Thank a lot professor!

Discussion in 'The Scribe's House' started by Anduil, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I would like to thank again J.R.R.Tolkien for being what he was. A man with pure fantashy! I like a lot the books that wrote, the heroes that created, the places and the maps that draw in the paper. And of course i like a lot all the meanings of his books! I appreciate all his life, cause he lived in one of the most difficults centures of mankind and he makes me remember all the time that even in dark hours like today all young writers can shine with their works and get out of this darkness and give smiles to the readers! It doesn't matter if you get famous or popular all that matters is that you walk in light and make people forget for a while the difficulty of our times. You give them relaxation with a good book in their hand. And some precious words and meanings that gonna make them laugh, smile, cry and feel in general!

Thank you also mister Tolkien for all the good that you offer in the next fantashy writers! When you see people that took elves and dwarves, men and gnomes and put them in their stories its really good! Cause more fantashy is unleashed in a reality that needs fantashy to be more human!

Long live the Fantashy, without it we are not funny!

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    The problem is, Tolkien's influence on literature was/is not entirely favourable. It is absolutely true that he established a whole new and wonderful genre, the problem however is that after Tolkien the world of literature was flooded with authors who merely copied his concepts. Of course there are countless gifted authors who have come up with new ideas and created new worlds, therefore adding precious works to this genre, but how many people are there who've been inspired by Tolkien's works, decided to continue his legacy and after all just published trash that is absolutely insignificant for the genre.
    Tolkien certainly did not intend all this, so don't get me wrong. I don't want to blame him or anyone, but we have to keep in mind there are always two sides to every coin.
    After all, I have spent more time desperately trying to find good fantasy books than actually reading and enjoying them. ;)

Could you explain that? I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    To be fair Tolkien didn't create much that was not already there before his time. Much of the lore of Middle Earth was already well founded in Western mythology - all he did was give it a massive reboost into modern light. So for those writing in the west (for which us living here there is a distinct bias toward certain elements being published over others) we do get a lot of similar works because its all rooted in a similar basis.

Plus its inspired multiple generations - possibly far beyond his own expectations.

I think there is a growing trend that people want alternative fantasy - the problem is both convincing good authors that its worth their time to write for it and also publishers that its worth publishing to the market. I'd love to see more that go as far as Earthsea to be totally rooted and based in a totally "alien" culture to that of the western world.

As for good vs average vs bad - eh any generation will have that - more so now than ever since publishing is soooo soooo easy compared to in the past (heck reading and lettering alone is much easier than in the past)

4. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Indeed most ideas where existing before him, but what i really love in him is the way he put it all of them together and boosted them!

Also i agree with Firiath that many tried to copy him or take advantage of his work, and this was bad. But if you really think it this makes him adorable to other writters and unique!