Sword at Bag End

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by sewer urchin, Feb 5, 2004.

1. sewer urchin

sewer urchin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All right weapon gurus, here's the challenge:

Identify the broken sword (and sheath) hanging on the wall in Bag End near the end of ROTK that is shown during the scene where Frodo is sitting at Bilbo's old writing desk. The blade is broken near the lower end, the guard is curved with a slight radius and the grip is covered with leather almost to the pommel. The blade does not appear to have any scallop near the upper end nor any curve along its entire length. It is not of Rohan or Elvish origin, it is not Strider's Ranger sword, Gandalf's sword Glamdring and the upper blade doesn't look broad enough to be Boromir's sword. Perhaps Faramir?

We all know that Peter Jackson didn't just choose a random prop to frame the background shot behind Frodo. Anybody have an idea?

2. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it might be the orc sword that Sam & Frodo pick up as part of their disguises when the march towards mount doom.

3. Anduin

Anduin Numenorean

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ditto!

4. gandalf23

gandalf23 The White Wizard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my thought is that it resembles an easterling sword. but i doubt that is that, nor an orc sword. I think it may be some random sword bilbo picked up on one of his adventures...back in the days of the Hobbit.
    Maybe they will put this in the Hobbit when they make the movie. Bilbo will pick it up somewhere and then they will have a scene where he puts it up on the wall back at Bag End...

5. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Is it Orcrish? though they never explained what happened to it.

6. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    this has already been covered in a different thread started by me....
    The upper one is easterling and the lower one yes is broken but not faramirs, I think it is just a random prop.....

7. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    wow...i was totally wrong

i kinnda thought it was Glamdring...and i only thought there was one sword :eek:

8. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This is at least the third thread started about this subject here.

The most commonly accepted answer is that the sword on the left (that's not broken, btw) is Gandalf's Riding Sword, seen briefly in FotR. The one on the right is an Easterling or Haradrim scimitar, similar to the one stuck in the ground next to Merry when Pippin finds him on the Pelennor. There is no sheath.

9. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yes gud you are right about the no sheath thing and it being either easterling or haradrim, but the tip is broken on the other and I don't beleive it to be the Wks/riding sword. Now the riding sword that gandalf had was the wks you can clearly see the hilt as he dismounts at Isenguard and in the Wepons and Warfare book when it talks about the none kings, the very first king has a sword on and the hilt looks identical to the riding sword. Why pj gave gandalf Wks sword I don't know, maybe it was just an accident, but the sword on the wall at bagend I do not beleive to be it, and I am sure the last two to three inches of the tip were broken. I have not seen the EE versions but if someone has seen this sword somewhere else then you may know more about it than me.

10. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No it isn't Orcrist cuz the way i remember it, Thorin took it to his grave. It looked to me like the sword taken from the Mordor Orcs from Cirith Ungol, although in the book these swords were placed on a display of honor in Minas Tirith, along with the armor they wore too.

11. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thats what happend in the book, and by the way they dropped those swords and armour on the way to mount doom.

12. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to pay better atention next time I see it.

13. Thorin

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, im still reading the hobbit... almost at the battle of the 5 armies... so i'll find out soon :)

14. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    At first I thought it was an easterling sword to, but when i seen the movie a second tie i noticed the handle was different. The pommel rather, as apposed to the sname head on the sword it had a cresent shape i believe... Then I thought maybe an orc weapon, but they didnt carry it with them as you can see in teh movie, nor would he want to to be reminded of such an ordeal. Its no major characters sword not belong to any race i can think of or match to the movie. The only peoples weapons i didnt geta look at where the haradroim... But how would frod get something like that?

So I really dont know what sword that was, but ill be glad when somebody finally cracks it.

15. ERUMATAR

ERUMATAR Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe Frodo bought it in BBB.Is it from United Cutlery? did UC exist in that times? Is swordsman one of the Ringwraiths? Gud Daetheloth a hobbit? interesting questions I think...more next week

Stay tuned... :monkeydan :monkeydan :draught: :pukeonyou

16. Thorin

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In the "Hobbit" it says that when he got home he hung his sword over the fireplace...

17. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually I thought of something.... In the weapons and warfare book i was just taking a quick glance threw it and in the "orcs of mordor" section near the back there was a sword there that may have been the one in question. I'll have to wait till i see the movie again to be sure though. It looked very similiar to what i remember. It was in a box talking about how some orcs traded stuff or picked up things from easterlings and (another race that i dont recall) Maybe somebody did just happen to pick it up. Im hoping it'll be in the EE or something. It seems to be bugging a bunch of people.

18. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I still go with my theory, that they are from Bilbo's advnture. One of course being a Goblin sword, and the other being from the men of Lake Town. The non-orc sword as I remembered it looked like a langsax or seax, a very long viking type of weapon which was sharpened on one side and had a very distinct pointed tip. Here's a picture of one I think looks very similar.
    [​IMG]

If it had a curved crossguard, I think it would be almost dead on. I don't see the elves ever making a sword like this, but since we haven't seen what type of weaponry the men of Lake Town have, maybe it would be one of their swords.

19. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it was a viking type sword at all it seemed to me as if the tip was broken and the guard had vurving quillions with a leather wrapped handle......

20. telcontar_63

telcontar_63 Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe Bilbo had gotten from someone who got it from the Bullroarer's days.

Search tags for this page

was striders sword in bag end