The Darkfriend Social in TGH

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Unraveller, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Right, this is where we're going to try to identify everyone at the party. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the term we're talking about the meeting of Darkfriends in the Prologue of The Great Hunt. Words in italics are my preliminary opinions and obvious identities.

Who's There?

Well, first off Bors. We know he's Carridin.

An Illianer woman drawing attention to herself, wearing a scarlet dress, low cut in the bodice and high at the hem. Golden slippers on her feet. Rich, probably noble.

A Domani woman, long black hair to her waist. Creamy high-necked gown. Noble, perhaps royal (of the first blood of Arad Doman). Wide gold bracelet on her wrist bearing her house symbols.

Shienaran man in a blue coat. A soldier, staring everyone down. Probably Ingtar.

A Tinker in bright green breeches and a virrulent yellow coat. A lot of people think this is Aram.

A High Lord of Tear (silver worked boots).

A high officer of the Queen's Guards (golden spurs).

A cowled and robed Sea Folk person. 6-pointed star tattooed on their right hand between thumb and index finger. Many people believe this to have been conclusively stated to be a man but a few pages later he says he cannot determine the sex. Knowing RJ this is a woman.

An Aes Sedai. Black dress. Golden Serpent ring on her right hand.

Another Aes Sedai. These two are almost certainly Liandrin and Alviarin although one could be Galina.

Others:

Ba'alzamon. Ishy, looking a little crispy after his encounter with Rand.

THe Myrddraal. People have theorised that this is the first appearance of Shaidar Haran. A lot of it is based on this line:

"Thin, bloodless lips quirked in what might almost have been a smile..."

Shaidar Haran is the only Myrddraal who can smile. There is also the fact that the Myrddraal is really there, Ishy appears floating in the air a foot above its head, most likely a projection of some sort. Of course, there's always the possibility of the old, "early in the series, hadn't thought it all through yet..."

The servants. Minds destroyed by Compulsion they move with 'disturbing grace and look very similar. Where are they from? The grace suggests Sea Folk or Domani to me and the beauty and similarity suggest Graendal had a hand in their selection.

2. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    What was the name of the man Rahvin sent to Tear after the women? Seems like he was a high ranking officer in the Queen's Guard.

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yeah thats likely

also the servants in white sound similar to those used by 'the blood' so it could show some seanchan part in this, maybe sulroth and her dealings wiht liandrin.

4. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ive always though that David Hanlon is the Queen's Guard present there, and I can't see it going any other way than Aram being the Tinker. I like Aram, he's cool, but....hes a strange young lad, the only person to stray from the Tinkers in a loooooooong time (as far as we know) he's absolutely bloodthirsty - incrediably uncommon for a Tinker.

Im guessing the Aes Sedai are, as you said, Alviarin and Liandrin. And im gonna guess the High Lord Of Tear is Weiramon (see my other post for my reasons).

5. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    It's either Hanlon or Rahvin's lackey (whose name escapes me for the minute, I'll look it up later when I get home). There are points against them both however. I don't think Hanlon was involved until they were the White Lions, have to check his later PoVs though. Rahvin's lackey didn't seem high/important enough to merit inclusion in the social. Hanlon would be the more likely to be summoned to the party but from the timing I'll have to vote for the lackey.

Any ideas on the Sea Folk figure? Could it be Talaan? Adeleas' killer? Nesta? Someone else?

6. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    His name was Comar but his description doesn't mention boots. Not definitive, probably just RJ leaving out the easiest clue.

So, the Sea Folk?

The Illianer lady?

The High Lord? Anyone else think he's Weiramon? I'm uncommitted as yet.

The Domani?

I still don't buy the Aram explanation, it's just way too obvious. Would a DF who had survived long enough in disguise to reach the higher councils suddenly give himself away as a bloodthirsty killer?

7. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I dunno about the High Lord. There are several possibilities, Weiramon being the most apparent.

8. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I don't think we can identify the Illianer lady, I don't think we've come across any. She may be one of the lords' wife though.

Likewise the Domani. She is likely a member of the Royal family considering the position Graendal found for herself. Graendal has the king's brother and sister-in-law, eldest daughter and youngest sister as pets. Our Df could be another sister or daughter as it is implicit in the description that there are more. She could also be one of the Council of Merchants although she doesn't seem old enough.

As for the High Lords, it could be any of them really. Even Darlin.

The Sea Folk is still the greatest mystery to me. I'm beginning to believe it's Talaan, the apprentice.

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    You know I think the illianer lady could be another of the black ajah. Wasnt one of the two in ebou dar an illianer (the other one could be the domani but i doubt it). Either way I'm sure there was an illianer in the black ajah.

Because if you think about it, 'Bors' was saying how most people took no care in hiding their identity, and I dont think he was the only one to take precautions. I'm sure not every black sister kept her ring on, that would be just stupid.

10. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    But why would Alviarin and Liandrin not bother to disguise themselves when their underlings did? Unless... Alviarin's Domani isn't she? Liandrin definitely isn't disguised though. Just thought, they couldn't be AS, no ageless face. A Whitecloak Questioner would certainly recognise it.

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Duh! the entire meeting had everyone wearing black masks! dont you remember!

12. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Weren't they just eyemasks? Did they cover the whole face?

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well they said masks so I assumed the whole face like a theatrical mask or something.

After RJ describes ba'alzamon wearing a mask aswell and I only assume its the same kind of mask (To cover up all that crispy char grilled skin). If his was just an eyemask it wouldnt do much to hide his skin and therfore be pointless. That the only clue to what kind of masks they wear, and that is of course all assuming that ba'alzamon wears the same kind of mask as everyone else.

14. Demandred

Demandred Forsaken

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    see, the problem i have with the Aram theory is that its way to ovbious... the counter side though is that its a bit late in the series for RJ to introduce another tinker. so unless its the man from the man and wife combo that perrin knows from a couple of meetings (name escapes me at the moment) then it kinda has to be him... hopefully when we all RAFO we will all be pleasantly suprised by RJ. once again id like to state how high my expectations for book 11 are....