The future of the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midnattblod, Jul 29, 2014.

1. kwlanford

kwlanford Active Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -2
    Maybe humans are too stupid to go extinct. The world has already ended twice in my life time! Once in 1999! Then again when the Mayan calendar reset!

• Like Like x 2
  2. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough. We humans have been through a lot, and there have been many challenges we've successfully met. Sill, it's not easy for me to be optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Skepticism is well warranted and welcome. It is good to remember our flaws so we can plot to overcome them. I was once way more of a skeptic until I realized the insanity of the technology we have. It is humble enough on the cosmic scale but the history and effort behind it can't be for naught to me.

4. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +524 / 3 / -0
    all of the stuff you guys have shared is very interesting, and I agree with all of it. I never said it would go dark just like that, and if I did I didn't mean it like that, but I feel as though eventually all the technology and everything will either become obsolete, or something will happen that causes it to just stop working. this could be a massive solar flare, larger then the one that happened on December 21st of 2012, or it could be an all out nuclear war causing a worldwide emp, I don't know, but I feel like it'll happen eventually. it might happen in our lifetime, or it might happen hundreds of years from now, but yea. I do think WW3 is right around the corner though. there's just too much instability forming in countries that have been stable for a century now, excluding Russia and Ukraine of course because that whole region has only been stable for a couple decades now.
    if something big should happen in my lifetime though, I just hope that we as a species are able to survive it, and try again and hopefully finally learn from mistakes made in the past and more recent. let me ask you this though, why is everyone getting involved into something that is happening in Ukraine, even before the unfortunate plane crash? why is the US so involved, it's half way across the frickin planet. I think, if WW3 should happen, the west have only themselves to blame. and I do think it will be sparked by the whole Ukraine incident because Russia is going to bite back with all these economical sanctions being put on them. why should the US and EU have any right to decide that they're going to fuck up another countries entire economy? (sorry for the language, and just note it's not pointed towards anyone here) I think the EU is definitely making a bad move on their part because most every country, minus a few, get at least a tenth of the oil from Russia, and most get more then a quarter. just my two cents

5. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Predictions:

There will STILL be wars in the Middle East
    The USA won't be the only superpower
    Terrorists will keep suicide-bombing
    Rise of genetically-modified humans
    Bioengineered plague outbreak
    New Cold War
    Private space corporations will spearhead interplanetary exploration
    Wars will be increasingly done via machines
    Photorealistic gaming
    Fusion will still be "twenty years from now"
    The USA's deficit will break the quadrillion mark
    Inflation will mean 100 USD for an apple
    Age records broken again
    Moore's law will finally fail us
    Increasingly stark contrast between more "liberal" West and "conservative" East
    Caucasian becomes a minority in the USA
    Cheap and efficient solar finally comes of age
    Wireless electricity makes waves
    USA elects a woman to the Presidency for the first time
    Concerns over LGBTQQ rights pushes the US Congress to instate a new Amendment
    The poor get poorer, and the super-rich get richer
    Another stock market crash, rumors of impending revolution and anarchy
    More major cities around the world go bankrupt, martial law in some, anarchy in others
    Recreational marijuana legalized in most Western nations
    Terrorist attack on another major world landmark pushes the UN to make even more Orwellian restrictions
    Global currency attempt fails, again.
    Nanotech finally gets moving
    Lake Meade dries up completely, pushing Southwestern USA to turn to desalination and water recycling
    Deserts continue to expand due to poor agricultural techniques in third world nations
    Sea level rise becomes a major concern in prominent coastal cities
    Religious revival in some Western nations creates cultural rifts
    Inflation continues regardless of attempts to staunch it
    Wearable tech becomes commonplace
    Flying cars and jetpacks are available to the super-rich, but are used mainly as toys and curiosities
    Many impoverished individuals are pushed out of some cities as the rich move back in and raise rental costs
    Peak oil finally comes, prompting major governments to finally turn to either war or renewables
    Ethanol gains steam

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Wars as unsettling as they are usually force great leaps in science and technology for people to one up each other. That and being a large arms dealer the US usually sees an economic surge at some point during or after a war.

As far as calling ourselves human it might take us back a few notches but unless it is a nuclear holocaust it could actually cement powers that be further.

I can't blame you for getting mad about global politics, like grumpycroc has shown with all those sources things are looking a bit rougher than the usual mess. Because the US still has to strong-arm everybody into showing we are the #1 world power by being the world's police that doesn't help matters.

