Sword Designs

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Timber_Wolf, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Vazkoloth

Vazkoloth Elven Warrior/Vampire

Do you wanna know so you can track me down?HAHA-I
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You should try some kind of really whicked looking orc sword.

2. Vazkoloth

Vazkoloth Elven Warrior/Vampire

Do you wanna know so you can track me down?HAHA-I
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a hi-tech version of the elven warrior sword.Like with new hilt design's and maybe a serrated edge.

3. Grima Wormtongue

Grima Wormtongue Man in black

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice timber wolf, I am not a big fan of these kind of designs, but there very nice. You could be the next Kit Rae!
    -wormtongue

4. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the complement Wormtongue. That would be an honor for my designs to be considered at the level of Kit Rae’s designs but I do think that there is a lot more to improve on the designs before I think that they are that good.

Vazkoloth thanks for the ideas. Most of the time I create these swords out of my head rather than recreate one that already exists but I will see what I can do. Oh and the second swords in my third set of swords. Its handle is supposed to be as long as if you were holding it the handle would reach your elbow. Also I thought that Orcs blades were more basic than extravagant but I will post up my sword that was created out of the design of the pick ax which kind of goes with that style.

5. MagnaMerquise

MagnaMerquise Borne of Ash...

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like your first sword in your first post. I have this weird idea that your latest sword reminded me of. You know those metal walking canes you get from the hospital from broken legs, the ones with the additional piece going up your elbow? I'd love a sword handle like that with a shield placed over it. I hope you understand what I mean.

6. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    wow, great designs! you should make in 3d your other designs, tehy look fabulous!

7. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow I am astonished that people started to post in my thread again but I am honored as always that you all like my work. MagnaMerquise I don’t know exactly you are talking about but it does sound intriguing. If you don’t mind please give me a more detailed description and I will see what I can come up with. I need to start drawing some more designs again.

Balrog I am glad you like the designs. I do want to make them all into 3d but the problem is that I am working on my final 3d portfolio projects so that takes some time to do. I will try my best to do some more.

8. ThorsThunder

ThorsThunder New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the third one, the fourth looks abit like He-mans. I never liked him, regardless, some very cool ones. I have alot of ideas too and am an artist but do not draw them because I am not a metal worker...

9. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Most of these designs are made for my character designs and story that I am developing. But you should post them up I would love to see them. I was never much for He-man either. The fourth design which I never mentioned was developed with wood and steel as the main parts of it, just a point of reference.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  10. ThorsThunder

ThorsThunder New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh cool, who is your character? I have one too. I am looking at developing it into a comic type form. Tough to come up with sword slinging heros and be original and intriguing at the same time...

11. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He is a soldier turned mercenary. I have him with swords like you were thinking. I have him wearing four swords, two on the hips and two on the back. The way I am moving him apart from other sword users is that how he unsheathes his swords. His top sheaths split at the front so as to make removal easier.

12. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, not a fan of any of them. But then I'm into swords that combine function and fashion, not just fashion. But if they're for a fantasy character, well done for coming up with such diverse designs for hilts and crossguards and pommels.

13. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sorry that the designs I developed are not to your liking. I am however intrigued by your preference, could you give me an example. Also thanks for the complement.

14. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The swords from LOTR movies are a perfect example. They're loosely based on historical examples and styles, with stylistic differences. They look beautiful, but they're also based solidly in the world of realism.

Also being a dark ages re-enactor, I like simple designs like Norman, Saxon and Viking swords etc.

15. The Wild Turkey

The Wild Turkey Accept no susbstitute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some very interesting designs and kudos to your artistic ability. The only comment I think I can make is in terms of the length of the blade. Unless you're intending them to be Roman gladius length, in terms of geometry and balance you could possibly afford to make them 1/4-1/3 longer. That way there would be a better counter balance to such heavy hilts.

16. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I always design swords, but for some reason I never do anything with the designs.

17. Private_Ryan

Private_Ryan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah thats true... i cant afford to make tham

18. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wild Turkey thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind when I am designing the other swords. Berensonofbarahir I probably won’t use these designs for anything other than making my characters look good. Besides I don’t think I would have the money to make these designs come to life either.

19. Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf Aku Soku Zan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't post any designs in a while so here are a couple. One is a full sword with it's blade shortened so as to show off the handle more. The blade itself is a standard sword length. The other are diffrent handle designs for a pair of swords. I didn't put in the blade just because of room issues but you can at least see the tips of two of them. They were designed to be like a katana style.

Attached Files:

20. The Wild Turkey

The Wild Turkey Accept no susbstitute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some lovely work on the hilt, particularly the 'Tenso', kinda makes me think either Incan or Mayan in terms of style. I think a tsuba (the traditional japanese guard) with the same pattern would complement it very well. Also the kissaki (tip) of the one you have labelled Tensi is too short and oblique for a true nihon-to (japanese style sword). A proper kissaki looks like this

Also some good general info about japanese swords