The crown of the king!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by LOTR Fan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah personally I'll be waiting to see what UC comes up with. I might buy one or two pieces of NC jewellery simply because they're the only ones who make it, but UC's prices seem much more reasonable and I've never found their quality lacking.

2. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree that UC looks good! Their quality is not likely to be an issue, but do you really want to wait another year and a half for their crown to be finished? I would rather have NC and then part with it if I want to, than wait on pins and needles for a UC which is still in the prototype stage (whatever that is good for?), think about we were supposed to have the Anduril scabbard by this time, the crown is a long LONG, LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG way off!

I do however like the pillow!! :) :) :)

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    As impatient as I am to collect everything with a LOTR sticker on it, I don't have the money. And if it's worth waiting for, then I'm happy to wait. So I don't care how long they take to make it, as long as when I fork out my large amount of money, I'm getting a quality piece I can display proudly. I don't want to rush into buying something sub-standard (not saying NC is, just an example) when I can wait for some healthy competition. I learnt that lesson when I was much younger.

4. VALAMATAR

VALAMATAR New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most of the times it's true, UC makes really fine items, but talking about helms...close but not perfect.My Elendil Helmet is a really impressive piece of imaginery, but it's not as well assembled as it should be (i.e).

In another thread I post my doubts about the Gondorian Helmet, and I'm waiting for the Elven warrior helm and shield to be back on the bright side of life.Steel is not easy to work with, but in Spain this helm costs 480 euros (646 US dollars)and it's a lot of money to deal with.

Of course I bought it in the USA, 3 times less than here he he he.

God bless you America for such a good prices!!!

5. darthrage

darthrage Sith Lord of the Realm

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have to say it looks pretty similar to NC's version. Of course, we're looking at a plastic model, and we'll have to wait and see( I would guess minimum of 18 months with UC's track record ) before we see a finished product. I'll have NC's under my tree this year, and if UC's is that much nicer I'll buy it and sell my NC. With that said, I've been waiting for SOMEONE to make the crown of Elessar since I got my LE Anduril and cannnot wait to display them together. Woodworking is a hobby and passion for me, and I am in the design stage of a custom case for LE Anduril, LE shards and helm of Elendil and crown. So I just can't wait for UC.

But damn I love the pillow idea! Very regal and noble, the sort of thing you would actually expect to see that crown resting on. Although I'm not to partial to the cake plate it is resting on. Looks like a step above something you would see a pie sitting on in a diner. The pillow tassels remind me of the carpet in Disney's Aladdin - I wouldn't miss them if they didn't find their way onto a finished product.

But once again as the patient (chuckle) collectors we all are, we'll just have to wait and see. Should we take a pool on pricing???

6. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

maybe we should :D

I say the MSRP will be ~$600. and it will sell for ~$350-400.
    any more bets? :p

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  7. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Theres no way that the MSRP will be $600. Thats outrageous. I think it would be closer to $500... and the selling price will be around... $200-$280 =)

Do you guys think that this is going to be one of those limited things that everyone wants? And then an Unlimited Edition will come out because everyone wants one? =) I can see it already. Oh yes... we'll have a fun time, listening to people complain that they didnt know about the Unlimited... and then the people who will say that the value of their crown just dropped down the stairs... haha sorry.

8. VALAMATAR

VALAMATAR New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep!!! I'm repairing an old wooden arm-chair, with knightly engraved motives, to put my Aragorn's set on it.The crown (I posted a year ago as soon as I saw it in the movie) is the main item.Two set could be done: Elessar (Anduril;Crown and Barahir's ring) and Aragorn's (Strider's sword, Arwen's pendant and Elven knife).

Another one: Elendil's Helmet,Narsil and a Palantir (fast, fast, tell UC!!!).

Merry Christmas!!!

9. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would imagine retail to be more like $300, it is much smaller than a helmet. As far as the LE vs. UE issue again - - - - - - - - - - - - I was just beginning to heal! :balrog:

10. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think Jessehk is closer to the mark. We're talking about the crown with quite a lot of detail , probably of one or more metals. The pillow and the wooden / metal whatever they make it out of display stand.
    $525.00 MSRP, $275-$350 actual available price.

