Taim

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Turin, Jul 16, 2004.

1. AlgSpkr

AlgSpkr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The treory I came up with in my last reread is that Taim was replaced by Demandred. Taim was definately NOT a darkfriend when he came to Rand, he would have simply shattered the seal he gave Rand, not given it to him. But later it becomes appant that Taim switched sides, and I am thinking that that was when Demandred replaced him. Though he may have simply become jelous of Rand, and upset with the lack of honors Rand offered him.

2. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    From the Questions of the week at Tor.com
    And a question from a signing:

There are various theories along the lines that it hints that Taim is actually Asmodean. The other main theory is that he is a pawn of Ishydin.

3. Demandred

Demandred Forsaken

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i disagree with this on the basis that "IF" taim was a darkfriend and wanted to gain Rand's trust. the presenting him with one of the seals is a perfect way to do it.

so i dont think the fact that he gave the seal to rand proves conclusively that he wasnt a darkfriend at that point.

personally i beleive that he is and has been a darkfriend for a good while. possibly being turned by the 13 aes sedai and myydraal thing that hasnt been used yet. that would explain how bashere managed to lose his trail completely ( although that might never have happened, it just sounds right )

4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Well, I should add that whether or not Taim has the seal would probably have no bearing on whether or not it breaks. The disk itself is a symbol of the seal not actually the seal, and they are shattering as a result of the seals themselves breaking.

5. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well, they are focus points, it's likely that smashing them WOULD weaken/break the Seal. Their destruction was not something the DO wanted at that point, he wanted more time to weaken Randland/turn Rand. Enough were broken, 4, that the DO can directly affect the world but not enough to set off TG. I think this is deliberate, if the DO managed to break 4 then he could have continued and destroyed the others easily, with the Seals weakening he can bring more of his strength to bear. At least one of the remaining 3 is extremely brittle. The rebuttal to this argument is that when the DO was fully sealed he brought all his strength to bear, once he could touch the world he began to use some of his strength to affect the world, leaving less pressure on the Seals.

It is interesting to not that the one Taim gave to Rand still holds, we don't know about the two Moiraine left in the wagons, it is highly likely they (or at least one of them) are in the possession of Lord Dobraine, their retrieval being the motive for the attempted robberies/attempted murders. It seems SOMEBODY wants them now but we have no idea who, nor for what they want them, to keep safe or smash.

6. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Yeah taim giving the seal is not a clue of anything, I assume hes a DF if not demadred so he mey have been given the seal by one of the FS as a way of cosying up to rand. After all rand and friends cant be the only ones looking for seals and all of those were found by accident. And like unraveller (the resident wot expert) saidm the DO might not want the seal broken yet. And i dont think rand can do a damn thing if he didnt want to break, he cant channel into cuendillar and glue probably wont work so who possesses the seals is of no consequence.

Back on track with taim, when he first shows up I think he knows a bit too much for a channeler, how to detecty the ability to channel is one, such knowledge would require precice teaching or a lot of experimenting with the power, and seeing as before then the only men who could channel enough to know were false dragons its unlikely thats what taim was doing. And he has been channeling a long time and theres no sign of madness, a little suspicious to me.

So my opinion is that he is a high ranking DF, I though he was demandred at first the whol lews therin ragin whenever he was around made me think lews therin recognises, but then he started doing it with every other man channeling so it was nothing big. SO i think he is a hogh ranking DF and because of his use the DO gave him ties and one of the FS gave him tuition.

"Yes. Demandred has never posed as Mazrim Taim. All right, those of who fell over from the shock of a simple, straightforward answer can get up off the floor now. Sometimes, simple and straightforward can be the most devious of all, as any student of Aes Sedai will tell you. <Maniacal laughter from the shadows!>"

As RJ says the simple answer could be deceptive, demandred posing as taim suggestes the two are different people, if they are one in the same it would be like saying that rand is posing as the dragon reborn, 'psoing' is wording enough to get away with it, and remember RJ invented the way Aes Sedai twist the truth, why else would he make meniacle laughter after.

Not much to go on but i Like going on to irrelevant points for no reason.

I doubt taim is asmodeon, thats a weak theory, asmodeon get knife in the chest didnt he? either way he's dead. And being reincarnated as taim is unlikey as he wasnt friends with the DO at that point and Taim had already been around for a while stirring trouble in Saldaea.

7. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see you're finally recognising my (entirely self-appointed) title!

We haven't seen Demmy in any other role than as Demmy yet. The renegade Asha'man work for him and Taim. But Demmy has no personal experience of the BT, he didn't recognise Flinn at the Cleansing. But he does like to use proxies. I think Taim is one, Masema probably another.

8. AlgSpkr

AlgSpkr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The shadow had displayed quite a bit of interest in the seals, so I do not believe they would risk losing one to Rand.

9. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    interest where?

mogheiden hid one in the panarchs palace and that about it (at least as far as I've gotten). All the seals that have been broken were in the possession of the good guys. The seals themselves mean little and their breaking is inevitable, there is nothing anyone can do to stop it so basically i doubt the shadow would focus any effort on them.