The Disciple of Cardonn

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Keyser Sushi, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a piece I did as sort of a "cover" for my novel.

Obviously if I get published they'll want to make their own cover, but I studied art in college and sometimes I like to make art that connects to what I write. I've done a lot of design work for the Oz movie I'm working on, too.

Anyway this is a sample of my art. It's pencil and photoshop.

[​IMG]

2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    This is really good! I've seen cover art on actual books that is much worse than this :D

are you saying you just did a pencil outline and colored it in photoshop? or did you use colored pencils? (i'm an artistic noob so excuse me for having to ask :D)

3. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ha, thanks! :)

It was a little more than a pencil outline, but basically, yes. Basic graphite pencil, minimal shading. In fact each character was drawn separately, then scanned and colored in photoshop, then composited together. The forest backround and the sewer tunnel the guy in the cloak is standing in are manipulated photographs.

I have more art that I did while working on this book, and not all of it is this good. Early on I drew the characters in a sort of anime or manga style, but I got away from that, thankfully. Also some of the art I can't post here because the Amazon's mode of dress isn't always kid-friendly. :-o

4. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nice art work! =D

the discipline of cardonn sounds as a interisting title... sorry if you already posted this somewhere else and i didnt see, but ... what is you book about? well... i mean, if you can talk about it, if you are getting published and must not do so then just ignore me!

5. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hola, Rosa! :) Thanks for the compliment!

I haven't talked about it in another thread - yet - but there's nothing stopping me from doing so, so I'll try to answer your question here. I mean, I have no trouble answering it, but answering things succinctly isn't one of my strong suits.

An Amazon queen has a vision in a dream. They're living in a world where science and artistic expression are forbidden by the Keeper, the mysterious, seemingly god-like ruler of their world. The Amazons have been waiting for a champion to come and overthrow the Keeper, they're expecting "The Daughter of the Goddess", and the queen's vision seems to suggest that she's coming. So she sends Luna, the girl in the picture, to the place foretold in her vision. But the Keeper has had a similar vision and sends a unit of his own troops to the same place.

The guy in the blue cloak in the center of the picture (and my avvy) is a cyborg who has lost his memory and kind of staggers out of a sewer into a lake, on the banks of which he meets Luna. She's kind of confused because she was expecting to meet a girl, but this guy, whom she nicknames Apparition, is strange because he speaks the language of the Keeper and she's never seen a cyborg, didn't have any idea that such things existed. Distrustful, she keeps him close until such time as she can figure out who or what he is. So that's the mystery at the center of the story.

The red-haired fighter is named Sedar, a teenage horseman from the north. He was the bugler from his company, but he ends up having to step up and represent his people. The big guy who looks kind of like a Uruk-Hai is a Kragg (or half-Kragg, really; his mother raped a human male) named Zurkdag. He's a criminal...rapist, murderer, thief. He gets mixed up with them by mistake and keeps messing up the heroes' plans.

That's about as much as I can say without giving away the plot and all. :)

6. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sounds cool!
    If you get published be sure to tell me so i can add the book to my reading list.
    I wonder why science and arts are forbidden. and if the keeper is really that powerfull or not. I also like the name of the girl: luna = moon!
    I also like the modern/sciencefiction elements ( like cyborgs) on fantasy novels if they are well placed ( i mean, when they are nicely justified and have some relevance in the story,not are just throun in whitout a nice reason).

I may be wrong , but from the description i cant help but think that Zurkdag character is made to be kind of a comic element for the story... but looking at the picture i kind of change my mind... so i dont know.

By they way... excuse my ignorance but what is a Kragg??? sorry, but i can only relate it to the dwarf Kragg the runemaster

7. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the questions you're asking. Some of them I won't answer so as not to spoil you for the story. But I'll tell you a bit about Zurkdag. He's a very nasty, piece of crap of a person. But he IS funny as well, because nothing he does ever goes properly for him. The idea is sort of like Karma: he does bad things and so he brings bad things on himself. Some of the funnier moments in the book are his but so are some of the most raw.

As for a Kragg... I should have explained that better, my apologies. They're a race I made up for my book. I wanted to avoid writing about Elves, Dwarves, Halflings and Orcs. I'm a fan of Tolkien and while I know that he had no particular problem with people playing in his pool, so to speak, to me it would feel too much like attempting to ride his coat-tails were I to use the usual fantasy races.

So I made up several species of my own. Some of them are based on cryptids from real Earth folklore, like the Japanese Kappa and the English Grim. The Kragg are... somewhere between Klingons, Orcs, and the Scarran (from Farscape). They live in the mountains, they're brown or grey with golden eyes and wiry black hair, and much larger than a human, broad-shouldered, broad-necked, somewhat hunched over. Zurkdag, being half human, is human height, stands straight, but he's broader, and his skin is grey-brown and pink. He's got massive strength and dexterity, and he can see in the dark, but he's not very bright and he's filled with self-loathing.

8. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    cool, Zurkdag character sounds interesting and it seems you have it pretty round up!

Kragg race sounds pretty nice also. Im glad you are creating your own races if you feel like it. I think elves dwarves and the tipical fantasy races still got a lot to give and can still be interpreted in really original ways, so i dont see anything wrong about using them. but if you dont feel like using them is also fine, because doing so whitout felling it would just not be true.

As far as i know Tolkien didnt really created the race himself, i mean, he did marked the main interpretation from them but they are also based on real folklore. actualy i find a lot of references on the hobbit and the lord of the rings of real old books like "edda antigua" ( im not sure if that is the real spelling or translation since i readed a spanish translation of the book and that was the name and i think it was not translated... sorry if im not clear). I mean, gandalf was a dwarf in that book, well... more less... i mean the dwarf was named gandalf.

9. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I suspect you're referring to the Elder Edda; which was indeed a massive influence on Tolkien. The names of the Dwarves from The Hobbit came from that, as well as Gandalf - which actually translates, as I recall, as Wand-Elf or Staff-Elf.

You also are absolutely correct that he did not create these races himself, but defined the way they are used in Fantasy stories. Call it a mark of my respect for the Professor that I don't want to do anything that can be compared to LOTR because I know that anything I write will not be nearly so good, and could not hope to favorably weather any such comparisons.

It's also true that almost every fantasy work these days has elves and dwarves, and I wanted to stand apart from that.

10. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Elder edda, i guess you are rigth! thanks i didnt know the real translation or if there was one, i just though that it was that way...

11. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestion i will check it out. I do find his life interesting. =D

13. TheNuttyConfessor

TheNuttyConfessor Mother Confessor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    great cover art! I'm a softie for colored pencil. :eek:
    I'll be keeping an eye out for your book if you get published!

14. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it! It's not actually colored pencil, but it looks a bit like it. It's regular pencil and a good bit of computer. ;)

15. TheNuttyConfessor

TheNuttyConfessor Mother Confessor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BAH sorry! I know next to nothing about art...

But I do know books, and yours would definitely catch my eye at a bookstore. Too bad the publishing process tends to put unfitting covers on many fantasy novels. -_-

16. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No problem, and thanks. :)

They DO at that. And I'm kind of oldschool, I like book covers that look like posters. Which is a dying breed in a book cover these days.