TFF needs YOU! *Points finger*

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Crusader, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well it needs work.

But that japan thing works with their military restrictions counterbalancing the US's, also japan is mkore likely to be a technological giant than china, as china is more of a production centre than a development one.

2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    They never thought Germany would set off another World War after the first....

So yea, Japan is more likely to go against the USA than China. Same reasons as Cru gave above.

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    No, they're not. Trust me on that at least. My dad would know, given that he's actually working with Japan at the moment.

If Japan goes against the USA, they're screwed both economically and militarily (if the last is even a word.) As they're prohibited from creating offensive weapons, and their defensive system really, really sucks, the USA is currently working with Japan's government to develop better ballistic missiles just in case Korea does attack us. Japan's economy also relies quite a bit on the USA.

So maybe it wouldn't be China. Maybe it'd be the Middle East. But it definitely wouldn't be Japan - not unless they could find another country that would support them both in their economy and military.

4. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    *cough*Germans*cough*

5. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Korea is out of the picture in this scenario, The USA have already gone to war with north korea, and its in the state iraq is now.

Also Im sure some people in japan hold resentment towards the US for the A bombings etc, just like germany disdained the after war treaties in WW1.

Also as i said, this isnt an open war, military force is not oimportant, its a cold war of espionage and theft. High tech gizmos are more important. America isnt willing for this secret war to reach the news so it wouldnt come out guns blazing because japan is against them, and neither would japan, as both sides have a lot to loose. Economically, remember this is the new era where technology production is the worlds greatest basis of the economy, Japan should at least, as one of the major players have a boosted economy from this.

6. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    This sounds really interesting, if you ever get it going, I might join :) Great ideas, would be fun to play.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Great, more interest is of course welcome.

The first post needs some work on it etc, hopefully ill get something done soonish, but something has inspired me to make an orlan post this week, so priorities first!

8. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    :D lol

I look forward to your Orlan post!

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Tech production - yeah, Japan's into all that. However, they don't use computers all that often. While Japan's a possibility, I'm just saying that it'd be more likely for Japan to find another powerful country to attach themselves to and play the role they play for America.

Even if Korea is out of the picture, Japan is unlikely to do anything that goes against US policy. The government will see to that. And from what I read in the Japanese newspapers, the next candidate for Prime Minister is hardly about (EDIT:) to against Japan either. (Sorry, posted before I finished that sentence.)

To your second point - yes, we are resentful of the USA. I'm slightly resentful of it too, for all that I live in the USA and am an American citizen. This does not exclude common sense. Japan’s fortunes are tied with the USA. Their Constitution and peace treaties were essentially dictated by the USA. Japan will not go openly or indirectly against America, especially this generation of politicians. There is very little actual anti-American sentiment, even though there is the usual Asian superiority complex (meaning products), which I admittedly share in. (Drive an American car, then drive a Japanese one, and you’ll see what I mean. :p) Before you say that younger people might have more anti-American sentiment, it is very unlikely that such a person would be elected to prime minister. The PM is elected by the Japanese version of Parliament, and the members of that body are elected by the people. Japanese culture is such that they revere age very strongly; young people have small chance of climbing to a position of power until they are older.

And again, most people in Japan wouldn’t want to oppose the USA. It wouldn’t be good for their economy at all.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Well remember this isnt open conflict, its not decided by the parliament or the main government, but the miltary espionage side of things, cloak and dagger, the people who take the risks.

Also for the sake of simplicity lets say that Japan is in league with China, which is now a first world superpower. Theyve got another side backing them of substancial power, combine that with the inflated corporate backing and they dont need the US.

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    All right, that's more possible. I was objecting more to the proposition that Japan would be the superpower.

And as for taking risks, the main gov't not being involved... They wouldn't do it unless the gov't was involved. It has to do with Japanese culture.

12. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Well why done you work on that, since you seem to be the japanese expert.

Remember its a cold war, so its espionage only really.

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Eh, I'll ask my parents a bit more. Interesting topic for dinner, but last time, they both agreed that Japan wouldn't go against USA as matters stand now. I'll try to come up with something. And I'll ask my brother too - he's likelier to know of the shadier bits.

More like the only Japanese person on TFF. :p

14. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It's not Impossible. Unlikely, but not impossible. The development of technology that may not be shared, can give a country a huge advantage (A-bomb in WWII case). Japan does seem to be in the lead with technology, so yea, it's not impossible, just improbable :p

15. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yes, impossible. :p Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. :p And of course, the other Asian countries would protest if Japan did become a superpower (would remind too many people of pre WWI.)

16. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Impossible?

No such thing when it comes to man's greed.

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    but isnt that evidence that it would be more likely, pre ww1 japan was very ambitious, could it not just be a case of repressed tendencies resurfacing?

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Other countries wouldn't permit it. I dunno if you've heard the news (I read it off my mom's Japanese newspaper) but China and Korea, as well as other Asian countries invaded by Japan, are demanding that Prime Minister Koizumi Junichiro doesn't visit the Yasukuni Jinja (Shrine) because they claim that they commemorate war criminals there. Yasukuni Shrine is a war shrine, but I'd hardly say that all it commemorates are war criminals. Many people honored there were only doing the best to serve their country, but since Japan lost, they're painted as evil people. Anyway, most of Asia is sort of in an anti-Japanese mood at the moment. I'd think that they'd rise up against Japan if Japan tried to reinstate itself as a superpower (even as a tech one), and like I said, Japan's prohobited from offensive weaponry, so they wouldn't dare raise even the possibility of starting a war.

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yes but with china acting as a shaperone, taking japan with it into a combined eastern superpower, the chinese having japan developing tech would also encourage japan to take the reigns in the espionage cold war. not only because it would help remilitarise one of their allies but also japan would prove an good scapegoat for china, since they could land everything onto the anti-japanses sentiment and protect themselves if things go wrong.

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Didn't Germany also have a very similar retriction about their army size and what not? They managed to start WWII <_<