The Darth side of Lucas' politics ('Sith' seems to mirror U.S. current affairs)

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    George Lucas, political pundit?

The "Star Wars" creator took some heat when his "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" was seen by some conservatives as an all-too-obvious commentary on contempo politics.

Pic's plot had an evil leader using fear of a mysterious enemy to wrangle dictatorial powers from the Senate. The hero is corrupted, the Republic collapses into tyranny and evil triumphs.

The film bowed more than a year before Congress moved to give President Bush authority to deny habeas corpus rights for non-citizens and to authorize some forms of torture.

"Some people have said 'Revenge of the Sith' is coming true. I say I didn't mean to make this all happen." Lucas quipped following a grant presentation to his alma mater USC last week.

"When I wrote it 30 years ago, it was contemporary. It was about the Vietnam War, it was about Nixon, it was about the government the way it was then.

"Then when I made the (new 'Star Wars') films over the last 10 years, it was very contemporary, even though it was 20 years old.

"Now that I've finished them, and they're gone, they're even getting more relevant. It's just getting worse and worse, I'm afraid."

But those upset by such political trends should take heart, he says.

"You've got to remember that the rebels win in the end. Darth Vader is vanquished. Don't forget the ending. Don't get stuck on 'Episode III.' "

2. Lord Kenobi

Lord Kenobi The Negotiator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    man... george lucas is one "Crazy old wizard"....lol

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    but yeah George says its about nixon and vietnam...but to me that much resembles what is happening now, so its no surprise people think "Sith" is a reflection of what is happening...

4. Lord Kenobi

Lord Kenobi The Negotiator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    but he didn't do that intentionally rite?

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    mmm I dont know...what he was saying about vietnam and nixon was probably with intention...but that was in the past (when he wrote it)...what happened in Sith is happening now....

6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yes with the originals it WAS intentional, but accidentally, the prequels are very much reflecting what is going on in America today. Even after the release of Episode II, Lucas said how surprised he was that the politics of the film was reflected on what was going on in the news, and he even joked how much Episode III would end up reflecting the Bush Administration when made...... And yeah, it still does!

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I highly doubt GL was making any direct references to Bush, or that he re-wrote any of ep3 to make it more about Bush. Politics is just politics. Things run in cycles, and a big country like America with fingers in several different pies will inevitably find itself in similar situations as time goes on. 30 years is a long time, but it just happened to coincide with another unpopular, drawn out war. Mere coincidence, especially as he started making the prequels 10 years or so again, and no president can rule for more than 8 years. And there was no way he would have foreseen the second Iraq war. Unless he really IS a Jedi......