Tales of New Secca

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Jul 11, 2010.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vash:

He didn't like it. The whole, mysterious voice on the other end thing never turned out well, but he knew that he really didn't have much of a choice. If whoever this guy was knew anything about an attempt on Lantho it meant Vash needed to meet with him, but for the first time in a long time, Vash did something smart before doing something stupid. He pulled out his work radio, dialed it in to a special frequency, and then spoke into the mic.

"I've got a tip that there's something going on and it involves Lantho, I'll keep the mic going, get the commissioner to listen in too," he said before turning around and heading back toward the dive bar he'd been at earlier in the night when he'd been busting those muggers. He turned the radio to this station rarely enough that he knew they'd be paying attention on the other end, he just wondered what this guy was going to have to tell him.

Biotechnica:

Gustav rubbed his eyes and heaved a sigh. So far the squad he'd put together was already dividing itself on faction lines. Still, he wasn't without options, and as long as the dwarf made it back in one piece then all wasn't lost, no matter how useful the rest of them could be in the future. And truth be told, he still wasn't out of options. Midnight was already dealing with the matter in her own way, and knowing how she worked it was going to be spectacular...

The Arcana Council:

"Master," said a fair elf maiden in a green cloak.

"Yes Liada?" asked the massive troll as he scribbled on a sheet of paper.

"A message has just arrived from Biotechnica. They say that there's been a hit ordered on your life," said Liada.

"My that certainly puts a damper on things doesn't it?" said Lantho, still not looking up from his desk.

"They also say that they've assembled a team to stop the assassination attempts," said Liada.

"How neighborly," said Lantho. "Anything else?"

"They want to know if we'll be allowing them into the tower," said Liada.

"You know the rules," said Lantho.

"None but magic users beyond the first level," said Liada.

"Precisely, besides, unless their team has some legitimate mages, they wouldn't have much use beyond that level, we don't employ technology anywhere but the elevators," said Lantho.

"I'll tell them master," said Liada as she turned and left.

"Excellent," said Lantho who then heaved a sigh. "Well then Dragon, let's see what the girl's got."

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Cheshire folded her hands, looking down in her lap for a moment. These little fools were really just overly full of themselves weren't they? She opened the door and got out slowly, Sypher following suit, knowing exactly where this was going. Cheshire looked up at the building and back at her partner, shaking her head. The brawler gave a sigh of relief as the re-entered the jeep and peeled out, the girl with a middle finger to the building until it was out of sight.

"Never... in all my life have I met such pricks," Her hand came down hard on the dash, her face flushed with anger. It was a strange concept that between the two, the hacker and brawler, the hacker had the real temper.

The young man, who was driving quite fairly, spoke with a soothing tone, "Look, at least they aren't going to be right there. Remember, cash! We're having to protect this Lantho guy ok?" He put a reassuring hand on her shoulder to which he received a sigh and some form of the silent treatment. It was going to be hard to work this way... He knew that much.

Eventually CnS pulled into Arcana Council territory and were immediately stopped and checked out. This time around, the crew gave no real rough entrance, Cheshire still angered and huffy, she'd stay that way for some time more than likely as a girl of stature was very capable of. Sypher, on the other hand, was just trying to get them there so she could do her thing and he could go back home to his music and fun. The two sat in the jeep for some time, not even speaking until the brawler looked over with a grin and asked, "Ready?"

Cheshire looked back with a sort of pouting face as she retrieved her gun... The face turned into the same look as her partner's, "Always," They both opened the doors, hopped out, and popped the trunk. A very large supply of gadgets and tech was retrieved as they entered, "We're here to see a Mister... Hippo or whatever," The hacker said with a smirk of mischief... And just like that, they were back to being the real CnS.

3. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Acrana Council:

One of the nearby elf mages watched CnS as they wheeled in their gear. He cocked his head awkwardly to the side as he tried to wrap his head around what they were doing. It was rare that a non-mage entered the main tower of the arcana council, and even rarer that such people brought a cart load of technology with them. As the two of them set their equipment one of them, a young human woman walked over to him and spoke, "We're here to see a Mister... Hippo or whatever."

"Hippo... hmmm, is he from one of the other towers? I don't know if I've heard of him..." said the elf.

"They're here to see master Lantho," came a response from alittle further to the left in the large open lobbey, which was lightly decorated with a few small plants and various free floating runes and images projected with simple magics. The elf mage and the two non-mages both looked over to see the pale elf maid in a green cloak known as Liada. The male elf bowed to Liada and quickly backed away.

"Yeah, Lantho, that's it, but I'm guessing you must've been expecting us," said Cheshire.

"Yes, your employer sent word to us a few moments ago, although it is usually hard for us to receive emails," said Liada as she pulled back her hood revealing a face that looked exhausted from intense study.

"Why's that? Email's been around for at least a century," said Sypher.

"This building is the most primitively stocked in the city," said Liada. "Even among other mage towers. While most towers have the bare essentials, work computers, security cameras, lights, this building only has a few elevators, and nothing else, we have to have messages opened at other towers and then sent to use via mage craft."

"Sounds like a lot of hassle," said Cheshire.

"It is, however such is the law regarding this building ever since it was first constructed. Also, I've been rude, my name is Liada," said the elf woman.

