The Finding of Hluin

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Unien, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My elves are different! Instead of being SUPERIOR...they are INFERIOR and spat upon...sometimes. Thanks, Wing Rider.

I do promise, by the Star Kings, that Tamassi's story does continue...

2. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ~XVII~
    Surprises in Cocáe

Nath’Elien’Sokari—Shemar of Flame, Haeqyoes, and Youngest—looked over the northern hill above Cocáe—the Second-capital of Corussus—with colourless Coulanish eyes. They scanned the area within this four-hilled valley as well. There were ancient ruins of walls that had existed once, but no more, only monuments to a greater Era.
    Nath—as he was sometimes called—had scruffy black hair and a very skilled emotionless face. He wore a poncho with the Coulan sigil and his double-bladed spear-sword was slung across his back. A braid from the side of his head hung over his shoulder. Few had the honour of the braid. His honour was unearned—earned by his parents maybe—but not him.
    Nath was Youngest, for that was his title. Not youngest of a family, but Youngest of the Coulani. He was a breakthrough, a miracle. After the War of the Four Races, Coulani could not reproduce. And everyone knew that roughly every Coulani was older than Two-thousand years. He was younger than one-thousand. Making him a true miracle, there was none other like him.
    He sat atop a Coulanish stallion—far superior to any regular stallion. They were taller, stronger, and it was easier to speak with them. Unlike himself, his horse—Dark—was well-groomed, it stamped impatiently while just standing atop a hill. On the opposite side, on the south hill, was a shadowy manor. The Manor of Lord Thome. That was where his wife—Aya’na’Sokari—had vacationed and was where he had sought after taking leave for a few days from Ayenna.
    He did not wear his adamant armour for fear of grabbing attention. Al he wanted was to slip in, grab Aya, and ride home. Home to Xuqidp Kuqi—unknown to any but Coulani that it was the most beautiful city in the world. The atmosphere was depressing, the grey sky reflected upon the gray clouds, and cold winds were rising. Ruffling his hair, and chilling his body beneath the poncho.
    Nath looked upon the manor across the valley, and then down at the small city, nestled like a babe beneath a mother’s breasts. In fact, Cocáe was barely above the line of “Large Town” Just barely, was it a city at all.
    Swiftly, he kicked Dark into motion, and rode downhill, trying to stay in the grass where the noise of hooves would not be as loud. He stopped about two kilometers out of the village, and sat behind a ruined Rockwall. Here he would sup before entering the village. The air’s temperature was changing quickly. Lowering in minutes. He ignored it, and swiftly ate a small ration of bread and cheese.
    Nath then re-saddled Dark and rode into the city. There were a great many huts on the outer city with straw roofs and stone walls. The streets were cobblestone and in some areas crudely paved. He also kept in mind, though; Corussus was still developing—being the newest nation in West-Land.
    He saw men sheltering their wives and daughters under their own ponchos as they slowly made their way back to their small houses, or cottages. Some looked dirty, and some clean. There were the few middle-class and the poor. When Nath looked to the side he saw families sitting down to dinner, with the man of the house with a large knife carving a steaming cooked turkey or large chicken. He passed down the stony street, Dark’s hooves splashing in small, unimportant puddles.
    When Nath looked down again, he saw small children, scruffy and dirty. They seemed as if they had never lived in a home for years. He felt pity, and as their innocent, juvenile faces looked up at him, he tossed them ten Golds. The boy, who seemed older of the group, grabbed them, and looked up at Nath in awe. Nath winked, and they rode on, the children looking after him with their ashen faces.
    Without any business or stopping on the street—it also helped that people moved out of the way—Nath left the town behind and started to ascend the southern hill. The Coulani came to a gate with metal spike on the end of each iron bar. This gate seemed to surround the whole estate from what he could see—which was just a little of the courtyard beyond.
    Then he heard a voice—deep and dark—and each syllable raised the hair on his neck. “What is your business here, Coulani?”
    Nath turned to a man. He could not explain it, but even thought he hood only revealed the nose and thin mouthed grin of the man, he felt dark and evil, menacing eyes piercing him. It made him tremble, but the Coulanish man hid his fear of the gatekeeper.
    Nath cleared his throat, and then looked up at the greeter, “I am Nath’Elien’Sokari though my friends (and I) prefer the name of Nath. I am here on the business of my wife, Aya. She came here not three weeks gone.”
    “Hmm.” said the man, putting a grimy finger to his chin in thought, “Aya, Aya…Aya.” He kept repeating the name, while he moved his head, and eventually looked at Nath for help. “Aya. Aya?” He turned to Nath and shrugged, “I know not of a…Aya. But, I (and my lord), were instructed to look for a man by your name, and surname.”
    “For what reason?” asked Nath, “Where is my wife!?” Anger slicing in his voice.
    “Oh yes, she said he had a wife…” said the man standing, dark clouds were moving over the manor. And flakes of snow had been falling and forming small piles leaning and resting on the stone; the man stood and spoke; “Now I recall Aya. Yes, young lass, a fine woman, with brown hair as smooth as summer rain and blue eyes that look like the water of the Belalathin’e and the Hazar and Bel’Haz river mouths. Is that the woman that you speak?
    “Yes, she came here on the fourth of October, about three weeks gone. She was a stubborn one, and a fine sacrifice for m’lady!”
    “Aya!” cried Nath, “What did you do to her? You foul, stinking shadow of a man!”
    An angry curve on that thin mouth spoke, trying to stifle the rage at the insult. “Come with me, and we won’t have any further…difficulties.” The man drew a sword from a sheath, a glowing sickly green scimitar.
    Nath’s fear grew, but so did his disgust. “You are Hqiis’Zjeyi filth!” With a flick of his hands, his double-bladed spear-sword spun in his hands. “I will relieve the world of a little scum, you tr****rous maggot!” They clashed, but Nath had superior Coulanish sword training and soon a blade protruded from the man’s breast as he screamed and inhuman blood stained the blade. Nath felt like vomiting when he cleaned the sword and then re-sheathed. He left with a murmur to the dead man, “Bastard…”
    The Coulani hopped upon his steed again, and descended down the hill he had come.

