Switzerland flag issue

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    What's your opinion on this?

http://tundratabloids.com/2011/09/immigrants-want-removal-of-cross-from-swiss-national-flag.html

The Swiss cross should be abolished. The demands of the immigrant second generation immigrants Plus Association. ”The Swiss flag is no longer today’s multicultural Switzerland,” says Petrusic.

The cross had a Christian background. The Christian origin of Switzerland, it is true indeed respected, “but it is also a separation between religion and state to make,” asks the Executive Member of secondos Plus. ”Apart from that we have today a great religious and cultural diversity in Switzerland.”

It needs new symbols, which could also identify with everyone, even non-Christians. As a new national flag might offer the former flag of the Helvetic Republic. This was officially introduced in 1799 and consisted of the colors quergesteift green, red, yellow.

What the heck?Are immigrants to be controling the traditions and ways of life of a country?

2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    In my opinion this is absolutely stupid. You can't just change a flag because something has changed in a state over a couple of decades. Even if it's "just" (for all the atheists here) a religious symbol that needs to be changed because a group of people doesn't agree with it, it is still a part of the country's history and culture. You can't just erase that.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    It's just a flag... So you could say that the ones trying to keep the flag are whining about it... Then again you could say that the immigrants are whining about it. I do agree with one thing. If the flag is so important then it should represent what it stands for. But I for myself don't know enought about Switzerland to debate about this. I wouldn't give a rats ass if they changed the Belgian flag. In fact it's highly possibly if they are going to split Belgium in two. Changing the flag doesn't change much. You think Germany never changed its flag... Or Belgium... Or even America, which the Union Jack on it at one point. The Christian background of Switzerland will always be part of its history whether its shown on the flag or not, so it's pretty irrelivent if that cross is on the flag or not. There are other countries with crosses, but they're not as obvious as being 'Christian' if you look at the Scottish flag. Even Tori doesn't know if that is suppose to be Christian. And of course that is also shown on the 'Union Jack'. And I know the flag of England has the crusader cross. But hey that is evolution for you... That is how countries evolve... I mean if you think immigrants started to show up recently in the 20th century starting with the muslims... We're all of a mix... Such a giant mix of people. Vikings with Picts, which is what Scotland is today. But the greater change is the mix of religion and that is when people get offended.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Zurich is one of the cities I want to visit most in the World but I swear to God if they change the flag I will never visit it or the country period. It's completely stupid.

And you can't compare Germany changing its flag to a different country changing its :D And America didn't change its flag since it became an independent country, it just changed the number of stars according to how many states there are. I don't think that really counts as changing it. This is beyond stupid.

And on the other hand this looks like a Muslim hate website so we can't be sure how credible it is.

5. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
  6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    So? It was still America... But you are saying that it didn't represent an independant America... In other words it didn't represent the country in its current state.... See my point? There are more countries who changed their flags... That's change, but many people don't like change...

7. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't a country it was a colony, there is a difference. When a country gains independence it is supposed to change its flag. Did switzerland gain independence? no.

8. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I think the Swiss ought to change the flag to something more appropriate, more in keeping with their response to world events during the last century... how about a silhouette of a man running from a fight... or a man hiding his face while the world goes to hell in a hand basket. Screw the Swiss.

Can anyone tell me when Switzerland finally gave women the right to vote?
    That will tell you everything you ever needed to know about the Swiss.

9. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I think that's highly inappropriate. If their flag was to represent their neutrality, they'd need this picture on it:

http://ragefac.es/faces/966412cc1838c13ee0349b4a05a17802.png

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I never saw that set in stone that it had to change its flag. Why didn't you keep the union jack as it is part of the history of America.... Same as how the Swiss kept the cross for their Christian background... It's part of their history. The point is that the country or whatever it was/is went through a large change and it doesn't represent what the country is. Just as America adds another star as it gains a state. It's a subtle change, but a change nonetheless. I never said that the swiss should remove the Christian cross, but that doesn't mean they can't change their flag if they feel it doesn't represent their country anymore.

12. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Out of curiosity, why do you want to visit it so much?

Too right. This strikes me as a complete non-story; I had a look at some British newspapers with good international news and a couple of French ones and I couldn't find any reputable source which mentioned it.

Always good to read a piece of sophisticated political analysis :rolleyes:.

13. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Okay they're not the best reasons but... :D
    1) That's where the Bourne Identity started
    2) There's a good song about Zurich.
    3) It looks like an awesom city :D
    4) Great name :D

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Kakashi: You just wanna check your gold deposits,that's all! :p

On a funny sidenote,my country for some reason,since we declared ourselves independent from the Turks in the 18th century we kept changing the flag from the normal one with the white cross on the blue background to the sea flag,the one with the stripes for periods of times.I don't know why.Changed it liked that,then adopted the sea one again then the normal one,then the sea one,then the normal one and then the striped one again....what the heck.Well at least I have both types.

15. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Shame on Tori, even the english knew that ;) Incidentally it's the Union Flag not Union Jack, Union Jack is used for maritime usage.

Anyway Swiss flag change suggestion is stupid, it's their national flag. Similarly if/when Scotland chooses independence at some point in the future the saltire won't be disassembled from the Union Flag, we'll keep it as it is and they'll fly the saltire.

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Basically she scoffed at your comment saying 'Everyone calls it the Union Jack...':p

17. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I don't.. bang goes that "everyone" claim.. perhaps I was brought up peculiarly? Or properly? :D

Anyway this is slightly O/T to thread topic.

18. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    I think the consensus is that it's not a credible news story, but if it is its absolute bullshit :D

if you want to turn this into a convo about different flag issues, go ahead :D

19. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I really wonder what would these immigrants say if the Christians or others in their countries asked for a flag change.At least here even those who are not so
    pro-Christian or love ancient Greece more than Byzantium still consider and proudly hold the flag with the cross(both types)without complaining.The ones who sometimes "change" the emblem sometimes are the leftists in some posters or propaganda pictures of theirs where they put the silk and hammer instead of the cross.And that's where I get angry.

20. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'd suggest producing credible evidence that a significant number of immigrants want to change the flag before bothering to get angry, Foi.

(I also knew the difference between the Union Flag and the Union Jack BTW - it's mentioned in an episode of Doctor Who.)

Search tags for this page

funny face png