Tales of TFF

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by I. R. Shogun, May 22, 2007.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Defense Force Meets Sempai High: General Savage vs. the heroes

As Savage tossed Jeze through the air Firiath and Cyllieth bother struggled to catch her. Savage let out that sinister laughter of his and power slid toward them, only to realize that after making sure Jeze was alright Firiath and Cyllieth were rearing to get their hands on him. Cyllieth grabbed Savage and in one brutal and swift motion she sent him into the air, then placed a small stuffed animal on the ground just as Firiath grabbed him and slammed him onto the animal. The resulting explosion rattled Savage, but he was far from finished.

As soon as Firiath released him Lillith's whip wrapped around his neck and she flung him into the air, where in the blink of an eye Via and Lil both took off after him and unleashed a powerful flurry of blows. Savage hit the ground with a solid thud, but quickly rose again. Before either tag team could capitalize he fired at them all with his shoulder mounted machine guns, then power slid over to Via and grabbed the back of her head.

Before Via could struggle she found his knee buried in her face. Lillith tried to free her friend, but Via was thrown at her with all the power Savage could muster. Savage slid after the two and as they rose he grabbed them by the arms, slammed them together and tossed them to either side. Before he could continue to punish them he found Cyllieth's Rocket Fist made it's mark against his jaw. Savage was stunned, and was thus easily hit by a blast of Firi Fire Breath.

Savage slid away and fired another blast from his machine guns to keep them back. His hands closed around the first object they came to, a massive metal pipe, primitive, but it would do. He dove forth and swung the weapon at Firiath, the TFFer ducked and attempted a Firi Flurry, unfortunately this was met by a powerful kick to her chest which sent her back several feet. Before the Shrew could capitalize Via was up and sent him into the air with a powerful throw.

Savage landed on his feet and slid forth to grab Via, then Firiath as well. Before they could realize what Savage was doing he dragged them over to Cyllieth and slammed each of them against her. The three women cried out in pain as he pressed them together, then flung them over his head, slamming them all head first into the ground. Savage rose again and let out another laugh, the TFFers and Sempai warriors were dropping like flies, none of them could stand before him! And now only one remained, the Sempai High Lillith Forbid.

But when he turned he didn't see Lillith as she'd been seconds before, she stood with he hair over her face, but he could still see her eyes. They now glowed a terrifying shade of red. The air around her crackled with electricity as a low growl exited her throat. Savage knew exactly what was happening, and he regretted not grabbing her instead of Via or Firiath. Lillith had gone berserk, and he was in for the fight of his life.

But what occurred next wasn't a fight, Lillith now moved at speeds Savage couldn't begin to follow, even with his advanced armor. The impact of her fists and feet thundered through his armor and tore through his soft innards. She savagely beat him within an inch of his life even before she began to tear his armor off and beat him with the chunks. "Now now dearest, it seems you've forgotten the safe word! You know how dangerous that can be!" she shouted just loud enough that he could hear her over his screams.

Savage tried in vain to defend himself, but failed miserably as Lillith pulled him from his suit and threw him into the air, following up with a lethal energy blast that consumed him, leaving no remains. Lillith didn't move for several seconds as her rage subsided, she then remembered the others, whose pain had sent her over the edge in the first place. She ran to where they lay and checked their vitals. They were all still alive, but they were fading.

Lillith tried her best to revive them, but there wasn't much she could do. Things didn't look good, she'd won the battle but it seemed she was losing the war. She held Via and began to weep, "I'm sorry baby, I'm sorry I couldn't stop him sooner. Please don't die Via, don't leave me all alone, please..." Suddenly there was another presence in the room, a familiar one, a friendly one.

Honorable Principal Skyanide Sama kneeled next to Lillith and touched Via at several points, then suddenly she gasped and her pulse and breathing returned to normal. Sky did this to the others then opened the stasis chambers that held their captured friends. He then turned to Lillith and smiled, "Well Miss Forbid, what are you waiting for, help me get them all rounded up so we can go home."

2. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Not Really a Scene at All!: The Chi Force, SX, and the Spirit of the Thing Itself

There are many forces in the universe that command the destiny of men. Fate, religion, pride, circumstance, and many others. But it is the unique experience of a select few to be guided by the power of the Chi Force. Those people guided by this force are the warriors, wizards, and monks who use it for various works both good and evil. Their powers are made possible by their connection to this awesome force. But there is more to the Chi Force than simple lights and magic.

The Chi Force is the force that unites all life, and yet it is still more than that, it is life itself. All people and creatures have a connection to the Chi Force, but it is those that are specially attuned to it that are able to manifest it in the awesome powers seen among the heroes and villains of TFF. Just as some lives are evil and corrupted so can the chi force be altered and used for good or for harm. The Chi Force is an awesome force that is often capable of equaling or even surpassing the various technologies of the universe.

This power has even been amplified in some cases, both through technology and through intense study, or in some strange cases through different means altogether, such is the case with the numerous TFF Title Belts. What defies all possible reason about the Chi Force is when it manifests a life of it's own. When this happens the results have been both glorious, and catastrophic. This type of event is at least partially responsible for the overwhelming power found in the numerous SX class warriors, but it has also been seen in it's most terrible form in cases such as the birth of the /Umsmebr\.

However the Chi Force is not the only factor that is responsible for SX level warriors. For the fighters that achieve this level of power there is often a very spiritual element involved, or something very sinister. In the case of Warlock Lord it is from his being a direct descendant from the Gods of Mount Olympus, but this is one of the most simplistic origins of this power level in a warrior.

In the case of I. R. Shogun for instance, the blood that flows through the veins of every member of his family is partially intertwined with that of a bear that had been possessed by the devil himself. Shortly before happening upon Shogun's ancestors this bear had narrowly defeated a mighty champion in battle, and was only finished off by the hand of God. These are only two examples of the type of mystical origins behind the warriors that possess this level of power, but sometimes this power can only be reached when multiple warriors function as one, such is the case with Firiath and Cyllieth.

Through the ages many great heroes have possessed this type of power. But in the eyes of the fates often they fall victim to pride in one form or another, and many times they are even beaten by warriors of lower power levels who have mastered what is known as "The Spirit of the Thing Itself." These heroes and villains have dedicated themselves entirely to the mastery of themselves and their control of the Chi Force. And often times if an SX class entity has not also been sure to master the Spirit of the Thing Itself he or she will fall victim to warriors of numerous power levels who have.

These are just a few of the things required to become a great champion and hero, or villain. It is these things among others that the heroes of TFF strive for mastery of. Through their trials they will forge their skills and master themselves, for as time progresses they will surely find their need for total mastery, as one of their enemies already has reached such an apex...

3. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Scenes Examined Milestone Series: A Forgotten Battle, I. R. Shogun vs. Omega Cage

Shogun staggered back after Cage landed another devastating shot to his jaw. He shook off the pain as well as he could, but it did little good. Shogun raised his hands to try and defend himself, his arms felt like they were made of lead. He could feel the blood dry on his brow, this guy was unreal. Shogun sent out several Shogun Shots, but Cage easily dodged past them and connected once again with Shogun's chin. Shogun staggered back, why couldn't he just be knocked out, he couldn't win, for God's sake he couldn't even focus his chi anymore!

He just didn't get it. What was it about Cage that made him so powerful? His form wasn't especially good, and he was a skinny guy, but for some reason he was beating Shogun more severely than he'd ever been beaten before. With each blow he landed Shogun felt the strength leaving his body. His vision blurred, he felt Cage land more shots, but he didn't care anymore, they stopped hurting, or at least he thought they did, he didn't know, it didn't matter anymore.

He wanted it to be over, he wanted to be able to rest again. Everything in him had given up, he wanted to quit, but something was stopping him from surrendering. His pride had been shattered a long time ago in this battle, he didn't understand why his body still wouldn't let him give up. His vision somehow blurred more, eventually everything went black. For a second he believed that he was dead, but his body still felt warm, his chest still rose and fell as if he was breathing, he supposed it wasn't over yet.

Shogun found himself floating in a terrible void. It was cold and silent. The louder he tried to call out the more silent it seemed things were. He was alone, or at least it seemed that way. His entire body was numb, he knew now that he'd failed, Cage had won, he was the new leader of the TFF Defense Force, but that wasn't why he'd wanted to fight Shogun. Shogun had let everyone down, Omega Cage didn't care about TFF, he'd leave not long after Shogun was permanently disabled, the only reason he'd come here was to destroy another fighter who could stand against him, and he'd succeeded.

Shogun was glad he was alone now, it meant he didn't have to face the others. As he sat there in the darkness his pride melted, sure the loss was humiliating, but he didn't care about that now, all he could think about was the others. They were all strong, but he still felt in his heart that they needed him, not only that, he needed them. They were more than just his fellow defenders, they were his friends, his reason for staying here in TFF, his reason to keep fighting.

Ender had left TFF to continue to find new challengers to battle, for Ender the fight was everything, for a long time the same was true for Shogun. However something had changed during their time here. He'd bonded with the other fighters in TFF, he knew that in time more threats would come to this place, and it seemed wrong to him that these people would have to fight on their own, he couldn't stand the thought of such great fighters, such great people, dying because they weren't strong enough. And so he'd stayed. Now for the first time ever he wondered if he'd made the right choice....

"Don't be stupid, of coarse you made the right choice Fearless Leader, after all, you know your life wouldn't be nearly as fun without us," said a voice Shogun knew all too well. He turned and faced Via Amarath. As he looked at her he was ashamed, he knew she was right.

"But it's more than just that, this place just wouldn't be the same without you. You may be the leader Shogun, but you're also like a little brother, someone we all love and can't live without," this voice belonged to Lillith, who also appeared in front of him.

"It's true master Shogun. When I first came you opposed me whole heartedly, but in time you came to respect me, and you showed me that you are truly a man of honor, one I cannot help but admire. I am proud to have fought at your side all this time, but when you think such nonsense about yourself, it is hard to stomach," Shogun turned now to face Rosgwak.

"Shogun, I know it looks bad, but you can't give up. You're too bull headed for that, plus, I doubt you of all people even know how to quit," Shogun turned only slightly to face Dragon Queen, but her words made him hang his head. They were all right, the voices of many other TFFers came to him, far too many to recall in such a short amount of time, but their message was all the same. The people of TFF wouldn't let Shogun quit, just as he wouldn't let them quit in this situation.

As the world returned Shogun realized only a second had passed. His body still ached, but somehow he felt great. Cage was charging forth, but as he did Shogun felt something return that hadn't been there for some time in this fight. His body crackled with energy, energy that seemed drawn to his palms. Shogun found himself unconscious again as his hands flew forth and he sent out a massive Supreme-Shogun-Mega-Blast. He didn't see if the attack succeeded, his vision went white, when the attack ended he began to fall.

In a second Shogun was caught by the Rosgwak. Via, Lillith, Dragon Queen and the other members of the Defense Force all rushed to his side, encircling him to defend him just in case Cage got back over. But as they looked over at Cage they saw he was also out cold, Shogun had done it, he'd won. He was still in bad shape, but now that the others could take care of him he'd be fine. There was only one thing left, this battle had been a loser leaves TFF match, there were only a few people who could make sure that stipulation stuck. In a moment one appeared.

His body was larger than any of the TFFers could even begin to compare with. His aura was cold and terrifying. In his right hand he held a tremendous hammer. He spun the weapon over his head and smashed it into Omega Cage, causing his body to disappear. As he lifted the Ban Hammer he looked to the Defenders, Shogun in particular. He studied the warrior, then turned and began to walk away.