"I'm Cheshire and this is Sypher, we're CnS systems," said Cheshire.

"Ah yes the duo from the Eastern Family job, I've heard of you, but I'm afraid I'm not here bearing good news. Master Lantho has no qualms about letting you have full access to this level of the tower, however only magic users are permitted on the higher levels, so establishing a security perimeter in the tower itself will prove very difficult," said Liada.

"You're kidding? We're here to help him and he's not going to let us move up?!" hissed Cheshire.

"Unfortunately not," said Liada. "I'll have someone give you access to our security protocols, but I'm not sure how much good they'll do you unless you have someone on your team that can operate magic manuals."

"How the hell are we supposed to work without any tech in here?" said Cheshire.

"I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but as it stands unless you have someone who can... I don't know... hack magic or something this building won't be terribly useful for you," said Liada with a bow. "Again I'm sorry, but I must be going, I have other matters to attend to, but I'll return with our protocols, and I'll see if Master Lantho will allow me to assist you as far as setting anything you need up."

Eastern Family storehouse:

"So, let me get this right, there's no tech at all in the Arcana council building?" said Torgg.

"Not a bit, still, that place ain't friendly to sappers either, lots of the protective wards in there could frag a bird flying past too quick," said Smiling Tom.

"That is why we're going to need to make a stop at Vlede's cart downtown. Tom, you're going to need to plant several disruptor charges throughout the mage tower. This won't make magic unusable, but it will make it... unpredictable, for its users. This will throw them off their guard. At that point Torgg and Evaltan will create as much of a disturbance as possible at whichever location Red Eye can identify using whatever methods are available to her, which should be several if she's clever. All of this should free me up to take my shot if our understanding of the Arcana Council's protocols is correct. We'll need to make sure any firefight lasts no more than ten minutes," said Kiyoshi.

"Hell why we even here if you've got it planned out already?" asked Evaltan.

"Because there's other people that have become active in this whole scenario that we need to figure out," said Red Eye as she turned her computer around and showed the images from a gas station near the council building which showed a young hacker and brawler entering the council building. "They're called CnS systems, and from what I've been able to gather they were sent by Biotechnica, along with some other rag tag group that hasn't made their way into the tower yet."

"So you understand gentlemen, why we need to run over exactly how we're going to take care of this new issue," said Kiyoshi.

"What's the issue, two kids, so what?" asked Torgg.

"CnS are both very skilled, the biggest reason they're not on anyone's radar is that they've only done a few jobs in the past," said Red Eye.

"Most importantly one that nearly cost the Dragon a very large sum of money," said Kiyoshi. "They didn't succeed, but they are not to be taken lightly."

"Ooooh, a history," said Tom as with a flick of his wrist he sent a tiny tack forward, striking precisely where the young woman's neck was in the picture. "I guess this job's gonna be more fun than I thought."

4. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    The homemade tank rumbled up to the tower's front gate, and Wrench's team were slightly suprised to be let in instantly. Walking in to the lobby, the first thing they saw were the two HUMANS.

The two groups almost simultaneously said something to the effect of "You!" before composing themselves and acting as if that never happened.

Wrench motioned and Rift walked up to the desk, his tattooed palms slightly sweaty.

"We're here to see a man by the name of Lantho?"

The Twins stood back near Wrench, with one still carrying the shaking little Whiz.

5. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The young elf mage that CnS had first stumbled upon gave this new band the once over. Were they with the two humans that had entered earlier? They did seem to know the pair from the display that they'd shown as they entered. Either way Liada had said she'd be back, and she was much closer to the master than he was, so he figured she would be the one to answer any questions pertaining to master Lantho.

"Uh, if you go over and wait with those two the master's assistant will be with you as soon as she can," he said gesturing toward CnS. It certainly was a strange group of people that were coming in here asking about the master, the young mage could only wonder what was up.

6. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Cheshire and Sypher, in typical CnS fashion were multitasking, both setting up what they could but also complaining the entire time this was being done... More so the latter than the first.

"Dammit all! We get paid to protect someone against the top sniper in the entire city and I can't get a decent team, any tech to work with, or even up off the first fricken floor!" Cheshire tossed a wrench at the jeep and it made loud ding before falling to the ground, "This day just keeps getting better..." A large groan of pure frustration followed the short outburst.

Sypher stood, leaning against the armored vehicle, flinching as the tool slammed into the side, "Well... You always say we're the best Cheshire and I think, if we are actually the best, we can do this without all that... stuff..." He looked down, unable to finish his little pep-talk after he lost his train of thought.

"By stuff you mean decent working conditions?" She rolled her eyes and kept setting up a small, outside working station. Until they went inside where their official 'HQ' would be, this would do, "You might not care but I'm simply setting up a radar system of sorts. It will tell us if anything is coming that magic can't detect," Just then she heard the rumbling and saw the team from Biotechnica. They did not really interact further than a quick glare before going their separate ways, "I am really about to lose my temper Sypher, I can feel it!" The hacker stood and went over to the jeep, retrieving an mp3 player and plugging her ears with loud music.

The brawler decided it best to leave her be and... Well do whatever it was he should be doing. Protecting this Lantho guy... While neither a technology genius nor magic mastermind, Sypher did know a thing or two about defense systems, simply defense systems at that. While Cheshire would probably make sure there were no blind spots in the camera systems and that what little tech was there was working right, he could check for... "I'm so useless," He groaned and kicked at the dirt.

