SW: sci-fi, fantasy, or both?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by RavenRock, Mar 19, 2006.

1. RavenRock

RavenRock New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard some people catagorize SW as science fiction, some fantasy. I think it's both. To me, science fiction emphasizes technology, whereas fantasy emphasizes magic. I would say SW emphasizes technology more than magic, but the Force is definitely a magical energy. In TPM, Qui-Gon tries to give The Force a somewhat scientific explaination when he's talking about the Midi-chlorians to Anakin, and then Obi-Wan is measuring the amount of Midi-chlorians in Anakin's blood, but they don't quite have it down to a science. :ufo: :dragon:

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I always thought it was a historical docu-drama that happened a long, long time a go in a galaxy far, far away..

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    the fact that this story could take place any time, any place makes it more a fantasy film than a sci-fiction film...you could change the millenium falcon in a boat...you could make the planets, areas of middle-earth even! coruscant...gondor...lol...it won't change the story. lightsabers could be made into swords...it won't change the story...with a sci-fiction like star trek it depends on technology a lot more than in Star Wars, without technology star trek would be nothing. Without technology in Star Wars you would still have a good story.

4. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I'd say both. It certainly fits into both catagories.

Now that you mention TPM, I thought it a bit odd that they tried to give a scientific explanation of the Force. In the old trilogy, the Force always had a sort of mysterious quality I thought, as did those who used it or were most affected by it. Now however, we know that midi-chlorians, which are basically just mysterious organisms if you will, are microscopic lifeforms which communicate with the Force, and with which, life itself could not exist. Science is cool and all for the most part, but somethings just don't need that kind of explanation. The Force is one of those things I think. I guess this is a pretty discussed topic as is though...

5. Elkean

Elkean New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    It's both, a fantasy in space and a science-fiction story.

6. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    anakin some very good points. :)

in my opinion it is more of a fantasy than a sci-fi movie. i see sci-fi as a different plot and ideas, like anakin said i.e. star trek.

7. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I dont think that the story is all that unreallistic, I mean the only parts that really couldnt be real (yet) Would be the Lightsabers, blaster rifles, and space travel to different planets. Other than that the story line could be very real. Like Anakin said you could switch things around and you still got a good story. I agree with it being fantasy, and not so much Sci/fi

8. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    the story isnt* not is