Tales of TFF!

Discussion in 'Spam....' started by I. R. Shogun, Feb 11, 2007.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Fan Reaction:

Many fans were interested in this look at a possible future of the heroes of TFF, but they still demanded assurance that this wouldn't be the true future of the heroes. This was assured by Super-Shrew's resurrection in Harbringers of Hardcore.

The most controversy came from how easily several of the characters, namely Oddrun and Wolf were dispatched by the psycho Ray. None the less it is widely considered a classic arc of the series and is one of the best selling arcs in the history of the publication. Artist Tom Yokov shares his views on drawing the series:

"This was one of the most challenging stories to draw for, because I needed to make it clear that everyone was older, but at the same time I had to make sure that the readers would recognize the heroes after they'd had years to more or less decay. I was hesitant to take off Shogun's sideburns or Cyllieth's robot hand, but at the same time I knew some of these changes just had to happen, otherwise there wouldn't be any way to convince fans that the heroes had been somewhat powered down and many other things had changed over time."

2. Lady Cyllíeth

Lady Cyllíeth WillExplodeUnderPressure

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    =O

I.R. = God. The REAL God.

btw, yay robot hand! Yay, cyborgs! XD

3. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Music duo? I REALLY hope I'm not the singer. :D

Whatever. I'm sure I already mentioned how much I love your stories. Well, Cyllíeth just mentioned it. I can't wait to read the next one! Waiting for more to read is almost as exciting as the stories themselves. :p

4. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Have you heard most modern music, you don't need vocal skills as long as you put the appropriate genre up. Or, if you're trying to get big in Japan, just be non-Japanese. They love foreign stuff.

And yeah, I figured you'd like the robotic hand, and it opens up a few ideas for attacks you can use.

5. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Well. That kinda sucks.

6. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry, you'll get a major part later.

7. warrior_squirrel21

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Well, at least I died in my hole.
    YAAAY hole!

8. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    yeah I.R.!

good story

9. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    This also makes Cyllieth the second person to declare me a god, finally, a cult of Shogun is gathering steam.

10. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    i want to be the thrid!

I.R. Shogun=god

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    This also gives me an idea for a storyline.

12. warrior_squirrel21

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Oh God. No! Not you!

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The Meaning of PUNCH!: Not my best, but I needed to bring Ray, WS, and Kakashi into the storyline.

The story begins with I. R. Shogun wandering the streets of Spamopolis when the hero is attacked by two mysterious foes. Shogun deflects their initial ambush leading them to introduce themselves, they are Raycaptain and Warrior_Squirrel21, and they have come to challenge him to prove they are the greatest warriors in the land.

The two renew their attack and for several panels they attack the headbanded hero without him returning any of their aggression. Eventually Shogun strikes back, knocking both of the newcomers to the ground without any real effort. Ray and WS are stunned to realize Shogun only waited so long because he was gaging their styles.

Shogun tells them if they ever want to become the greatest warriors in the land they're going to have to cut out all of their flashy tricks and hone their basic skills. The two refuse to accept this and attack again, much to the same effect. Finally the two leave, accepting that Shogun is still a vastly superior warrior.

For the next few days the pair attempt to gain victories over TFF's other great protectors who are mostly as lenient as Shogun until they cross Meteorain. Before the two can even begin an assault Met blows them away with the power of his Metatomic Bomb technique and berates them for their insolence, telling them if they desire to get stronger they're going to need a strong teacher.

The two first seek out I. R. Shogun for training, but are turned away because he has already began training their fellow new member Kakashi. Had they realized Shogun training only goes until the warriors have learned the basics and then they are required to learn their own way from there they probably would have stuck around until he could get to them.

However, the two finally did meet up with someone willing to train them, Lady Cyllieth and Firiath, who specialized in team techniques and were thus the best candidates to train the young duo. Their training is vigorous under LC and Firi, who more or less use them as pack mules in addition to their training, but eventually Ray and WS are deemed fit to call themselves warriors.

Once more the two seek I. R. Shogun, not so much to try to best him, but to measure how far they've come in the past few months. Shogun still manages to defeat them, but this time he actually uses his Super Shogun kick to defeat them. Shogun comments that they have come a long way, but if they really want to test their skills as warriors they must try their hand against the greatest combat duo in TFF, the very pair that trained them.

Ray and WS are hesitant to challenge LC and Firi, having heard the rumors that as a team they are capable of defeating even Shogun or Meteorain. None the less WS and Ray want to prove their worth as warriors, and earn a place among the heroes of TFF, and the only way to do so is to challenge the masters of duo combat.

When Ray and WS arrive at the house of Firi and LC what they find is much more than they expected, all of the heroes of TFF have gathered there and are going to watch the fight to see if Ray and WS have what it takes, and can go the distance.