"If something like this happens again I'll expect to be informed much sooner. The energy stealing techniques Cage was using are highly illegal in this type of match. Count it as a blessing that he's still alive, let alone victorious. Yes, I'd say miracle doesn't quite begin to describe the odds of things happening this way," Skyanide said just before taking off. The others spent a moment in silence as his words sunk in, how could Shogun have won against an energy vampire? They would have to let that question remain for now, Shogun would be out for at least a day. Besides, they were just happy he was still with them...

4. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As a result of me not feeling like digging up the scenes thread whenever I decide to update it, I'm merging all the stories in the fan fiction thread, and all future scenes examined stories will be posted in the fan fiction and regular Tales threads

Tales of TFF Scenes examined, I. R. Shogun vs. Meteorain:

Meteorain entered the city of Spamopolis unsure of what he would find. He knew the name of the warrior he was seeking, and little more. Still, thinking back to his fight against Ender-X this fight would be worth coming to this city. Against Ender he'd finally found a warrior that he could go all out against, a warrior that truly pushed him to a level he hadn't gotten to in ages. The prospect of this I. R. Shogun being as powerful as that meant he was certainly a fighter Met was interested in challenging.

It didn't take long for Meteorain to find the warrior he sought, posters of I. R. Shogun were hanging all over the city, it seemed today he was holding an open challenge to all fighters in the city. Met smirked, just what he needed, he'd get there and find this great fighter already warmed up. He arrived to find Shogun had already torn through dozens of challengers, and he hadn't even started using both of his arms yet. Met grinned and jumped into the ring.

Met was presented with a mic, expected to just give his name, style, and where he was from, he'd give them a lot more than that. "My name is Meteorain, expert in the Wrath of Heaven style, I hail from all over this place, and today I. R. Shogun, I'm challenging you for honor, for glory, and for your shot at the world title!"

The crowd was stunned at this challenge, Shogun only smirked, "Well Meteorain from all over, if you can beat me you certainly deserve a shot at the title. Let's see what you've got."

The bell rang and the two circled, quickly they got into and arm and elbow tie up, both fighters struggled but eventually they had to break, neither being able to force the other back. Not wasting any time Met swung a powerful kick aimed at Shogun's head. Shogun ducked under the attack and swept Met's legs, only for the challenger to swing his hands down and easily catch himself.

The two smirked and squared off again, then suddenly both fired off their respective energy blasts, then vanished. The crowd looked around and saw the two trading blows high above the ring, both of them had jumped for an aerial assault, only to find the other had followed them. The clash in the air made the loud boom of a thunderclap as the two focused their attacks on knocking each other down before they were both forced to land. This failed as both landed at the same time and continued their fighting.

For every Super Shogun Kick there was a Metsoawesome Punch, for every Shogun Shot there was a Met Meteor, and after several hours of non stop fighting the two of them knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that they were perfectly even as far as skill went. Still they weren't going to let something as simple as that stop them from finding out who had that little something extra that would push them over as the winner.

And so they continued to fight, hours passed, and there was no clear winner in sight, every blow was met by another strike of equal power as they continued to deliver the punishment and battle each other back and forth, neither of them ever seeming to be able to gain the upper hand for more than a moment. Still on they fought, the sky was lit up with the blasts they sent back and forth as they tried to knock one another down, only to find that their skills always seemed to be canceled with ease by the other.

Finally, after two and a half days of fighting, the two decided it was time to finish this fight. To do this they were going to have to invest all of their energy into a single attack and fling it at one another. Their fists lit up as each of them selected their most powerful attacks, for Shogun it was the Atomic Dynasty Fist, for Meteorain, it would be the Fist of the Meteor. The attacks reached their apex in power at the same instant and both warriors sprung forth to attack. All those who were in attendance were blinded by the brilliant flash of light, but when the smoke finally cleared they saw not one victorious warrior, but two fighters, each unscathed.

The attacks had canceled each other out completely! The two of them truly were totally even as far as skills and abilities. Meteorain was outraged by the fact that he had only now heard of Shogun, and he turned to face the warrior. "I. R. Shogun, I came here because Ender X told me you were as strong as he is. I have seen now that it's true, but then why is it that you waste your time here with weaklings like those that challenged you before I arrived today?"

Shogun slowly turned and looked back at Met, "Waste my time? Meteorain, I don't waste anything here. You've seen the average level warrior here, but you haven't seen the TFF Defense Force. They are all skilled fighters, but there are threats to this place that are far stronger than any one person could hope to defeat. The people here are my friends, and I will gladly place my life on the line to defend and fight along side them. For Ender all that matters is the fight and becoming better, but that is not my way. I fight to defend those I hold to dear, and that is why I chose to stay instead of going to find strong opponents with Ender."

Met considered this for a moment, fighting for someone other than himself wasn't interesting, but Shogun mentioned strong threats to this place. That would be a way to hone his skills for sure! "So you say there are powerful fighters here that are threats eh?" he asked. Shogun nodded. "Well then, I don't suppose you'd have any problems if I wanted to sign up to join you guys, fighting powerful enemies is kind of my thing...."

Shogun smirked, "If you want to join you've proven you're more than qualified, we'll just have to see if the others will have any part of it...."

5. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Tales of TFF Origins Series: Heroes Are Made

It has long been debated how well a human endowed with robot abilities would perform in the world of crime fighting. Which would win out, robotic hard lined programming, or human free will? Years ago top scientists a TFF University decided they were going to find out. Gaining financial backing from Really Really Big Tech the university went about selecting the greatest robot candidate to be the father of a child for their experiment. They found it in Really Really Big Tech machine X93-1 mark3.

After a series of unspeakable tests and experiments the scientists finally managed to make the X93 a father. But even now that they had managed to perform this miraculous feat of science and perversion of nature their work was far from over. The embryo was constantly monitored as it grew inside of it's mother's womb. Rates of everything from heartbeat to gear rotations per minute were given special attention as the months passed before the child was born.

Finally the day came, and the birthing of this amazing affront to God was born. The result wasn't quite what the scientists were expecting, it was better. The child was born with metallic pincer hands, although somehow he was still able to type perfectly well with only a few spelling errors, most of his mistakes being grammatical. His eyes glowed red and allowed him to see in a variety of ways that allowed him to find his favorite toys, no matter where they chose to hide.

While these were his only visible robotic features, he had immense strength, stamina and speed. Also, even as an infant his mind was capable of processing information at the level of a mac, by his first month of age his thoughts were on the same level as a five year old human child, and this continued in some manner for his entire first year, by the end of which he had grown to the size of an average 13 year old human.

By the end of this first year his mind wasn't growing at the same extreme rate he'd started with, but it was growing at the same rate as a human teenager, which, while disappointing, still showed that he was able to improve quite effectively. It was by this point that the scientists decided this machine human hybrid needed a name. After the basics of things like Tim, Sean, Allen and Deathlock they finally came to the decision to name him after his project name, Robotically Amalgamated Youngster, or Ray.

At this point the testing began anew. Ray had proven himself to be a fairly stable being and his survival was no longer called into question, now they would see about his overall performance data. Ray was placed in a large open room where he was assaulted by wave after wave of various types of enemies. After running at optimum capacity for three days strait Ray found the attacks suddenly stopped. He ran a data check and found that he'd destroyed everything that the scientists could lay against him for the time being. This is when his father's programming style came into play.

Ray couldn't control himself, his father's data urged him to continue fighting, and if he couldn't fight where he was, he was to find something to fight, and destroy anything that got in his way. Ray broke loose from the compound where he was being raised and into the streets of Every Day Debating City. Chaos ensued as Ray attacked anything and everything that moved, ultimately it required a combined assault from Crusader and several of the mods to shut him down long enough to keep him away from the city.

Once Ray was back online he went on the assault again, attacking anything he found until he happened upon something he couldn't classify, an anthropomorphic squirrel. This sight stunned Ray for a moment as he tried to process the threat level of this apparent Warrior Squirrel. The squirrel, having seen what Ray had been doing bonked Ray hard on the head with a rock, causing slight damage to Ray's hard drive and his brain.

When Ray came to he felt different, after running a quick system check he found that his human emotion port was working for the first time since he'd come online a year and a half before, but his performance meters were at less than half capacity. He looked up to see the Warrior Squirrel sitting nearby. Seeing that he was awake the squirrel introduced himself as Warrior Squirrel 21. For several days the two spoke and soon became friends when WS informed Ray of his plans to go to Spamopolis and become a member of the TFF Defense Force, as well as introducing Ray to religion.

Ray decided he would join WS in his quest to be a hero, although he decided he needed a last name, why he didn't know. Warrior Squirrel thought on this for a moment, then considered what Ray had told him of his background. He'd been designed for military purposes, why not give him a rank as a name? They finally decided captain was the best fit name, and soon they were off to the city of Spamopolis.

6. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Tales of TFF Origins Series: Some Kinda Ninja?

It is common to think of invincible super warriors battling against armies of faceless enemies without taking any wounds when one thinks of a ninja. However this is actually quite far from the truth. Ninja operated surviving purely on their intelligence and the skills of their team mates, as well as their ability to hide. Contrary to popular belief ninja weren't solitary all killers, but functioned in specialized units, thus, they are specially able to work in teams for various purposes.

Long ago in the land of Warriorsland there was a young man named Huma Dragonlance. Huma was named after the legendary hero of the far off land of Krynn. Huma was skilled with a sword, though not to level of his namesake, and it was often said he would make a great knight one day, however, this was not the goal of Huma. While he was no slouch with a sword he greatly preferred the use of the dagger and his own fists.

As a result of this one day he left his homeland to seek a life as a fighter elsewhere. He knew his parents would be furious and come after him, he would need two things, a place to go, and a new name. He sat for several days, but was unable to think of anything, he decided he'd need to think of something later, he couldn't sit around and give those that were after him time to catch up.

After several weeks of traveling he found the place that he knew would have to be his new home, in the land of TFF there was a single shining city that surpassed all others. It was a city that seemed to draw the most varied peoples from all over the board, it was that shining metropolis known as, Spamopolis. Upon entering the city Huma was quickly mugged by a random gang of thugs, while he fought bravely his swordsmanship simply couldn't compete with their skills, be was beaten and robbed, left without a means to defend himself.

Despite this Huma wasn't going to leave just yet. He knew in his heart if he could make just one good friend in this city he'd be able to get back on his feet and form some sort of plan to defeat his pursuers from home who by now were hot on his trail. He seemed to be having little luck, he'd been in this city three days and all that had happened so far was him being robbed, perhaps he really couldn't escape his destiny as a knight?

Things were looking glum, until he happened upon one of Spamopolis' top personalities. She was a fairly shy young girl, but to her friends she was like a beloved sister, one that they would protect to the end. She wasn't much of a fighter, and yet she was as well known as the top warriors in the city, her name was Jnanee Highwind, and she was about to be robbed. As the same group of thugs that had attacked Huma earlier circled Jnanee like hungry wolves the young fighter stood between them and her, unarmed, but preferring to die fighting to letting these jerks rob someone else.

The thugs laughed and mocked Huma, then quickly attacked. Huma fought bravely, but unarmed and against the same thugs who'd beaten him down earlier things quickly began to look grim for him and Jnanee. As Huma fell to the ground in defeat it looked like he was finished this time for sure, but suddenly, in a flash the thugs laid beaten and battered on the ground, unable to even run from the pair that stood victorious over them.

They were a pair of young women, one of whom had a very large very visible aura, and the other had a mechanical hand. The two of them quickly checked Jnanee and Huma, they were alright, and hearing Jnanee's story the pair decided to introduce the young fighter to their leader, I. R. Shogun. They asked the young fighter what his name was, Huma knew he couldn't give his real name, that could only attract his pursuers. Thinking quickly he said the first thing that popped into his head, Kakashi, one of the coolest characters on a popular anime series, and someone he would proudly follow the fighting style of.

