The future of the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midnattblod, Jul 29, 2014.

1. kwlanford

kwlanford Active Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -2
    Somewhere along the way we have given government far too much power. They can take your land from you. Take your business from you. But at least in Texas they will never take my guns!

2. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Would you stop ruining our "the world is going to end any minute now," fun. I find doom saying to be very cathartic ok?

Seriously, not every attempt to predict the future fails. In fact this jerk makes a good living at it. http://www.predictioneersgame.com/ (be warned. He really is an arrogant jerk). We still have a long way to go before we can precisely predict the future, but simulation modeling is allowing us to get better at it. Also there may be someone who saw the internet coming, http://thetyee.ca/Books/2007/01/08/MarkTwain/

Besides, part of the reason some of these doom and gloom events don't happen may be, because, the doom and gloom predictions are alarms that people respond to.

Maybe I should get on with that "Is the government getting too powerful?" thread. Can everyone give me a few weeks? I have some research to do before I start it, and real life issues slow me down. May we wait for this discussion?

3. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    no no, i think a spot of realism is needed. sometimes i get, i don't know how to explain, tunnel vision i guess, and i'm pissed at the powers that be. but big picture is big picture, talking about open rebellion isn't open rebellion. Sparrow is right.

• Like Like x 1
  4. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes he/she is. I was kind of kidding.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Also, sometimes it's no more than I'm simply older than most of you guys and I've seen these things come and go enough times. Governments and Corporations can indeed be dangerous, even in democratic societies. What I've noticed over my years, is that the majority can be wrong and become a sort of mob mentality.
    Btw, what you have going in your neck of the wood... is what I would consider to be fairly positive. Citizens stepping up against a corporation when their government doesn't address the problem is I think a great thing. It sure beats apathy.

6. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    i think we're close to the same age (39 here)

7. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    We should restart that "how old are TFF members" thread, if there ever was one. Also, that predictions guy hasn't updated stuff on the blog since 2011, not sure what to think about that. Maybe ISIS was a curveball he didn't see coming.

8. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Not updating must be for another reason, because 2011 was before ISIS really exploded, though it highlights a weakness in his approach.

The way his system works, is he ask relevant parties, or experts on said parties, "what do you(he/she) want, and how much do you(he/she) want it? Making a scale on this simple method, he can predict human behavior with 90% accuracy.

What goes wrong with the 10%? Ether someone does something selfless, or there's a relevant party he never thought to ask. ISIS may be such a party.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  9. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Kinda feels like things are going to hell in a handbasket, but it does seem kinda tame compared to nuclear holocaust... then again I think there might be some parallels between the issues now and some of the issues just prior to wwii. Saber rattling is all, at least I hope.

10. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    What do all of you think of self-replicating environmental-resource-gathering nanite constructs? "Benevolent grey goo" is one way to put the general idea. How long will it take to get developed, or will it ever get developed?

11. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    It'll be developed as soon as it becomes economical to do so.

12. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    once we develop it we'd never need another factory... grumblegrumble

13. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    What is the future of the world? Well, I have this secret hope that we'll all get to eat chocolate then go home to our mums.

• Like Like x 5
  14. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I have no idea what the future holds in store but I think "utopia" is not in the cards. Why? I think we don't learn anything or grow unless we mess up and make mistakes. Perfection invites complacency and a tendency to keep the status quo. There's little impetus to change or move forward unless there's a problem to solve. Evolution certainly suggests that. Personally, I (I won't say "we" because everybody has different beliefs about this stuff) think that's why I spend part of my existence in a body at all. I think there's something I'm supposed to learn from the experience and that contributes to my personal evolution.
    Matter and energy are interchangeable: one is only a special case of the other. I think a world will be here in one form or other as long as life needs it to be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I personally tend to imagine the future of the world like it is described in prophecies and things foretold by medieval and modern saints,elders and other pious figures of Orthodox Christianity.

16. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    As in... the Last Judgment? D:

17. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    No,most of the Elders,Saints and even some individuals that were very pious (for example Emperor Leo VI the Wise,Byzantine Emperor),talk about a big war that will happen.More specifically some Elders have said that it will start when Turkey makes a provocation towards Greece and Russia,for her own reasons,will attack Turkey,but some European countries and USA with NATO will not allow it.
    In another text about this prophecy it says "Cry of war comes from Bulgaria,Russia suddenly invades Turkey and like an unstoppable river sweeps over Persia and moves unstoppable to Palestine".Elder Paisios had also mentioned that there will be two "half-times" in the conflict and mentions Palestine and the Dead Sea.
    Most if not all of the prophecies and things told by Saints and Elders,talk about there will be a great slaughter in Constantinople(Istanbul)and that the Europeans and others will fight each other,then ally themselves and fight Russia.It is said that the people will be so desperate and cry to God for mercy.The Lord will make a sign visible to all(in some sources a Star like the one that appeared when Christ was born,will appear in the sky for 3 days.Another source even says "and beneath the star,a red cross will gleam,fiery,all red...."
    Anyway,in a few words there will be a big sign,a clear and indisputable miracle of God,the war will cease with the voice of an angel and a man chosen by God will be presented as a leader.In Greek it is the fullfilment of the prophecy or legend of the "Marble King" I guess,but many Russian Elders and Saints who had foretold with detail the coming of the revolution,civil war and the return of Russia to the Orthodox Faith before all that happened,had said that he will be a Tsar forechosen by the Lord.The entire world will go through a period of peace and prosperity,but only for a while.

Actually I have many of the sources that I could c/p you and I'll be glad to do so,but I don't want any trolls to come mocking.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I had read that Elder Paisios was homosexual?.. would he be the first gay saint?

19. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Who knows? Oh wait, God does! :D

j/k, sorry. But seriously, that's an interesting theory. Would make for an interesting (fantasy?) film plot. :p

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I knew it was a bad idea to come back to this forum.