Swordfighting in movies

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Anduril, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    first...you got a point there that when a lightsaber falls it seems to automatically shut down...maybe it's like shocks with an airbag...If the hilt is hit hard the lightsaber shuts down...lol

second. There are several Jedi combat moves. In defence it's better to hold it like samoerai's do, cause some fighting style is based on that. Vader is very powerful with a blade and Sith do care less for defence so he has his own style. Mace Windu also sometimes fights with one hand. Depends on the skill, like also with humans. Another reason is that lightsabers are very heavy in the classics to hold, so you'll need the strenght of both hands to keep it up. In the prequels the lightsabers don't weigh as much as in the classics, which explains why they are more dynamic cause the lightsaber is not so heavy to hold. The ironic thing is that with the hilts it's the opposite...the hilts of the prequels are a lot more heavy than the hilts of the classics

I know that David Prowse wasn't always the one fighting...I have a picture of Bob Anderson fighting in Vader's armor...you can see that his boots are different cause he doesn't have the same height as David Prowse.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  2. ThorsThunder

ThorsThunder New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But Anduril, I am not talking about one blow just to incapacitate or mame. I understand that it can happen, even though it would still be very unlikely you would hit a moving target with armor and incapacitate him in one blow even if not mortally. I am talking about fake movie scenes. Lord of the rings for instance, as well as it was made, how many orcs did they all kill with hardly any effort. Sticking to the story yes, but still in a way not straying much from other fake sword fighting scenes.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, that's coz they made that fight choreography really stink so the Yoda fight would look even better. I was so disappointed with that fight. 2 Jedi vs an awesome Sith lord, and it sucked so bad!

s for one handed vs two handed - well, even if the blades are weightless, and the hilts are nominally heavy, if the blades can't cut through each other, then it comes down to a strength for pushing and hitting thing. Two swords won't cut through each other, so if you want more power and control than the other guy, you use two hands.

ThorsThunder, concessions must be made in a movie universe of LOTR style. if you have a handful of heroes, and tens or hundreds of thousands of faceless enemies, your heroes simpyl can't get bogged down on each opponent.

And according to many historical fighting manuals (and I'd believe this), legs were a prime target for totally incapacitating a target. Smash/cut/break/cripple a leg, and the pain and inability to stand will drop you like a sack of spuds, and you're history.

Search tags for this page

coriograph wwe