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    A Song of Liv and Met: The Fine Line of Love and Hate:

Met dove past several bookshelves as she hurled another titanic blast his way. How the hell was she this powerful?! It was like fighting Super Shrew with on hand and a leg tied behind his back! Met peered around the corner as the seconds passed and there was no follow up blast, he was safe. Met breathed a sigh of relief and stood up, then began to confidently walk out of the library, she must have used up all of her strength in that opening flurry. Silly girl, she should have known better than to face off with Met.

"Going somewhere?!" came a voice that shattered his resolve almost instantly.

Met turned into a devastating kick from Liv that sent him crashing through bookshelf after bookshelf until he came to a hard stop against the back wall of the building. Met had never been kicked that hard in all of his battles, this was seriously wrong. Met struggled to his feet until he felt unceasing and numerous blows bury themselves deep into his stomach. As he doubled over he saw that Liv had already caught up to him, and still had plenty of steam. She stopped suddenly and gripped him hard by the neck, lifting him against the wall and staring up at him with a malice that could melt through steel.

"Think you're really funny do ya? Well how funny is this!?" Liv growled as she buried another punishing blow into his abdomen.

"Jeez babe I've heard of liking it rough but this is just ridiculous," Met said with a smile that showed through despite his other worldly pain.

Liv shook with rage as she slammed Met hard into the ground, then delivered a hard kick to his stomach that sent him flying through the air, out a window, and into the street several blocks away from the library. Met hacked and wheezed as he slowly got to his feet, now it was finally over, he'd just stay out of the library and he'd never have to deal with that loony braud again. But as the saying goes, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and while that refers to a slightly different situation Liv was still hopping mad.

Met cringed slightly as the people all around quickly scattered, leaving the streets empty, something wanted a fight, and he was in no shape to beat the life out of someone. Still, he could use a good battle after the beating he'd just endured, so he turned, but to his surprise it wasn't some cosmic evil, nor a threat from the bowls of hell. This was a woman he'd seen just seconds before, and was it possible she was more angry now? Met groaned as he threw up his fists, but it did no good as Liv unleashed blast after blast, knocking him through several threads before spilling him out onto yet another street a good distance away.

"Lady I know I'm gorgeous, but I just can't return your feelings. It might be hard to keep your hands off of me, but you need to try," said Met against his better judgment as Liv landed next to him.

"No hands? Fine, here's some feet!" said Liv as she kicked Met again and again in the stomach and chest. Her shots still hurt, but not so much that Met couldn't get up now. Slowly the hits became less frenzied, and less frequent as Liv slowly lost the anger that had been fueling her for so long, and draining her energy all the while.

"I don't... love you... bastard," she said between gasps for air.

"Oh come on OTL, you can't take a little joke? How are you going to make it in Spamopolis if you can't take a little ribbing? It might be tough to accept but I'm pretty much glorious, you don't have to act on your desires, but it's best if you accept them now, everyone has them," said Met with a smile coming across his swollen face.

"Fine... whatever... I don't care..." said Liv still out of breath.

"That's the spirit, now come on, now more attacking me. I know it's tough to keep your hands off, but you'd just be robbing yourself of finding someone who can return your feelings," said Met with a wider, more painful smile.

"Whatever, so, I guess, friends?" Liv said as she stood, her breath finally returning to normal.

Met didn't get a chance to answer that question. His reply would have, most certainly, been his typical "no but I'll let you keep worshiping me." However he was beaten to the punch by the one person who'd been watching the battle, or beating as it were, from the start. A person who'd been getting a hardy laugh out of the whole ordeal, I. R. Shogun.

"WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! Way to break her heart Met!" yelled Shogun with a wild grin.

Met didn't get a chance to turn and see Shogun, because immediately after that Liv had dashed after him yelling a string of obscenities and a renewed sense of intense rage. Shogun, not wanting to be on the receiving end of a beat down like Met had just endure quickly turned and fled, his laughter being the only thing that could drown out the never ending string of threats and swears coming from Liv's mouth. Met watched the two as they quickly disappeared through the streets of the city, glad this whole affair was over so he could go home and try to sleep between bouts of soaking his entire body would stop the pain.

8. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The Fall:

How long had it been since he'd had to fight this hard? Certainly he'd fought stronger opponents, many in fact, but he couldn't remember the last time he'd felt this kind of pressure. Shogun's feet tore through the ground as the force of his foe's forced him back, he smirked as the figure that stood before him was illuminated by the lightning strike. They hadn't known much about him, but this stranger had demanded to fight the best, he'd walked through and nearly killed several of the others, something Shogun couldn't let stand.

All that they knew of him was that his name was Ka'al, and that he was the greatest warrior of his homeland. No one had been able to get a read on his power, but for the past two days, through storm and through sun they had fought without end. The battle had never slowed, the punches had never stopped flying, and Shogun was starting to feel the burn.

Ka'al was unlike the usual warriors that came to challenge the fighters of TFF. He was not a beast of a being, nor was he an unholy force. He was no larger than Shogun, but his hair was darker than Met's, and his body looked as if he'd been chiseled in stone. His hair was as blue as the clear sky, and he fought in nothing more than the long pants that he'd come to town in. Thus far he'd matched Shogun blow for blow, and neither of them seemed to have the upper hand.

Shogun dashed forward, pulling energy into his hands as he approached, Ka'al took a defensive stance as he braced for impact. As he reached his opponent Shogun flung his hands forward and fired off the Shogun shot, blasting Ka'al back. Shogun followed up with a Super Shogun Kick, but the attack found no mark, Ka'al easily evaded and closed the gap, then lifted Shogun into the air.

Shogun struggled but couldn't wiggle free from the almost magnetic seeming grip of his foe. Ka'al grunted as he pulled Shogun down and buried his knee in his opponent's chest. Shogun gasped for air at the unique special attack, but couldn't regain his breath in time to avoid being given a solid kick that sent him crashing into the nearby mountain.

Shogun pushed himself back to his feet, then quickly railed off numerous Shogun Shots, Ka'al fired off several blasts the two dashed forward and each drilled each other with blow after thunderous blow. For every punch one landed, the other returned one in kind. The more they pushed themselves the harder the rain seemed to fall. Still they pressed on, all of their stores of energy had since been emptied, they fought now purely on heart and pride.

The onlookers viewed the violence with a quiet awe. They'd seen battled before, they'd seen Shogun pushed to this limit countless times, but there was something different about this fight. Blood flowed in rivers from both warriors, the pace hadn't slowed despite both men lacking sustenance. There was something different about this battle, the difference in the reason for each man to continue, the perfectly even skills of the two warriors, the stakes of this battle, all of it had gone beyond anyone's expectations.

What had Shogun ever fought for but TFF? What was Shogun fighting for now but the honor and safety of his friends? This match had never been in any sort of ring, it was going to go until one man couldn't fight any longer, and it was starting to dawn on them all that this was exactly the type of battle Ka'al had desired from the start. They wondered if Shogun had known that, and if not, would it have stopped him if he had learned it?

Shogun's breathing became labored as he felt the final blow coming. He and his opponent poured everything that they had into their fists. Their strikes had slowed to a snail's pace, but they didn't fall with any less force, both fighter saw that now was the time to try for one final strike. Ka'al's eyes and palms began to glow as he stretched them forward, Shogun's fist burned red and then ignited as he forced everything he had left forward.

The two charged, the energy of their attacks burning brighter than even the lightning striking in the sky, roaring louder than the thunderclap that shook the earth. The two ran boldly forth as their strikes fell. Ka'al's hands grabbed onto the sides of Shogun's head as the Atomic Dynasty Fist found its mark in Ka'al's head. The ground rumbled as each attack's final effect burst forth from its user.

Almost instantly Ka'al fell back, as he did the rain stopped and the clouds parted, and Shogun fell to one knee. The others ran forward to congratulate their friend for his triumph, all hoping desperately that Shogun had indeed won. As they arrived Shogun looked at them with hollow eyes, then smiled briefly and flashed them a thumbs up before he collapsed to the ground.

They surrounded his body, implored it not to be true, but the truth became clear. Those who witnessed the battle would tell of the power of those final blows, that they could actually feel the shock waves. Others would remember the enormous devastation done to the outskirts of Spamopolis. But most would remember this sad day, as the day one of the proudest, most noble men they ever knew, finally fell. For those who loved him, one who would call him husband, some who would be his friends, or for those who had come to know him as their rival, this was the darkest day they could have imagined.

For their survival, and possibly the survival of all of Spamopolis one man had given his all and more. But it's too late. The tears will not wash away the blood. The cries will not stir him from his slumber. No grieving would make this event untrue. For this was the day, that a Shogun died.

9. r0144

r0144 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    your storylines are great, i loved the brother vs brother
    still reading your other post, very imaginative and well writen.

r0144

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 1: Reflections and Beginnings

Kakashi sat alone atop Waybig Mountain, reminiscing about the old days in the city of Spamopolis. He supposed they weren’t really ‘old days,’ but it seemed that way when he compared things then to things now. A few names, that’s all they had that linked them to how things had been before Shogun had died. It had been a year since then, and many of the warriors of Spamopolis had left the city shortly afterward. This hadn’t been so much because they couldn’t bear life without the headband hero, but more because the pulls of their lives simply took them away from not only Spamopolis, but also TFF as a whole. There was a whole big world out there, and it seemed like now that Shogun was gone there was no anchor to firmly hold everyone in place anymore.

The anniversary of his death had been a week ago, almost everyone from the old gang had managed to make it back for just one day to reflect on him, and to catch up on old times. As happy as everyone had been to see each other Kakashi had felt like the mood was still tainted with some feeling of remorse for the fallen champion that no one had been able to get over. Kakashi had trained under Shogun for the longest and most taxing months of his life, and as such he’d learned and adopted Shogun’s philosophy of “No regrets, no fears,” very firmly, but he guessed it was unfair of him to expect the same of the others. Through the years many people had come and gone, but it seemed like Shogun would always be there, no matter what troubles arose he’d always overcome, and then he’d died, fighting a man called Ka’al.

Kakashi didn’t like to think about that fight, but every day when he came to the top of this mountain he couldn’t help but recall what had occurred, and as he looked upon those lonely headstones and shrine next to them he couldn’t help but wonder how Shogun would feel about how much things had changed. They hadn’t seen many of the villains from when Shogun led the team since he died, Super Shrew had vanished, General Savage had recently died while still in a coma from the caper with their alternate universe counterparts, Mad Jake still attacked from time to time, but he’d never managed any schemes that achieved real success. Nowadays even the team was scarcely like the small army they’d had before.

Met was still around, in fact these days he was the leader of the Spamopolis Defense Force, but his methods were a far cry from what they were when Shogun had walked the earth. Met always seemed bored now, even though they’d faced some tough foes it had never seemed like Met was really there in spirit, like his will to be the very best had died with Shogun. Now that he was the top dog there was nothing else for him save the constancy of battle.

Wolf was now the second in command of the Defense Force, and her presence had been one of the most instrumental since Shogun’s death. Wolf had always been a top member of the team, but without that unending confidence Shogun inspired in everyone it had been her iron will alone that had carried them through battles with unwavering faith. She had also brought with her a full pack of wolves, some of which were now mainstays in the city and on the team. The most notable of these were called Running Wolf and Overread, although others like Blackness weren’t shabby either.

Among those who’d remained in Spamopolis were some important powerhouses, but their numbers were drastically cut. Firiath and Cyllieth were both still active members of the team, but both of them regularly made trips out of the city for various reasons. Sorillon had also remained, his spirit eternally tied to the Library, he’d become a corner stone of the defense force. Oddrun was as active and important as ever, her style was somewhat altered from what it used to be though. He himself was generally considered the first strike operative of the team, since his continued training kept him active through out the city at all times.

