Stupid Publishers.

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by bloodfiredeath, Apr 30, 2008.

1. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I recently began reading Steve Erikson's Malazan series, and was really enjoying it.
    I finished book 5 and went down to a local bookstore to get book 6.
    The staff there informed me that it wasnt released yet. Upon hearing this I replied, yes it was and in fact so was book 7 and book 8 was due out this year. They then told me yes I was right, but they had only released up to book 5 in our country, and book 6 was due for release later in the year (incidently 2 months after book 8).
    Now this seems ludicrious to me, as of course I cant wait and so will buy them online from somewhere. Point is; Surely they realise that the branch of their publishing empire in our country will suffer due to their retarded strategic sales plan. So what gives? I mean when a band releases a record it is available within a week or so worldwide, but why not a book?
    I wrote the company an email about it, but they dont seem to want to reply, So I thought I would bitch about it here. So there you go.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    its not too surprising - its often the case that the country of residence of the author (usually the first place they get publised to start with) if often the country to first get copies of new books on the shelves. Its happening (when its written) with A Dance of Dragons by GRR Martin - however to let it slip by a whole release is very poor show indeed -- complain complain
    *ebay*

3. Graft

Graft Love-tiger

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    When you get the book from another country, take a few days and type it up on a library computer in town. Then distribute it for free online.

4. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Y'know what I had exactly the same issue, except I bought book 5 that was published by a different company, then realised that hang on a second, book six I bought before book five and it's by the same publisher: What's going on? And it was only recently that I noticed it on the shelves by the same publisher. Weird. So now I have an oddly covered book... which bugs me because it's the only one I've got by that publisher. I prefer the blacky dark ones with the skulls on the top and spine etc.
    ¬_¬
    I don't understand why things just can't be distributed equally. I mean yes it may take time to get elsewhere depending on where it's being published but the time it takes to find some books is absolutely obscene...
    Maybe I'm exaggerating.
    But it annoyed me too!