3. BBallForLife

BBallForLife New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I love it, I love it, I love it. Five out of five! :)

4. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am SO glad that you like it THAT much BBall. So, how do you feel about the ACT TWO switch? I was always curious how people would react...

5. BBallForLife

BBallForLife New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I mean, I miss Tamassi and Lana, but the switch was also cool. It was refreshing. :)

6. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ~XVIII~
    The Last Surprise in Cocáe

Dark walked more than slowly as Nath heeled him partially in rage. My precious Aya! But who had killed her? As he drew closer to Cocáe, the dark clouds seemed thicker and more snow fell down upon it. He heard clashing and clanging, cries and roars. What in the Void is going on down there?!
    When he came onto the cobblestone street, he saw that not a civilian was in the street, and that snow minions walked searching for something. They passed by soldiers as if they were unimportant—until the knights attacked them.
    These creatures were made of pure ice. There were Ice Golems that were taller than a man by about four inches. Then came the Ice Ogres which were an inch shorter and the Ice Trolls which were three inches taller than an Ice Golem. All were made of pure ice and were shielded by the hanging winter from the heat.
    Corussians with swords and spears attacked bravely, but were normally catapulted over top of a house with a nudge from an Ice Minions swat; it looked as if they slapped away flies. With a lightning-quick jab, Nath’s Coulanish blade shattered an Ice Golem into millions of shards that slid across the street. Brutes are always ignorant! And what was more; he was a Shemar of Fire!
    When one of the colossal Ice Trolls approached they were melted in seconds with only the tiniest will of his mind touching his inner Kor-Ada. This is so simple! He heard blood-curdling shrieks as men were destroyed. A woman, making the air chillier—if that was even possible!—with untidy black hair and skin paler than snow stepped into the crudely paved street where Nath was riding. A blade of ice was gripped in her hand, and rose red lips deeply contrasted the colour of the rest of her face. A white, worn bridal dress was her garb.
    Dsuc-Yeahwpiq, He thought with deep disgust. It was impossible to distinguish them from one another, since all Six looked the same. When she saw him, she immediately strode nearer, and he thought arrogantly, I am a Shemar of Fire!
    Without warning, the air shifted like a missile bearing the chilliest of the chill. He fell from his saddle and Dark bolted. Simply because Nath had ordered him to. The Coulanish Stallion would not be safe here. A blade of ice stretched from the Dsuc-Yeahwpiq’s fingers near to his chest.
    A solemn expression was chiseled into her face, but he could tell she was battling the urge to sneer. “And I was told you were powerful.”
    “Hmm.” he said, “And who told you that?” With a sudden movement, his long-trained leg sent the Snow Daughter onto her back and he kicked her again. She did not groan, they barely felt pain he was told. “They must have been wise,” he added with a sneer and a triumphant grin.
    Her sword slid across the street to her hand and she lashed at him. He was forced to back away, and clashed, his sword shattering. With the force, he was thrown back into a forming snow drift and wet snow began to freeze him. Nath looked up at this foul Dsuc-Yeahwpiq. Again, her sword point was ready to slide into him. And he was too cold now to resist or escape.
    “Now, you can be mine,” she said with a hint of passion. Slowly the blade slid into his chest and he gasped. Cold flew into him, freezing everything; every part of him grew numb. His body was so old that when breathed mist came with his exhalation. “Be purged with ice, Nath’Elien’Sokari.”
    He looked into her eyes, fire blazing in his colourless ones. “I am no-one’s. I am Shemar of Fire!” As suddenly as the missile of air from Eena that had dismounted him had come, flames ignited from his chest and climbed the ice blade with haste. The Maiden of the Empress screamed as some of the heat touched her and she stumbled backward, dropping her melting sword. She cursed in an unknown tongue.
    Darkness slowly took Nath, he could not fight it. I am Shemar of Fire…
    As he faded from conciousness a cry from what sounded like a distance echoed in his ears, “MASTER COULANI!!!”

