The bitch about your weight/ exercise discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crouton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Have you ever had your thyroid gland tested? Because my brother has had the same problem ("problem", however you want to take it) and it turned out he has a thyroid hyperfunction - which is why he's the only thin person in the family, despite all the junk food and sugary drinks he likes so much. :D

2. froboy69

froboy69 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am stuck in the 180s; I can lose weight as low to 180 but I can quickly gain weight around 188. It's irritating because I keep telling myself that I need to get to the 170s already.

3. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well my dad's the same way so I think it's just in my blood. However, thank you. If I start to worry for myself I'll be sure to take a test. For now the only issue is my low blood pressure but I have herbal treatment for that:)

4. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I also weigh too little so I've been trying to gain some muscles, but I haven't really achieved much :<

5. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    320, don't care.

6. froboy69

froboy69 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ughghhhh I am still in the 180s!:mad:

7. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    According to Google, which I always use to convert stuff, I'm in the 160s. My aim is ~140. Such a long way to go. :confused:

You know what I hate? People who say they lost a lot of weight (or who actually did it) by just giving up soda and alcohol and sweets (and stuff), and without any exercise. I've given up sugary drinks and booze (apart from the occasional drink once a month or so) and convenience foods long ago and it didn't do sh*t. :mad:

8. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Ah, yes, giving up soda and alcohol can be quite helpfull, but yeah, sometimes it's not enough. Each of us has a different metabolism and that can suck. Mine is not that good really, but I do eat very healthy and I try to exercise regularly. I weigh 46 kg now (around 101,5 pounds, I guess - and yes, I'm small) and I feel quite comfortable with that (although some more muscles would be nice and I would welcome those extra kilograms). There was a time back in the day when my diet was much worse, I didn't exercise and I weighed 52 kg. I'm quite aware that's not much either but it didn't feel good.

9. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    i gave up drinking and smoking, and found junk food...

10. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Now, usually when I heard stories like that I would think "Ugh, I hate her, weighing so little without exercise", but yeah, everyone's metabolism is different and I guess we just have to learn what our bodies (and minds?) need. In the end, what's most important is that we feel good and that we are healthy. :)
    I'm getting there. I still have a long way to go but I already feel much better. :D

I don't blame you, junk food can be quite alluring. For me it's been very hard to give up junk and convenience foods, and I haven't given up on them entirely. I've been trying to maintain a healthy diet with cheat days once a week, but if you're as bad at cooking as me that's so difficult to realise. :confused:

11. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I'm always impressed by people who need to work extra to achieve something and yet they don't give up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it goes better and better (and I'm sure it will)! :) And basically each of us struggles with different problems and issues. I've never had to lose weight, but I am very weak - both because I'm petite, but also (mostly) because I'm sick. If I didn't exercise I would feel much much worse.

12. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    i'm too lazy, there, i said it.

13. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I think the failure with weightloss for many is that they see a target weight that they wish to achieve; so they cut food; change diets; exercise and push themselves like crazy to reach that weight.

And then they often maintain that mad pace for a while to stay at that weight; but eventually they often slip back into old habits. They achieved the weight; they made their target so the sweets and foods can creep back and the extra exercise can be dropped. Before they know it they've yo-yoed back to a lifestyle that gains weight toward a heavier body again.

And that's the key - weight and body shape/fitness are tied to lifestyle.
    In my view diets are good for short term situations and they are often essential for those who are not just overweight but in serious medical need of weight loss; but they are not the key to weight loss in itself.

The key is to change ones lifestyle with a view toward long term change; not just a short term diet.

I think part and parcel of that is looking at how one lives and seeing what you can change within that and see where it takes you. You might find that a bit of extra exercise that is part of a regular routine slowly loses you weight; that a few changes to diet there and there again help shift things. And what's better is once you lose that weight its lost - your body is adapting to a new lifestyle and mentally and in reality its not short term; its a long term actual change that you're making to your life.

