Synopsis: The art of defenestration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiram Webb, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Hiram Webb

Hiram Webb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm packaging my fantasy novel to release on amazon in under a week, and I'm down to my last hurtle: The dreaded synopsis. I won't bore you with all the gory details, but I am curious - for those of you who have writer longer stories - have you had to write synopsises before (wow, is that even a word)? Have you any advice for a newb? Any words of wisdom? Heck, have you found any resources that are helpful in this area, or am I pretty much on my own with this?

2. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    All I have to say is.. don't make it too general. There's books where you read the back of it, or synopsis and it basically tells you nothing about the book.

I once read a synopsis for a fantasy book I thought looked interesting. Well the back practically just said "it contains epic fantasy and awesome fighting" and I was like... but ALL FANTASY CONTAINS THAT?!?!?!?!?! grrrrrrrrrrrr

3. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Isn't it basically a teaser? I mean, I have no experience with it, but if the title and cover catch my eye that's what I'm looking at to see if it'll interest me. Give enough info about the story for it to be interesting, but not enough to really reveal much.

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    You could try basing it on the premise of the story? That might give you a good place to start and then you can expand on it from there. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at this so maybe some more people can chime in here.....

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    First and foremost you've got to make people want to read your book, so punch it up some.

Also, please don't give away too much plot information... it kills me when I'm reading the liner notes of a book I might be interested in and it says something like, "her secret life as an assassin..."... what?!.. it's not a secret anymore!

I'm currently reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds, and if not for the teaser notes I wouldn't have picked it up.

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Read blurbs for fifty novels and take notes. If they all do something the same way copy them. Apart from that, use the active voice and remember that the blurb is advertizing copy, not a synopsis. Don't tell us the story, tease us.

7. Hiram Webb

Hiram Webb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice, guys! As it turned out I beat my head against this thing for two days, writing draft after draft of versions that I knew weren't working. Then, at the last possible moment I ran my best draft past my wife who couldn't write a paragraph of fiction to save her life, and found to my shock that she was actually rather good at this blurb stuff. Who would have thought...