“Master Coulani!” cried Elya, as she battled a snow Ogre, her blade flashed and soon it was a pile of snow. She ran to the fallen unknown Coulani, who had frightened the Snow Daughter away.
    She put a finger to his neck, he had a pulse, but it was decreasing. Frantically, the female warrior searched for the reason and found it. A stab from a Belal Ice Blade, not nearly as cold as the ‘Wenche’s Kiss’. “Brone!” she called over her shoulder, “come quickly!”
    Elya took one of his limp hands in hers, “Cold as Belal!” she exclaimed.
    The old veteran soldier joined her, setting down his aged spear. “A Belal Ice Blade wound.” he nodded, “We have to hurry, if we are to save him.”
    “We must help!” exclaimed Elya, “He frightened the Snow Daughter, please!”
    The veteran sighed, “But, the siege has moved to the outskirts, and the snow trolls are joining the ogres.”
    “Please!” protested Elya, holding the unconscious Coulani in her arms. “He helped us greatly, please, Brone!”
    “All right.” said Brone nearly-frustrated, “But, we will need Coman’s help.”
    “Right.” agreed the female soldier, “we must move with haste!”
    Brone took the Coulani in his arms and followed his female comrade. He watched Elya; he had been her father figure since she was six. Her father had died in the White Desert as a Hunter and she had wanted to be a knight ever since.
    The Corussus knights wore sterling silver armor with the Somina Bird emblem with two lances clashing before it. Women wore blue capes, while men wore white. The ancient Corussian art of Tai’Mak, the “Corussian Spear”, was really only known to veteran soldiers over the age of fifty. Youngins’ these days cared not for history, but for their swords, it made them feel bigger.
    Being sixty-one he had a grey beard and a white, thin moustache with fine aged hair which still held some of its youthful brown. He looked behind them to make sure no Ogres or Trolls were coming.
    Elya was a young soldier, with fine orange-red hair and a fair female face, which often had a dirt spot or bruise because of her work. She loved the art of the sword, and ever since the age of six, loved Brone’s poetry. She wore the Female Warrior garb, blue cape flowing behind her as she walked.
    At last they came to the hut of Coman, whom was a master healer and was talented Shemar, but was unusually Elven and not Coulani. He was the first and only elf to learn Coulani Kor-Ada arts.
    The hut was like most on the outermost part of the city. Cobble-stone or brick walls and a hay roof with a small chimney letting out thin wisps of smoke. The door was masterfully crafted of oak make.
    Elya knocked on the door, and was answered by the now aged elf. Coman had a very aged face, for in truth he was extremely old for an elf. Elves lived for shorter lives than humans! But he had lived to be the same age as some Coulani. Rolls and layers or wrinkles dominated his forehead and a short, white-silver beard with rare hints of his young brown here and there. A long, pointed nose looked at them with his half-glazed elf eyes with that hint of brown colour in them.
    “Ah! Elya, and General Brone, welcome to my home.” Coman knew Elya very well, for she had spent much time with him while Brone had done military work when she was young. Among being an accomplished elf Shemar, he was a great story-teller and historian. “Come in, come in!”
    Coman allowed them inside, and Brone laid the unconscious Coulani on a stone altar. The hut was small, a two-room home. The one room was a luxury room with a single chair, a kitchen with a black wood stove, and also a dining room with an aged wooden table and chairs for three. Leaning against the wall was a weathered staff carved of wood and with many runes inlaid; so many that they overlapped one another.
    “I’ll ready some tea,” said the elf, even his ears looked rubbery and saggy, “and then we’ll discuss why you’ve brought a Coulani in my home.”
    Elya hoped and silently prayed the Coulani could be saved.

7. BBallForLife

BBallForLife New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Still really good.

8. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ~XIX~
    Co’Man’Mayar

It was warm, and Nath opened his eyes to the sounds of bird chirps and rooster calls. He looked around; he was in a simple home. In the corners, vines came from the ground and went through the ceiling. He figured he was in a hut, or he had met his destiny to be with the other Coulani and his ancestors, had he earned a place in Tronos—“true home of the Coulani”?
    He had little strength, and when he tried to force himself up, his chest hurt, it felt cold and in major pain. He managed to move the arm underneath the wool covers to feel his chest. His memory was foggy, but was slowly coming back. The Coulani raised his neck and saw no one in the home. If this was Tronos, it must be his.
    He saw the door opening, a medium height, rounded top door, with a circular window and vines in the odd place of it. It let in a pool of sunlight and he closed his eyes. The door shut, and he opened them. He saw an aging elf, with a short silver-white beard, half-glazed brown eyes carrying an Oak Staff that was weathered and inlaid with numerous runes overlapping each other. Nath recognized some Coulani patterns. Can elves come to Tronos?
    “Ah,” said the elf, “I see that you are awake.” The old elf sat on a stool in the corner where Nath could see him easier. He shifted into a comfortable position on the stool, leaning his staff against the wall.
    “Who are you? And where am I? Am I in Tronos?” asked Nath, several more questions ran through his head. It was a flood drowning him in curiosity and ignorance.
    The elf gave a loud chuckle and replied, “No, Honored Coulani, you are not in Tronos. You were very close though.” He said, gesturing with his thumb and index finger making a minute space between them. The elf grunted as he stood and walked to a kettle steaming in the fireplace. “If not for my friend, Elya—”
    “Where is he?” asked Nath, “I must thank him.”
    “Her.” corrected the Elf, chuckling. “Yes, Elya is a woman, a fine one, too.” He poured some of the liquid into a wooden cup from a forest he had seen once. The old Elf poured another cup into a goblet and came towards the altar, where Nath lay. “This is for you, honored Coulani.” he handed Nath the goblet, who now had the strength to sit up and hold the goblet.
    “I would think you have many unanswered questions in your mind.” said the Elf, “To answer one, I am Coman, and you are probably wondering what transpired a week and a half ago…”
    “A week and a half?!” exclaimed Nath, “I was unconscious that long?!”
    “Yes, it is the second week of December,” said Coman, “Now drink! And I shall fill your mind with what it is I know. Elya may be able to tell you more. But, like I said, this is only what I know.
    “For some very idiotic and wasteful reason, Sa’Tavon used her weakest minions to raid the Second-capital. Clouds clustered above our fair…city…and it began to snow. And even this far north of Belal that is uncommon. From snow piles, creatures of Belal took shape. And were after something, for it is not often that they leave the safety of their mistress’ land. For there, they are much, much harder to kill. But, I am getting off topic, so I went out to battle these creatures, and I rallied as many knights in the valley that I could find. When we returned, the siege was begun, but it was very small.
    “We quelled all hostiles in the village except for the southern side, which General Brone and Steel-Wing Commander Elya were taking care of. I returned to my hut, exhausted, for I am getting very old, especially for an elf! Well, I believe she didn’t want to take land. She wants something, what it is, I can hardly guess.
    “A Snow Daughter came, which makes it obvious that Sa’Tavon really wanted this thing. You got in her way, and, well she stabbed you. It hasn’t proven fatal, but something is evading my memory of that wound. I forget why it is odd that you are awake and sane now…Hmm. Anyway, Drink!”
    Nath nodded his thanks and took a long sip; he had just realized he was unbelievably thirsty. He moved the goblet from his lips, “Mmm. This is Selenar Wood Tea, correct?”
    The Elf nodded, sitting down, and took a sip himself. “All of the trees are gone, and no more can be made, after I use up all of my stock. The tea leaves were a gift from…a friend, you could say. A very experienced Herbler who came upon the leaves one day.”
    Selenar trees were prized to Coulani…and elves. Their bark, if ground up, could make an excellent tea that healed your wounds and fatigue. But, the human’s overuse in the War of the Four Races had destroyed the species. It was sad, no more could be harvested.
    “By the way,” chuckled the Elf, “may I ask your name, Coulani? Of course I mean the true name.”
    Nath finished a sip from his goblet. “Nath’Elien’Sokari.”
    “A good name.” nodded Coman, “I believe it means ‘Light of the Way’ in Coulani, but in Elfi, it is ‘Light of the Path.’”
    “For an elf, you know a great deal about the Coulani people.” stated Nath, “how is that? It is very odd, but I remember someone like you from somewhere.”
    “I have to.” said Coman as if it was written on the wall, “I trained at the citadel of the…” he paused as he spoke the name in a whisper, “Dragyari.”
    Nath took another sip from the goblet and finished the tea, he felt better now. He nearly spit the tea out in surprise and spoke, “You are Dragyai?” he whispered, he knew the Elf and he could both hear the faintest whispers. Some Dragyai could even read the minds of others. “Now I remember, you’re Dragyai of Water!”
    “Yes,” said Coman, “My true name from that is Co’man’mayar. I am bonded to the Dragyar of Water, Hyndral, which is her short-name.”
    Nath moved to the edge of the bed and stretched his arms; he was not surprised that they were not tired. He stood on the ground, and nearly toppling over, grabbed the edge stabling himself. The Elf came to his aid, and helped him sit in a proper chair, “Being asleep for a week and a half can take your balance away for a little while, especially after having that tea!”
    Nath slumped in the chair, he was with a Dragyai, Co’Man’Mayar.

