Susan Boyle...

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by Jorick, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Why does everyone have to be obsessed with this woman? I swear, I can't turn on the TV without some moronic breaking news update about her coming up within 15 minutes. And the internet is worse! Every day I've perused new sites recently, one of the top stories were about her. Seriously people, get over it. Ugly people can sing too. And her whole "I've never been given a chance" spiel that people are getting so sappy over... Watch a few audition episodes of one of the [country here]'s Got Talent shows and you'll see tons of them.

I get the whole "omg, she has a great voice!" thing. But it's old now. Tons of people have awesome voices. And there are major problems with making such a big deal out of this particular singer. First off, she's just weird. It's not charming, she's just a weird person. Her type of singing, while nice, is not necessarily marketable nowadays. Do you see any superstars with a similar voice out there already? No. It's not because she's unique, it's because they're perfect for Broadway and operas and the like, not being regular musical artists. And her looks and age would hamper that kind of career, too.

Honestly, this whole situation strikes me as insulting. If it had been a hot 20 year old with this kind of voice, it wouldn't have made a national sensation. It would have gotten the same kind of coverage other good singers on competition shows get: one small story about the person and then returning to real news. Rather than this being a story of someone overcoming perception, this seems like disgusting rudeness to me. They're making the story about her being ugly, not about her having a great voice. I feel sorry for her, honestly. Would you like it if you're getting worldwide media coverage for being grotesque? It's stupid and needs to stop.

[/rant]

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    welcome to the UK we like the underdog in a competition
    and at the moment you don't get more underdog that her in the lineup - she is not young, not stunning to look and yet she has a skill

And yes there are many others like her - but the media is a complex creature but it focuses on single areas - and she is one of them. Its rather like the recent case with that woman from Big Brother who got cancer - many people suffer and die from it every year sadly, and yet she was the icon that she made herself and that the media took up

3. I_Saw_Eden_Burn

I_Saw_Eden_Burn Moonchild

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

They're now making a stage musical of Jade Goody's life. The world has gone truly mad...

4. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I saw that & thought "wtf" ~ not wishing to speak ill of the departed, she was a nobody, a reality tv 'z-list celebrity'. The big-screen-tvs and flower strewn funeral was bad enough but a tv talent show to find another suitable nobody, to play a nobody in a musical is just mind-numbing :eek:

On the Susan Boyle story, this was semi-interesting:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8011697.stm

I'd agree with Overread, find us a valiant loser or an underdog and we'll back it :D

5. Kally

Kally Driving my own destiny.

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Hee hee... you just did it yourself.... You're your own worst enemy! lol xxx sorry but it was the first thing i noticed when reading it hehe..

but that aside, I do aggree with you though, its getting over-rated. it basically the same as George Sampson last year, nobody thought he would make it. never mind the fact that he did lol. He was just a kid and it was all over the news and web.

6. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Are you kidding me? We in the US have the biggest underdog complex of anyone. Look at who we picked for our president: the guy who was the underdog in his party race and then the underdog in the main one!

You're right! Damn me... :p

7. Raff the Sweetling

Raff the Sweetling Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I hate Susan Boyle with every fiber of my being.

8. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I can actually sort of understand where you're coming from.

However, I hope that you're not hating on Susan Boyle.

'cause if you are, we're gonna have a flame war.

9. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Not at all. I'm hating on the people who make a huge deal over it. Like I said, it's insulting that she's a hit because she's ugly.

I have nothing against Susan Boyle as a person or a singer. I think she's pretty good. But you might need to have said flame war with Raff, he apparently hates her with every fiber of his being. :p

10. Raff the Sweetling

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Thats right, I said it. EVERY FIBER!!! (especially my eye fibers)

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I no longer have a quarrel with you.

@ Raff: I believe that you've repeatedly made several pro-Cersei posts, good sir. Your opinion has just been invalidated in the eyes of the sane world. :D

12. Raff the Sweetling

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0