Unfortunately these were, for the most part, the only warriors who’d been able to remain constant in the city. Disco Jezebel had left the city very shortly after Shogun’s death to join Ellemorpheus and Dragon Queen elsewhere in the world. Ray Captain managed to stop in from time to time, but these visits were few and far between. Warlock Lord was little more than a memory these days, his work in Spamlantis now demanding his fullest attention while they dealt with several crises. Kenshin had returned to his homeland to aid his family in a fierce land war along with Blood Battosai, and Padme and Anakin had moved to another part of the country as a result of a major job opportunity there.

Of all of the things that had happened thus far the most notable were, of coarse, the marriage of Meteorain and Olivia the Lamb, and the return of Ender Zero to Spamopolis. Met and Liv had officially gotten married three days after Shogun had fallen, not wanting to break their promise to him that they’d just get it over with already. Liv had left the city shortly after that, but she still maintained some contact back with the city so that the TFFers knew what was happening with her. Ender Zero had reappeared a month and a day behind the death of Shogun, saying that his old oath brother had contacted him from beyond to ask him to come back and help defend the city now that he was gone. Ender was widely considered as strong as Met or Shogun, but there was something to that rivalry that made Ender unsuitable in Met’s eyes to serve as his rival.

Yes times had changed greatly since that day just over a year ago, but things had stayed alive without Shogun, something few thought would have been possible. The Pagoda sat empty now, alone upon a hill far from Spamopolis, its army of armor retainers constantly immobile, waiting for a rightful heir to the throne of Spamopolis, but none had arisen in all those days. Kakashi stood at the shrine now, still wondering how Shogun would feel about the new way of things, but as he paid his respects to Shogun and to Ka’al his mind drifted to other things. Today felt like it would be a busy day, and Shogun had taught him to always focus on the present on those types of days, or else all things could slip into the category of painful memories.

General Savage sat high atop his command stool in the massive, ill-lit chamber, his hands folded as he reflected the state of things. His last attempt against the TFFers had been gravely unsuccessful. He’d spent the last year and a half in a deep coma from the wounds he’d received there, and even the advantage of the Spamopolis Defense Force believing him dead now could not make up for all of that lost time. His armor fit a tad tighter now, somehow he’d managed to gain weight while in a coma it seemed, or perhaps his body had just become a tad less hardened with time, either one was unacceptable.

He looked over the ruined command center for Project Badass with his good eye, thoroughly disgusted in the neglect that it had been shown by Really Really Big Tech in his absence. He supposed that was unavoidable considering the general lack of a truly skilled leader among their number aside from him, but luckily for Savage there had still been some budget for the program due to his careful forethought before being beaten, as well as one or two interested members of the board of directors. On the brighter side, this was not the only piece of good news he’d received upon being reclaimed by his troops.

“Thrall, to me,” said Savage in that deep menacing voice of his.

In the darkness a pair of red lights appeared, followed by the red trim of the most stream lined Project Badass armor ever designed. The figure who wore the armor was, himself, extremely well conditioned physically. The armor merely served to enhance his already formidable fighting prowess, concentrating his massive chi flow into a more controlled and focused state. Savage himself, after having witnessed the style and methods of one Vic Valor, had actually made this design, although this suit would hardly come in handy for that particular individual.

Thrall had been a great surprise to Savage, but not nearly as great a surprise as learning that I. R. Shogun was no longer going to be a problem for his operations. Savage was somewhat disappointed with the fact that Shogun had died by the hand of this stranger called Ka’al, although this wasn’t going to stop him from taking full advantage. Savage needed only wait for the right moment to strike and utilize Thrall to achieve his final ends, to eliminate the Spamopolis Defense Force, establishing Project Badass, his private army, as the dominate defending army in the world, allowing him to achieve quite a healthy profit from bringing about a sort of “world peace,” with certain controls of coarse.

“Tell me again Jake, what are his projected figures?” asked Savage to the bent figure that sat at a desk nearby.

“Given his natural physical prowess, and the amount of focus and excess skills that are granted to him by both the armor and our reprogramming, Thrall should be capable of defeating the entire TFF Defense Force on his own without risk of his own life or stability as a subject,” said Mad Jake sleepily as he forced himself to remain conscious.

“Excellent,” said Savage. “I can see why the Corporation saw fit to acquire your services, although I must wonder, given your mental abilities and technological mastery, what is it that makes you such a joke as far as threats to the city go?”

“They always knew I was coming,” answered Jake. “And there’s only so much a man such as me can do. After all, I don’t have such amazing abilities as you General.”

Savage couldn’t help but chuckle at the response. The mind-bending serum had truly made the perfect puppet out of Mad Jake, and Thrall as well. The number of troops under his command was significantly less than it had been before his defeat those months ago, but if what Jake had said was accurate than he had no need to concern himself. Soon enough Spamopolis would be his, and the world would follow very shortly afterward…

11. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    A+ material that is.

12. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 2: Tourney Talk

Kakashi made his way down from the mountain as the sun moved its way to middle morning position. Spring had arrived only recently, and the sting of the winter cold could still be felt in the breeze. In spite of this Kakashi wore only his armored tank top and light trousers, keeping his armor limited in amounts unless a situation arose that absolutely demanded heavier gear to sacrifice mobility. Of all of the other TFFers Kakashi could only think of one other who was likely to be awake and highly active at this moment, the beastly form that was known as Herald of Woe, the man he was moving to see now.

Herald had arrived in Spamopolis on the stormiest day ever recorded. His timing was extremely lucky for the TFFers, who had been swamped with a trifecta of villains that were running them ragged with constant assaults. The villains had been proving especially effective during the absence of Met since the three of them were all on par or better than Wolf, and were typically managing to wound Firiath and Cyllieth enough to keep one or both off of the field at any given time. The villains hadn’t been expecting someone with as much raw power as Herald, and thus he’d been able to walk through all three of them with ease. Despite this Herald’s prowess was only ranked in the B range since he had little control when he used his more powerful attacks, making a skilled enough warrior able to easily overwhelm or shut him down.

That aside Met had never come to fully trust Herald. He said that there was something within him that didn’t feel right, a force that lurked beneath the surface. What’s more, almost as soon as he’d arrived Met said something else had stirred in Firiath that he hadn’t noticed before, but now he couldn’t shake the feeling of. Met was unfortunately unable to go into much detail over it with his limited skill in reading souls, and with Padme far from the city there would be no convenient way you interpret just what he was feeling.

Herald for one had never come to care about Met’s opinion of him, but the status of their relationship had kept him from becoming an official member of the Defense Force until recently. It really didn’t seem to matter to Herald though, he’d never adjusted his schedule any either way since arriving in the city, his focus had always been perfected his sheer physical might and skill. It was enough that Kakashi could hear the noise of the warrior’s glaive singing through the air from a great distance away. As he approached he noted with interest the way that Herald swung the weapon, throwing all of his weight into every blow, but still managing to maintain a quickness and agility that Kakashi had to admire.

“Kakashi? How are you this morning?” asked Herald suddenly, not breaking from his routine of strikes even as his long black hair came loose from the tight ponytail he’d pulled it into. Herald was a large figure, though not so big as Warlock Lord, but his physical build was otherwise unremarkable, save for his eyes, one of which was as blue as the sky, the other as black as night.

“I know I wasn’t being especially stealthy today, but how did you know I was coming?” asked Kakashi, who was almost certain Herald’s eyes hadn’t even been turned in his direction.

“There are very few silver haired warriors in Spamopolis, and even fewer that wear headbands, and only one that covers up his eye with one,” answered Herald as he slowed down his swings.

“Fair enough,” said Kakashi, “But you didn’t even look my way.”

“These eyes of mine are far stronger than even those of most elves, I saw you approaching once you stepped down from the mountain,” answered Herald who finally came to a stop.

“I see,” said Kakashi, slightly impressed with the power of Herald’s sight. “Well I suppose I should tell you why I came here then, are you going to enter the tournament?”

“That will depend on who is participating,” answered Herald as he took a drink from his well. “If the challengers are right then I’ll gladly throw my hat into the ring.”

“So the prize isn’t even a little bit enticing?” asked Kakashi.

“Not particularly,” answered Herald. “Titles and belts are nice, but they aren’t what I’m looking for right now.”

“Well, I’m going to be entering, and I assume the wolves will all be in it,” said Kakashi. “I can’t really speak for anyone else though, Met doesn’t seem very interested in tournaments since Shogun passed, and Firi and Cylli don’t do singles competition.”

“An interesting crowd, but I’m not sure if I’ll be participating,” replied Herald.

“I see… well what about,” Kakashi started, only to be cut off by another who arrived just then.

“Kakashi are you trying to make Herald enter the tournament still?” asked Oddrun as she appeared. Oddrun’s attire had changed the most drastically of anyone’s since Shogun’s death. She no longer wore the horned helmet of the Vikings, opting instead to keep a silver mask on top of her head, only pulling it down to step into battle. She had retired the Battle-Axe-Tar in favor of a simple gauntlet capable of projecting powerful sound waves, and withstanding extreme battles. She was no longer a colorless form, changing regularly from fully colored to black and white all the time. It was also some people’s opinion that she’d somehow become even wilder since then.

“Well yeah, it won’t be as much fun if we don’t have a full roster of top fighters,” said Kakashi, turning sharply and ducking to avoid a blow to the back of his head that never came.

“It may make things more exciting, but if he doesn’t want to fight then we can’t make him,” said Oddrun.

“I never said I didn’t want to fight, I just want to be certain that the fighting will be interesting,” said Herald.

“Well they’ll definitely be that,” said Kakashi. “Everyone I recognize who’s signed on so far is a really good fighter, and from what I hear Bucklingburger is pretty top notch too.”

“So you finally managed to get some information on him?” asked Odd.

“Yeah, apparently he comes from one of the forums Vic Valor used to fight in,” said Kakashi. “And Valor had a lot of things to say about his skills when I wrote him about it. Although he was a lot less flattering about his personality.”

“What makes you say that?” asked Herald.

“Well Vic said that he was heavily involved in the criminal underbelly of that place,” said Kakashi. “He said we should be on our highest guard in the tournament, since that undoubtedly has something to do with his entry.”

“Well it’s not like it’ll be the first time we’ve fought a shifty character,” said Odd.

“As long as he doesn’t turn out to be like the Matulas I’m personally not worried,” added Kakashi.

“This Vic Valor, you trust his opinion of warriors?” asked Herald.

“Certainly,” said Oddrun with a smile. “He was a match for Shogun, and he’s helped us out a few times before, so he’s a solid source.”

“I see,” said Herald. “And you say that he was complimentary to this Bucklingburger’s abilities?”

“Yeah, he put him up in at least the A range overall,” said Kakashi.

“Very interesting,” said Herald. “I think it should be very enjoyable to face a fighter of that level. Very well, I will enter this tournament of yours.”

“Excellent!” said Kakashi.

“Are you sure Herald?” asked Odd. “I’m willing to bet there are much stronger fighters that Kakashi already told you about.”

“Perhaps, but a tournament should be an opportunity to face fighters you rarely encounter. I can have a contest with any member of the force almost any time, and other than them there weren’t any fighters of any real interest that were brought up,” said Herald. “So if this Bucklingburger is as good as Kakashi says he is he’ll fit the criteria for the type of fighter I look for in these situations.”

“Well whatever the reason this is good, we’ve got another powerhouse fighter, and that means the tournament is one name closer to having a full roster!” said Kakashi as he dashed off, leaving Odd and Herald to catch up with him later, for the time being he had somewhere to be, and someone he needed to talk to immediately.

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 3: A Greater Defense Force

Firiath let out a low grumble as the mid-day sun poked through her window and directly into her eyes. She hated waking up, it was easily her least favorite part of the day, but for some reason she always ended up going through with it. The days seemed to have gotten longer this year. Fights with terrible foes came and went about as often as they had before, but even the regular day to day tasks seemed to have that quality of dread to them that she just couldn’t explain.