Could very well be limited to 2000. That seems to be the trend with UC metal helms these days. Although I think these bad boys are going to sell like hotcakes. Who knows?

NC is now advertising order today and it will ship jan 14th for their crown. So it's either doing well, or they are having problems making them fast enough. I believe theirs is limited to 9500, but don't quote me on that.,

11. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Quoted" You are right 9500! A rather large size if you ask me ;)

12. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    :cool: All right gang, my NC crown arrived and I am quite pleased. Nice detail. Very well done. The base is a nice finished wood with the tree of gondor emblazened on it. It has an acrylic cover to keep the dust off and give it a museum feel which is quite nice.

Number 0058 of 9500. :cool:

My only issues with it are the size. It is a bit smaller than I expected. It fits, but not the way it fits Aragorn in the film. Perhaps Viggo has a very small head? More likely, they did not have an original to work with. So UC if you're listening, make yours larger!!!

The other issue which has already been discussed is the gold on the crown's emblems. It doesn't look like gold, more like brass or bronze. On close visual inspection it looks like gold leaf may have been used because there are subtle imperfections in the way it was applied. Gives it a more authentic made in the past feel though. I wouldn't want it to look machine stamped. I must say though, after watching the extended ROTK (finally!!!) last night and comparing the gold color the that of the film prop, it is very acurate. It doesn't look like sparkling new just steam cleaned gold on the film crown, so why would you want it that way on your's?

Over all I would give this a 4.5 out of 5. Folks this is a damn nice replica, and I personally have been waiting for it since I got my LE Anduril. I am very pleased with it. However, if you want to wear it for recreations etc. you may want to wait for UC and see if they get the size a little better.

And I promise, photos will be posted. I wanted to get some kind of review up for all of you with christmas money burning a hole in your pocket.

13. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For those of you that got your crown from NC, did you notice if all 4 points of the crown fit into the holes on the stand? I got my replacement and it and the first one didn't fit properly on the wooden base. I'm returning both. It looks like a production problem. Also, on the replacement one, the velvet material on the stand was actually coming off, and on both the velvet was damaged by those silica bead packets they put in there to absorb dampness- it was placed against the velvet side and then the styrofoam box so it was crushed against the velvet.

Has anyone else had these types of problems? Do the points of the crown actually fit in all the holes for yours?

Regarding the actual crown, the 1st crown was perfect. The second was pitted in one of the top seams. I'm going to try again ordering a 3rd piece after Jan 14th when the next batch is shipped. Hopefully they've corrected the spacing of the holes.

14. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Received mine!!!!! #268 here, a great piece! My only complaint would be the base, it is NOT solid wood - it is a particle wood, mine has a slight chip in one of the corners. I am also considering ditching the acrylic in favor of a glass cover, less dust more durable.

Overall a much better deal than waiting two or three years for UC!

15. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    OK - there are some photos of the crown in my member gallery:

http://www.thefantasyforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2461

I had some issues uploading - first time posting to the gallery, it's a little confusing. Hope you enjoy them.

BTW, my crown fit into 3 holes in the base initially, all four with minor coaxing. But I think it looks fine sitting the way it is. I took alot more pics and will upload more if there is any interest. The one next to the Helm of Elendil is for scale purposes - to give you an idea of size comparison. Personally I think this crown is a peach - BUT please let me know what you all think.

16. Sindarking01

Sindarking01 Lord Of the Grey Elves

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope to God, Allah, Budduh, take your pick, but is it lighting or does the crown look like plastic? To me it just doesn't look very nice, I hope I'm wrong but it just looks sorta cheap.

17. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    We need some pictures of it on your head!

18. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You are safe! It is a very nice metal!

19. HybridK03

HybridK03 KID A

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, those pics have me sold! VERY nice!!

20. Sindarking01

Sindarking01 Lord Of the Grey Elves

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found this on a auction site,it had some really nice pics.

Attached Files: