Summer or Winter?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Foinikas, Jul 7, 2008.

?

Summer or Winter?

1. Summer

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Winter

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Actually no, aging causes wrinkles aswell e.g. Glycation.

Blackness: Yea and? The sun is also good for you.

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yes it does, but not deep wrinkles. You can get wrinkles around your eyes aka laughter lines, but those are natural. But only through sun damage can your face look like an official road map, yeesh lol

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well I don't totally avoid the sun like Tori's sister, who even used an umbrella to hide her skin from the sun. I walk in the city and don't try to hide in the shadows always lol. I just don't sunbathe.

4. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
  5. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Lol Cici you can't just OD on milk for the lack of Vitamin D you would normally acquire form sunlight.

Glycation does cause deep wrinkles. AGEs can cause deep wrinkles and it is a form of glycation (Advanced Glycation Endproduct).

There is something called moderation. If you moderate the amount of time you are in the sun, you don't have to get serious skin damage as it keeps being said.

Many older relatives back in India have been exposed to the sun for a long time, but their skin is pretty good for a person that age. You're making it sound like the sun is a bad thing. I would rather be exposed to the sun that try to dodge as much sun as possible. I mean you shouldn't try and put off getting wrinkles like it's a plague. It's natural and trying to dodge it for as long as possible indicates vanity.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    My mum used to sun bathe when we were kids, why? Because everyone else did and she felt she had to keep up with the trend, she still looks young for her age but she regrets that she ever did sunbathe when she was young. She looked fab then, but she still regrets she did it: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Padme1984/MumauditioningforCharliesangels.jpg (Excuse the 80s-ness lol)

I have used a fake tan before, mainly for photos actually cause of course if you are paler the light reflects off your skin more and it can look odd, but I'd never get a genuine tan ever, simply cause of warnings from my mum. Though I don't avoid the sun like crazy, I just make sure to cover my arms when I know I'm going out somewhere etc

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    It depends where you're from. Some just have a skin that can take the sun better than others, escpecially black people. We were all black once. That's because all mankind lived in the areas of Africa. Then we moved on and got a paler skin, cause we didn't need protection from the sun that much anymore. It's part of evolution. It's maybe a bit irrelivent, but I think you get my point.

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    What I am aiming at is enjoying yourself in the sun without just lying there all day long for extended periods of time and hence accumulating a NATURAL tan.

Sure your mum sunbathed and made a mistake, but I wasn't talking about sunbathing, as mentioned earlier. I was talking about light natural tan acquired through just enjoying yourself in the sun for a short while each day. i.e. going to the beach to play football for an hour or two.

Plus atm, most of us young. Summer is a time for lots of outdoor activity which is generally done by younger people. Sunlight exposure is not so bad for us, we have much healthier bodies that are better at coping with the sun expose.

9. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well I think the majority of people do allow themselves to be exposed to the sun 'naturally', but it still doesn't hurt to be careful. A friend of Anakin's family, a really decent man passed away just a few months ago from cancer, what was the initial cause? Skin cancer from sun damage, he was not a person who sun bathed or anything like that, just years of gradual damage. He was 59, which I don't consider to be old at all. I'd rather be careful now and live longer and healthier.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea but you can't use a minority case to prove the point. There's lots of people who don't sunbathe, etc and live perfectly healthy.

Again, it's all about moderation. I've naturally darker skin than "white people" but I still make sure to use suncream if it's hot. Albeit it's lower than other people's suncream strength, but I still use it. It's stuff like just doing things in a proper way that allow you to enjoy the sun.

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well my skin does have a slight tint to it, mainly from my grandfather who had quite dark skin. I almost never burn, I actually tan very easily, but I don't like that.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well I used to swim a lot more, which also gave me the opportunity to stay in the sun longer, cause you know I normally can't afford to, cause otherwise my body would heat up too much. However in a swimmingpool, it wouldn't heat up and you could still have some excercise and enjoy the sun more.

13. Lady Cyllíeth

Lady Cyllíeth WillExplodeUnderPressure

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    What a lie. Two cups of fortified milk a day are enough to cover the required amount of vit. D if you avoid the sun like a vampire and lactose transports calcium just as good as vitamin D does.
    By the way, you only need 30 minutes of sun A WEEK to produce enough vitamin D. You don't even have to find a sunny place somewhere, you just have to be outside (at day, of course).

So, there's no reason why I should not wear a nice wide brim hat when I enter "the real life".

14. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Encore! Now here's someone who knows her science, chemistry major are we? :D (Nice to see you back btw, been ages!)

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Touché LC

16. Lady Cyllíeth

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I knew that reading science books and articles would pay off some day. XD

17. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Definitely summer for me. Our winters aren't cold enough to be any fun - it just rains more :(.

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    First of all you're assuming that all people can just drink that milk. There is a huge amount of people that are lactose intolerant. Not to mention it's much more ecnomically viable to just go into the sun for a bit rather than drink that much milk. Not to mention the topic on how much milk intake is healthy is a debated topic. You're suggestion could be putting people at risks, when it's just easier to go outside.

So basically it's just easier to expose yourself to a short amount of time in the sun and be healthy. Plus Cici you're also forgetting the older we get the longer we need to be out in the sun to use the sunlight to convert vitamin D, so your fingures are dependent on only a specific age range. Now with the body finding it harder to produce Vit D as you get older, are you just going to tell them to drink more milk which could lead to adverse effects?

Also a recent study shows that sunlight can actually reduce the risk of skin cancer. Dr. Michael Holick, author of "The UV Advantage," states: Sunlight is actually good for you. In fact, the risk of many cancers increases when you do not have sufficient exposure to sunlight.

Obviously he says this sort of thing needs to be done in moderation as I was saying before. He also goes on to say:

"One of the people commenting on this study was so baffled by the results they said “It must all be due to vitamin D, and if you want vitamin D, there are better places to get it like drinking milk”. It's typical advice from conventional medicine. They're still telling people to avoid the sun and, instead, drink lots of cows' milk. How's that for lousy health advice? You just need to look at the notmilk.com website for information on how bad processed pasteurized milk is for you.

Milk doesn't really have much vitamin D in it at all, especially if it's offered in those typical translucent containers, because light destroys the vitamin D content. Also, this whole line of thinking by conventional medicine misses the point that there may be other characteristics of sunlight that encourage human health aside from just vitamin D. In other words, there may be a lot more going on."

19. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Winter

20. Lady Cyllíeth

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    There's also a lot of vit. D in SOY milk, fatty fish, etc.
    But what the hell should vitamin D be good for if people do not consume enough calcium anyway? (OMG, there's vitamin D AND calcium in milk products. Conspiracy! :O).
    If people go into the sun because it's "healthy" but don't eat enough whatever-has-enough-calcium they can have rachitis, osteoporosis, osteomalacia, etc. when they're older as well.
    There are not only lactose intolerant people but also people who are allergic to nuts, green vegetables and so on so they cannot cover their daily amount of calcium "naturally".

By the way, who can be that crazy to totally avoid sun light?
    How many people never leave their cellar or live in a submarine?
    Even if you're outside you cannot absolutely avoid the sun. If you find a shadowy place under a tree there will be still enough UV rays around you to produce vitamin D.
    As I already said, in average white people only need 30 minutes of daylight a week because, as far as I know, vitamin D can be storaged in our bodies.

P.S.:
    I have never seen translucent milk containers.
    I thought Tetra Pak ruled the world. >_>