The bitch about your weight/ exercise discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crouton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Went into work this afternoon to get my biometric screening done, everything was great fit-as-a-fiddle... except my weight!
    Last year I weighed in at 179lbs, which is right where it ought to be for someone my height and body type. I now weigh 167lbs, and that concerns me because I eat plenty and am definitely not on a diet.
    I think it's time for me to go back to eating red meat!

2. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I've gained 30 lbs since I got pregnant. I started at 115 lbs, which was technically underweight for my height but eff that. I now weigh 145 lbs... and the doctor still wants me to gain about 10 more, which judging by how hungry I am all the time, I'll have that gained by next effing week...

Most days I feel like a heffer. I mean, I know I'm supposed to gain weight because it's healthy and stuff for the bebe but I can no longer easily roll out of bed, get up off of the couch, put my shoes on, or dress/undress...

just SIGH

3. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    My sister had the same distress over her first pregnancy, had been thin all her life then ballooned over the next nine months, "I just want to get this baby out!". After the bundle of joy was delivered she lost almost all the weight within six months and was back to normal in nine months... then got pregnant again.:)

Her biggest complaint, and most discomfort was due to hemorrhoids the size of golf balls.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I'm lucky enough to have not gotten hemorrhoids, or any of the other things people warn you about like morning sickness. I just have horrible back pain, an insatiable appetite, hormonal and emotional fits of rage (lol), and the inability to wear my old clothes.

"I just want this baby out" has been my motto pretty much since I found out I was pregnant... I'm not a fan!

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Ever see anyone jogging with a smile on their face ?
    Thought not................doesn't look like much fun.
    Enough said

6. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I actually enjoy jogging quite a bit lol

7. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I enjoy beer mug lifting....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I enjoy lying in bed.

Also,

Back to topic - I've heard so much about runner's highs, and I can't imagine what that must be like. But then again, I'm so unfit, running or jogging for me means legs that feel like pudding and breathlessness. :p

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Bet you don't show it whilst you are actually running though - bet you have a kind of pained grimace on your face !!:D

10. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The guy whose 50lbs overweight and has a heart attack, or the woman with weight issues and hypertension who has a stroke or develops diabetes... ain't smiling either.;)

When it comes to eating right, and health & fitness... you can pay now, or pay later.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Whether running, hiking, or the many years I played club soccer... I never got that 'euphoric' runners high, more just an enjoyable feeling afterwards of being spent. Running, or any physical exertion also reduces stress.
    They've done studies on young people and this new modern lifestyle, playing too much video games, too much time on computer devices, etc... and often times it's not the caloric intake that's the main problem, it is in fact the lack of exercise.
    http://www.phitamerica.org/News_Archive/EYE_OPENING__Activity_vs_Calories.htm

12. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The moment your little one is given to you to hold for the first time, it'll all have been worth it.;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    since new yrs i've been on a salad diet

14. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Trudat!

As I spend most of my time at work sitting at my desk and love playing video games and reading books, this completely applies to me. My s.o. and I have now decided to start strength training soon (soon because access to our university's weights room is restricted until April v_v) - we've tried doing sports together years ago, but quit after a couple of months because we're both lazy bums and found more and more excuses to avoid working out. However, I still want to give it another shot. First because I now have a better idea of what my workouts should look like, second because I struggle a little less with eating healthily than back then.

Is this a temporary thing, or a complete dietary change? :eek:

15. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I'm lucky at my workplace as I'm up and down all night, and usually for a twelve hour shift. The woman I'm seeing right now is very health-conscious and active, and really puts me to shame sometimes. If we want to go hangout downtown, eat lunch visit the art museum and do some shopping... we can't just jump in the car and make the short drive! Oh no, we jog there (which is only a half mile), and then walk back home. But it is nice to have someone pushing me. If you have trouble staying motivated about workouts and exercise, I suggest you don't be so formal about it. Instead of structured workouts, just walk more and try to find some activities that keep you on your feet and moving, and of course that you would enjoy doing.

16. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Reviving this thread not to bitch about my weight or exercise, but to post an update. I joined a gym almost a year ago, and I've been working out 2-3 times per week since then. I even started working out with free weights in late July (in the same room with all the buff dudes :eek: and kids who want to be buff dudes), and I'm actually enjoying strength training a lot. I'm making very slow progress, but it's progress nonetheless (my diet has improved, but still isn't optimal - that is something I can always bitch about, but not today :p), and today some colleagues/friends asked me to join them in next year's Mud Masters Obstacle Run. :confused:
    I'm not super fit, but I'm actually considering to do it - just for the fun of it, and to have another goal to work towards. So I'm posting this in case I actually decide to do it, so I don't back out of the commitment so easily. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Well done, Firi! I just hope you won't become a buff dude ;D Good luck with the run thingy!

18. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Thanks!
    I only recently found a shirt that says "Plot twist, I'm buff now" and I thought about how awesome it would be if I could wear it one day. :D Nah, my current goal is to be fit enough to survive that obstacle run in May, and by February I'd like to be able to run 5 km without stopping (or dying).:p

19. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I'm ok with you becoming buff, just maybe not a dude :D

20. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    When we got tested at school (every once in 4 years or something) the doctors Always told me that I was too thin. However, I Always considered myself a good eater. It's just that I don't really gain weight.

The constant worry of teachers and yes, even the principal made me feel kind of bad about myself. I started eating more and more to gain weight but ofc this wouldn't help:confused:
    I've learned to embrace it.