Also everything Magus posted sounds possible except flying cars. The notion of flying cars drives me mad. We already have planes and they are super expensive and could be doing serious environmental damage. I think our work is cut out just making planes more efficient. I'd also probably shift my money off nanotechnology to bet on materials engineering instead. The latter could lead to the former though, hell materials engineering could make planes more efficient.

• Like Like x 2
  7. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Involved? I didn't realize America and Europe did anything before the plane was shot down, other than put sanctions on a few people who probably weren't going to go leave Russia anyways.

As far as I knew, it was, because, we intervened so little in Ukraine a plane was shot down. Other woes will surly befall nations that ignore chaos in the world, for like a disease it spreads. Of course there are caveats. If a nation intervenes the wrong way, then disaster will spread all the more. My country of America has failed to learn this many a time. Furthermore if my country intervenes in the affairs of other nations to stop chaos, then it is only fair that other nations intervene in the affairs of mine to stop chaos.

It is a delicate line to walk, and my prediction is, that we humans shall fail to remain balanced, as we have for centuries.

The U.N. doing something? Ha! I doubt it. If you are really worried have a sling shot on hand. That should be munificent deterrent.

Global currency will not fail. Oil will make a fine currency soon enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +524 / 3 / -0
    I have a funny feeling that the US will be one of the first to implode upon itself. all the bitching back and forth in the congress and whatnot, hell our government has already been 'canceled' (not sure what the term is, maybe suspended) a few times now because everyone in Washington are a bunch of blockheads. I feel like this whole situation is gonna give our 'leader' the opportunity to try pulling out the martial law card, at which point heads are gonna roll.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Bipartisanship is here to to stay. People could end it if we quit voting on party lines and voted by individual platforms instead but the weight behind the two parties would just choke it out. Our politics hasn't been healthy for awhile though, we might as well be picking our favorite color.

Washington people are conniving but it is the voters that really need to polish their pallet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    we're getting closer and closer to open rebellion here.
    the budget has yet to be passed, we have a government elected on lies.
    82% of people want the budget blocked, support for the government is the lowest in Australia's history. it is now illegal to lock your gate in Qld in case mining executives want to come on your land and "survey"
    something bad is coming. i think it will start with the death of some mining execs, maybe some politicians.

11. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    rebellion, and then the government gets an excuse to send in the military and declare a "state of emergency" to take the absolute control it always wanted to have.

12. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hey look on the bright side, if the government has to struggle to build a website then enforcing martial laws is probably too complicated for it.

Wow! That's severe! You serious?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Doesn't that just mean that some cities get complete anarchy with the cartels and gangs with machineguns taking over like warlords, and other cities get martial law? Dark Age 2.0, yay. Rome fell from an overly lax immigration policy and bloated free-food programs, along with a complacent populace that depended far too much on a powerful military that wanted to expand forever. Looks like this branch of the old empire is going down the same way.

14. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    I believe it will come to violence, yes.
    maybe not open rebellion, but something bad is going to happen

15. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    But none of this stuff ever happens, leastwise in civilized countries. I think back when I was entering adulthood and what the world was like, the Cold War and the threat of nuclear holocaust, religious people saying the year 2000 would be the beginning of the End Times... my goodness, it's all this time gone by and I'm pretty much wearing the same style of clothes, driving a car that's not all that much different than my first car, and everything is the same... except the internet!
    Isn't funny that hardly anyone saw the internet coming.o_O

• Like Like x 1
  16. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    we've already had an armed community bar entry of a mining company. they had massive public support, forcing the NSW state Gov to back down and put a hold on the mining permit till after the state election.
    these weren't soldiers, they were regular people.

17. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    The Australia situation keeps sounding worse and worse but a civil war is a step above that. If it does escalate more hopefully there will be just one tragedy before world powers frown stoically at Australian leaders compelling them to pass the baton.

18. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    USA's had a civil war. wasn't pretty.

19. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    The big difference is other world powers though that and how information spreads like wildfire. If things start to go south in a first world country I can't imagine everybody standing idly by and not intervening. If not soon global public backlash would force world leaders to make an ultimatum or not get re-elected.

It could become another Kent State but the slogan "The whole world is watching" would never be truer.

20. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    i don't think any protests have been violent yet, the violence is squarely aimed at mining companies atm, just a lot of grumbling and threats against the gov.