Sword Care

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Gavaha, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey,

I would like to talk to you all about a topic thats really important, sword care. I 'll start it out by explaining sword cleaning.

You body produces oils, those oils can eat away at a blade if touched. That is why it is so important to try not to touch a blade. Example: each person's oils are acidic, but some are more acidic than someone elses. So you might have a really acidic oil, touch a blade and in 1 hour your finger prints will be acid etched on. The only way to remove that is alot of polishing.

To help keep your sword from rusting, you clean your sword after everytime it was handled, used to cut, and every month or sword you should clean it, especially wallhangers, since they easily aquire dust. If you are low on cash a basic gun oil will do fine. If you would like a nice sword cleaning kit that would really clean your sword, pm me and I'll send you a link and info. To clean your sword you want to first clean it with a tissue or rice paper. Then you want to apply a sword cleaning oil or gun oil. Then take another tissue or a cloth that would come with a sword cleaning kit and wipe it off again. Some cleaning kits, like mine, involve more steps, because they have more things to do.

Even if you have a wallhanger you want to keep it clean and do what is said above.

2. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have been using an oil I get from a Knife maker here in Arkansas. He is one of the most known makers in the region. He suggested is the same kind he uses. I have been using it for years and have never had a problem with rust, or pitting. Some swords ( depending on the area you live, are subject to hummidity ) and as Gavaha reccommended it is a good idea to wipe them down regularly. It is also a good Idea to regulate the amount of people that touch your swords. Keep an eye on them and always supervise them when they handle your swords. If anyone would like to know what kind of oil I use, just let me know.... :D

3. Reverse Blade

Reverse Blade Master of Hiten Mitsurugi

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a question, I just got a katana (a very nice one too I might add) and it came with a cleaning kit. It contains oil, rice paper, a cloth, and some kind of chalk stuff. How am I supposed to use this stuff? (you know, like in what order. I'm I'm confused about the chalk.)

4. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, there are some differents ways to do it, this is one way,

First wipe with rice paper
    then put on "chalk"
    then put oil on cloth and wipe down nicely, leaving a thin coat of oil to help protect it

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  5. Reverse Blade

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, but why chalk? What does that do for the blade?

6. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    helps keep it clean

7. Reverse Blade

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    oooooohhhhhhhh......gotcha.
    Thanks! *goes and cleans*

8. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was never really into swords until recently. At a garage sale I bought three good ones, 2 Katanas and a Toldeo sword. First, how do I tell what they are worth. second, yes I would like to know which kind of oil I should be using. With my throwing knives I just use gun oil, but I want to make sure these swords are really taken care of, its not like I will be beating them up like my knives LOL

9. hackandslash

hackandslash The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure our moderator (my friend as well) knows exactly what he's talking about. The chalk like stuff in your kit is supposed to be choji, i think. It is a very fine dust that collects when they sharpen blades. It is an abrasive so it is used to remove small knicks and marks on blades. However, more likely the "chalk" in yours is just talc or something like that, because the real stuff is expensive and rare.

10. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    which is true, but I refered to it as chalk becuase that is what it is closet to.

11. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I bought a katana from a man at the fair on the pier here in Oceanside, and he did not explain at all where I could get proper cleaning things for it. So I just use a formula used to clean glasses. Is that ok?

12. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know, since I do not know whats in it. If you are unsure, just use gun oil. Works well and is cheap.

13. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hmm..it's just a lenscrafters glasses cleanser.

If I needed to get gun cleanser, where would I find it?

14. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    shouldn't be too hard to find, maybe a hunting store, sword stores have em, its not really a special item. You shouldn't have a hard time.

15. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    oh, also there is a thread about whos using what in the W&A if you want to check it out.