"No... you're not tough guy. You're what keeps my butt out of hot water and you know it," She could still hear over the music and pulled one earphone out, "Listen... Our main concern is the sniper chick. She's good ok? Real good. Like the great white shark of her class," Cheshire put the earphone back in and moved to another device, "However, just like a shark, if we pull her in her into close range, out of the water, she'll be nearly useless or at least at a high disadvantage..." The majority of this was processing in her partner's mind, "What I worry about most is that we aren't facing one, lone sniper. No that isn't smart and that freakin' lizard-"The Dragon" or whatever, is smart..."

"Meaning there will be more than one person and they won't be sharks?" Sypher said with a little smile.

"Yeah... Something like that," She stood and motioned to the back of the jeep, "Go ahead and get ready for combat. You still remember how to point and pull a trigger right?"

Sypher chuckled and nodded. If it had been anyone else making fun of his seeming dullness, the brawler might feel hurt, even angered, but Cheshire was different. She always had his back and visa versa. Sypher retrieved the few weapons they had, mostly a few small arms, not that either of them were any good with guns really... Just a precautionary thing.

7. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Ghost spilled everything to Vash. Names, people involved in the hit, details on some of them too. It was a very quick meeting, Vash knew the urgency of the matter, and squirmed a bit when he heard some of the names. Ghost just hopped that the mystery woman would some how pay him off for all this. And as they were both stepping out, Ghost felt he had to mention one last thing.

"Vash was it, right? If you need any more men at hand to stop the hit, I can name this pair...but one of them is a bit off the handle...."

8. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vash:

He didn't like it, but this Ghost character seemed to be in the loop pretty deep on this job in particular. Normally he would have brushed this off, but between that feeling in his guy he'd been having and the names on that list he'd mentioned earlier, this was something he really couldn't ignore.

"Vash was it, right? If you need any more men at hand to stop the hit, I can name this pair...but one of them is a bit off the handle...." said Ghost.

"If Torgg and the big dog on your list are in the same place I'm going to need as much help as I can get. And given that those two aren't going to be alone I'd say whatever help you can give me will be very necessary," said Vash. "But before you go on, there's one other cop on that list you have, and you know the one. I want you to make sure not to tell her about this. This kind of job is for runners, not cops."

"Aren't you going to be involved?" asked Ghost.

"Yeah, but I haven't been just a cop for years, I'm as much a runner as you," said Vash. "Besides, the cops in this city aren't prepared for the kind of firefight that's going to happen if I can't think of a way to stop this. Anyway, what were the names of those two you mentioned?"

"They're... old acquaintances, one's a troll mage, name of Benito, the other is an orc, you've probably heard of him, name's Ham Fist," said Ghost.

Vash could help but shake his head and chuckle, he should have guessed he'd be crossing paths with those two, after all, they'd been there when his bad feeling had started. "You're a pretty good sapper right? I mean, I've heard of you after all."

"Yeah, one of the top ten most say," said Ghost.

"I need you to make sure those two know about this and call into my precinct, 311, and that they ask for me," said Vash. "I may have a way to handle this situation after all if those two can give me a hand, along with Biotechnica's team."

After that Vash left the sapper, headed for home. This was a big matter, but it was late in the night, and early for the job. The shots wouldn't start flying tonight, but it wouldn't be too long. Tomorrow he'd go have a talk with those kids that Volvchanchin had sent, and hopefully find one of them professional enough to help him form some kind of plan.

In a moment Ghost felt his phone buzz. He picked it up but before he could say anything the voice of that woman came from the other end. "Good idea making sure Vash was the most involved, but don't forget the other names on that list. The Commissioner may wait, but the other three must be made aware. First the pistoleer, then the mage, and in two days, the king of the brawlers. Do well enough and you'll be very happy you did, I can guarantee that much."

The phone clicked as the woman hung up. Ghost was a bit dumb founded that she was able to watch him without him knowing, but he was starting to get an idea as to who it was, and if he was right, it was more an honor than anything. His phone suddenly buzzed again, this time with an email with some sort of attachment. The email itself simply said "Forward to subjects." Ghost shook his head, this woman was as spooky to him as most sappers were to normal people, but hell, she was making it easy after all...

Tony the Kid:

His groaned as he kicked his boots away and fell into his bed. His body ached from a hard day dealing with the bulls. He wasn't going to be ready for the seedier aspects of his job for a few days, and his mood wasn't lifted by the buzzing of his phone. He read over it and sighed, seemed like nobody these days could do jobs quietly anymore. He wasn't going to be doing any jobs anytime soon. So he deleted the message, but not before sending an email back that read:

"Don't care, doesn't matter how much you pay, leave me the hell alone."

9. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Ghost made more phone calls than he had in a month that day, he first went through all the names on the list and forwarded the message, in order. But not to the Commissioner as Vash hinted and as whatsherface said. Fairly quickly he got a return from Tony, and thought he might as well tell Midnight. At least he was starting to think it was her. He just wondered why she was so involved now.

