Terror in the Skies, Again?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Arwen, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
  2. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I've read it. Yeah, it was kind of scary, and yeah I would be just a wee bit freaked out if this happened to me, but I do think a little overreaction was involved. Several organizations were involved in the investigation, and nothing came up. If it were actually some sort of terrorist thing, there would have been some big to-do and it would have been in all of the papers. Nothing came of it, and I think the woman should have left it at that. the second half of the article just makes her come across as a paraniod, fear-mongering something or other.

As a side note, I highly distrust anything that cites Ann Coulter as a "reliable" reference.

3. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I heard about that yesterday but thanks for the link it is much more detailed.

I think it is clear that political correctness and the fear of a decline in tourism are leaving the door open for another terrorist act. The fact that the 2 arab rule exists is proof. Certainly other people can be terrorists, but any limitation of that type, limits our ability to identify and stop the action. Of course illegal immigration is just as big a problem if not more so. Nobody is trying to solve that either.

Coulter may be partisan but she is a respected columnist and writer. All she was quoted for was that the government fines against perceived discrimination practices.

4. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Here's a followup article:

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=716

here's a quote from it that I think is really frightening:

"According to Mark Bogosian, B-757/767 pilot for American Airlines, "The incident you wrote about, and incidents like it, occur more than you like to think. It is a 'dirty little secret' that all of us, as crew members, have known about for quite some time."

Now what is wrong with this picture? Are we going to let this happen again??

5. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think the an important thing to notice is that the passengers were very aware of what was going on. It is the passengers that stopped the last flight over pennsylvania and who tackled the shoe bomber before the terrorists were able to complete their plots. It will be the citizens who are able to affect the situations. Government is inept.

Oh and since the screeners are government employees they cannot be fired for ineptitude. Some of the airlines have tried to hire better professional screeners and that is illegal too. One good thing is that pilots can be armed now so hopefully they were carrying "heat" and were prepared to stop an intrusion.

6. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

To avoid panick, the US government might not release news of events that they feel are uninportant for citizens to know. There is already a lot of panick about terrorism, there is no need to generate more. The US is probably doing what they can to avoid issues such as these.

As for the Syrian men, I think that they were probably terrorists. Althought this seems un-likey since nothing was found.

basicly, this quote proves my point.

"According to Mark Bogosian, B-757/767 pilot for American Airlines, "The incident you wrote about, and incidents like it, occur more than you like to think. It is a 'dirty little secret' that all of us, as crew members, have known about for quite some time."

7. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Once again political correctness strangles common sense. It would seem that we are most likely doomed to another bad sequel, only this time it is the sequel to one of the worst events in recent history rather than just another bad movie.

It's been stated that airline pilots are now armed and that there were air marshalls on board the plane. Even so they may not have been able to stop the "musicians" from bringing down the plane if they had tried. It's one thing to overpower someone who is trying to gain control of the cockpit but quite another if the lowlife steps into the bathroom and sets off a bomb that blows a good size hole in the side of the plane. Who's going to see him preparing to detonate a bomb if he's in the bathroom?

Like so many have already said, it's time we woke up! If we as a society continue to put political correctness ahead of reasonable security measures it's going to be our own foolishness that facilitates the next attack.

The activites of the "musicians", as described, were extremely suspicious and obviously coordinated amongst the group. The reporting of this incident was not paranoid or fear-mongering, it was a very intelligent "heads up".

Now the question is, are we going to listen?