Sword Fighting Attitude

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Gavaha, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would like to talk about swordfighting and attitudes.
    You should have a good attitude while fighting, do not fight out of rage of a hit, loss or anything else, for it does no good. You should have a good attitude, even though you know you are going against a formidible opponent and probably will lose, for a better attitude will improve your fighting. Do you think if you have a attitude of "I am going to lose" will help you fight? I think not.

If someone makes a hit and causes you pain, most of the time it is an accident. DONT take on a attitude of "I am going to get back at him for that". That is not what you should do.

2. Reverse Blade

Reverse Blade Master of Hiten Mitsurugi

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That is very true. I don't do any sword fighting, (although I would like to do Kendo, I love Japanese swords) when i did martial arts and i was fighting someone, they might get mad and start wildly punching or whatever. Then they'd leave themself open and get hit.

3. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i once was sword fighting with my bro (mw and him insepreable) and he cut my hand got very VERY angry and hit his breast plate so hard it broke Had to buy him a new one for 800 euro:eek:

4. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    oh, well, that what happens when you don't control anger. Remember, he prob didn't mean it.

5. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I guess your right and his breast plate was crappy also

6. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    lol....that's so funny

7. prancingponyregular

prancingponyregular New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    really is funny:)

only experience of anger (i guess there wasnt even really any anger so just anger was mentioned) in fighting that i have (strange how it doesnt really happen that much) was when i was practicing shaolin kungfu with my friend when we were teenagers, he had just knocked me out and when i got up he wouldnt carry on sparring, he goes like "i see anger in your eyes". cheezy or what?!?!? i took the piss out of him for weeks about that.

8. Lady Swartt Sixclaw

Lady Swartt Sixclaw New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I learned my lesson about anger when a kid insulted me, and I gave him a good punch in the stomach. I beat the crap out of him, but I got a BIG penalty from the school. I learned that anger just doesn't solve anything. Now, I handle stuff like that better.

9. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anger makes your body stronger, but it really screws up how you think, so while you may be slightly stronger while angry, you just open yourself up to a good beating by someone who really knows what they are doing.

10. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In the Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi speaks many times of thinking of only to strike the opponent down.

11. NorthFire

NorthFire Consort of Shadows

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Too true.

One time two friends of mine were sparring and I was only half watching. Next thing I knew one friend was cursing and bleeding. After a day or two and a couple stiches he gave him a piece of his mind.

12. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Don't "play fight" with someone with whom you are angry with. Accidents happen that way.

13. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    my brother and I were just playing around with these replica gladius swords that we made. and he gave me a good bruise and needless to say he got what was coming for him.

14. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    So, someone else read it... It's really good, makes you think, that book doesn't it?

Anyway, Musashi wrote also in this book that the best attitude is no attitude! That may sound strange, but he says that by by showing an attitude the enemy has the opportunity to look into you. The brave are bound to take up initiative, the one seeking revenge will chop with more anger. Don't give your enemy that advantage and clear yourself of any visible emotion (or any, indeed), he writes.

For normal people, I guess not showing fear is a good way to start. Musashi also said that in general the true way of the warrior is the acceptance of death. Not that goes into play in sports or re-enactments, but fear always plays a role in swordfights. Try to block this emotion, your cut and accuracy is bound to drop when frightened. I think, that's a start.

For those of you, wanting to know more about our Samurai from the past, Here is the complete text of the book(s). It doesn't matter what sword you wield, it could be applied to a great many of sports and swordfighting in particular.

15. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    anger and sharp pointy things = pain all around

Ive only gotten angry few time sparring it doent make you fight any bettr and tends to make you more reckless.
    I tend to be very very very dispasionate when I spar. in fact i had a guy remoark the my not smiling fighitg was kinda scary so I started grinnnnig like a demon when I was faced off with him.
    when your angry or other wise impassioned your not thinkg as cleary as if ou are dispassionate. You give away more clues through postures and facial expresions.
    I was train this guy who every tjime he was about to striek he would grit his teeth and look lik ehe was about to bash teh livving daylights out of me, which made it more easy to void his attacks.
    here should only be action and intnt when fighitng no emotions.