He sent a quick message back to the number that called him before, alerting that Tony is a no show and asking if she is who she is. Just two days and then another call, and hopefully he would get a fat check from somebody. It was all very easy but now it was the hard part. He headed home to try and see if he had Benito's cell phone number. Ghost hadn't called Benito in forever after the incident with Ham. Ghost could still never forgive Ham.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Benito and Ham Fist's NEW apartment building
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Benito was in the bathroom, to Ham it seemed like he was always in the bathroom. Part of the reason that many of his bar fights went unstopped. Benito left his cell phone charging in the wall though. All their two suitcases were still unpacked. After the last incident they didn't know if they would have to pack up again if they were followed.

The phone started to ring. Ham never faced this scenario before. Answer the phone and get yelled at but not miss an important call, or the opposite. Ham grabbed it anyway and answered.

"Ham on the line, whaddaya need."

"........................" the caller replied

"Oh, Benny is taking a dump....so I...uhh picked up."

"Ham, give the ****ing phone to Benito now, I don't give a **** where he is or what he is doing" the caller sternly said.

"Oh damn....Ghost?........err...hold on." Ham said with a nervous twitch taking root. He never had a nervous twitch before.

"BENITOOO! GET OFF YOUR BUM AND GET YOUR PHONE!" Ham shouted almost loud enough for the whole building to hear.

And just then the bathroom door opened and Benito calmly snatched the phone from Ham Fist.

"Who is it?" he said in a droning monotone.

"Ghost, call 311 and ask for Vash, he has details on a job to stop a hit on Lantho....also keep your phone away from Ham if you ever want me to call you agian." and then Ghost ended the call.

Benito let out a sigh, he knew Lantho a bit being one of the few troll mages out there and it would be a shame if he died. He turned to a pale Ham Fist and told him it was just Ghost with a tip about a good job. Ham regained composure, and Benito started to punch a three into his phone.

10. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    This just wasn't going to work... There was no way that CnS could single-handidily stop the cities greatest sniper and whatever team she was bringing... Not here, not like this. Cheshire stood and frowned as she realised what had to be done... For the sake of money.

"Oi! Dwarves!" She made a motion for them to come over as she walked towards them, "I know as well as you do that we were put on this mission together!" The hacker stopped about midway, "And I know that we're together for a reason..." She spoke through clenched teeth but spoke nonetheless.

Sypher bit his lip, watching his partner try to break contact to a few beings who, at the moment, were probably more hated then the actual enemy. Strange how stuff like this worked out... He folded his arms and looked off towards the horizon. Somewhere out there... Is someone we're supposed to stop from doing a bad thing. Sypher didn't truly grasp the entire good versus bad and evil versus light and what not. All he knew is, if it didn't feel right in his gut, he wouldn't do it... Unless there was a lot of money involved or Cheshire made him. He wondered where the line was drawn for everyone else or if there even was one.

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Police Precinct 311:

"Hello, Precinct 311, how can we assist you?" asked the officer at the desk. Normally calls that got police attention were filed through the main police dispatch, which would lead to a more urgent response, however calls directly to the station tended to get a more relaxed greeting.

"Um, hi I spoke to officer Vash recently about something and he told me to call the station if I got any additional information?" said the gruff sounding person calling in.

"One of detective Vash's famous 'feelings' eh?" asked the officer.

"Yeah I think that's how he put it," said the caller.

"Well he's not here right now but I could take a message or I might be able to patch you through to his personal number," said the officer.

"If we could try the personal number first? It's a big thing," said the caller.

"Ah, yeah, and I do suppose Vash never has liked people knowing what he was working on," said the officer. "Give me a moment."

Vash:

His phone buzzed, he would have ignored it, but it was coming from the station, and he was expecting a call. "Hello?"

"Hey Vash, it's Benito, you met me and Ham earlier tonight?" said the voice on the other end.

"Ah yeah, Ghost called you right?" asked Vash.

"Yeah," said Benito.

"He tell you anything about why I needed you to give me a call?" asked Vash.

"Said something about stopping a hit on Lantho," said Benito.

"More or less, it's being carried out by Kiyoshi, and the security force Biotechnica sent out is full of people that are fairly green in the field, and judging by who Kiyoshi's working with they'll get eaten alive if they're not very careful, I was wondering if you and Ham could help me out on making them more careful," said Vash.

"I called you didn't I?" said Benito.

"Fair enough, meet me at that dive you guys were hanging out at tonight, I'll meet you guys there around seven pm. We're going to need to figure out some kind of function for the three of us to work with the Biotechnica group to stop this," said Vash.

The Next Day, Lantho:

The elevator dinged as the door opened and he entered the ground floor of the council tower. The various humans and dwarves and elves that made up the team that had been sent to prevent the, he assumed, rapidly approaching attempt on his life, was diffused fairly haphazardly through out the lobby of the building. He wondered if they'd slept at all since they'd arrived the day before, he supposed he couldn't really say much if they hadn't, although most of them looked quite young for their races, they really should get their rest.

As he walked toward the door he was accosted by a young human with purple hair, "Mister Lantho? I'm Cheshire of CnS systems, we're part of the group sent here to stop the hit on you."

"Ah yes, and thanks for that, although I'm sorry the tower can't be more helpful to you in that capacity," said Lantho. "But I'm sure some talented people such as yourselves should be able to handle it."

"About that, as your security detail I'm going to want to send at least one member of my team with you if you're leaving," said Cheshire.