9. BBallForLife

BBallForLife New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I love it!!

10. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, BBall. Sorry, Ive been busy...and the next chapters are ready...so Ill update in a couple minutes.

11. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ~XX~
    The Day with Elya

The door opened once more, and a woman with fine, long, orange-red hair and wearing a fair female face came in. She was wearing a beautiful white gown, but could sense a warrior spirit within her. This was the Elya, the woman who had saved him. But was she also linked to the Citadel?
    Coman turned from the window to Elya, “Elya, you return?”
    “Yes,” she said, “I wanted to check on the Cou—” she stopped as she saw him sitting, “he is awake!” She ran to him, and he looked up into her beautiful face, a Selenar blossom. She took his cheeks and rotated his face, examining him, “Well, you look fine.” She moved a part of the robe he wore to see the wound, “And your wound is no longer on the verge of frostbite.” She stepped back, arms on her hips, and nodded with satisfaction.
    Coman came beside her, “She has checked on you all week, and has a theory you defeated a Snow Daughter, but for a Shemar, I nearly doubt that. Yet, I know it is true.” A smile was painted on his lips.
    Under the robe, Nath felt his Shemar ring, “I am one who can use Blade Bonding.” he whispered. The ring was a gold band and it got thicker when it held a white diamond dove. It was given to Shemar who had either trained at the citadel, or taught themselves and went there only for trials for the “bonding ring”.
    He fell under none of the two categories, his father who was killed, but was a Shemar had taught him. After he got his ring, Nath returned home to find his father killed by a Snow Troll. He had defeated that monstrous beast, and earned the second ring on his finger, the ‘Coulani Family Honor’ band, which was platinum. For courage, men had medals, Elves had tattoos and Coulani had rings. The races were different, and that was that.
    “Blade Bonding?” inquired Coman curiously, “A trick, even few Dragyari has ever learned. But, I know of your father, Gath’Eliar’Sokari, who could perform Blade Bonding. So, yes, I believe it.”
    “This is exciting!” exclaimed young Elya, “A Coulani, I can finally learn of your interesting culture and such.”
    “I must leave.” said Nath, “I must.” He looked up at Coman and Elya. “The Kayae is expecting me back very soon. As Haeqyoes I have my duty to fulfill.”
    Coman shook his head, “I am afraid not, honored Coulani. You carry a fatal wound, it must heal more, and you being off alone could be enough to kill yourself…and Coulani numbers are low enough as it is! Worry not of the Kayae, she is alerted of your wound.”
    “Come,” said Elya, offering him her soft hand, with a ring of a knight of Corussus, “I’ll show you around the village, come, come!”
    He had little choice; she grabbed his hand while he was off-guard and ran with him out the door. She laughed while he was protesting. Coman chuckled and shut the door behind him, “Children!”