The fight begins and, much as was expected, Firiath and Cyllieth dominate Ray and WS. However through it all, after every Firi-Flurry and Cyllieth-Rocket-Fist, the younger team continues to show their fighting spirit, not giving up until finally they are knocked out by Cyllieth and Firiath's low power team combo, The Shrieking Terror Drop.

After regaining the ability to move Ray and WS are informed that they are now officially TFF heroes. Albeit they are lower level heroes, they are heroes none the less. The two leave the hospital, now wondering when they get to start busting the bad guy's heads.

It is right about then that a bus full of blind adorable orphans is hijacked by a raving mad man. Ray and WS don't need any more of a sign and spring into action. They reach the bus and manage to liberate it from the villain and bring it to a stop, but all is not well, for the terrorist is still rearing to fight.

The villain proves to be a very powerful foe for the two, who are pushed to their limits, but none the less are unable to gain the upper hand. It is then that they recall their battle with Firiath and Cyllieth, and the power they'd shown with their special attacks. Now Ray and WS each unlock their own team special move, the Rolling Skull Drop.

Ray and WS look over their handy work with pride as the police arrive and congratulate them for their accomplishment. They leave the scene, and then it is revealed that Shogun, Cyllieth, and Firiath had been watching the whole thing, making sure the two would make it out alive. They discuss whether or not Ray and WS are ready to be TFF heroes, finally coming to the agreement that they'll find out soon enough, for the nefarious Super Shrew has escaped from Awksum Prison...

14. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Fan Reaction:

Fans were mostly positive about this arc, mainly for introducing the first major new characters in some time. None the less the arc is criticized for focusing on Ray and Warrior Squirrel while Kakashi was largely unused. Artist Obi-wan Chernoble gave his views on the arc.

"I was kind of disappointed that I didn't get to draw a major battle sequence between the heroes and some terrible villain, but at the same time I did like getting to be the first to draw a new special move when I did the Rolling Skull Drop. All and all I did like the story, Ray and WS opened up a lot of new story ideas because of their ambition to try and out do I. R. Shogun and the others, which we all know, just doesn't happen."

15. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I love your imagination. That's just incredible, you wrote so many different stories and all of them were equally brilliant!
    Yet I'll have to say that this story was (for me) the most fun to read - and not only because of the bad mad man hijacking a bus full of blind adorable orphans. Cyllíeth and I using our trainees as pack mules... Well, if we ever had to train someone, we'd most probably do that!
    Firi-Flurry, Cyllieth-Rocket-Fist, the Shrieking Terror Drop - just brilliant!

16. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, me and the boys are pretty much relying on that to get through the Alamo Jackson film series, after that we don't need to make good movies anymore, so it'll all be good. And I figured you'd like the names of the moves, you kind of get a knack for that stuff when you play as many video games based around fighting as I have. I also have the benefit of knowing Kitten Champion, whose parodies of famous stories inspire me to no end. I'm really looking forward to the next two stories, just because I get to write for Super Shrew, who I haven't mentioned in ages.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  17. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Crisis on Infinite TFFs:

When a space shuttle crash lands on the beaches of lower Spamopolis, and the pilot is revealed to be a man claiming to be Dragn 9, the heroes of TFF know they're in for a new explosive adventure, they never could have known, that wouldn't even begin to describe it.

When the man explains his story, that he's from another dimension, one which has been destroyed by a cosmic terror the likes of which this TFF has never seen, the heroes are at first unsure, until this Dragn 9 and the normal one share a distinctive birth mark. The other heroes no longer doubting him, the alter Dragn 9 explains that the evil Doom Star* has been rampaging through the multiverse, destroying every TFF he came to before any defense force could be made.

Now the remaining TFFs needed band together if they wanted to save TFF from the intergalactic threat of the Doom Star. With this revelation all of the heroes are transported to Out-TFF where they meet their remaining counterparts, as well as the many versions of all of the villains of TFF. Apparently the evil doers, many of whom seek the death of TFF, insist on being the ones to do it themselves, and thus have joined the fight against the Doom Star.

It is now that we learn the face of the being who has united all of the heroes in the fight against the Doom Star, the Anti-Doom Star who while much less powerful that the Doom Star, still has some significant cosmic power, and we also learn his plan to seal the many TFFs off from each other once this crisis is averted, to make sure such an event cannot happen ever again.

Several issues pass, mostly focusing on the interactions between the many versions of the various major players in TFF, this is mostly used for filler and because the writers wanted to use some foreshadowing as to several TFF shaking events that will occur in the future.

Finally we gain our first view of the terrible Doom Star. A chaotic battle ensues between the heroes and villains of TFF and the Doom Star. This sequence involved more two page super spreads than even some full story arcs, in an attempt to allow readers to understand the full scope of the conflict.