"There'll be no need for that," said Lantho.

"You sure about that?" asked Cheshire.

"Relatively," said Lantho. "Your employer sent the details about who's conducting the alleged assault. I've met Kiyoshi once in the past. She's far too calculated to do anything too soon. My guess would be a few days when she and her team have had enough time to figure out how they'll proceed with their attack, but not enough time that you and your team could make the tower impenetrable. Furthermore, she'll want to make the hit in the tower, snipers like to keep their violence in the place where it will have the most shock value if it's a political target, or so I've been told. Anyway, she won't be likely to target me while I'm away from the tower, there's too many variables that she couldn't plan for, my multiple homes away from here for instance. Rest assured I'll be back in a few hours. Anything you need my assistant will be able to help you. Speaking of..."

Liada soon emerged from the elevator as well, "We'll be awaiting your return master, until then I'll be assisting our guests in whatever way I can."

12. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    The club was more loud because it was later in the day, it was that sort of club. It became lively at night. But the booth in corner was always quiet, the pulsing beats from the DJ were muffled and just sent vibrations every so often shaking the seats a bit. Ham and Benito were tucked in the corner booth, only Ham had a drink, but he was the sort of orc that drinks a bit often.

Vash came in and spotted them where they sat before, they greeted and started laying down more facts.

"An Arcana Council tower? You would think they would already have the most protected fort in all New Secca. Not to mention that he would be surrounded by the top mages in the city. But I suppose with Kiyoshi it is probably just a challenge." Benito opened with. He seemed to lose his lax nature for the time being. Normally Ham would be stunned by this, but he was a bit tipsy.

"Yea, all those "special" magic humans and elves should be able fend off some *hic* damned bullets..." Ham gurgled.

Benito gave him a "bite your tongue you dungus" look and continued to set some tactical ground with Vash.

"Well, I say we keep a few ground troops and fist fighters like Ham outside, trying to find any sniping spots, I can magic up some weightless force field armor for them and Lantho if worst comes to worst. Then I can manage to get around and patch up any wounded and stim-wave any foot troops who need a boost to their senses. Hopefully to I can nab a few books on illusion work and animation magic too...from their library...to rent of course. Biotech could probably whip up some turrets or something too, perhaps try to scan the area with all their gizmos..." Benito ended with a gleam in his eyes. He was thinking more about the magic he could learn than the possible profit, and Ham cared only that the music was pretty funky and everything was spinning...

13. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Much earlier that day:

Not every story is special...

Kromer sighed as he leaned heavily on the counter. He'd been working at this sh**hole burger joint for three months now and his prospects for getting out weren't looking good. He was a troll with no magic capacity and a glass jaw. There was no future for him as any kind of runner, his family didn't have the money to put him through any sort of school to teach him a trade, and he never had any interest in bartering. In other words, he was S.O.L. in this life, and if how he'd gotten to this point was any indicator, any other life.

"Hey Kromer, you want to go on break?" asked his manager, Triskae, a middle aged female dwarf.

"Yeah sure Tris," said Kromer as he lumbered out from behind the counter, punching out as he did, and then went to sit in one of the various booths that dotted the place. This was how he spent his breaks, he ate before and after work, so there was no reason for him to bother buying any food here, so he just sat and stared off into space, hoping that someday he'd figure out what he was going to do with himself to get out of this sad excuse even for poverty.

Then, as if a sign from on high, two guys, one probably either an elf or human, the other definitely an orc, walked in wearing black masks and headed right for the counter. Kromer knew what he was supposed to do, memorize any distinguishing marks, keep his head down, let them take whatever they wanted, especially since he was on break. Overall, don't be a hero.

And to be honest, he couldn't think of a single reason why he should do just that. They had guns, were probably not much better off in life than him, and they were probably street hardened. Furthermore they weren't really aiming to hurt anyone, in fact they hadn't even fired off a warning shot, although truth be told in this neighborhood there wasn't much reason for that, everyone knew what masks and guns meant.

But then he got to thinking, why the hell should these assholes get away with taking the easy way out? He was poor too but he didn't rob other people, he accepted that he was just going to have a hard time. But these guys decided they didn't have to work hard, they just had to take advantage of other people that did. They were gonna take shortcuts, well Kromer would be damned if he'd let that happen, he may not be a brawler, but all trolls were tough to some degree, these guys probably weren't too tough either if this was all they did, maybe he could take them.

"Hey, put that money down, why don't you try acting tough when someone stands up to you?" Kromer growled.

The orc and the other one stumbled for surprise when he started, but as soon as he said the words "...why don't you try acting tough..." they just looked at each other, then shrugged. When Kromer finished talking all they said was a simultaneous "Okay" as both fired their shotguns. The range was damn near point blank, Kromer wasn't wearing any armor, wasn't carrying any weapons, hadn't had any training. He was just a stupid kid in troll years when four giant holes got put right through him.

He fell heavily to the ground, blood poured from the wounds. He tried as hard as he could to heave a death rattle, but his lungs weren't letting him do that. Instead everything just slowly faded, and all he could think was that this was how he was finally getting out of this dead end job, inside a big plastic body-bag.

14. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Wrench started forward "Why yo-"

Rift was in front of her before she could say anything else.

