The crown of the king!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by LOTR Fan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I gave up on being a purist a while ago! I want it for display- I agree next to Anduril! :)

2. Starknight

Starknight New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I believe in the books Tolkien says that the crown used at Aragorn's coronation was made from the Helmet of Elendil (hence why the crest on the crown and helmet have the same sea bird wing motif)

I've loved the crown since seeing it in the movie (actually even before from that teaser pic of the back of Aragorn's head as he wears it). Something I definitely want to get and place above my Shards and Anduril display.

I am a little concerned as to the quality of the crown based on what I've heard about the NC weapons. I did buy the elven brooch from NC and so far have had no complains about it (except that the pin goes the wrong was so it's difficult to wear as a cloak clasp!) Also was hoping to see something on the dimensions of the crown. Would hate to get it and have it be too small to wear even if only for a single picture! LOL

Hope if anyone orders it they will share some details about it with the rest of us!

3. Aragorn rocks

Aragorn rocks New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hate NC swords I only like the jewlery such as aragorn's ring and crown

4. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In the Return of the King Movie...the statues in the throne room at Minas Tirith had crowns on them. Check out the scene where Gandalf first arrives with Pippin. If the previous kings didn't have crowns then I guess PJ made another mistake.

5. darthrage

darthrage Sith Lord of the Realm

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think after the job PJ did with the films we can call his "mistakes" poetic liscence (even if I can spell it correctly!!!)

6. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I would have to agree with you...besides it just isn't reasonable to expect someone to change the medium of the story (book to film) and keep the story the exact same down to the last bush...BTW to me it kinda makes sense that the statues would have crowns because the way jackson set it up with aragorn recieving the crown of the king you would want it to seem like every king before aragorn had been crowned king with a crown...perhaps we will learn more about it on the extended edition which comes out tomarrow (finally...the wait is almost over!!!)...

BTW I see now that the crown is listed as "available" at the noble collections website...i've heard people here have ordered it...when you get it you have to post pics!!!

7. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was assured by NC it would be in stock and available to ship on Monday 12/13/04 - but I have not received an e-mail saying it shipped - I'll post pics after christmas!!!

8. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just received mine, but it is a gift from my cruel wife; who won't let me open it until Christmas ;)

9. Nithrom

Nithrom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    actually Tolkien says in the Rotk, that the heir was supposed to get the crown from his father before he laid himself to die. Now, since the last king of Gondor was earnur, he didn't have an heir, rode out to face the witchking in minas morgul and never returned, he left his crown with Mardil the first steward.
    now, this is the very same helm like crown that Faramir has with him on the coronation day. So, the elf stone could rather be a symbol of linage, because their was a crown, formed like the late numenorean helmets. I think NC's crown works really well with the story.

10. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mine came today - it's being held hostage by my cruel wife til christmas as well LOTR fan - I feel your pain!!! As a matter of fact she is also holding hostage my extended edition of teh return of the king, so I haven't even seen it yet!!! I'm dying over here!!!

11. Starknight

Starknight New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Told my family specifically NOT to get me the extended edition just so I could get it myself the first day (and believe me, it's well worth it!!!) I also got the Evenstar from NC for my birthday. It's a beautiful piece, my only complaint being the chain for it was too small for me to wear (easily fixed). And I'm getting Hadhafang (the UC version) for Christmas. My Mom is the one holding this one hostage (though she did let me see it once before putting it away! :D

She was either going to get the crown or the sword, and I chose the sword just because as I said I wanted some more info on the crown before commiting to getting it. Figured this was the best place to look!

Could the jewel that the Numenorean kings wore also be the Star of Elendil, which Aragorn wore to Pellenor Field in the book. I looked it up and it is discribed as a royal diadem worn by the Kings of Arnor (the Northern Kingdom) a simple fillet of silver set with a single diamond over the brow. They may have carried on that tradition in the North while Gondor used the winged crown of Elendil in the south.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just received my crown from NC. # 68. I think it is wonderful. I do have issues with it though and will be returning it for a replacement. On mine, the velvet that is part of the wooden display stand is a mess- it looksscratched and worn away. Also, the crown sits on its 4 points in holes made into the base, well on my base, the holes were not drilled properly and only 3 of the points fit into a hole. I have just sent off a letter to their customer service, so we'll see what happens. I do want a replacement though- the crown is great... although the 24k gold sorta looks like copper ?!?! Also, NC says it's full sized- yet it doesn't fit me- granted I take a large hat, but I'm a woman and this crown was made for a tall strapping man- doesn't seem to me to be quite full sized.

Anyway, a thought for those waiting for UC to make this crown... if you look at their crown section which is showing what they plan to offer at a later date- it doesn't have King Elessar's crown shown or listed. That is what made me decide not to wait.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  13. Nithrom

Nithrom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quote: Could the jewel that the Numenorean kings wore also be the Star of Elendil, which Aragorn wore to Pellenor Field in the book. I looked it up and it is discribed as a royal diadem worn by the Kings of Arnor (the Northern Kingdom) a simple fillet of silver set with a single diamond over the brow. They may have carried on that tradition in the North while Gondor used the winged crown of Elendil in the south.

Starknight, you hit the nail right on the head. I think you are right about this. well said

Nithrom

14. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is taken from Unfinished Tales from Numenor and Middle Earth, from the chapter 'Aldarion and Erendis':
    " 'No!' said Erendis. 'I have had my betrothal gift, though it came beforehand. It is the only jewel that I have or would have; and I will set it yet higher.' Then he saw that she had caused the white gem to be set as a star in a silver fillet; and at her asking he bound it on her forehead....(quote edited) ...she was known far and wide as Tar-Elesterne, the Lady of the star brow."

The footnote to this passage reads:
    "Thus came, it is said, the manner of the Kings and Queens afterward to wear as a star a white jewel upon the brow, and they had no crown."

Tar-Aldarian was the sixth king of Numenor of the line of Elros.

15. Nithrom

Nithrom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes that is correct. But when isildur died at the gladden fields that tradition may have changed, since he died with most his belongings. I can't remember where I have seen this(please help me out), but when Gandalf looks trough Sarumans things, he finds the remains of what could be Isildurs belongings. No bones. just the star of the numenoreans and a box for something small and shinning:)

16. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So just the base was messed up? You're happy with the crown itself? Trust me I would return it as well, I'm just curious if you're happy with teh crown itself (other than the size).

17. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yes Darthrage, the crown is really nicely. My only issues with it are the size and the fact that I don't think anyone would believe that's 24 ct gold on the crown.

They sending me the replacement today. their customer service rep was great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. darthrage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Excellent Meldawen, thanks for the info - glad to hear NC is takeing care of you. I'll post some pics soon as I can get mine (christmas!!!)

19. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Here are pictures of a resin prototype of the UC version. The final version will be made of solid metals.
    Originally posted at UCforums.

Attached Files:

20. SANCHO VII EL FUERTE

SANCHO VII EL FUERTE New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome.Another item for my collection.I'll wait for it instead of buying NC's crown.