"The Hobbit" Comic book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Patkun, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Patkun

Patkun Patkun, lover of bread

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone read the 'The Hobbit' graphic novel?
    I have, and I felt it severely lacking, especially as I had planned to adapt the book for some time, just as a hobby, before reading this inferior comic.
    I plan to continue with my project, to prove that I can.
    At the moment I'm only in the planning/sketching stage. I'll have to change some stuff to make it more visual, and more suited to the issue format. these are all I have thought of so far:

*Each Dwarf needs a distinct personality-- they are often referred to as a collective in the text.

*Bolg, son of Azog needs to be more prominant, as he is involved with the end of the story.

*The goblin/Dwarf wars could be discussed in greater detail, most likely by Thorin, who fought in them.

*Is it impossible for a hobbit to grow a beard, or is it just a traditional thing?

Do you think I should make it so that it would correspond to the films (Sting & Glamdring, what a goblin looks like, dwarven architecture, etc.)?
    I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this subject.

2. Blackfish

Blackfish Blood Angels' 5th co.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I saw it too, and i totally agree.

3. Zanven

Zanven Cult Classic Connoisseur

Sitting In A Bunker, Here Behind My Wall.
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I dislike comic adaptions of Books most of the time anyway, but as for your own version, Be orignal and make them look like what the have always looked like in your Minds-Eye. Otherwise it would just be a knock off of Jacksons version = ) Good luck with your project.

*EDIT* As for Hobbits with beards, there were three types of Hobbits, Harfoots, Stoors, and Fallohides. The inhabitants of the Marish down by the Brandywine, were "..rather large and heavy-legged, and they wore dwarf-boots in muddy weather. But they were well known to be Stoors in a large part of thier blood, as indeed shown by the down that many grew on thier chins" Leading us to believe that Hobbits of Stoorish bloodline grew beards = ) Hope that helps with your project.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  4. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I've read it, and I've got it. I only read it once though, and I agree with what you've said. But it is aimed at children, and realistically, I wouldn't want to balloon it out to another 500 pages to work in all the detail. I think it works best for those who've already read The Hobbit, but difficulty picturing the images (not that they should be used as a definitive representation).