"But of course, Cheshire. Always willing to help. Right, Wrench?" He smiled the most charming smile he could.

Wrench just stared at him for the longest time, then her shoulders relaxed, and she nodded, an annoyed but rational look on her face.

The next day, the entire team was waiting near the front door as Cheshire, as per the agreement during last night's "meeting", went in to speak with Lantho, who was supposedly coming out today. Wrench rolled her eyes as the man simply walked by Cheshire with little more than a "Don't need ya, goin fishin, comin home soon" and decided to walk up herself, to the protest of everyone, including her own team.

Planting herself in the man's way, she said, "Oh, but we're under the strong impression that it's generally an extremely bad idea to go out walking when one of the BEST ASSASSINS IN THE WORLD is after your butt. And we're here to make sure your butt stays intact."

Rift just sighed, head buried in his hands.

But as Lantho looked incredulously at the group he noticed the quivering, shaking little dwarf-man with the half-healed tattoo wounds. And he noticed potential. A lot of potential.

15. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Lantho:

The troll looked down at the dwarf woman who planted her feet without fear of him with curiosity. While it was true dwarves were impervious to magic she hardly looked like a fighter, and his reputation for finding ways around such issues surely preceded him. She spoke to him without fear, that was certainly new. And then he noticed the quivering dwarf looking fellow toward the back of the group. He could feel something bizarre about that one, a connection to the mage craft that took a different bent than anything he'd ever felt. He might have to study this one further.

"Very well then," said Lantho. "If you insist, you may send one or two of your people along with me, although I must insist it not be more than that, protecting this building is far more important than protecting one mage, regardless of his standing."

16. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I'm dying. I know I am. I have got to eat. How long have I been asleep? Where am I? Ugh

Alexandria's throat was burning as she thought of her impending death.. and she was foaming at the mouth, alone in the woods. A twig snapped and she growled in it's direction. A small animal peaked its head out at her. Elves had always attracted animals, seeing as they were no harm to them. She lunged and it let out a scream of confusion and terror. Alexandria ripped it to pieces, shoving it's raw meat into her mouth and savoring every last bight of it. Then she began to vomit profusely.

"Why?! WHY?! WHY CAN I NOT EAT THOUGH I HUNGER?!!" She fell to her knees, sobbing on the ground. Then... then the most delectable smell reached her nose. "Mmmm" she said aloud. She slowly followed the sent. Having been one of the few sappers in the High Elf family, she crept silently through the forest. An old man was sat, perched along a fallen tree, watching a fire. He appeared to be homeless. What is that delicious smell? She climbed the tree and watched the man. He was cooking nothing. Confused, Alexandria began to shake. She was so week. It'd been almost a week since she'd eaten anything. Her instincts took over her and she dropped from the tree onto the homeless man and began to bite him, tearing his skin and eating it as she did so. He yelled in horror.

From beneath a bridge she had not noticed before, five more morsels ran toward her holding fallen branches and stolen hunting knives as weapons. She looked at them with fear in her eyes and they stopped.

"Who are you?!" One of the men yelped. She looked at them with nothing but rabid hunger in her eyes.
    "Tonight, I am death." And she bit into her captive's jugular, broke his arm off, and lunged at one of the other men, biting him fiercely in the arm.
    "Get off of him!" The men began beating on Alexandria. Knowing she had met her match in her weak state she jumped as high as she could onto the lowest branch of the tree she had been perching on.
    "Get back down here!" they yelled at her.
    "No." She responded coldly, and ran so fast that she would have appeared to be flying to any other creature.

In the tree tops she devoured the human arm quickly. Her strength was returning but she would need to eat again. Then the horror set in.

I... I attacked and ate that man... what is wrong with me? A rabid cannibal... I can never return home. I must seek help.

Alexandria ran as fast as she could to find a town nearby. Sooner than she though, she stumbled upon a small village. She walked slowly into town, covered in blood, foaming at the mouth again, and shaking. A woman in the street began to scream, and everyone ran outside. The smell of them all overwhelmed her and she fainted.

----

"She's dead. She's not breathing and there's no pulse." An older man was breathing on Alexandria's face.
    "What was wrong with her?" Alexandria could smell that there was a young woman in the room before she'd even spoken.
    "Rabies. The most severe case I have ever seen, but the only explanation. Although..."
    "Yes, doctor?"
    "It could be because she's an elf. From what I hear, there has never been a recorded case of an elf contracting the rabies virus. They have a tight bond with nature, and even a rabid animal has no choice but to respect that. It's programmed in them to trust the elves, regardless of circumstance."
    "Wow... an elf. I've never even seen one before."
    "It's most peculiar." The doctor ran his hand along Alexandria's cheek bone. "I've never met an alive one, nor a dead one. I know they are pale, but she seems far too discoloured to have been dead for very long. You see this greyish tint to her skin?"

As the doctor looked up at the nurse, Alexandria's eyes flew open and her hands gripped his throat. She bit into his shoulder and snapped his neck. The nurse began to scream and ran out of the room. Alexandria ripped the man's chest open, knowing, instinctively that everything she needed was there. She ate his fresh corpse quickly, and as the same fear she'd come accustomed to washed over her... she stared at his disembodied head lying on the floor in terror, screamed to the gods and jumped out of the window.

