Sword Quirky-ness

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by shadow25_1, Mar 22, 2004.

1. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Strider sword is perfect, my scabbard is near perfect (the straps/buckles are a little flimsy, tho) and I thought my Anduril was perfect until I noticed some of the finish coming off during cleaning (with Windex)..... I am very bummed about that, but trying to get over it. I guess from now on I will only clean the blades, not the hilts, and be very careful about it....

I am supposed to get my Gud tomorrow, and I've got my crazy glue ready to fix the pommel, just in case....

2. Exodus

Exodus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just have a few small things. My EHK slides out a little to easily from the scabbard but I have read on some threads that this is pretty common. At the tip of my LE Anduril, there seems to be a patch of something. Not very noticable, only when looked at in direct light. It seems like the rest of the blade is shiny but the patch isn't. Don't know if there is a word for this or not. Otherwise the collectibles are great.

3. Witchking of WDM

Witchking of WDM New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Glamdring has a dark spot on the cross guard, and one of the 2 areas where it rests on the brackets is now shiny with the thin layer rubbing off clean. (and yes I have tubing on the brackets) There's a small scratched groove on the blade
    and it says "made in Taiwan" :)

4. Elrohir

Elrohir Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Firstly, as has been discussed ad infinitum in other threads, there were two different sets of knives used as props, one was ivory-white and the other was yellow. UC replicated the yellow, because that is the prop they were given by New Line. In addition to that, it is obvious that the wood used was probably NOT the wood they intended to use-- it is much darker, and perhaps it was stained by the supplier when it wasn't supposed to be. Painting yellow over this color has resulted in what I believe to be a revolting shade-- it is simply unattractive in every way, and makes the overall prop replica look exceedingly cheap. Others may not think so, but as an owner of every single UC item except the Uruk Scimitar and the Shards, I feel am entitled to make such a criticism.

In general I wish UC had been given the Ivory set of knives to replicate, as displayed at Casa Loma. I think those were absolutely gorgeous, that color was the ideal color. It was truly the "White Knives" as they are commonly referred to, and matches the color in EVERY other Legolas replica (Sideshow, Toybiz, Applause, etc.).

As for blobs, I mean blobs of paint-- like you see when paint is hurriedly and unprofessionally applied. It drips and dries in a blob, rather than going on smooth.

I am giving these to my little brother, maybe he will appreciate them. Maybe I'll order another set in a year or so-- maybe the production will get better, the wood color used will be lighter, and the color will improve. Who knows, maybe they will even start using an ivory/cream paint. Or maybe I will replace the handles and paint them myself. If I had serious woodworking tools, I could certainly do a better paint job. I could also make a mold and make ceramic handles possibly. We'll seewhat happens.

5. shadow25_1

shadow25_1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey, something odd, you guys are speaking about aquarium tubing for the brackets. Funnily enough, UE anduril CAME WITH THEM! two little plastic tubes, the perfect length and fit, and their in the construction manual as well, steps on how to put em on. Also came with a little felt covered wooden block, that serves as a handle rest, the leather sits right on that.

Anyone elses anduril come with this stuff? i think it's standard.

6. noelchiew

noelchiew New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My LE anduril is missing the wooden block thing. Swordsman's looking into it for me. I do have the tubings too but they do not cover the whole length of the bracket, they are short and loose too.

7. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. Let's see...

The LE Anduril has the sun's rays further down on the blade than they should be. This was apparently fixed in the Unlimited Anduril... and that bugs the heck out of me. They should have been right for the LIMITED edition at LEAST. Oy.

The LE Anduril plaque was also a mix-up. The hooks provided are too short to support the sword if you screw the hooks all the way in. Unscrewing them a bit to get the clearance needed for Anduril's guard leaves the hooks barely in the plaque and ready to fall out without any weight on them. I had to make new hooks for this. The pre-drilled holes for the hooks were also too close together for the blade to fit, requiring the hooks to be bent outward... oy vey.

The first Ranger I received had the finish missing from both ends of the guard. It looked silly, having most of the guard be one color but the tips an unfinished/unpainted silver. That one went back and I got a proper replacement.

Everything else has been really good. I have not yet gotten a Hadhafang, and I'm almost dreading it... I've heard of numerous problems with that one.

8. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I have Hadhafang and I have no problems what-so-ever. :cool:

It's just a simple table mount.

9. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    There's all sorts of flaws on my LE Andúril: firstly, one of the crescent moons looks like it's pregnant, or something. That bothers me a lot. Then, both rune lines are a bit off center. The golden wing on my plaque has no gold on one side. There is missing a chip of wood at the back of the plaque. Some of the screwhole on the backside are missing. Then the gold of my both sun-dots are painted by some interim; the are done sooo messy! Furthermore, there are some rough details between the Tengwar and the golden inlays, which could have been fitted a bit better, anyway. There are some sharp edges to the triangle, too. My sword is bent a little (to the trained eye) and the surfaces are anything but completely smooth and flat. There are definately some humps and bumps in the metal, if you look across.

Did I mention that I am very happy with my Andúril?

10. shadow25_1

shadow25_1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey, i just noticed something, well, actually, i noticed it about 2 months ago. The LE Anduril plaque is exactly the same armor plate design that Brego (aragorn's horse from the movie) wears to the Morannon (Black Gate) check it out. Its a horses headpiece that the sword is mounted on, lol. I love the UE plaque, for all it's plain-ness

11. Belarius

Belarius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have strider's ranger sword and the fuller is not going exactly down the middle of the blade and there is also some minor defects on the hilt of the sword as well, but other than that the sword's quality is fantastic.

12. Baker

Baker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The antique finish of my ranger sword is wearing off, and the entire crossgaurd wobbles a bit, nothing too major, but honestly...