By now, Nath had realized he had no choice in the matter, and, decided to get to know the place he would be staying for a while. She had shown him the weapons shop. He remembered the place, and when they entered. The place was full of hanging swords of all different sizes and shapes. Daggers lay on a table by a wall with mantels holding short bows. Quarter staffs all lay sideways on the counter.
    Elya had bought him a Corussus war dagger, but he protested that he had his own, but she had simply replied, “You lost yours in the battle, and at this time, you should always have something…”
    They were half way down the street from there now, passing farmers and their livestock. He was beginning to like Elya, she was never angry, just happy and popping the occasional joke that made him crack a smile, and sometimes even laugh. She introduced him to Ben, a farmer who lived half a mile outside of town.
    He was a smiley man and very buff with huge arms, carrying a pitchfork with some strands of straw. He was missing a front tooth and wore wrinkled trousers with a ripped hat. His red and black checkered shirt was the only thing with only a little dirt. He was leading a pig by a leash and making his way to market.
    “So this is the honored Coulani,” he boomed bowing. “They ain’ts too big, but believe me, when I says they can hurts you.” He then gave a laugh and waved as he walked toward the square.
    Nath had a feeling he would like this City. The only other city he had been to was Xuqidp Kuqi, “the Heart of the Forest”. He would always remember the Kayae and the kiss she gave him before departing to retrieve Aya. But Aya was dead now, and he began to sulk. He forgot Elya was there.
    “What’s wrong, honored Coulani?” asked Elya, “Why is your happiness drenched with sorrow? It is a beautiful day!”
    He looked up, ‘Yes, I know. I was just thinking of Aya…and call me Nath!’
    “Who is she?”
    “She was my wife.” sighed Nath.
    “Ah, alas, marriages do not all work out, even for Coulani couples.”
    “No, she was murdered.” Nath sat on the muddy ground, the snow had melted. Elya looked at him with horror on her face. ‘The manor, up on the hill of the village,’ He looked up at the black speck on the hill all the way on the other side of the town. ‘She stayed there.” He looked at Elya, “The Lord killed her.”
    “Surely, Lord Thome did not kill your wife.” said Elya.
    “Oh, so that is his name.” said Nath.
    Elya bent down to him, but did not sit; she did not want her dress to get muddy. “I just don’t understand,” she said to herself, “Lord Thome, is generous, kind, and—”
    “—and hates Coulani!” cut in Nath angrily.
    “Maybe, he is hostage.” suggested Elya, “Maybe another lives there, for Thome loved Coulani, he welcomed them, gave them the best hospitality possible in Cocáe.”
    Nath stood, “Please, finish showing me around.” He wished not to dwell on such subjects.
    Nath followed her onto the muddy bridge; she stopped halfway and looked down at the clear, clear water, running towards Belal. “The Belalathin’e, the clearest water I have ever seen! They say it is cursed, though. In fact, a young Corussian princess, of course it’s just a story, bathed in these waters. She said it was pleasurable, and she kept going back. But one day, she never came back.
    “Instead, the water, enchanted and bewitched, took her unconsciously to Belal. The princess arrived asleep, holding flowers and in a white dress, floating upon the Belalathin’e, the Empress arrived and took her to her palace, and made her a Maiden of the Empress. I have heard an old poem;

“‘Pray for those unlucky ones,
    Who wandered in too far,
    Thinking that their foolishness was really nothing but great fun.

Taken to the Empress, five there were, now six.
    The women were taken one by one and given the Wenche’s Kiss.
    They grew pale, their blood now cold,
    And they knew now they would not grow old.

Immortality, they received, and were bound to her forever.
    For when they felt the kiss,
    They lost their bliss,
    And died and were reborn.

Now her name is Eena,
    For all six are named the same.
    There once were five, but now are six,
    Fear the Maiden’s Kiss.’”

It is a sad story.” said Elya, “The Loss of the Five Princesses, and they interpret that the Corussian one is the sixth.”
    “I’ve heard the poem.” said Nath, “Countless times. They were five of the fairest women in the world. Santia, Shaayla, Darena, Samantia, Payena, and finally, the one you speak of, Eanai. They became the Dsuc-Yeahwpiq.”
    “I have forgotten that the Coulani are very wise, and knowledge-filled. For one so young, you know so much…”
    Nath threw back his head in laughter. “Young for me, maybe, but not for you! I am eight hundred eighty-four, I am Youngest.”
    “I’m sorry?” asked Elya, “Can you say that again, you look twenty.”
    “That is old to your kind, but to a Coulani, I am a young adult who has completed his studies and graduated.” said Nath staring at his precise reflection in the river of Belalathin’e. “I came to see my wife, and have earned a scar from a Maiden of the Empress.” he murmured to himself.
    “Do not let it get to you,” said Elya, “Like I said, ’Tis a beautiful day!” She was twirling around in circles, raising her arms and basking in the bright sunlight. “I would dance,” said Elya stopping, “but I fear that I would soil my few good dresses.”
    Nath appreciated her optimism; he was surprised how a citizen to a nation under critical threat from Belal could be so joyful. He knew he himself would not be here still. But, she was dutiful, a knight of Corussus, and would not leave unless ordered to. And he had a feeling even then she would not leave her people.
    “You are right; troubling over things that have already taken place will only lead to deeper sorrow. Say, would Coman come with us to Lord Thome’s manor?” asked the Coulani.
    “I would think. But still, we should ask. Coman may be an elf, but an elf that gets angry at ‘disobedient fools’.” She giggled at that remark.
    Stars! A Selenar blossom… He began to move closer to her. “What’s so funny?” He was lost in her eyes. Emerald-sapphires stared back at his eyes—colourless and emotionless—he was drowning in her eyes. All other thoughts left him.
    Elya took small steps towards him, linking eye-to-eye with him. They were very close now, and he could feel her breath, slowly her hand stroked his braid as she leaned into him and giggled again. “Oh, Coman always says ‘disobedient fools’.” When she said ‘disobedient fools’ her voice tried to mimic that of the elf’s.
    Their hands came together, and they stepped to the right then the left in a rhythmic fashion. He looked down into her eyes, for she was shorter than he, and said, “Do you like dancing, Elya?”
    “Yes,” she replied, voice half-lost in his face. She is a true beauty to behold, so graceful and…wait!
    No matter how much his mind protested, his body still danced with Elya. Just a friendly dance. So, for a while they rocked back and forth and slowly transitioned to more complex dances they knew, harder and harder. By the end they were moving brisk, sharp movements and twirled and spun. Eventually they parted and panted, laughing under the sun.
    Then Elya, after suppressing her laugh but still wearing a smile, asked, “Would you mind if I bought you a meal?”
    “No.” said Nath. Stars! What am I doing?