After Shogun had died Firi and Cylli had both taken a note from Met and moved out of Spamopolis as far as primary residences, although they both spent most of their time in the city anyway. In spite of how much time they spent there neither of them could fully come to accept this place as their official home without their ‘fearless leader’ there. Of everyone Shogun had always seemed like the one who would always be there, this wasn’t the first time that he’d died, but he had at least had a way back before, there didn’t seem to be any way for him to return now. They’d come to grips with him not coming back again.

As she made her way down to the kitchen she opened the blinds, hitting Cyllieth with the full rays of the sun that she’d managed to position herself away from when they’d decided who was going to sleep where in the crummy room that they rented within Spamopolis for the times that they spent there. Cyllieth let out a grumble of her own as she slowly got up and began to get prepared for the day ahead. Met had told them that they needed every member of the force to be present today since they were having the team’s first official review since being observed as a chapter of the inter-forum-defense-coalition.

Firiath wasn’t certain what the story was with the coalition, but according to Met it was vital to the team that they be accepted into it. The day that he’d announced their entry Dragn9 had asked him why they were being entered into it now rather than when Shogun was in charge. Firiath had been expecting Met and Dragn to have a confrontation over this question, but Met seemed rather reserved over the matter. Apparently when Shogun had been around the Defense Force had been large enough that neither of them had seen the need to enter, but these days TFF warriors were much rarer than they had been, and the coalition would provide them with aid from time to time when it became necessary.

The review committee would be made up of three high-ranking members of the coalition. They were to be the head of the coalition, Captain Extremus and his assistant L0ri, as well as a member of the order of the Shining Knights. The announcement that a member of the order that had reared Rosgwak had been a source of serious curiosity among most of the warriors of TFF, as they were all curios to know what had become of their friend since the last time he’d left the city of Spamopolis. Personally Firiath only hoped that this knight was as good a fighter and friend as Ros had been, heavens knew Spamopolis could use one.

In the kitchen Firiath started preparing hers and Cyllieth’s breakfast, a light one this mourning, eggs and toast, nothing more. Cyllieth emerged from the hallway soon as well, dressed in her usual black outfit. Cyllieth’s robotic hand was really the only thing that had received any modifications as far as appearance went over the last year. The elf had kept her hair the same style and length, her stuffed animal belt remained tightly clipped around her waist, and she’d maintained a similar style and color scheme in her clothes. As for the hand, even it hadn’t changed much, mostly having the fingers upgraded to make her more combat ready and give her a longer reach, in addition to the addition of energy projection features.

Firiath had altered her appearance far more than Cyllieth, cutting her hair to a much shorter length than previously, but maintaining more waves in it than was typical among halflings. She’d stopped projecting her aura as she used to do, although she wasn’t sure how this had occurred. She now wore a chest plate similar to her brother’s, a little parting gift when he moved away from the city, along with a small but powerful version of Skyanide’s Ban-Hammer. The only piece of her attire that remained the same was the tiny pouch on her hip, and the little beast that it contained.

“So you didn’t put on anything dressy either?” asked Cyllieth with a small sleepy smile.

“We’re not an army, and no less often than the city is attacked we need to be ready to jump right into the fight, review or not,” said Firiath, only half remembering what Met had said about why he wasn’t requiring them to wear any type of uniform for the upcoming event.

“Sounds good,” said Cyllieth. “It’s going to be weird calling someone else our leader.”

“Yeah, but it probably won’t last after today,” said Firi glumly. Since Shogun’s death Met had never had anyone address him as the leader of the team, he’d more or less just been given the title since he was arguably the strongest of the Defense Force.

“Maybe,” said Cyllieth. “How do you think it’s going to go?”

“Well, as long as they don’t want us to do anything in any particularly organized fashion we should do fine,” said Firiath.

“Yeah,” said Cyllieth. “We never could form a coordinated plan.”

“And then we have to begin the proceedings for the tournament next week,” added Firiath.

“So you’re saying today is just going to suck?” asked Cylli.

“Pretty much,” sighed Firi.

“Well, maybe something exciting will end up happening,” said Cylli. “Like an alien attack, we haven’t had one of those for a while.”

“We can hope,” said Firiath as they both gathered their food and began their final preparations for the day ahead.

Met stood alone in the old field where Way Big Mountain had stood before it had moved some time ago. The mist never seemed to lift in this place, and the night’s darkness never seemed to pierce through to the heart of the fog. Few dared to enter into this abyss, seeing it as an early vision of what hell was like, and with the number of energies that the Demon King’s essence had left behind and the number of hallucinations that they seemed to cause Met was tempted to believe that they were right.

Met had never succumbed to these illusions, his will was too strong, and his mind too focused. Thus, the solitude of this place made it ideal for him to be able to think deeply on life and the state of things, alone and without concern for the outside that seemed unable to penetrate the fog. In the months since Shogun had died Met had come here often, trying to decide what his purpose was now. That day a year ago had changed the entire landscape of TFF, and it didn’t seem to him that there was a reason to continue fighting the way that he had been.

Met had come to Spamopolis for one reason, because Ender had told him that there was a warrior here that would be a match for him. Met had found such a warrior in the form of I. R. Shogun, a fighter whose style not only complimented, but contrasted his own so perfectly that he seemed the absolute perfect fit for a rival against which Met could constantly measure and track the progress of his skills. Certainly over time Met had grown to enjoy his role as a defender of Spamopolis, but through it all becoming better than Shogun had always been his primary goal. Now that there was no Shogun there was no one that could take his place, not even Ender whose abilities were certainly around that same level.

At first Met had believed that he would be able to find a suitable nemesis in the form of Super Shrew, who had proven to be the most potent and constant threat to Spamopolis on numerous occasions. Unfortunately Super Shrew hadn’t been seen or heard from since the death of Shogun. It had occurred to Met some time ago that perhaps the thing that kept Super Shrew anchored there was Shogun’s constant existence as a force that could stop him, placing him and Met into the same situation.

Met had faced a hard choice when he’d come to that conclusion, he could continue to fight for TFF in hopes that someone equivalent to a Super Shrew for him would emerge, and at least experience the joy of the fight as he waited for a worthy opponent, or he could take his own life, so that he could find Shogun in the afterlife, and face him within the deepest depths of the abyss. Of coarse ultimately the second option was deemed foolish but Met wondered if he’d ever experience the fulfillment of a fight with a truly worthy adversary ever again.

In truth that was part of the reason that he’d ultimately chosen to enter the Spamopolis Defense Force into the Coalition. The best of the best of the side of good at least were all members of the coalition, and that would grant him access to all of them, perhaps among that number he’d be able to find someone that would be able to provide the challenge that he’d experienced while fighting with or against Shogun, perhaps one of them would finally manage to fill this void he felt now that he was at the apex of the power structure here with no one left to push his growth, perhaps one of them would allow him to experience the joy of a true battle again. Perhaps…

14. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World Chapter 4: The Committee Arrives

“So this is Spamopolis?” asked L0ri as their wagon entered the city gates. She was a small woman, but she was extremely talented with a pen and her intelligence had aided Captain Extremus many times. She dressed in a skirt to her knees and a light cloak over a simple black shirt; her feet protected by a ragged pair of old boots.

“The most famous city to have a successful defense force that wasn’t a member of the coalition,” added the captain, a gray haired elf with golden eyes. He was oddly brawny for an elf, leading to many rumors that he was of mixed race, but it made little difference. He was a highly potent warrior, as evidenced by the numerous visible damage spots, none of them anything more than aesthetic, despite this being the same armor that he had worn through over ten centuries.

“Any idea what made them change their mind?” asked L0ri.

“Rumor has it their leader died last year, as a result many of the members of the team ended up drifting off into their own affairs,” said Extremus. “It’s rather unfortunate, I was hoping to meet him someday. He was a Shogun you know, the members of that clan are always exceptional warriors.”

“Is he the reason that those two requested to be allowed to look into this forum if we accept it?” asked L0ri.

“Most likely,” said Extremus. “You know how they are when it comes to family matters.”

“Yeah,” sighed L0ri. “So who all have they been fighting that they didn’t need to join the Coalition until now?”

“Their rogues gallery is fairly unique, it’s one of the main reasons I wanted to review them myself,” said Extremus. “The Hitler Clan that had ruined several forums was taken out by them, the Matula brothers made an appearance, the /Umsmebr\ menace was subdued by them, they were the ones chosen by the Anti-Doom Star, their efforts drove out the alien/zombie invasion years ago, they faced off with Yid-Unspeakable, they’ve had a few run ins with General Savage, and were actually the ones who took him out, Mad Jake has been taken down here a few times, sleep gods and demons, most importantly, Super Shrew.”

“The Super Shrew? As in, the one who’s killed over seven full Coalition teams?” asked L0ri in disbelief.

“That’s the one, apparently they’ve faced and defeated him on numerous occasions,” said Extremus, “As if the resume weren’t impressive enough before that.”

“If they’re good enough to stop him why do they need our help now?” asked L0ri.

“They’re much smaller in number now than they were last time they faced him,” said the Shining Knight, clad in full ceremonial armor, including an almost full head covering, who sat with them before Extremus got the chance. “Their strength was their unity, with no true leader, that unity has suffered.”

“It’s hard to think that one man made that much of a difference,” said L0ri.

“It wasn’t just one man,” said Extremus. “There were various circumstances that got involved as well, but overall I don’t think we need to ask them why they chose to join us, we need to be thankful to be adding another strong team to our global network. The fact that they have some experience against Super Shrew, and may be able to assist us in dealing with him is just a plus.”

“All things considered I think it would be quite wise of both of you not to mention Super Shrew until the TFF Defense Force is fully initiated into the IFDC. His name is understandably rather infamous around here, and if you go around shooting your mouths off about him you may turn them off to the idea of joining us,” said the Shining Knight.

“Fair enough, I suppose we should focus on the current situation rather than mapping out the entire future already,” said Extremus.

“Speaking of which, looks like we’re here,” said L0ri as the coach came to a stop and the door was opened to present them to the line of warriors who stood ready to greet them.

There were several fighters, ranging from a pack of wolves to a dark skinned highly toned warrior, to a silver haired ninja, to a burning skeleton. Extremus made certain to pay close attention to their faces, they were battle hardened, but not free of a great deal of mixed and ranging feelings. None of them seemed impressed or awe struck by him, L0ri, or the Shining Knight Commander, but he supposed a group that had faced the things that they had didn’t really have any reason to be enamored with any of the three of them. “If the leader of you would please step forward?” asked Extremus.

“That would be me,” said Met as he stepped out and handed Extremus the team roster.

“Very good, so the highlighted ones are the ones in attendance? Alright, I’m going to take a quick roll call to see who’s who,” said Extremus quickly, getting a nod from the TFFers. “Oddrun, Firiath, Cyllieth, Kakashi, Wolf, Overread, Sorillon, Herald of Woe, Running Wolf, and I’m assuming you’re Meteorain?”

“The one and only,” answered Met.

“Is there a chance that any of these others will be showing up?” asked Extremus.

“Not particularly,” answered Met. “This is the core crew though.”

“I see,” said Extremus. “Well in that case the evaluation should be fairly easy. Myself, L0ri, and the Commander will be observing all of you as you handle various tasks through out the city, I understand there’s going to be a tournament soon?”

”In a few days, most of us will be competing, but so will a large number of fighters with no affiliation with the team other than living in the same forum,” said Met.

“Well either way, it’ll be a good chance for us to see what some of you are capable of in a fight, and that’ll help us decide what level of troops to send into you guys in case you need to call in for reinforcements,” said Extremus.

“Sounds like a plan, so when do we begin?” asked Met.

