The Hedge Knight

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone read this story, or even the comic ? I know you can buy issues 1-6 in a paperback form from Amazon.com, but Ive yet to see the short story ? Is it in the Legends book ? And is it any good ? Also, what the hell does "Hedge Knight" mean anyway, the word has been used many times in ASOIAF.

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The term seems to describe a very poor knight. Maybe cause the only place he can afford to sleep is under a hedge? :confused:

edit: Found a link telling us what it means. lol http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/109224291419606.htm

What is a Hedge Knight? Apparently, these knights are men of honor who search for a lord to serve. Once they finish their duty, they are released from their servitude and are free to find another lord to serve. In between tours, they engage in tournaments where knights engage in contests of might, skill and physical prowess, earning enough money to live off of until they find a new Lord to serve. This all sounds much like the normal lifestyle of the medieval knights, but it sounds much more like mercenary work to me.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  3. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Wow, very cool. Thanks Nienor :D

4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    A mercenary who has taken a Knight's vows perhaps?

5. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've read both The Hedge Knight and the follow-up, The Sworn Sword. Both are very good (though the second is much slower). :) And yes, Hedge Knight can be found in Legends (although Legends can hardly be found anywhere anymore) and The Sworn Sword in Legends II.

A Hedge Knight is, if I remember correctly, a knight that hasn't been knighted yet but is working at it (for example by working as an apprentice to a 'real' knight). Though I may very well be wrong. ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  6. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I think you are referring to a squire.

Search tags for this page

wallpaper falagar