12. BBallForLife

BBallForLife New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Finally... j/k. It's great. :)

13. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, people, I am SO sorry for not updating. I just could not find the time to log on the forum and give a new chapter. Well, if I can find my book on my computer, I'll dig out another chapter for you guys to read.

Again, I apologize.

14. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ~XXI~
    Grim News

Co’Man’Mayar busied himself as Nath and Elya left the hut for their own fun. He had always been alone in his hut ever since he was assigned to watching over Cocáe, but now, Nath’s wound had sparked his interests. From the vast library at the Citadel he had taken many books with him to entertain himself. Others in his collection, he had found in traders’ hands or had come across one in the oddest of places.
    Some were very large, others were very small. But one similarity was they were all dust-covered. He decided he would look for a book to read, and so searched blindly in one of his cupboards. A pile of tomes he had no interest in lie in a pile beside him. He pulled out a dusty and worn first edition of “Days of the Dragon Masters”. He gently set it in the pile of books around him. He had read it several times.
    As he pulled another large book out, one he could barely hold, it found his interest. “The World’s Worst Wounds” by Krivallin Suvah. He dropped the book on the table, and a hollow boom echoed through the room. Holding the sides of the bulky volume, he blew over the top scattering an immense cloud of airborne dust. He coughed as it floated through him and then faded into the air.
    Coman licked his dry finger and opened the cover. There was no table contents or pages like that, it immediately ran to the first wound to be discussed. The bite of a Tachean Toad. He read interestedly, examining the very brief sketch of one of these toads. Apparently if they bit you, you could die instantly unless you had eaten a green vegetable within an hour before the bite.
    Some of the pages were torn on the side, or some wet spots in the middle. It was a very old edition, and not a much updated copy, but he still read on. The next wound was hearing a Star Owl’s screech within three meters. The result could destroy your hearing within five seconds. The pages were large and the font small, and each disease had a minimum of five tedious pages explaining how the wound was received, what could cure or prevent it, and then a discussion on how to avoid it.
    And then, in the middle of the book, he came upon what he had been wondering about lately. The sword wound from a Dsuc-Yeahwpiq. He shivered at reading the title, but decided it may help, seeing as he was healing one with such an injury. As Coman, he read aloud to himself beneath his breath.

“‘The Sword Wound from a Dsuc-Yeahwpiq
    Composed by Krivallin Suvah

One of the worst possible injuries possible is this such one. Through tales, it is said that the Dsuc-Yeahwpiq—Snow Daughters and Maidens of the Empress, if you will—summon forth blades of ice. These blades hold dangerous power, able to shatter any blade it clashes with. They also hold a very terrible…poison.
    It is not known what it is, but the wound inflicted immediately begins to freeze, dropping the woundee’s blood temperature. This injury can even cause frostbite if the person inflicted has not died yet. To prevent this, soak it with the hottest possible water at your disposal…’”
    Coman skipped through this page and the next. Muttering, “Bloody blabbering…”
    “‘…The person inflicted—if they have survived this far—will feel an uncontrollable passion. This may last a few weeks. Later, that passion shall fade into an anger and soon a smoldering hatred! This could be dangerous. Then, the person will feel a longing for wherever the inflictor is. Soon he or she will find the inflictor and learn to love them. If this happens, it is too late in the process and they shall perish in ice, shadow, and flame…’”
    From those words, Coman looked up from the page and trembled. Nath!

The door opened loudly as Nath and Elya stumbled in laughing. “The jokes you tell!” exclaimed Elya. When they recovered from their fit of laughing, Nath turned to look at Coman. The old elf sat in a stool in the corner, smoking his pipe, eyes wide with enlarged pupils in fear…and he was trembling! He muttered under his breath in the Elfi tongue, hair hanging messy.
    Both looked at him with questioning stares and then Nath asked, “Coman?” The elf finished muttering something and looked up.
    “Nath! Star Kings light my path! You’re alive!” He leapt from his stool and came before them. “I have received very grim news from my reading. Nath! The wound you carry is very deadly, and there are horrible after effects yet to come!”
    “Coman, I don’t under—” began Nath.
    “I’ll explain later!” interrupted Coman, grabbing a cloak and hastily donning it, worry still etched in his aged features. “Right now I must look into ways of curing you. Take care of the hut for me while I’m gone…”
    While Coman was opening the door and babbling instructions, Nath stopped him. Elya looked just plain confused. “Wait! Gone? Where are you going?”
    Coman sighed, and started to breathe slower. He didn’t want to hyperventilate. “I’m visiting an old…friend. In Elfi. It will take maybe four days at the most. He is a skilled Herbler and can aid me in my doubts. May the Stars light your path!”
    The old elf stepped out from the door, grabbing his weathered staff of wood. In a few quick steps, the elf walked to Nath’s horse and shouted. “I will borrow your horse for my travels, if you mind not!”
    “I mind not!” replied Nath. In a quick leap, the old elf sat atop Dark and took off down the cobblestone street.

15. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any day now, someone can post a comment...

16. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello?!?!?!?!?!?!

17. Kaiser Zohon

Kaiser Zohon Orbs Of Fury

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's really good.. I only got up to the end of III, but it's catchy.

18. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd just like to thank everyone for their comments thus far. Now, without further ado, the next chapter:

~XXII~
    Love and Rage

After Coman had departed from the city of Cocáe—Nath didn’t even see why it was a city; it didn’t even have a wall!—Nath slept uneasily, waking up many times during the night with his chest where the wound was freezing and in pain. He was worried. What had shaken Coman? He had said it had to do with his injury. But what?
    With the little sleep Nath had received that night, he was extremely tired. In the morning, Elya came to the hut and broke fast with him. Once again, his mind was wondering what Nath was doing while he continued to feel a flame inside when he looked at her. A bloody Selenar Blossom.
    They finished eating and talked a while, deciding to sit in at the inn, The Soaring Somina, and have a mug or two of peach wine. Aya liked peach wine. Aya. AYA! The thought hit him like a hot vat of tar. He had forgotten about his deceased wife Aya, and emotions of mourning and sorrow engulfed him. His face must have showed this.
    “So, anyway I—what ever is the matter Nath?” asked Elya.
    The Coulani heaved a sigh. “My beloved, she is gone. Gone forever.” Elya looked at him as if saying “I’m sorry for your loss.” He looked back at her and his emotions mixed into a simmering and undistinguishable stew. He could plainly make out two emotions though. Love and Rage. Love for my Aya and El—no! And rage for the ones who killed her! Damn all of the Hqiis Zjeyi, I will slaughter them all!
    His last thought must have been voiced, for some people turned from the nearer tables to look at him, and Elya looked taken aback. “Hqiis Zjeyi?” she asked curiously.
    “We won’t speak of them…” he whispered. Everyone else turned back to their business and drinking. Some laughing in the background drifted across the room from the gambling tables. Drunk laughing. Humans…
    “Why do you hate these…Hqiis Zjeyi?” asked Elya, leaning forward on the table, closer to him.
    “They killed Aya,” he replied with a snip of rage, in truth the emotion was devouring the love and boiling in a pot of heat about to explode. “And I believe I’ll go to the manor…to kill them!”
    “That answers one of my previous questions…” said Elya, “If these…Hqiis Zjeyi…are at the manor, Lord Thome may be prisoner.”
    “Or allied with them.” reminded Nath. If this bastard is low enough to mingle with such foul creatures, he deserves to die and be damned to the Void and beyond five times!
    “We should wait for Coman to return.” said Elya, breaking his train of thought. “He will know best. And by the way you say ‘Hqiis Zjeyi’, they sound powerful or…”
    “They are foul tr****rous men!” he stood from the table. “I am going to the manor.”
    Elya stood, and leaned into his chest, arm on his. “We will wait!” she replied with a commanding tone. “Coman said he’d be a few days, and you’re only two days from waking.”
    Nath sighed. “Fine. We’ll wait a few days for Coman. But if he doesn’t return in four days, I’m taking matters into my own hands!”
    Elya managed to soothe him, and then she took him to the market to help her buy some food at the central market. There were booths with fresh, plump tomatoes. Others held fish mongers selling haddock, trout, walleye, and some pike. Other booths were held by tanners with leather, some sold finely cut carpet with embroidery or no. One booth even merchandised clay pots and vases, even plates and saucers!
    Of course there was live merchandise such as cattle, chickens clucking furiously in their cages, and even some pigs. Elya purchased some wet heads of lettuce, some beef meat, and a few cooking herbs and spices for the week. The day was practically done when they left the market and moved through the streets of Cocáe back to the outer part to Coman’s hut.
    They supped early and spent time with one another another while. Nath still did not forget that if Coman did not return in four days he would go to the manor and avenge his beloved Aya. After a few hours, Elya left with a smile on her face.
    The rest of the days were much the same. Elya would arrive and they would eat breakfast and then spend the day out in the town. Once in a while a pain near his wound would seize him, but he ignored it. Then after, she would either eat supper with him or return to her own home which he still had not seen yet.
    On the third day, it was Elya’s turn to patrol among the streets with other Steelwings—a society of knights she commanded. He joined them and during the day they had found some troublemakers that earned themselves flogging.
    The fourth day came and went like every other day besides the third. And that night Nath stayed up, waiting for Coman. Where is he? Eventually he fell asleep waiting in a chair. Dreams of Hqiis Zjeyi and the face of Aya haunted him.