“After a bit of lunch,” said the Shining Knight. “I’m about ready to die in this suit.”

“General, a review committee from the IFDC has arrived in Spamopolis,” said one of the foot soldiers as he looked up from his screen.

“On screen,” ordered Savage.

“Yes sir,” replied the soldier as he beamed up the information about the committee to Savage’s master control screen.

Savage had had several run ins with the IFDC in the past. In fact, Captain Extremus had been the one who took his eye all those ages ago. As such Savage had been certain to keep tabs on all of the major members of the coalition since Really Really Big Tech had hired him on. His few encounters with Extremus’ assistant L0ri made him assured that she was not a threat by any means, but the Captain himself, as well as the prominent Shining Knight Commander had piqued his interest.

“What do you think Thrall?” Savage asked the armored figure that stood a few steps below him. “Shall we let them know we’re back in business now, or should we wait a while?”

Savage knew that Thrall wouldn’t answer, he would just stand there, waiting for the order to attack, but Savage wouldn’t have cared much if he could speak, he already knew his plan of action, and he knew that currently they couldn’t afford to go around attacking the TFFers and the coalition. They needed to wait for the time being, bide their time until it was the perfect moment.

“Increase the number of observation units in Spamopolis, I want to know everything that everyone in that city does at all times,” said Savage. “Check the status on the mountain as well. The last thing I need are surprises at this point, and it occurs to me that you can’t really count on anyone around here to stay dead for very long.”

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  15. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 5: Villain

Wolf was uncertain of what to make of this L0ri girl. She certainly had to be a competent fighter if she’d been sent to observe them in the field considering the nature of their work, but Wolf couldn’t help but feel this girl would end up being dead weight rather quickly if something were to occur that required their quick and decisive response. She supposed that if it became a true necessity then the other two members of her squad, Overread and Running Wolf, would be an ample pair to make up for any lack of skill, but Wolf still didn’t like not having all of her bases covered.

The four of them were on a rather routine patrol, as were the other two squads that Met had sent them all off in so that the committee could assess their performance capabilities. Thus far everything had been quiet, there didn’t seem to be any cause for concern currently, Spamopolis had been rather tame for the last month, none of the old fire and brimstone villains tended to come around much anymore. Wolf had almost grown bored with the way things were now, but in the end she knew that if it meant the people of the city were safer than it was worth the cost of her excitement.

This wasn’t all to say that Spamopolis was completely without threats these days. Plenty of gangs still emerged and disappeared from time to time. There was still the occasional behemoth that required the entire team band together to fight against one big villain, but overall there was only one big villain in town that had proven to be worth the trouble of actually calling him a villain. Those members of his gang that they’d captured referred to him as Kain, but any information about what he was after was yet to be revealed. What they did know was that his soldiers were extremely potent, and those of them that the force had encountered had been confirmed to have a penchant for getting out of jail without leaving any traces.

Kain’s operations and goals seemed to be as varied as every other villain in TFF history combined. He’d stolen everything from technology to jewels to medical supplies. Given the track record that the TFFers had against villains who liked to steal things this certainly didn’t seem to bode well, but any lead that they managed to find always seemed to come up dry, leading them to wonder if Kain wasn’t onto them a lot more than they were really aware.

Wolf was immediately blasted out of her thoughts with a massive explosion from a building nearby. Civilians scattered as well as they could through the debris and their own injuries, quickly leaving a good deal of room for Wolf and her squad to check out the towering figure that emerged from the building with a sack over one shoulder, and a ball of fire hovering just above his free hand. He had a massive heavyset frame, a series of bulky pads covering random portions of his body. The only part of his attire that seemed to have any purpose was the pair of red bug-eyed goggles that covered his eyes, attached to his head by a heavy metallic ring that circled his skull.

“Well Gorger, didn’t expect to see you here,” growled Wolf.

“Well I’ll be, if it ain’t the hound gang,” cackled the towering Gorger in that gravelly accent of his. “I didn’t expect the force would be on the scene so soon, and who’s the little lady?”

“You don’t need to worry about her,” said Wolf. “All you need to know is that that money is going back right now.”

“Well shoot, I ain’t even gotten to count it all!” said Gorger. “Hope you’ll understand if I don’t surrender it without a fight.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” said Wolf. “Fan out, take him down.”

“With pleasure,” said RW as she dashed forward, quickly going into a circular pattern around the giant easily dodging his flame blasts as he tossed them clumsily her way. With that distraction OR ran forward as well, waiting for Gorger to turn his back before going full force and crashing heavily into the back of the brute. Gorger staggered forward, carelessly tossing a ball into a nearby building, which soon caught ablaze as well.

“Damn it OR be careful!” growled Wolf, “Take care of the fire, I’ll handle the lummox.”

“Sorry, RW, keep the blaze contained, I’ll get a hold of some water,” said OR as he fazed out.

“Like I have a choice,” grumbled OR, already upset about how short lived her role in the battle had been.

As Gorger attempted to get some distance between himself and Wolf he quickly found her taking him out at the knees. Gorger fell, spreading a heavy blaze to push Wolf back and allowing him to regain his footing, “You really think you can take me on all alone puppy?”

“As sure as I am that you’re one dumb fat man,” spat Wolf as she leapt over the flames and slashed at his face, forcing him to stagger. Gorger sent out another burst of flame, but Wolf managed to stop this with a quick Snarl. Gorger didn’t worry about this; instead he rushed Wolf and sent her for a ride with a brutal kick to the body. He figured that the fight was over right there, but unfortunately for Gorger his first fireball hadn’t kept OR and RW occupied for long. The two separated and both bore into him from either side with wicked bites and slashes with their claws. Unfortunately Gorger’s strength was far beyond anything that the wolves had on hand, and once he managed to get a hold of them he easily tossed them aside.

“Well it’s been fun but I’ve got to get going suckers,” cackled Gorger again when L0ri caught his eye. “Well well, what do we have here? Pretty little thing ain’t ya? Bet you’d like a night out with a big man eh?”

L0ri slowly backed away from his lumbering advance, but she didn’t need to panic long. A loud howl cut through the air as Wolf reappeared in a drastically different form. She’d stood up on her hind legs and grown much more massive, achieving a very humanoid form, allowing her many more options for assault. This was Wolf’s Evolution form, and she was more than happy to show Gorger how it was going to work. With a powerful foot to the gut she sent him skidding back, then with a loud and painful grunt she lifted him and threw him heavily through the air.

“Nice trick pup, but it’ll take a lot more than that to keep the big man down!” said Gorger as he returned to his feet, then charged forward, easily bowling over Wolf with his sheer unparalleled girth.

“Damn, I don’t remember him being nearly this tough before,” grunted OR as he got up.

“We’re usually a bit more prepared when he comes calling,” growled RW.

“One of you take his left ankle, the other go for his right triceps,” said L0ri suddenly.

“What?” both the wolves said in unison.

“He favors his left leg very heavily, if you damage his ankle he won’t be able to stand, and every time he uses that fire attack his right triceps shift slightly, they may be the center of that power for the moment,” explained L0ri. “If you two take those spots Wolf should be able to land a direct strike against his jaw, with her enhanced strength in this form and his surprise at being countered it shouldn’t take more than one shot to knock him out.”

“What do you think?” asked OR.

“It’s worth a shot,” said RW as she dashed forth, aiming for the leg. OR followed suit, poised to take on Gorger’s right arm, hopefully this would work.

Somewhere in Spamopolis…

Kain sat in the high backed chair, the high collar of his cape wrapping comfortably around his head, even managing to accommodate the mask and cowl that he kept drawn back for the time being. His expression was a glum as ever as he raised the glass to his mouth and slowly sipped at it. He didn’t bother to taste the wine as it passed through his mouth, nor did he have any intention of getting comfortably intoxicated off of it. The wine was merely out of courtesy for his uncle, who had presented it to him on his last visit. Kain hated wine, just as he hated many of the pointless indulgences of the world, but if all went according to his schemes that wouldn’t matter much longer.

The screen flashed of Gorger’s battle with the TFFers, as usual Gorger would lose, but as with all of the agents that he’d sent to Spamopolis today that was what he was meant to do. He simply needed to give Kain an idea what the members of the Coalition would be capable of. There had been a lot of strange activity around Really Really Big Tech recently, and while he couldn’t penetrate into that company he could certainly keep tabs on the high profile TFFers. At least when the time came he knew very well what one of his enemies would be capable of.

16. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 6: Clay Fighter

Gorger yelled at the top of his lungs as he fell to the ground with a thud that rattled the ground. He’d gotten an odd amount of wind after Wolf had hit him, but it hadn’t changed the outcome any. He was out like a light, and it was thanks to L0ri’s pointing out his weaknesses. Wolf smiled as she returned to her normal form, seems that the girl had some use after all, even if she wasn’t a fighter. A quick search of the bag he’d been carrying showed that Gorger had been stealing a large bag of old jewelry, none of which was in particularly good condition, that was strange even for a robbery connected to Kain, maybe Gorger was working on his own for once? It seemed unlikely, but she’d been surprised before.

“What’s the plan boss?” asked OR.

“Lets find a way to lug him back to HQ and see what we can get out of him,” said Wolf, “Maybe we can get the others to help us.”

Little did Wolf know that Gorger wasn’t Kain’s only associate who was active on that day. Elsewhere in the town Kakashi, Met, and Soillon, along with Extremus who was their observer, were dealing with another of the super fiends that the villain was known to employ, a creature called Putty. Putty had no distinct shape to speak of; its body was composed of a strange clay like substance that allowed it to morph and change as it felt it needed to. The surprising speed and durability of this material made Putty a very difficult foe to deal with, even when facing off against a seasoned team of TFFers like it was now.

Met skidded along the ground as he recovered from a blocked strike that the creature had thrown at him. The thing had touched down heavily in one spot and was flailing about twelve massive limbs around in all directions to keep them at bay. The creature had eaten a large cart of apples as well as the merchant selling them, forcing them to take up arms against the creature that was one of their more obnoxious foes to deal with. None of the Meteors that Met was throwing seemed to be making any kind of mark; neither did Kakashi’s blasts and bombs or Sor’s fireballs, Extremus too seemed to be having a rough time thinking of a strategy to deal with this.

Very shortly Met grew tired of the wait and dashed in with fists aglow with power. The creature responded without losing a beat, smashing into him with a giant hammer shaped appendage and forcing him to catch himself in the air. Met railed off numerous blasts but the creature didn’t seem too thrown by the assault, shielding itself then swiping at Met again with another heavy tentacle strike. Even while the creature’s attention had been on him it didn’t seem to lose track of the others, or at the very least it hadn’t had any trouble keeping them at bay, they needed to come up with some sort of strategy.

Kakashi and the others all circled around the creature just outside the range that it seemed most comfortable defending itself at. Met decided to start things off by calling forth the Tears of the Meteor, leaving Putty softer and more malleable than usual. After that Kakashi struck in with his Three Spheres, blasting the creature with massive amounts of electricity that drove its tendrils wild. As this was occurring Sorillon forced every piece of the creature to surface by closing off the many holes in the ground. Finally, as the Three Spheres duration ended Extremus rushed in, his long staff glowing white as he unleashed a lightning fast flurry with the weapon.

Putty seemed to wobble for a moment before catching its metaphoric second wind, and with an explosion of movement sent the heroes scattering. Kakashi struck the wall of a nearby church with a brutal thud before falling off and hitting the ground. He was soon back on his feet but he didn’t dare advance at this point. Met appeared beside him, an odd look of frustration on his face, as they’d certainly dealt with more potent foes than this before, “Any ideas?” he asked.

“None,” said Kakashi. “How the hell have we fought this thing before?”

“We usually have some way to make it hold still, but even so it’s packing more of a punch than it usually does,” said Met.

