The bitch about your weight/ exercise discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crouton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Getting back to work has done wonders for my body. All of the sudden my spagetti arms are bigger, I feel like I am less flabby and it looks a little bit better in the mirror. No idea on my weight though. It's time to step the training up soon because in september I am running a K9 Biathlon with my dog.

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Oooh, a biathlon sounds really cool. And I'm happy to hear that your job is doing you so good. :heart:
    Screw weight, I say. What's most important is that we are healthy and we feel good. :D

3. Detth

Detth Wanderer

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I gain weight very slowly, no matter how much or what i eat. So i plan to start with fitness soon as i am slightly embarrased (only 20 and something BMI)

4. NilsHernadi1

NilsHernadi1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They say baby fats tend to disappear when you grow up. How I wish it isn't just a fantasy for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  5. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    Why the hell do I keep gaining weight. Pushing 100kgs now, and that's with constantly walking home from work, and I've actually been trying to not eat so much. I'm so confused right now. Umm, end of rant I guess lol.

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Weight is generally linked to lifestyle and eating habits. So if you're gaining weight it means that both are resulting in a situation where your body is capable and able to gain fat - and generally a body will gain weight if it can (its lazy plus weight gain is putting on reserves for when you don't have food - your body doesn't believe in the next meal coming being a certain fact).

I'd say consider:
    1) What you are eating; not just volume of food but what you eat. A lot of processed food and pre-made food contains a lot of additives which are often fatty or salty or sweet or otherwise add up to be unhealthy. So sometimes just cutting processed food and shifting to fresher food

2) What your work life is like. Walking to work is great, but if you're doing office work all day (for example) then you might not be burning all that much energy overall. Sure you'll get tired after a days work, but you won't be burning off what you eat.

3) Home lifestyle - again if you're doing a lot of games/reading/sitting around etc... chances are you could be again adding to your situation of gaining rather than maintaining or losing weight.

4) Muscle - so you could be doing heavy work all day which means that instead of fat you could be gaining muscle mass, although your post suggests this is not the case I'm throwing this in as a consideration.

Remember that height to body weight calculators are very VERY crude estimations of healthy body weights. I would suggest getting proper sensible medical advice and health advice before taking any drastic action.

I also suggest changing lifestyle rather than just dieting. The problem with diets is that you cut out food; lose weight; then you generally cut out the diet once you hit your target weight. If that isn't combined with a lifestlye change then you'll just regain all that you lost. Indeed many times a simple lifestyle change can result in weight loss without having to go on a diet.

7. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    Ha!
    i'm around 160kg atm, (350lb)

8. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I'll answer a few of these.

1. I very much know I have to actually watch what I eat. it tends too be a lot of whatever is quick to eat at any given time which usually isn't anything good for me.

2.Work life is usually standing over fryers while running around like a lunatic because I have this or that that needs cooking. oh and putting loads away when they come in. and twice a week, I go work at the restaurant that I used to work at more regularly, though thankfully that's gonna end soon.

3.well for this one, you really just gotta go look at some other posts by me and you'll see I tend to play games most of the time that I have free.

4. this is a something that I've thought about being the cause of my rapid increase in weight. but I don't really do more than I did when I was in the range I wanted to be except I actually watch what I eat more lol.

this response was in no way supposed to be negative in any way, I really hope it didn't come through curt at all, I'm just rather tired atm. I actually don't even know why I'm typing this tbh lol. umm yea. but I do appreciate your tips, and it's something I have to look into. the good thing is, I just had my biometrics test done today, and I'm pretty much healthy, except good cholesterol is a bit low.

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    1) Sounds like you could make some good changes there; look into some quick healthy food options along with perhaps some things like cooking with slow cookers and such so that you can setup meals or good in batches and fridge/freeze the food to last longer.

2) Work sounds like you're kept on your feet and active which is a good thing even if you're not doing super-heavy work all day. Of course this also has the downside that its likely leaving you worn out and thus impacts point 3.

3) Games are great and I love them too. What you might need is one or two interests/hobbies that get you out and about even when you're not at work.
    Cycling; hiking; rowing; weights; sports; running; photography out and about; etc... anything that gets you up and moving is good.