Nath woke up when the warm morning rays of sunlight gently touched his face. They felt comfortable and filled him with pleasure. His memory returned to him quickly. Where is Coman? Aya! He sat up leisurely and set a kettle over the fire for some morning tea. A knock at the door grabbed his attention. He thought he knew who it was.
    His estimation was correct. Elya stood there; looking into his colourless Coulani eyes dreamily and then awoke from her daydreams. “Did Coman return?”
    Nath sighed. “No.” He allowed her inside, and she hung her cloak over a chair. She is the most beau—no! He swallowed uneasily, and then offered her a chair at the table. In minutes the tea was ready and he poured her and himself a cup. The aroma drifted from the tea along with a quick, short wisp of steam. It was very relaxing. They sipped at it slowly while the Coulani readied some breakfast.
    Nath ate almost eagerly, and finished faster than normal. Elya picked at her food. “I worry for Coman. Do you really think we should go up to the mansion?”
    “Yes.” replied Nath, “I will avenge Aya, and will learn the truth about this man named Thome.”
    Elya gave a sigh, and resumed picking at her food and nibbling here or there. Both emerged from Coman’s hut into a grey-skied day, a winter chill hung in the air. Elya eagerly donned her cloak, but the cold didn’t seem to touch Nath yet. Coulani weren’t quite so sensitive to hot or cold as Humans or elves were. Dried and weathered leaves danced in the breeze across the crudely paved street—more common in the center of Cocáe where they were right now.
    Nath had his new sword slung across his back. (The day before they had stopped at a weapon’s shop.) It was sturdy steel with a silver handle, though he longed for his old Coulanish blade. I can get a new one when I return to Xuqidp Kuqi.
    They soon came to the river bridge. Again the hustle and bustle of the townsfolk raised loud noise, and farmers led livestock, or farmwives looked at vegetable dealers and vendors. The noise was soon behind them, as both began to leave the market behind.
    A man with a white beard and moustache, with his head of hair aging but it still had some youthful brown, nearer to the back approached. He wore armor; the same like as Elya, and leaned a spear over his shoulder.
    “General Brone,” stated Elya.
    “I see the honored Coulani is faring well,” replied the General, his Corussian cape hanging behind him, he then turned to Elya from Nath; “Patrols are doubled, for the need is dire. We cannot risk being surprised again.”
    “Indeed,” agreed Elya, “I and my friend here are on the way to the top of South Hill. I have heard ill tidings about the lord’s manor.”
    “Aye,” said Brone, “’Tis been a long time since old Lord Thome has come from the South Hill. It has just never reached my mind until now, but yes, far back in my mind it has nagged at me. But I must hurry, and reach my third patrol. Many of the new cadets are in need of direction!”
    With a nod of farewell, the old veteran strolled past them, he seemed in a hurry, and the spear head bobbed up and down as he almost jogged. “A very good friend, he is.” said Elya. They continued on.
    They continued down the road, until they were in the grassy outskirts of Cocáe. And the ascent uphill began. They passed by old, ruined stone formations scattered among the dead grass dominated hillside. Soon, they arrived at the gate of the manor, and Nath remembered it well. “Let us not knock, and alert them to our presence!” They slowly, and silently, crept to the gate, and slowly swung the gate ajar. But, there was a soft groan, as the old metal opened enough for them to enter single file. “Come!”
    Aya shall be avenged! It was the first time Nath had gazed out on the courtyard. There was an old fountain of cement, with vines and lichens growing in and around it. Where the water poured out, a stone woman, young and fair, with a small crack on her marble face, held a pitcher letting out the constant trickle of water. And that was in the exact center of the courtyard.
    To both sides, there were smaller, regular fountains. And the stone path they were on, branched to a wide path leading to the entrance of the manor. They strode across quickly, and could hear crows and ravens’ calls. Nath stopped and looked up at the statue of the woman. She looked sad, and the pitcher she held bore many strange symbols, and was painted gold.
    Elya spoke, “This place has not been cared for in some time.” She ripped off a vine, to reveal some of the woman’s robes, and then stepped back to examine the piece of work. “It is not like the lord to suddenly abandon his beloved fountains. And the lawn has not been clipped in ages.”
    Nath finally noticed the tall grass, and some weeds beginning to fill in space with wild flowers. This place was too quiet, and seemed like a tomb. The silence was grinding at his mind, the gatekeepers were no where to be seen.
    “In these halls,” said Elya, as they walked up the path to the Manor, “Each night would be filled with song, and laughter. And the villagers would file in, and drink and be merry! But that ended weeks ago. All of a sudden, a dark cloud seemed to hang over top of South Hill, and the nights of merry-making ended.
    “Some said; ‘well, he may have become tired of parties.’ and ‘I heard he’s left for on business and shant return for awhile.’
    “But I say nay, Nath. Something mysterious is at work, and I do not like it. It is odd, we have scouts near the border of Tache, Elfi and Belal (most of all) and yet we saw not the coming of beasts of ice. What is also odd is they seemed to be searching for one thing, and ignored soldiers and people on the streets unless they got in their way.
    “I fear that our freedom is waning, and the time for war is coming. But let us speak of merry things, let us go on and see what we may see.” and with that, Elya fell silent.
    They strode up the steps, and there were many! The doors stood before them, and there were carvings of staring, angry serpents. And other patterns had two staring at one another with tongues hanging out, all bearing eyes of emeralds.
    The doors were opened, and they stepped into a dark entrance hall. No light could be seen, but candles atop tables. Dim lights to the side, but they proceeded. And the doors seemed to close by themselves.
    When the slammed closed, both swung around, and had weapons out, for the were nervous and feared what they might find. Suddenly they heard a voice echo across what seemed the whole mansion;

“A’Sallen Tamar Len To A man’s’a
    Louv Arr Se Mantossa!”

And with that, the darkness before them seemed to move toward them and engulf them. Before they knew what was happening, no light could be seen, and a dark wind blew out the candles. Whispers flooded into their minds, and then they became lost in the dark.

19. Unien

Unien New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone use this forum anymore?!

20. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Not many people are currently, school seems to be picking up for almost everyone