“Maybe you could slow it down and the rest of us could rail on it with big booming techniques,” suggested Kakashi.

“Every other time we’ve fought it this thing was immune to the Graviton Bomb, and the Tears don’t freeze against it,” said Met.

“Well then I got nothing,” said Kakashi.

“What about some type of power word spell?” asked Extremus who arrived beside them now.

“We don’t have too many people in this place that know power words,” said Met.

“Well what about some full on attacks?” asked Extremus. “I don’t think we’d need to worry about killing this thing, it seems to be rather resilient.”

“I guess that could work,” said Met. “I’ll need you to get me in close though.”

“Fair enough, let’s do it,” said Extremus without hesitation.

This ploy was a bit of a strange way to do things as far as Kakashi was concerned. On the one hand they were facing an extremely dangerous threat, and two Met and Extremus seemed to be testing each other with this plan. Met was testing Extremus’ strength and probably his right to lead, as if he was sizing him up to be a new rival. Meanwhile Extremus was gauging the power of Met’s strongest attack while they were right in the middle of a battle.

Unfortunately before Kakashi would have gotten a chance to voice this opinion the two of them had already taken off and were quickly making their way to the body of Putty. Extremus’ sure strokes of his staff easily overpowered the still softened body of Putty while Met’s own form was gradually taking on a brilliant white glow as he charged forward. Finally they made it to the center, and with a massive burst and a sound as loud as thunder Putty’s body was rapidly pulled into itself and became little more than a puddle of mud with a dirty old man and his apple stand sitting in shock in its center.

“Well that was certainly interesting,” said Extremus.

“Something’s wrong,” said Met as he landed.

“Like what? We won didn’t we?” asked Extremus.

“Primitive as his mind may be Putty wouldn’t try to kidnap an apple vendor, even if he’s not working for Kain anymore,” said Kakashi.

“I think there may have been more to this little scene than we realize,” said Sor, who’d apparently been being held down by several pieces of the clay beast.

“Definitely,” said Met. “Kakashi, gather up his body and bring him back to HQ, maybe we’ll finally be able to get some information out of him.”

“And if we can’t?” asked Kakashi.

“Well we’ll still be the only ones with any means to contain him for any real amount of time, so it’d have to be us anyway,” said Met.

“Fair enough, what about you guys?” asked Kakashi.

“I get the feeling if Putty was acting strange then the others might be having similar run-ins. The three of us are going to check on the other groups,” said Met.

“What if I end up having to take on someone else before I can get him all gathered?” asked Kakashi.

“Fight hard and hope we get back to you soon,” answered Met. “Otherwise you’re gonna be s.o.l.” With that he Sor and Extremus took off.

“Well then I guess that’s settled,” muttered Kakashi as he got to work. Today had been an interesting one to be sure, but Kakashi was certain things were going to get even more bizarre soon enough. It was after all only a little past mid-day and things never stayed this tame for very long in the city of Spamopolis. He wondered if the others had had similar experiences to this so far, if this was going to affect their review negatively, and most importantly, what it was that Kain had up his sleeve this time around.

17. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 7: Dr. Antithesis

Herald cringed as his body bounced hard off of the side of the Last Post Wins thread. This particular villain had always been more of an interesting throwback to their more traditional foes, and he was widely considered to be the most dangerous underling Kain had on call. He was known as Dr. Antithesis, and his skills and abilities were at least in the S range, but that wasn’t what made him so dangerous. He was by far the most intelligent enemy they’d faced that had any amount of natural prowess, barring perhaps Super Shrew.

Antithesis’ outfit was predominantly black with purple trim around the muscle lines and the edges of his cape. His mask was a peculiar thing, sculpted to resemble a demon with wild teeth. His powers were basic enough, flight, energy projection, endurance, strength and speed, but what made them so potent was the sheer concentration of them. His eye blasts were about as powerful as a Met meteor, but they were hyper-focused hundreds of time so that all the force was concentrated on an area roughly the size of a quarter. Add to that his proficiency with a sword and shield and he was a highly dangerous presence on any battlefield.

Firiath, Odd, and Cyllieth danced nimbly around the villain, but no attack that they attempted to pull against him seemed to gain any degree of success. Cyllieth would go for the Cylli-nado only to catch the villain’s shield to the face, Odd would attempt an Odd-Ball-Blast and have it deflected directly at her, and each blow of the Firi-Flurry was blocked or countered long before they could make any sort of mark. The four of them had attempted several tandem attacks, but the fact that Herald had never linked an ability with any of the others’, and the girls hadn’t linked any non-tag team attacks in ages only made them easy pickings when they tried this tactic.

“Is this the best you defenders can muster against me? A pity, I was hoping for a challenge,” said Antithesis. “I suppose taking a few heads as trophies will have to do.”

“You haven’t faced every defender yet villain,” came the booming voice of the Shining Knight as he appeared. He’d waited a little way behind the TFFers to attend to some type of business or another, but now as he strode forward with his rapiers drawn Herald and the others couldn’t help but breath a sigh of relief.

“And who would you be? That armor seems a tad bulky for TFFer tastes,” said Antithesis as he sized up the knight.

“I am a commander of the Shining Knights, and a high ranking member of the IFDC, and a friend of the TFF defense force, if you would strike these friends of mine, then I shall strike you down with a glorious flair of my blades,” answered the knight.

“A shining knight you say? I’ve heard of your order, if I recall there used to be one around here as well, I’ve never heard anything of note from you lot, but I suppose if you’re that eager to die then it’ll be worth taking out a high ranking member of the Coalition,” said Antithesis as he took a stance.

“You speak quite boldly, arrogance is the first sign of inexperience,” said the knight.

“Losing your nerve?” asked Antithesis with a slight chuckle.

“Hardly, I just wish you villains would learn not to speak before you’ve learned a thing or two about your foes,” said the knight.

“Enough talk, en garde!” shouted Antithesis as he dashed forward.

With a flick of his wrist the knight misguided the blade of his foe, then spun with grace like that of an expert dancer and slapped the cheek of his foe with the flat of his blade. “Touché,” mocked the knight.

“Lucky start,” scowled Antithesis as he turned and swung his sword and shield in an expertly timed whirling motion, leaving no visible openings to the eyes of the on looking TFFers.

“Perhaps, but this is not,” said the knight as he tossed his blades up, “Scatter brother soul blades!” The swords spun and multiplied for a moment as the knight dodged the attack of Antithesis, and then at once the blades fired off in all directions forcing Antithesis to break his assault to block the wall of steel as the knight’s swords returned.

“What was that?” demanded the masked villain.

“A high level technique developed by the shining knight who used to reside here,” answered the knight. “His name was Rosgwak, and you would do well not to spit on his name until you are worthy for it to pass over your lips.”

“I’m impressed, but hardly intimidated,” said Antithesis as he dashed forward again. He came in for a thrust, the knight moved to guard but found a nasty surprise from his opponent. Antithesis threw his shield forward, hard into the ground. The weapon spun and on impact shot up and struck the knight hard in the jaw, then quickly bounced back to the arm of Antithesis who delivered a brutal slash to the chest of the knight, cleaving through his chest plate like it was nothing, but only barely reaching the edges of the knight’s bones.

The knight staggered back, but didn’t fall; even managing to deflect a follow up attack from the villain, but his counter attacks all fell terribly short. Antithesis stalked him waiting for the time to strike, but he never got one. Herald rejoined the fray with a wild scream and a vicious attack. Antithesis growled as he blocked the attacks from the hero’s glaive, but he was unable to get in close enough to capitalize on the length of the weapon. Before Antithesis would be able to plan out a strategy against the hero a blast shot down from the sky forced the two of them apart.

“Meteorain, just as I’d hoped,” said Antithesis without looking up.

“You hoped I’d be here? You’re more of a masochist than I’d pegged you for after I planted you on that spike last time,” said Met as he touched down.

“Not entirely, but I assumed you’d arrive in a fashion such as that, as such, you’d order the bulk of your allies to tend to the knight, who’ll no doubt be collapsing in a few seconds from pain and blood loss,” said Antithesis, seeming a bit too aware of the situation as the knight collapsed with a thud. “Putty is a difficult opponent, but when an opponent is as skilled as yourself he can hardly stand on his own. At this point I expect yourself and the head of the coalition group, as well as the skeleton to stand back and attempt to apprehend me, unfortunately I planned for this as well, hence the reason that the girls are still alive with seemingly only mild injuries.”

At once Firiath, Cyllieth, and Odd fell to the ground. “What the hell did you do?” demanded Met.

“A simple poison, modified to bypass their natural immunities, with immediate treatment they’ll be fine in a few days, but if you wait too long they’ll all die before the sun sets. This eliminated most of the problems I would have and allow me to face you one on one, unfortunately I hadn’t counted on Gorger falling so short against the wolves. As it stands I have only about three minutes before the wolves arrive, by my estimates it would take me approximately two and a half minutes for me to make any progress in a battle against you, and much longer for me to win, so a solution had to be reached that would be ultimately beneficial to me and allow me to craft a more effective strategy,” explained Antithesis.

“Which is?” asked Met.

“By this point I escaped exactly one second before you threw that blast. The glaive fighter was too absorbed in his battle fury to notice my exit, and the others were coping with both the effects of the poison and the visual of the battle to see me slip away ever so carefully. The wolves would be able to catch my scent by this point, however before leaving I dropped a highly potent chemical which will mask my scent in this area for an ample amount of time for me to bury my trail and be well beyond any of your warrior’s means of tracking. Until we are finally able to engage in a true battle Meteorain, I shall see you later,” said Antithesis as the hologram he’d set up blinked out.

“Damn it,” growled Met.

“Interesting company you have here,” said Extremus as he gathered the knight.

“And this is a slow day,” said Met as he signaled to Sor and Herald to pick up the bodies of the girls to carry them back to Liv’s Library for the medical attention they needed. As Met picked up Odd he thought over this latest set back in their review. Whatever Kain was doing he’d sent an effective message with those moves. Gorger, Putty, and Dr. Antithesis were three of his top agents, and with two or three of his other enforcers it was an all too real possibility that what remained of the defense force would be taken out. It was hard only having one SX fighter on the roster, and a small roster at that. Add to that the fact that Kain was so damn good at staying hidden and Met didn’t like their odds in this entire situation. He only hoped that the knight’s loss to Antithesis had proven that he was a powerful enough foe that even the coalition needed to take notice, and that the Defense Force needed to have some help to bring down whatever Kain would ultimately turn out to be planning.

18. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0
    these are all excellently written.

19. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 8: A Better Warrior

“So we have three fights with three high ranking criminals, all of whom are known to be connected to one major crime lord, but none of whom were performing any crimes that would really benefit anyone,” said Met, recapping the status of things as they stood now.

“Not only that, but in Antithesis’ case at least the only motivation he seemed to have was to fight,” said Wolf. “That doesn’t seem like his style.”

“It’s not,” said Sorillon.

“Whatever the purpose of it was he took out one of the top ranking shining knights in the world alone in a matter of seconds,” said Extremus. “If I’d known you had such a high caliber of foes around here I wouldn’t have even bothered with the review committee and just sent you some uniforms and reinforcements.”

Met fought down the urge to ask if that meant that they were in the coalition, knowing full well that this was exactly the case. “If Antithesis has figured out a way to get passed the normal poison immunity of those three then it could create some serious problems for us down the way. I want to know what they’re trying to pull,” said Met.

“It’s really pretty simple,” said L0ri. “Their leader is trying to get an idea of how skilled the coalition forces are. He’s already got a good feel for the TFF force, so he’s probably trying to figure out how much of a threat additional forces will be to his operations here.”

“Whatever the reason I don’t like it,” said Met. “We’ve beaten all of Kain’s posse before, what made this time around so different?”