You lose the idea of a target "weight" and instead aim toward a lifestyle that will likely coincide with a healthier body and weight.

Of course if you load up on exercise you might find your weight doesn't go down as fast as you'd expect or it might even go up for a bit as you lose fat but gain muscle. But because its lifestlye and not weight numbers that's ok - you might not be as "light" as you want but you're already healthier!

(remember things like the BMI are very very VERY crude estimations of weight and often those who are very physically fit can appear to be under or overweight on many indexes )

14. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    The thing with running and going to the fitness is: it's rather boring... I mean, generally I like it while I'm doing it and afterwards especially (the little high you get, and because you feel good abt yourself doing sports :p), but sometimes it can be hard to start with the exercise. It's not very eventful, right? Especially 'cause I already know all places near me. I've run about everywhere in my neighborhood. When I'm on a holiday or some place new, then it's much more interesting, of course. Especially when you're staying at the beach!
    Now I 'm looking for something different from running and fitness. I'm considering indoor climbing. A friend of mine is going to come with me when she's back from her holiday. But not sure if that's gonna be a thing, something we'd do occasionally. I'm also gonna check to join a volleybal team. I used to play volleybal until I was 15 or so. But I'm afraid I'll suck at it now. :) Also bought a racing bike recently (second hand, got a good price I think..), but now that it's getting freaking cold it'll take a time before I can go out and enjoy it.
    Sports used to be about weight loss for me, but it gradually changed. Not that I would mind losing another 5 pounds or so, but I love the feeling of exercise more than the idea of weight loss that follows. I think perhaps it's easier to lose weight if you're not too fixated on it. If you're just having fun. Well, in my experience, the times I lost a significant amount of weight, I wasn't even trying. Okay I'm always watching my food, but I wasn't on a particular diet or counting calories, I mean.

15. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    You're so right :D As I don't run but use the stationary bike or elliptical trainer it's even more boring to do cardio - there's nothing to look at but other people working out and TV screens with dumb music videos. I absolutely can't do cardio without music or an audiobook to entertain me. :D

Oooh, indoor climbing sounds (and looks) awesome! That's something that I'd just love to try one day, because I'm sure it's a lot of fun if you have the strength and skill to climb. :heart:

16. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if I'm gonna have enough strength in my arms to do it. Heard if your technique is good, you only need to use the muscles in your legs, which I'm sure are better developed. We'll see :D Maybe I won't manage. I'll keep you informed:)

High five for audiobooks!! I would never do fitness or running anymore without an audiobook hehe.

17. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I was never one for sports at school and also find things like running or gym get dull very quickly. I also find that whilst you get that nice "exercise" high at the end you also can't "see" any product for your hours of sweat and exercise except the counter on the scales going down (or not moving much ;)). So you get some sense of improvement but daily there's very very little.

I've actually found doing conservation work far more rewarding. True sometimes its dead dull (spraying bracken....); but many times its more entertaining and at the end of the day you can turn around and see what work you've done - you can see an achievement for your daily work.

There's also the bonus that as you get fitter you can feel and see the change in how you work at it.

I think that's the same for any "use" of exercise. And for each person its different; so really its not about finding use but finding what kind of "use" works for you. If that's running further or lifting more or climbing higher etc.....

On the subject of climbing technique is a huge part of it more than strength alone. Like many things its sometimes not the raw strength but the application of strength in the right way that gets results.

18. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ugh, my shoulders are getting arthritic and I can't lift like I used to. :(

19. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, climbing is lots of fun. There's a sort of built-in drama to it: imagine every move as a struggle, without a certain outcome, ending with a triumph, or a quick plummet. I've found it's important to not get discouraged in the early stages.

20. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, interesting!
    I haven't been climbing yet but I have started playing volleybal again. I really enjoy it, but our trainer is a bit weird. Or maybe I'm just not used to people telling me what to do:) I was very stiff after the first time, ridiculously stiff! But the second time: nothing. Bizarre. I even forgot to stretch but I'm a-okay now.
    Maybe I can try climbing next week.