The battle ends in defeat for the defenders of the TFFs when the Doom Star reveals it's Destructo-Beam Canon, a weapon which immediately vaporizes outer TFF, had it not been for the timely intervention of the Anti-Doom Star the heroes would all have died right then and there. They have no time to celebrate however, as the Doom Star has already reached TFF 5(the one they were on at this point).

The heroes are nearly powerless to fight the terrible being at this point, and would have been fully incinerated by the Destructo-Beam Canon, had it not been for the noble sacrifice of TFF 3(the one we're familiar with)'s Via Amarath, Lillith Forbid, and Dragn 9. Their sacrifice would allow the others to have some time to recover, but it seems as if this is the end for the three beloved characters.

The sacrifice of the three noble TFFers created a shield around TFF 5 that held out against the Doom Star's assault for several days. The defenders use this time to try to formulate some sort of plan against the menace, but it is to little avail, they can't come up with a viable strategy before the Doom Star finally breaks through. The following battle is chaotic, but ends in defeat once more for the heroes, and this time it's much more devastating, as the TFF heroes and villains of TFF 5 pouring all of their power into one attack that gives the other heroes time to escape, in addition to significantly weakening the Doom Star hence forth.

Knowing that the other heroes will require some time to recover before they'll be able to fight again the I. R. Shoguns and Super Shrews all call forth their mech-bots and fly into combat with the Doom Star. While the battle is raging in space, the heroes and villains try to shake the terror of literally having seen their own deaths. None the less they know they must fight on if they don't want the sacrifices of so many thus far in vain.

After the mech bots are damaged to a point where they can no longer function the line up is switched out, the Shoguns and Super Shrews are called down to TFF 4 while those the rest went up to face off with the Doom Star. Hope among the heroes and villains seems high at first, until the Doom Star begins pulling them into itself to restore it's power. Seeing this the Super Shrews and Shoguns on the ground lose their will to fight, that is, until TFF 1, the Cold War era of TFF, I. R. Senator(the character's original name when he was created to inspire nationalism among all Americans) and Super Shrew call upon the troop rousing speech skills of their era to inspire their counter parts back into action.

The Shogun's and Super Shrews take to the air, where the only heroes who haven't been absorbed are TFF 4 versions of Meteorain and Dragon Queen, and TFF 2's version of Lillith Forbid. Before too long many of the remaining defenders are absorbed, until finally all that remain are TFF 3 I. R. Shogun, TFF 2 Lillith, TFF 3 Super Shrew, and TFF 1 I. R. Senator remain.

Seeing Lillith absorbed is more than Shogun can take, and in a blind fury he charges up for the Supreme-Shogun-Mega-Blast, seeing what his counterpart plans on doing Senator adds his energy to the attack, but all is not well, for the Doom-Star has begun charging his Destructo-Beam. The two attacks are fired simultaneously and with equal force, it seems as if neither side can push the other's beam either way, but with the Doom Star's superior stores of energy, this soon changes, and it seems as though Shogun and Senator face their final hour, that is, until Super Shrew fires a massive attack of his own into the prone back of the Doom Star, this causes a break in it's concentration allowing Shogun and Senator's blast to destroy the Doom Star, which also frees their comrades, inexplicably not causing them any harm.

In the aftermath the heroes bid farewell to their counterparts while the villains have all already gone back to their evil scheming. This leads to a particularly emotional farewell from the TFF 3 heroes to the other worlds Lilliths, Dragns, and Vias, as they believe they may never see their versions again. Once all is said and done the Anti-Doom Star appears once more to the TFF 3 heroes, explaining he is to use the last of his power to allow new life to return to Lillith, Via, and Dragn, news that is very well recieved among the heroes.

*so not a death star rip off

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  18. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Fan Reaction:

While the storyline was at times very confusing to readers, it's gigantic scale was well received. Readers especially wanted to know more about the other worlds of the TFF multiverse, a demand that was met with the "TFF Elsewhere" series that ran for several issues later on. The decision of writers to eliminate Via, Dragn, and Lillith enfuriated fans but at the same time drove sales through the roof to levels that were only matched when it was revealed that they would be returning after all. Jim Chu, project coordinator, had this to say:

"We really wanted a storyline that had the same kind of massive scope as Crisis on Infinite Earths for DC or Secret Wars for Marvel. We used Infinite Earths as our model and despite sticking with the main idea made it very much our own thing. DC staff wrote us and said that they really enjoyed the story despite how close it was to theirs, this was really nice for us because we really didn't like the thought of entering a legal battle with another company, although I think that could have made some interesting crossovers when all was said and done."

19. Firiath

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Out-TFF... I really wonder what that's like.

And yep, the death of Lillith, Via and Dragn was indeed quite... let's say confusing or making you look like that --> =/
    ... but I'm really glad the ending turned out to be different. :p

20. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    This one was less fun for me to write I gotta tell ya, luckily the next three involve either Super Shrew or zombies, so they should be much more fun.