My issue is that the 13" is comparatively priced with my Lenovo W520, which is a beast of a laptop. It may be ugly as can be but boy can it run things :). The mac pro has incredible processing power, but it comes at a significant price.

5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    It has the most sold as in separate models. Sure, you can see more Windows than Mac (though I'm seeing loads of macs now), but the MacBook Pro is the computer I've seen the most of the same model.

I have no problems at all with backwards support. We're still running one copy of OS 9 very nicely and we still have a Snow-Leopard.

And the updates cost nowhere near as much as Windows updates.

Another thing: auto-updatig is horrible on Windows. It keeps trying to restart the computer, makes me turn it off instead of restart and bugs a lot of the time. Mac updates are much better and less annoying.

Mac is also much safer virus-wise, as you need the user to accept to make a virus run, and the built-in virus-checkers are really good but not at all annoying (not had a virus in 13 years on Mac, but loads on multiple Windows).

And I forgot to mention Mail. Much better than Outlook and free, built-in.

6. Foxface Fan

Foxface Fan New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I used to run dual boot Ubuntu and Windows...but I stick with my PC

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I like Ubuntu, but unless you're a serious coder/hacker or only have that OS, then it's more of just a "Hey look, I've got Linux." (same goes for Fedora, Solaris, ...)

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, to throw some extra oil onto the fire... Here is an article about the demise of Apple as the professional's favourite.

I'm sorry... Windows wins.

9. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    HP isn't Windows.

Teaming up with Adobe? Adobe and Apple work together a lot and Adobe is much more for Apple than it is for Windows.

And one company? Most designers use Apple products. This is from people that work in the industry as pretty good professionals and they say that using macs is almost a mandatory unspoken rule. Web-desingners too seem to work on Apple more as well.

And have you actually seen what they've just released? MacBook Pro with Retina display, almost as thin as a MacBook Air (which has no substantial competition). They have just created a computer that can have no competition whatsoever and that is a designer's dream.

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    It says Adobe changed its manuals to show the screenshots in windows, not OSX, as it used to. It does say a lot about what Adobe thinks about where the Gates - Jobs line lies at this point in time.

Sure, a lot of designers still use Apple. They do so partly because they are used to working with Apple, not because it's the better choice. Apple currently is quite underpowered and overpriced. People tend to notice. And Windows 7 is not a bad alternative with a lot more potential in computational power.

11. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    Recently started using Linux on my laptop. If I only needed text editing and the internet, it'd be the best OS out there. Sadly, it has difficulty running games and audio mixing software :(

12. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    If I weren't interested in gaming or any high-end stuff (other than coding), then between Windows and LINUX I'd have to go for the latter.

I have seen no move that would be pushing people to Windows, especially designers; I've only heard of more and more people going over to Mac because of their having iPods, iPhones and/or iPads, which make them want a Mac.

I don't see how Adobe's manuals could have originally shown Windows screenshots, seeing as before Photoshop 3, it was exclusively Mac. And now they use Mac when showing features and everything.

And Apple is a much larger company than Microsoft. All though more people in the world have Windows than Mac, Apple is much bigger and more people are happy with their Mac than with their Windows (same with iOS and Android).

And it's true that Macs are a very high price, that's simply because Steve Jobs decided that they'd take 30% of everything they sold, so it has to be a high price.

But underpowered? The Mac Pro and the new MacBook Pro with Retina are very powerful (and Retina is only Apple), the MacBook Air is also much more powerful than its counterparts and has outdistanced the ultrabook market by far.

And there is a much larger percentage of Windows users on older version than of Mac users on older versions. This is something that comes from there being more Windows machines: many companies buy Windows machines (Mac was originally created for the individuals) and then don't upgrade them for a rather long time.

And Windows isn't UNIX.

13. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but there's a thing about Retina. Apple quadrupled the resolution on the new MacBook Retina edition. Whilst retaining the same GPU. That's asking something...

So the resolution is 2880 x 1800. Apart from complying to 16:9, nothing really is native on that resolution. Except from photo editing, it's not really handy.

I'd have to admit that the GTX 650M is pretty strong. It is, however, not top-of-the-line. It's not something I'd match up with 1800p; 1080p at most.

So, no. The new 15" MacBook Pro Retina is not a product I understand.

Oh, and that laptop does not - by a long shot - comply to ultrabook specs, which is meant to be very lean and power friendly.

14. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I'm working in a biochemistry lab right now, and the system is macs.
    A few guys have windows, but they complain about it. Only one guy is happy with his non-mac OS and that's the programmer, who has Ubuntu (which is awesome).

Movie editing and photo editing is amazing on the retina, and although you might not think it's needed for other tasks, it just makes the experience that much more awesome. Just looking at the iPhone with Retina and the one without is amazing, but a 15" screen? Wow!

It's true that Macs never have top-of-the line (except for Mac Pros), but then you only want the best if you're movie/3D editing or gaming, and for that you'd always use a custom-built machine, which could be a Mac Pro.

And I've only started hearing about Ultrabooks since the MacBook Air became famous in 2011. One thing I hear a lot about it is its great battery life. And I've used it a bit and seen it in use and its amazing.

The only way we can see the great difference between Apple products and others, is that its Apple that makes them widely used and famous: personal one-piece computer, iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, Retina.

15. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've owned my Macbook Pro for about 3/4 of a year now and I must admit, I have warmed up to it. It doesn't frustrate me quite as much now as when I first got it and I'm much more comfortable using. I do however much prefer using PC and I think I always will. There's just so many things that are easier to do on a PC than on a Mac.

16. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Which is funny, as I find it the other way round.

I guess it all depends on what you learn with: we've always had and used both, but Mac OS 9 beat Windows '95 fair and square, and I much prefer Mac now, as I'm more used to it (and it suits exactly what I do).

17. NBalchemist

NBalchemist New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've only ever used PC, because that's what I grew up using. I think my elementary school had Macs for a few years, but I don't really remember a huge difference between the two.

Also, I prefer PC because it seems like there's a lot more available for it, or you have to wait a super long time for something to be made for the Mac.

18. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    That's only applicable for games.

People had to wait for version three of Photoshop for it to be available on Windows.

It took at least a year (maybe two) for Microsoft Office to be available on Windows.

A lot of web-design software is made for macs, and is missing on Windows (CodeKit, TextMate, etc.).

19. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I dig my Mac I use at work, but I find Windows kicks its ass for browsing network shares and folder structures. Just a better interface for getting more detail, easier, and faster.

Basic computer operation ie emails, internet etc - doesn't matter.

I work in a mixed Mac and PC environment, and whoever says Mac makes you pay more because it's built to a higher standard is wrong. They break just as often as PCs. In fact, in my time here I'd say it'd be 60% Mac repairs, 40% PC repairs. At least.

20. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    In my time: no mac problems, having to fix the windows every so often.

And I absolutely HATE the Windows file browsing system. Not from comparing to mac, but I just hate it. I get so frustrated with it.