Sword Designs

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Timber_Wolf, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Wild Turkey I will keep that in mind on the other ones as well. The designs themselves were not base on any real cultures but actually I got the idea of the form from anime(japnese cartoon). The diffrent Hilts were evolving from one to another. The top two go together and the bottom two go together.

Orignally I was going to ask everyone to vote on each one. I was going for on the names with Tensi for a angelic feeling and Tenso for a darker feeling. If the names mean something please tell me because I don't want to name them something and have it mean something bad.

Note the names were to be japanese

2. The Wild Turkey

The Wild Turkey Accept no susbstitute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tensi spelt the way it is I don't think is a Japanese word, the syllables aren't right. tenshi means angel, angelic, heavenly etc. I don't know about tenso. The online translation site I normally use is currently down and the only book I've got doesn't list it, but that's only conversational japanese and not very comprehensive.

Have you tried drawing some patterns that could be engraved on the blades? That could help give some real character to the swords.

3. SEVENWOLVES

SEVENWOLVES GET READY FOR PUNISHMENT

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    man, i like all the swords. personally i like the first the best, its fit for a king!!
    Well done, you also design spears?

4. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wild Turkey
    I really wasn’t going for a direct word but more as covering my bases incase it really did mean something. I have tried but let’s just say that a lot of time the engravings have the same look to each of them.

King of Wolves
    I do try to make spears as well as axes, knives and other more unique weapon designs.
    I haven’t posted them up but if people would like to see them. I would say that they were designed as more artist than functional.

5. The Wild Turkey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's good that you don't wish to make up a word that already exists, but if you want your word to sound Japanese, then it has to comply with the rules of the language, otherwise it would be like trying to pass off a word like "xbtytblenazd" as english. It just doesn't fit.

That's a shame about the engravings. Most of the historical swords I've studied have been exemplified by the patterns engraved on the blades more than anything else. I own a reproduction of an 1828 officers sword and the patterning it has on the blade is beyond beautiful, not to mention the royal crest it had engraved halfway along the blade. There's a lot of symbology that comes with coats of arms that aren't necessarily limited to abstract patterns. Take the rampant lion of england for example. Richard I wasn't known as 'lionheart' for no reason.

6. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought about that and you’re right. I guess it is more that it is very difficult to come up with names sometimes especially when you trying to not make it not sound stupid.
    Also yeah the engravings do enhance the sword but when creating it I get so far then I have a hard time coming up with new forms to add to it than repeating the pattern over and over again. When I am thinking about the blades I think more on the view that they will be modeled instead of being made so there is a good chance that the really fine detail will not be seen.

7. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I haven't posted in a while so here is a more interesting weapon that I have done. It is defintly unrealistic but hey at least it looks cool.

Attached Files:

• Ax.jpg
      Ax.jpg
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
  8. The Wild Turkey

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is that a halberd? It could be usefull against an armoured opponent, like a giant can opener. ;)

9. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it was designed to open giant cans in an emergency.

10. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually I have a spearhead that is somewhat similar to it. I got the idea from a "Preditor; Cold War" book cover. I will try to post a pic when I can.

11. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please I would like to see it. I created mine while trying to stay awake in Psychology class by doing random sketching and this came out.

I would like to say that if anyone has designs they want to post up please do, it would be great to see some other people’s designs.

12. Orock

Orock New Member

The 'Dungeon'... otherwise known as my room... no
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These are really good... I wish I could draw like you, I'd have a hundred of these made in a week. And the Halberd isn't unrealistic, although it does have a single flaw, of the length of the blade that could be touching the shaft, there is a large amount of it that isn't... if it wasn't for that it would make an incredible weapon. But as it is if it was to be used against a heavily armored opponent that was mounted, it may be ripped loose from the shaft in a hard impact. But of course I'm talking in an actual battle situation, for looks thats as cool as you could get. Hey, if I get a good idea, you think you could draw it if I sent a desciption to you?

13. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True Orock the Halbert does have that flaw. I may think of a way to improve that since I think heavly in reality even if my designs don't look it.

I would more than happy to try and bring your ideas to a somewhat reality. I would warn however that usally the idea of the creator can never truely realized by the concept person. I would like to say also that if you give me an idea it may take some time as I am trying to graduate and I am constently on the computer doing 3d modeling.

If you get a idea just post it up here and any rough sketches you have so as to give me a better idea of the weapon. I will try my best to post it back up when I get it done.

14. Orock

Orock New Member

The 'Dungeon'... otherwise known as my room... no
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea, no worries about time... not like I'm in a big hurry. And I'm sure you'll get the weapon very close if not right on or better than what I have in my head. I'll probly be going back into a bunch of my RPing characters to see if I want any of their weapons done. I have one in mind right now in fact. I'll see about posting them soon.

15. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool I will be looking for it.

16. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  17. Timber_Wolf