The Ent

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Arkonian Doyle, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm currently trying to set up my fantasy world for writing.
    The story is mainly based on the life of a young-half elf growing up in this world called "Garden Valley". He's been raised by his Elven father and mother from behind the ninn ((a no man's land between the human world and Garden Valley)). Throughout the story he learns more about his past and eventually he will have to deal with problems that will have an impact on the entire civilazation.

Here comes my question:

I'm trying to make it so that the god of the Elves ((called the Ent)) still lives among them. He will be the rightful ruler and protector of the realm. I would like him to look pretty much like the Elves in the book, but with different traits such as changing eye-colors, thinner skin, taller, etc...
    Is this a good idea or should I make him more into a king? Would that be more interesting?

2. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    Sounds awesome. I think if you went with the 'king without knowing' story.. Or IS the king... well it's been done. If I were to write a book I'd have the main character mindfuck the readers by having him/her turn into the god of the Ents, as the Ent god is them in the future trying to change someting but it isn't realized until right at the end of the novel. Sorry just an idea maybe.

3. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well the thing is that the Ent even has his own day;) It's called the "Many moons market day" ((roughly translated into english)) because it's the day that not two, but three moons can be spotted on the sky.
    On this special day the elves come together to celebrate the existance of their leader ((king or god)) by offering him gifts and performing various acts. He also blesses them and listens to them.

I have this feeling like there's so much that I could do with the story, I just don't want to mess up! The Ent is supposed to be a really powerful/wise individual and I really want to get this right. Even if only for the reader's amusement.

I've been building on this world for over a year now and I really want to start writing it all down. I even had a cosplayer portray the Ent for me. Wish me lucko_O

4. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I quite like the idea of him being their god. But you could mix that with the idea that he was once their king and with a lot of power made himself into their god, so centuries later they only know him as their god.

If you're calling him the Ent, you will probably want to make him taller than all of the other elves, as in Old English Ent means Giant (remember that the Ents in LotR aren't actually trees, but giants that take care of the trees).

Having him look the same but with differences like hair/eye colour, etc, would differentiate him if they were magical-like colours, and would also fit in with the idea that he was once just an elf like them.

5. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    @Druid of Lûhn
    Yeah I think I could work with the idea of him being only so "slightly" diferent than them. I'm planning on giving him wings. fragil giant things that indicate his godlyness and also...eh...who wouldn't admire a pair of those? I'm still thinking of other things but you know, thanks for the inspiring respond;)

6. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Also, sorry. Yes, he is taller than most elves, his face is young but has a slight amount of wrinkles by his eyes. It's only one of the features that tell you that he's not just your average 300years of age :) (you'll have to wait for the est untill the book is done ;) )