The Inevitable, world-ending, Mac vs. PC debate

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Kelmourne, Jun 5, 2008.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Mac

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. PC

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Linux

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Other (Surprise me)

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Reece56364

Reece56364 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Never had a mac..Always had pc :D

Im a pc and windows 7 was MY idea.

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Windows 7 is good, but soooo many things from it are copied off the Mac OSX. My friends have Windows 7, and I have Mac.

Also, for viruses, (speaking from experience)in one year on a windows you'll get about twenty, while in fifteen years on Mac... none.

3. Akkarin Shadow

Akkarin Shadow New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Mac...its too fancy=complicated

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -0

Then you have never used an Apple product.

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    I used itunes once (thats apple right?) I HATED it.
    It kept doing all these things itself trying to be helpful and stuff. bleh I wanted control over things not it!!
    Took me ages to do a 5 min process with it -- never ever been back since! (it was on my sisters laptop at the time). I might not know all behind a windows operation but I hate when software tries to treat you like a fool and do it all for you - because half the time it never quite does what you want it to; which is fine if you're not thinking or you don't know what it is you want to do; but its a nightmare when you do.

6. gouletc1

gouletc1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, i have to agree that mostly it is personal preference, but there are a few points that drive me crazy about apple that are relatively irrefutable . The first is the price. There is absolutely no need to charge the amounts that they charge. For the price you pay for a macbook pro, you can get a fair amount more capable windows laptop. Another issue that i have is the releasing of incremental changes to their OS (some of these changes are mainly bug fixes, with a few new features) and charging people for them. After owning windows 7 for quite some time now, I have never been asked to pay for any updates provided. Also, i can't remember the last time i got a virus on windows 7, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. All in all i like windows.

7. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Mac's are virtually never used in any field that requires high-end computing. Serious computer-users build their own machines, which immediately rules out a Mac as an option, because you can't build your own. Most serious computer work is done on Linux based custom O/S's.

8. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +304 / 3 / -0
    I've said it once and I'll say it again... Mac's were built for one thing,, multimedia. Now Pc's have raised that bar and are far superior with their ram and graphics, PC's have taken over.. Mac's these days are almost obsolete.. Mac computer even have PC components in the now! PC ram, PC processors! I mean come on. I'm a graphic designer.. I learned my tade on macs.. To be honest I was never bias toward either until I released Pc's did the job more efficiently.

then the amusing thing is if someone brings in art work (vector drawings) designed on a mac and I have to open it on another mac.. if my mac version of lets say illustrator isnt the same, it open ****s up! all the vectors are screwed and the colours aren't right! Yet I'll have the same version on pc and its fully compatible.. so if mac doesn't work with mac.. but works from mac to pc... helloooo?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -0

Why would your clients submit piecemeal Illustrator files?.. why aren't they using a pagemaker program like InDesign or Quark?.. for that matter why haven't you gone to a pdf workflow? We use both PC and Mac servers, PC and Mac workstations, and because it's all pdfs everything is backward compatible.

Macs are obsolete?.. not in the printing industry they're not.

10. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I have been told by an advertiser and a designer that only macs are used in his work, and a lot in graphics design. Games-Workshop use them, Adobe use them, most web-designers use them.
    Mac is shooting up the market. More games are coming to the Mac. Already, not calling Mac a PC is simply showing that it is better, as it is a Personal Computer.

I believe that people use what they want, mac or PC. I have used one as much as the other and much prefer Mac.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -0

You are correct, in the Graphics/Publishing/Advertising fields Macs are just about all that's used on the creative end. As for Game Workshops and Corporations... I think many use proprietary software, that is they develop their own hybrid software... though I believe most of it runs PC.

Certainly for people who haven't any experience on a computer, older folks and very young kids, nothing beats a Mac for ease of use. I mean heck, you take the thing out of the box, plug it into the internet, turn it on for the first time... and in most cases the introduction software has the novice user up and going and on the internet in ten minutes... and buying iTunes. :)

12. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    That's what I love about macs!
    We spent the whole day setting up a Windows machine at a friend's house, whilst I pulled this computer out of the box, pressed the power button and within 5 minutes was browsing the internet.

13. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    That's what I love about macs!
    We spent the whole day setting up a Windows machine at a friend's house, whilst I pulled this computer out of the box, pressed the power button and within 5 minutes was browsing the internet.

And then from ease-of-use, you can go to high-end programming and developing very easily. Listening to a web-dev podcast today and they all just assumed that the others (and those listening) have macs.

***Sorry for double-post. TFF bugged***

For mac enthusiasts (like myself) there's this great website: http://www.codez4mac.com/forum/index.php?r=200448

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  14. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    what's the fun in that??

No, you can have an off-the-shelf Win7 PC in working order in about 5 minutes, and the same goes for Vista. Building your own is, of course, a different cup of tea. I'm sure that's not something for all to digest. But building and installing your own, knowing your machine inside and out is a big, huge reward that Apple doesn't offer easily.

Even the laptop I use now. Some of the first things I did was strip a few pieces out and install upgrades and finished of with a reinstall (which sort of comes naturally after having replaced the hard drive). You can wing something like that on an Apple, but Cupertino will go at some lenght to prevent you from doing just that. For that reason alone, I think Apple products as a whole are best avoided carefully.

And it's what AA said. There is no need anymore to buy an Apple. People in graphics and design still use Apples because they have used them in the past. All valid, of course. But it's not because they're better equipped for the job. I do respect that Apple has a different design philosophy than Microsoftm both aesthetically and in terms of user interface, that's fine as well. Personally, I prefer Microsoft - simply because it's a technical approach to the matter. I suppose Mac OS appeals much more to the left side of the brain...

Ow. And before I forget. Yes, Macs are less prone to viruses than Windows PC's. The reason for this is not really because Macs are built safer. The main reason is that very few people actually use a Mac. They are, however, not by any means virus proof. Indeed, Mac users are lulled into a sort of false sense of security. So... please stop using that as an arguement :)

15. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I find that with macs it's not viruses, but Malware. For a virus to take action on a mac you need to enter your admin password and the computer asks you whether you want such-and-such a program to make connections. i.e. break your computer.

I have a few friends who have (re)built their own macs and have no problems. They've changed many things and all that. One of them's old macbook is just as good as a new macbook pro.

More and more people are buying macs nowadays. In a very short time it went from 8% to 11% of people using them. Now I see them all over the place (UK, US, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Norway, etc.).
    Designers use them more because macs are actually better: Preview can read gazillions of file types, and there are certain things that are much more simple than on Windows.
    Coding is much better, as the Mac has the UNIX Terminal (also on Linux) which is the most evolved coding tool there (I don't use t much though).

16. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I have always been a huge PC fan. Over the years I've had a lot of desktop PC's and laptop PC's. A coupe of weeks ago I bought my first ever mac. I only get it because I needed it for my University course. I got a MacBookPro. So far I don't like it as much as a PC. There seems to be a lot of simple things it can't do that are natural on a PC. But I've only had it a couple of weeks. I'm still getting used to it, and it does have some nice features (being a sexy looking machine is just one). I must say though, if I didn't need to get one for school I probably wouldn't have chosen to get one.

17. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    What do you find it can't do?

BTW: That's a good uni!

18. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm just not as comfortable with it. I don't like the keyboard shortcuts, and the keyboard sensitivity is different to my PC, so it takes me longer to type things because the Caps button hardly ever registers. There's also heaps of other things I'm just not comfortable with yet.

19. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Mainly hardware then. I had a problem with the keyboard too, but now that I'm used to it I love it.

20. gouletc1

gouletc1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity what do you find about OSx that you find better than windows 7? Thats where the real difference in these two systems come in. For all intensive pruposes windows computers and macs are running very similar hardware. I love my windows 7 computer, but i would very much like to hear what you think of mac's.