TFF needs YOU! *Points finger*

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Crusader, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    K, I decided to throw this in here since its a topic among the more active RPGers around here.

Now as you may have noticed most RPGs are suffering a poor fate, some have a nice start but eventually they slow and stagnate and die, we currently have about 15 RPGs and unless im mistaken NONE of them have ended, and the majority are inactive.

At the moment playing 'oblivion' and rereading a game of thrones has revitalised my interest in fantasy and a lot of people have commented on this problem so I've decided to take action.

So here we will discuss the problem and develop the solution. Ive put this into the theme suggestion because i think for most of the RPGs currently active we wont get going again, the first 6 will probably never see another post. number 9 has had the most action overall i think, with a lot of heavy posting, i thought that would be the end of the dry spell but no its slowed down too and i want it revitalised before its too late.

But the main goal of this is to maybe start a new RPG with these ideas in mind first so it will be active from the start and begin the start of a new era of less problems.

Now the main issue i think is apathy. this is a forum and we cant expect posting every day nor should we expect constant posting as lapses can cause more problems. We have to deal with the fact that people cant make a post for maybe a week or more.

I think the cure is enthusiams and forward planning, thats why im trowing this out with no general idea of a plot because it will be more profitable if this is a collaborative effort and we can orchestrate much more of the mina plot to begin with so people wont get lost for ideas, and while we can still have our own side plots its important to remember if we want this to keep going then we have to interact and keep everyone in the join effort to keep going.

Also, i'd like to thank whoever will contribute to this discussion, i welcome all thoughts on the matter but please excuse me for my behaviour, ive decided we need to get a solution so im going to be dishing out a lot of constructive criticism, harsh constructive criticism as we need only the best to keep it going.

im also aware criticism can be harmful as it creates author conflict and alienation and thus makes people shy away but thats just the way i am.

Alright, so down to the supposed new rpg, now this is a collaboration so i wont suggest a huge plot but while im quite fond of plots going on during wars, i see epic battles as dangerous as it reduced single character interactions which is the basis of RPGing with other people so i think if this rpg takes place in a war torn land it may be seperate from the mina struggle etc.

just one idea to throw out there.

So, we have points about how to keep RPGS alive and new approaches to be made, and ideas for a new RPG.

Discuss........

2. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Hey Crusader, I really don't have much input to give, but I am rooting for the RPGing to continue and thrive in this forum! I wish I could add more, however, I am not am RPGer, I do like reading them though! Hip hip hooray for the faithful! :)

3. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the support, which is exactly what we need.

4. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Just like the Fellowship..."You have my sword...You have my bow...You have my axe...," Crusader, you have my support and encouragement Dah-ling! ;)

5. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I know I haven't been posting much really, and I'd just like to say that I'm really sorry if I've caused any problems...a lot of stuff has been going on in my life lately and I've had to sort quite a few things now so I was a bit drained...but I am a RPer, too, and I've been always a little sad at the fact that not one RPG has managed to end so far. I'll put in more effort from now on, and yes, I'm behind you too, Crusader! I don't really have anything to offer for this idea offhand right now...but I'll come up with something, I promise.

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I could kiss you for this. :D

Anyway, yeah. I agree very strongly with this, since I'm pretty much the most active RPGer around here. I post my quota. :p Honestly, though, if you're going to enter a RPG and then you either a) have too much work or b) lose interest, have the courtesy to inform your fellow RPGers so we can either kill your char off or pick up the storyline. When we're waiting on people to post for months at a time, it gets a little irritating.

And for theme suggestions, if you have no intention of entering a RPG, don't say you will. I started up a theme suggestion for a Westeros-based RPG a while back. I had no less than 10 people say that they were interested. None of them (except for Ilaelin) showed up, and the only other person who entered the RPG hadn't even indicated his interest in it.

Rant over for now, will probably post more later. :p

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    dotn worry, this isnt anyones fault for posting laxes, one person is one thing but the problem arises when the trend continues, its the collaborative effort, the spirit of everyone working with a purpose which im trying to muster here, which i think is the very difference between failure and success, and untill this date theres been no huge collaboration, tweve had mild collaboration based on enthusiamsm but this can die. This thread is here to solve this.

And no kisses neccesary LDH, i know a lot of people were thinking this, I just decided we needed to get it out iin the open and solve it, as the lax in activity in RPGs just means a lax in action. NO MORE! lets get this figured out!

8. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I only said "could," not "would." :rolleyes: RMEPer. :p

9. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    :( And here I had this great idea for another epic RPG... :(

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    bah, sick of epicness to be honest, got whole armies going on in 9 and 14 (but they seem to be forgotten in 9 between all the droppying by to say hello to nemeses) sure there can be armies in the thing and a battle or two wont go amiss but i think individual interaction and even individual combat is more interesting and more likely to promote enthusiasm than major epic battles. It is a war going on after all, i just had the idea, in a sort of orwellian way that the constant fueding and war between two or more kingdoms has been going on so long that the people themselves are rising up in rebellion unilaterally regardless of the sides int he war. Of course it could just be a ploy by a third side or whatever but its just a thought i had.

also i was doodling, and i thought up a cool idea for a race, kinda like elves/humans but they look like decaying corpses.

11. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I always feel really terrible when I can't post, but I'm ALWAYS busy. I try to tell you guys that though. I at least poke in once in a while, some people seem to just. . .forget. I wish there was some way to be involved with an RP without really having to post in it, I'm not the best writer.

Interesting thought, Cru. Neat ideas

12. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Blizzard's already done the Undead race. :p

Lol, whatever though, when I was creating the world scene, I thought I'd have as much or more fun writing a novel in it, so that's what I'm doing right now. :p So no epic RPGs.

13. Dead Dutchman

Dead Dutchman Regressive

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I know i mostly focus in the Fan Fiction section, but enjoy reading the rpg's I'd hate to see them die, youve got my support.

14. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It annoyes me also when I find a nice place in where I can take part in RPG, there are people who just vanish and don't mind to say it to others! I'm not pointing anyone here right now, for if someone has been away, that one has informed us others BEFORE leaving or has had a GOOD explanation for his/her absence.

But it's fustrating, 'cause I'm quite quick (if not so good though ;D) writer, so I can write almost everyday, when it takes weeks before ANYONE posts anything. And if you have posted last time, you can't post again and again, hu? It's kinda boring to play alone anyway...

If someone comes up with a good RPG idea, please inform me. I might take part in it, most likely will take part in it, and since I have pretty good imagenation, I can add my ideas to it as well.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Undead's been done a thousand places before blizzard, i didnt say undead,i said they LOOKED like corpses, theyre not dead though. Emaciated looking with dry grey/brown skin tight over their bones, sharp teeth and fingernails but otherwise humainoid. because of their tight skin features like noses and ears and almost gone. with brittle silverish hair and milky white eyes (as if blind, but not). kinda like that but theyre not dead, just look it.

I was toyign witht he idea that theyre some kind of elf like species but each action they take in life effects them physically, thus those who become corrupt/murderous and evil waste away into this form looking like some twisted undead creature. Of course that also neccesitates another level of those that were always 'good' but i cant be bothered thinkkning them up now.

16. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    kinda reminds me of the monster you can become in The Suffering: Ties that Bind from Midway, the evil monster is twisted and gnarly looking but the good monster is muscley and glows

anyway I've noticed this problem too, not just here, but on almost every RPG forum I ever go too. In fact I've only ever seen two RPGs end and I was in charge of both of them and wanted to get them done, although I've been in some that had several possible ending points but the dm insisted on going on.

anyway I like the idea of a wartime setting that's not all about battles, though I'm kind of out of set up ideas right now. either way I support you Cru

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    interesting, well it was just one of those random ideas i was having while i was doodling, i wanted to draw a monster in armour and it ended up like i said, sort of like a zombie but i decided it would make a cood race thing if i put it somewhere. I might scan in some of the doodles i did for reference.

anyway at least everyone seems to be supportive for the idea to keep the RPGs going, thats the most important think i think, support, because when we get down to it, if people apply this to the RPGs we should hopefully get it going moreso than before.

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... honestly, only me and you actually churn out posts regularly (at least that I know of). :p

19. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Everyone seems to show support because the intention itself is good, though (sorry if anyone gets offended at me pointing it out) not many people actually get down to putting much effort in. I know that the RPG section is a fun place for everyone to get their creative juices flowing and experiment with new ideas, but if we want to start up a serious RPG, keep it going and then end it, we need people who're trustworthy, people who've been with TFF for some time and shown that they log on regularly. I don't think it's very wise if we go around accepting newbies...unless they RP regularly at other forums and are new to this one.

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yeah... and the thing I'd hate about getting together with everyone and deciding on a set plotline is that it allows for less creativity. =/