Suicides

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by anonymous, Mar 20, 2013.

1. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Back atcha ;) And I'm glad you're alive today Anakin. I quite like you :)

Thank you:)

And you're right, it is an illness. That's actually the hardest part. I can't tell you how long it took for me to accept that I had an illness and I wasn't just lazy, stupid, or seeking attention, which are labels that people with depression/bipolar/etc get. People always used to tell me "Just pretend to be happy and you'll eventually be happy". Hell to the no, that does not work. In fact, it makes it worse. Being bipolar is a literal roller coaster and you never know what each day will bring. So those days when you're feeling balanced you might think "Those people were right. If I pretend to be happy, I am happy!" And the next day you can't bring yourself to crawl out of bed and you feel like a pathetic failure that's more of a burden on society than anything else. Once you embrace that you are ill, just like if you had the flu, it all gets better from there. Those days that I couldn't crawl out of bed after that became easier because it's okay. No one yells at a cancer patient for not being able to get out of bed, why should I feel down on myself because I'm ill?

Thank you, so much. It's so often that bipolar gets belittled. I'm glad to see someone that appreciates what we go through. It's impossible to understand it unless you have it, or unless you're really empathetic. A lot of bipolar people end up killing themselves, and it's ironic that a lot of the time it happens during a manic phase. Mania is the worst symptom. The depression is predictable and expected.. but mania... man. When you feel it creeping up on you with almost no way to stop it, it's like you're standing in front of a train that's barreling toward you and you're unable to move.

And everyone is right, education is the key. Look at all of the things happening in America that could be stopped (like school shootings), if we took a better look at mental health. Especially from a therapeutic stance and not from a "Hey, let's pump you full of drugs that will ruin your body and most likely your mind" stance. I've been off of medication for about a year now, and I'll never go back. My body and mind have been permanently altered thanks to the 900 mg of Lithium and 300 mg of bupropion that were pumped into my system for so many years. Medication is good when coupled with therapy, but I think a life-long prescription of meds is dangerous, and you don't learn how to handle your illness that way either.

2. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0

All of that is very true. Though, I agree that the negative thoughts toward suicide are relatively modern.

3. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I totally agree with medication, I really think that medication on supress it not cures it....

But, I have 0 experience with it..so, yeah.