---

When Alexandria awoke it was night time. She hadn't opened her eyes yet, but she could feel it. And then she felt something else... she felt the pressure of the dirt surrounding her, the size of her capsule, and the hunger of a thousand hungers tearing into her body. There was something else. There was strength. Strength that hadn't been there before. Strength that could lift a house and throw it, or so it felt. Using her strength, she threw her fist into the coffin and clawed her way out of the shallow grave.

Dead? I was dead... I died from rabies like our family doctor and every other doctor from a thousand miles around had said. So how do I live?

---

Alexandria shifted slightly.

"Is there anything else you'd like to know?" She said, coolly.
    "Yes, but I don't want to be made into a meal." The young, anonymous man retorted. Alexandria growled. "You still haven't told me your former name."
    "If I told you," she said slowly, and daringly. "I'd have to kill you." She smiled wryly as the man moved uncomfortably in his seat.

What Alexandria remembered of her life as Calendria was nothing but a curse. She could never return home and claim the throne. She'd spent too long of a time as savage cannibalistic beast. She was no longer Calendria.

17. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Danyo slouched in his chair. His head was lowered and his gaze was intent on what was before him. On his table sat the most important object one could conceive. His entire life had led up to this moment, from the time he was born, the struggles of the streets growing up in the Vile End, one of the worst sectors of New Secca, his time fighting other gangs when he was part of the “Fury Bros” all of whom were dead now except him, and lastly his relationship with Natalia, which had led to the death of all his friends, his brothers, and his soul. All of that had led him to this moment. To this, the most revered object he was certain had ever existed in the world.

He slowly moved his shaking hand forward to grasp the object, slowly, inch by painstaking inch. He was sweating with anticipation, but he knew that would only make the moment more glorious. As he grasped the object in his left hand, he straightened up and looked at it long and hard. It was a golden brown colour, with a glassy sheen on the outside. So beautiful Danyo almost cried, and as he brought it to his lips a tear or two did indeed fall. As soon as the first tear hit the table, the item was knocked from his hand by a troll who had slammed into Danyo’s table.

Danyo rose and threw his left fist into the troll’s mouth midway through an apology. Danyo felt teeth give way to his fist and a slight shift in the victims jaw which was accompanied by the defining crack of a broken jaw. But Danyo did not stop there. His right leg snapped out and his left fist once more lashed out, this time finding the troll’s ribs which cracked as the troll fell for Danyo had tripped him as well. Danyo leaped up and brought down with his boots on the trolls stomach, quickly knelt down and snapped both the trolls legs and arms. Danyo then stood up and smashed his table on the trolls head.

Danyo stood over his victim, everyone in the tavern was looking at him. He didn’t notice. He had only one thought now, and nothing would stop him. He walked through the crowd, who were more than eager to get out of his way. As he approached the bar he lifted all five fingers from his left hand, which caused the barkeep to stumble backwords out of fear.

“Five more of whatever it was the bastard made me spill. And five more after that.” Danyo said in a voice betraying absolutely no emotion.

The barkeep quickly got the drinks for Danyo who downed them all as fast as he could. Suddenly he became aware of his surroundings. Everyone in the tavern was staring at him. Danyo turned to them, and announced to the entire tavern, “He spilled my drink. Let that be a lesson to all of you, don’t spill a man’s drink when he’s trying to get damn well good and drunk, especially if he’s in a mood the devil himself would be frightened of, and damn well especially if that man is me.” At this Danyo turned and ordered another five shots.

18. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Vash:

Earlier:

Vash shifted uncomfortably in the all wood chair that faced the commissioner's desk. Leave it to an elf to have a chair from the first dark age. Commissioner Strongbark shifted through some papers before pushing them aside and staring down the oldest human on the force to still take regular patrols. "How long has it been since we first met Vash?" she asked.

"You tell me, when my people get old we start to forget things," said Vash. "Hell, by elven standards you're not even middle aged."

The Commissioner smiled. Vash had always been a bit of a racist, more insofar as he was generally jealous of the other races than he hated them. She'd been offended by it at first, when Vash was just transferred to New Secca from Bursem, while he was still just a patrolman. It was funny, even then Vash seemed like an old man, and he'd only been a cop for seven years. Vash was old school, whatever that meant anymore, and she'd learned to respect him in spite of his faults early on.

"It's been twenty-three years Vash. On the entire force there are only a handful of people who've been in this city and stayed cops for longer than you, and they're all awakened races. For a human to do what you do at your age is amazing," said the commissioner.

"Your point being?" asked Vash.

"You need to learn to take it easy sometimes," said the commissioner. "You're not young anymore, and this city is starting to get nastier. If you were still fresh out of Bursem you'd be doing great, but you've been here for two decades, no matter how hard you might try you can't stay as hard as you were, between time and this city being cleaner you're not the unbreakable little pit bull anymore. A troll kid got blown away in a simple snatch job earlier today, and the last few days we've been getting calls from towns near the city about some crazed elf eating people. And with that stunt you pulled last night and whatever this new 'feeling' you're working on now I'm afraid you're going to put yourself in the grave."

"We all gotta go sometime," said Vash.

"Yes, but you don't have to go as soon as you seem to be trying to," said the commissioner. "Look, I know we're not as young as we used to be, and what happened between us could have ended better, but I like to think I'm still your friend."