“The analysis on Putty could give you the answer to that,” came the voice of Vil as she appeared next to the four of them.

“What did you find?” asked Met.

“Putty has been enhanced by a substance that was drawn from a foe that has only visited the city of Spamopolis once,” said Vil. “The first one to manage to kill I. R. Shogun.

“You don’t mean…” said Wolf.

“/Umsmeber\…” growled Met.

“What?” asked Extremus.

“Nothing important, but if all of Kain’s cronies have juice from that thing in their systems then it could spell big trouble in the future,” said Met. “Do you know how they could have gotten a hold of it?”

“Nothing I can confirm yet,” said Vil. “But so far the records have shown that the asteroid that the creature arrived in TFF on was stolen from Really Really Big Tech very shortly after they recovered it, but press coverage was downplayed so that the company could continue work on Project Badass without any interference.”

“Samson,” said General Savage. “Care to explain to me why none of the updates I was given on the status of the city told me anything about this Dr. Antithesis character?”

“Unfortunately we’ve barely been able to keep up with all of the information on the more recent enemies of the city,” answered Sergeant Samson. “What’s more Antithesis appeared to have died about a week before you came out of your coma. With all of the other information we needed to gather we didn’t see the necessity in informing you about someone we thought was dead.”

“How many times in the history of this city has death ever been permanent?” grumbled Savage.

“In our defense sir, Meteorain had given him one of the most severe beatings we’ve ever recorded,” said Samson.

“Do you have said beating on file?” asked Savage.

“Yes sir,” said Samson.

“Have it ready in my chamber, along with anything else you can gather on Antithesis. I want to know everything I can learn about him, he’s got a dangerous mind, and I don’t need someone getting in the way of out work once we make our move, understood?” Savage asked.

“Yes sir, all clear sir,” said Samson.

“Before you get that arranged I need you to check Thrall’s status levels. It may have been a foolish move not to inform me of everything that has happened since my defeat, but as it stands you’re one of the few soldiers I have competent enough to know how to adjust his armor inputs to keep him under control,” said Savage as he walked away.

“Yes sir, right away sir,” said Samson. In reality Samson dreaded nothing more than having to go anywhere near Thrall, a fact that Savage knew quite well, and used as a form of punishment for Samson’s rare failures.

Samson had been present when they’d begun work commissioning and reprogramming Thrall. The images that had filled his mind prior to being white washed and reset haunted Samson’s dreams to this day. Even at this point, with those thoughts erased and his mind having been placed into an almost robotic obedience Samson could never look at Thrall while he had his helmet off. Something about those eyes of the super soldier, still filled with all of the trials and tribulations he’d faced in his past life, everything that had occurred through all of his battles, and especially what had occurred in the last few moments of his final battle, one that had shaken the earth, all were still clear and present on his expressionless mask of a face.

Luckily for Samson the control panel for Thrall’s armor, and therefore Thrall himself was attached to the throne like power chair that the warrior was hooked into each night. Thrall’s armor hooked into the chair through three main ports in the back, set at both shoulders and in the center of his back. It was a black and awe inspiring sight to see him sitting there, completely and deathly still, staring out into nothingness through that mask he wore. Even with that mask on Samson knew Thrall never blinked, he was always watching, always observing, calculating in case some day he needed to be turned on any of Savage’s subordinates as he had so many of the lesser soldiers back during his early test runs.

Samson entered the chamber, the pod that Thrall’s chair was set in was nearly closed, allowing those outside of it just enough of a glimpse within to let them know that Thrall was in there, watching, waiting, eagerly anticipating the day that Savage would finally turn him loose on the city of Spamopolis. Of coarse that was an exaggeration. Thrall didn’t anticipate anything unless Savage ordered him to. Thrall didn’t do anything unless he was ordered to. This was a clear flaw from the programming perspective, but Savage had given a very good reason for it.

Should he be captured Savage didn’t want Thrall to be able to be controlled by anyone else. Once whatever prior orders were met Thrall would simply stand and await future orders, remaining completely idol until Savage’s next command came, and if it never did then he wouldn’t move until the day he died. If something from Thrall’s past came up this programming was set in place to stop that from breaking him free of Savage’s commands.

Samson breathed slowly within the chamber, hoping to somehow avoid that feeling of Thrall’s cold glance falling upon him, but he knew he’d never be able to hide from those eyes. That helmet gave Thrall a full view of everything around him, so long as nothing obscured his vision he could see what occurred on all sides. Samson quickly and nervously tapped at the readouts on all of Thrall’s vitals, brain fluid levels, and everything else that sustained his life. All levels were green, and within optimal range, upon seeing this he quickly exited out of all menus and immediately left the room, closing the doors behind him.

It was problematic to be a soldier and yet be so easily unnerved by someone who was more or less just a newer model. Before Thrall had been activated all of the previous generations of Project Badass soldiers had been considered around the same level of perfection, but when Thrall’s armor had been perfected and his training complete all previous models were considered more or less obsolete. Granted soldiers of his level were still used for most missions that the corporation needed complete, they found more and more being performed by Thrall, since apparently these missions that they used to be considered more than qualified for were now considered far beyond their capabilities. Samson wondered how the waves that would follow Thrall would work, would they be upgraded versions of the previous Badasses? Or would they be far more cold and mechanical, true copies of Thrall himself…

20. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Brave New World, Chapter 9: Pep Talk

No further incidents occurred in the days preceding the tournament. Due to this the TFFers were able to focus completely on their final preparations. As Dr. Antithesis had said the girls all recovered soon and were at full fighting capability long before the big day came. What seemed far more impressive however, was the speed with which the Shining Knight had recovered. His wound had been a vicious one, but within a day of arriving at the library he was able to stand and walk, in three days he could run, and two days after that he was able to swing his swords at full strength again. Vil said she’d never seen anything like it, although no one was going to complain about having such a strong ally able to fight so quickly after being wounded.

Of all of the warriors of TFF that were attending in the city at the time only two were not entered into the tournament, Cyllieth and Firiath. The two of them had elected not to sign up for this, the first tournament since the death of Shogun for several reasons, the most important being reported was that there needed to be some high class fighters that acted as judges and refs, however this was not truly the primary reason for them not choosing to take part as fighters.

Firiath sat alone in the rest area for fighters that would soon be packed with warriors who made it through the preliminary rounds of the tournament. She could feel that same electricity in the air that always came with tournaments, but there was something clearly missing from the air. It was that sense of knowing exactly who was going to be able to what against whom that had always been present in the past, their roster had changed so much, it was like the first tournament of an all new forum. Firiath and Cyllieth had both been outcasts of so many forums, in TFF they’d found acceptance from the start, and with that feeling of unfamiliarity that came with the way things were now neither of them was quite ready for competition fights again.

The halfling was jostled out of her thoughts with the arrival of a loud clacking set of footsteps. A quick investigation showed it to be the shining knight, apparently having made it through his preliminary rounds and now whistling a happy tune. When he noticed Firiath his cheerful demeanor hardly changed. “Why lady Firiath, I thought I’d missed you in the preliminaries, you must have triumphed quickly, how long have you been in here?”

“Since the building opened,” answered Firiath. “I’m not taking part as a contestant in this tournament.”

“What?!” said the knight with shock evident in his tone. “A warrior so skilled as yourself would be able to put on a superb display, and I know you aren’t afraid of combat, what has made you decide to sit this one out?”

“Things are just different this year,” Firiath replied. “It’s not going to be like other tournaments.”

The knight took a long hard look over her, his eyes seeming to gaze deep within her very soul until he suddenly came to the answer he’d apparently been looking for, when this happened he spoke, “Could it be that there’s a fighter that won’t be taking part here, who you can’t see yourself competing without?”

“Well, sort of…” said Firiath, unsure of how to explain the void left in many of the TFFer’s competitive edge since Shogun had died, luckily the knight didn’t make her go on, but rather it seemed that he understood better than she could have guessed.

“Lady Firiath, tournaments are a great place to make friends and tighten bonds with those already made. The thrill of the fight and the soulful way we express ourselves in combat allow warriors to know each other better than anyone ever could that hasn’t fought. I have seen the way that you battle, you are a bold soul, a great fighter with a conquering spirit, but when you keep yourself from fighting you take that gift away, not only from possible opponents, but from yourself,” said the knight. “The warrior that you miss, its I. R. Shogun is it not?”

“Yes…” said Firiath, surprised at the knight’s overwhelming understanding.

“Then you have heard him speak of his warrior’s way haven’t you?” asked the knight.

“Maybe once or twice,” said Firiath, not having the foggiest recollection of what he was talking about, a fact that the knight seemed to understand even as she made no inkling toward it.

“I have met and dueled many Shoguns, some who stayed the true path of the clan, others who broke away and chose the way of the corrupted branch of the clan, but with all of them, every single one good or evil, there was one philosophy that remained the same. They have told me that it was given to the clan by Old Man Shogun, the one who taught their ancestors the ways of the art they later dubbed Shogun Fu. Would you like to hear it?” asked the knight.

Firiath simply nodded.

“A warrior who lays down his sword in atonement is called an honorable man, a warrior who lays down his sword in a time of peace has achieved the ultimate goal, but a warrior who gives up the fight because of the dawning of a new day is doomed to eternal sadness and regret,” said the knight. “In the original tongue it is much smoother, but the main idea remains in tact. Shogun wouldn’t want you to stop fighting in things like tournaments, which are meant to demonstrate the power of those who defend, simply because he has left you. He would want you and all the others to fight and train that much harder, in hopes that in his absence the world would know no cause for fear, because the TFF Defense Force would remain as strong as ever, even without him.”

Firiath considered this for a long moment, but before she could think of a reply the doors opened up as several more of the competitors entered. Seeing this the knight cut their conversation to an end, since their moment of privacy was now at an end.

“Fighting is what you and the other defenders of TFF do best, it is what has enabled you to become such an endearing part of the land, and such esteemed members of the coalition. As such, the fight is the way that you express your souls, it is a part of you, to stop it at times like these is your choice, but is Shogun were here he would have you keep fighting, because through battle you not only improve yourself, but you will be honoring his memory, that of the fighting hero.”

Before she could reply the knight walked away to attend to other talks with other fighters. Firiath took a moment to think about what he’d said, but was soon joined by Cyllieth who had things other than the philosophy of fighting and the legacy of friends to discuss.

“The competition is looking pretty tough this year, even if we’re just on the sidelines it should still be a pretty good tournament,” she said.

“Any predictions yet?” asked Firiath.

“Well I’d say Met’s still the favorite, but there are going to be some guys out there that will be able to give him a good run for his money, although I haven’t seen anyone quite on his level yet,” said Cylli.

“Any names I should pay special attention to?” asked Firi.

“The guy Vic Valor told us about, Bucklingburger seems to be pretty tough, and the shining knight commander got through all of his prelims in record time. Other than that I didn’t see anyone myself, but I’ve heard some interesting rumors,” said Cylli.

“Rumors?” said Firi, clearly not satisfied with Cyllieth knowing anything she didn’t.

“The usual stuff we get at these, powerful umber mages, guys with fighting styles that share parts of Shogun’s, some robots, stuff like that,” said Cylli.

“Any word on the rest of the gang?” asked Firi.

“Every one of ours that I saw got through, so at the very least Met, Wolf, Kakashi, Sor, Herald, and OR,” said Cylli.

“Sounds like we’ll have a solid bunch, I hope Oddy made it,” said Firi.

“I don’t think she’d have any trouble, everyone I talked to seemed to be afraid of her,” said Cylli.

“True, but then again if I didn’t know her better I’d be scared of Odd too,” said Firi.

“Yep, I’m just curious to see how all of the seeds shape up, there’s a lot of interesting characters that I saw out there that I wouldn’t mind seeing in action now that the losers have been weeded out,” said Cylli.