The Inevitable, world-ending, Mac vs. PC debate

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Kelmourne, Jun 5, 2008.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Mac

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. PC

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Linux

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Other (Surprise me)

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

Top Poster Of Month

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I say Mac vs. PC but really there are 4 options.

My vote: PC because I am more used to the interface and more games work on it.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    Far as I know - and I might be wrong 0 but does not linux only work on windows based components - ie common PC components and not Mac based hardware?

Besides they all have up and down points - Mac has a lot going good for it - especially if you are into image manipulation or graphic work. It also has the advantage that all its hardware is made by a single company so there is not the host of compatability problems that PC owners are lumbered with.
    However Mac have the downside of not being the leaders in the market - that is important if you are working with a company/school which uses a PC (windows) based operating system as you then have to use a windows emulator on your mac -- might as well use pure windows.
    After that there is not the gaming support for Mac that there is for PC (windows) which is why I am a windows (Vista) user.

Linux is fine - if you have half a clue and more about basic programming and compter operation then you can use it to your hearts content to good effect. If you don't then its a uphull struggle to learn those skills to get the best out of it - most people can't be bothered to learn and remain with windows (Linux also has compatability issues at points)

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It's never a debate when it comes to this. It's all about personal preference and bashing.

Btw Linux = OS. Mac and PC = not OS. Linux doesn't really fit there :S

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    MAC

I don't understand how you could not like them, unless you were very into computer games, in which case you would almost have to have Windows. In every other respect Mac > Windows.

5. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It's because the MAC OS is inferior and their hardware can't really compete with a PC's. They're just nice to look at. So at best, a Mac with Windows OS lol

6. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    i work in an electronics store and we don't sell macs. they are just a status symbol nowadays, u walk past a coffee shop and see them but that's about it

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I've never really seen the advantages of a Mac unless you are into graphics designing, or a similar field.

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Well, I am a (Windows-) PC man, although I have to say that I have very little experience with Mac.

Let's face it, PC offers a little more choice and, although Windows isn't quite stable, that shouldn't be a real problem for PC nutters :)

Mac might be more stable, less receptable to virusses and the choice of some professionals in the graphical industry. But I am not in the graphic industry - and I happen to enjoy tweaking about a bit with my PC. On the other hand, I have no idea how easy it is to exchange and upgrade Macs. With a PC, that has never been a problem. On a sidenote, I have also always enjoyed building my own PCs, which is a big no with the Mac.

Linux is intersting, if no more than that. Especially Ubuntu has gained my interest in recent years. Still, the problem with Linux is compatibility, both on the software and hardware side. The new UMPC's seem to have taken a liking to Ubuntu and Sugar variations, and I must say that they are really suitable for these; Linux always fancied keeping a light system, which means you can make better used of the limited capacity of these tiny computers. Besides, the regular uses of these pc's seem to revole around office application, for which just about any OS is suitable.

Still, as far as Apple vs. Microsoft goes: I don't believe either has the better ethics. Since the release of the iPod - iTunes systems, I have lost faith in the goodwill of Apple. In the end, it seems, that they are as much about the money as Microsoft is. And if they gain themselves a near-monopoly, then they will simply try to cling to it, just as MS does. So that makes a draw on that part...

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I awlays imagine that people over-exaggerate their PC problems, such and virsues and BSODing. If you take care of your computer carefully enough, you shouldn't suffer any real problems. The only reason that a PC is really more susceptible is because more viruses, etc are intentionally made for PC than they are for Mac.

Tbh, the Mac OS has weaker defences than Windows, as a clocked test showed that it took only a short amount of time to gain root access to the Mac OS in comparison to Windows.

Yes, you are right Turam, Mac's are very customisable when you comapre them to a PC, which a lot of computer users are fond of doing.

PC is also compatible with more things than Mac, but that's just my experience, maybe Mac has improved their compatibility.

10. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0

in my experience there are more failures amongst ipods than other mp3 players

11. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    PC.
    Wouldn't have it any other way :p

12. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Well, I never actually owned an iPod - I stick to Creative to supply mine. I do have friends with various models, and in my experience the vital connection between iTunes and iPod is prone to mishaps, since the iTunes-iPod upgrade program his a very bad track record.

As to the acclaimed sound quality of an iPod... well, more than half of the sound quality is in the headphones you're using. But then again, Creative is a good match for what iPod offers - and it comes with a lot more user-friendly options and compatibility with Windows. Accepting it doesn't actually look like an iPod (which is the only remaining selling argument), the superiority of other, top-notch brands becomes obvious very quickly...

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well, I actually have defected to the ipod side. I think they're quite good. Nice, easy interface, looks cool, and it attracts the wimminz if you got the new hi-tech one :p

Not had any problems with mine until recently (been many years), where my scroller won't work so well because I've pressed that >> button so many times to skip songs lol

14. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    pc for gaming, linux on a pc for other stuff. :p

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You running a dual OS system?

16. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    nah, i have linux on one of my other computers when i need to real work on it.

17. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    While I recognize you (the generic you) may not represent their market, Apple now has over 14% of the US market and it sells 66% of all high end machines. Every other computer maker is reporting slowdowns in sales and frankly Apple is eating their lunch.

Read the entire analysis here at
    http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...pples-market-share-of-pcs-over-1000-hits-66/?

And yes Apple sells more expensive machines. But apparently these machines are doing what people want. They aren't just in the graphics industry, you guys who think so should know Macs are everywhere on the desktops of most major companies in the computer industry.

I go to a couple dozen high end academic and computer related conferences a year. People with PC hardware are in the definite minority now and have been for some time. If you have a "C" in your title like CTO, CEO, CSO, etc, chances are you use a Mac. If you are in the secruity group of most companies, chances are also good you use Macs along with some PCs. And yes Mac hardware runs any version of Linux/BSD/Unix just fine. We run our home servers on Linux and have for years on old Macs as we upgrade hardware.

Seriously, even in the hacking community like at Defcon, CCC, Shmoocon, TorCon, etc PC laptops are fewer and fewer.

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's just a familiararity thing. I never really got along with the Mac OSX's interface.

How is Mac on their customability now days Tamzen? Are they allowing for users to more freely modify?

Looks to me that all those high company positions are using Mac's because it's "cool" to use one because they have good aesthetics. Then again that's just my perception.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  19. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

Top Poster Of Month

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I think the interface issue is just a matter of what your used to. I too take a computer course in the summer a couple years ago with macs. By the end of it I was just as used to the interface as with a PC. But yeah, it's just what you use it for. I use my PC for gaming so I got a PC.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It's not that I was unable to use it. I just didn't really like it.