"You are my friend Bella. Before most other people in this city you are. But you know better than anyone that my way works. If I start taking it easy I can't be as effective as I am. People will start getting hurt. Secca will never be Bursem, but if I stop then the chances that every precinct will have to start hiring runners regularly instead of just on special jobs will go way up. And until I'm out of the picture I won't let that happen. Runners have their places in keeping the order of things, hell, with what's about to happen I'll be dealing with a lot of them. But any mercenary who becomes as important as a cop is a bad sign. I'll be the one to deal with the runners and the crooks so other cops don't have to," said Vash.

The commissioner sighed and there was a long moment of silence as she gathered her thoughts. "Just promise me you'll be careful," she finally said.

"You know I always try," said Vash.

"Alright, I trust you. But if things get too heavy, call for backup. I don't know exactly what you're working with but I've still got my ears around the city, and I have enough of an idea to know that you could use the firepower that only the force can bring," said the commissioner.

"We'll see," said Vash as he stood. "Bye for now Commissioner."

Now:

"With any luck Biotechnica's group has some hackers who are good enough to get into the security systems of some of the buildings around the mage tower, I really don't think we'll be able to have too many of our people set up on the outside," said Vash. "But there's something else. Ghost told me there's a good chance Boom is gonna be there, and if him and Torgg are in the same place things are going to get ugly, we'll need everyone we can get on the ground. That means a good lot of it is gonna be up to you Benito, you're the only person we'll have upstairs, that means you'll be the only person we'll have who can directly guard Lantho. You're gonna need a lot of shield spells, not to mention whatever Biotechnica's people have figured out."

Benito and Ham both nodded. Benito in understanding, Ham likely due to the beat going behind them. Vash nodded now too. "Anyway, we can talk about whatever I'll owe you for this later. Right now we need to be going to the tower to figure out how all of us are going to end up working together."

19. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Sypher had been awake at dawn, ready to go for whatever came out of the strange shadows that were receding outside while his partner... Had not slept a wink but was still going strong. That night, she had had no energy drinks, no big lights, and no deafening music. Only the mp3 turned down low and discipline had kept her up, defeating the night once more in her own special way. A lot had

Cheshire had at least gotten onto the not-so-bad side of the dwarf group and was now easily at work, building and setting up inside the first level. What she needed is someone who could tap into magic... Someone who could somehow find that missing link between technology and magic. Well... There were people like that, technomancers and all that bs...

"Oi! Sypher! Go get me a... Hell just go get me as much stuff as you can from the back. We're almost set up here with the short-range radar and... You don't care about tech, just go," The brawler smiled and nodded, a few minutes later he was back with a bunch of gear. This was all they needed... Finally, they could do what CnS did best, "Know thy enemy... Find their weakness... Exploit that weakness," The young girl rubbed her eyes and yawned. Maybe another 24 hours and it'd be time to sleep, "Here comes the kitty..."

The brawler watched as his partner, who had set up a sort of tiny replica of her 'office' right in the corner. A semi-circle of computers all lit up at once and there was a low whirring noise. Quickly each screen was filled with data on Kyoshi and her Mob Family, "So... This does what exactly?" The brawler motioned to all the gear.

Without looking back, Cheshire replied, "Well, I search for kinks in her armor. Not the obvious ones like close-range and her undying devotion to the eastern mob. Meanwhile, all that stuff back there keeps a sort of eye out for anyone that shouldn't be here. The mages have a pretty strict route and don't venture out from it and, aside from the dwarves, no one else should either,"

20. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Benito insisted to Vash that they take a cab to the tower, after all, Ham still felt a bit sick. The cab ride was a bit costly, usually people don't ask to go to the Arcana Tower that often. Benito stimulated Ham to at least make sure he had some perception to know if the cab was moving or not. They finaly got to the tower, it was impressive, the Council was making double dollars off of magic. Benito was somewhat disgusted by how the mages lock themselves up to meditate and don't learn magic first hand, but while their spells were probably weaker, they had a boon of spells locked away in magic tomes.

Just as they were pulling up to get dropped off, they met up with Lantho and a few others. They talked and learned he was just stepping out they introduced themselves and Lantho seemed delighted that a troll mage would be personally guarding him. Benito knew he could hold his own, Vash knew it too, but Ham would just groan at Lantho. Both Benito and Vash hoped he could sleep it off.

All three of them entered at the same time though the wide ornate entrance. They saw a slew of Humans, and a shady group that just disappeared in the back. Ham was the first to open up to them.

"****! Benny! ****! That one has a purple head! HA HA HA HA HA AH HA HAHAHAHA!" Ham Fist snorted.

Benito fiercely gave him a elbow in the gut and Ham keeled over and went into a fetal position. He then gave a proper greeting.

"Howdy Biotechnias, I'm Benito, that dunce on the floor is Ham Fist, and this merry old man is Officer Vash. We are here to lecture you on fire safety and stop an assassination." Benito opened with. A few people got his joke and made a half-grin/amused one second eyebrow raise. Most of them just looked at the trio like they were insane. Benito leaned on his cane and tried to smile at them.

"I...ahem, I am a shield mage, you can bet on what Fist here does. What sort of plan do......all of you have so far?" Benito tried to amend his botched attempt to come in with open arms.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010