Stuck in a plot..

Discussion in 'Writing Workshop' started by Master Wrath, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I need help coming up with a storyline.
    Ok basically the novel I am working now has only a light plot so far. It is about a country that is more or less run like a tyranny, though the rulers are priests of a foreign god (you can think of them as 'Dark' I guess). In this country children are sometimes stolen away, to be put in various facilities to be trained as 'Imperials' (loyal warriors to the king). These Imperials are magically and scientifically enhanced each day, and their life consists of brainwashing and fighting.
    The protagonist is one of these Imperials, however he is only 12 (no brainwashing yet, just physical training and enhancement). However, it was come to the day when Myra (the wizard who runs this facility) must take him to the Capitol to recieve a speech from the King, and become loyal to him. However, on the way a group called the Brotherhood (a bunch of old knights from before the country was overrun by this King) attacks Myra and Eral (the kid). Myra must flee, leaving Eral behind. The knights see Eral as just a kid, and an uncoscious one at that.
    Eral stays with the knights of 3 years. He is a perfect warrior, able to handle nearly 5 of them at once with just his body. However, he knows nothing of the world, culture or anything- just how to fight. After 3 years, however, he becomes more or less civilized.
    This is where I'm stuck. The basis of the story is that throughout the novel Eral will be doing random stuff, and Myra/the king in general will be pursuing him. In the end Eral will become the new King. How am I getting there? No idea.
    I have a map, made using the computer and mapping programs. I've had the map in various stages on paper for years. There is lots Eral can do, but no REASON to do them (lol). One possibility is that the knight camp could be attacked by Imperials, perhaps led by Myra or something, and they are forced to run.. but I don't know. One of Eral's close friends in the brotherhood is Driadoc, a huge an Erkan (kind of a barbarian people). Driadoc is a Baron in Erka, and owns a manor and a wide land.
    Anyone have any ideas?

2. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Heres just some random thoughts of the top of my head

1) a search for his family that he has been seperated from

2) he could lead the Brotherhood in an attempt to rescue the in training Imperials, liberating them and creating an army in the process with which he faces the king

3) he could be attacked like you said before but instead of running being captured, from this capture he could escape and tell the truth to the people, with scars as the proof. From this he creates a rebellion and overthrows the imperials and their king.

like I said these are just a few ideas, hope it helps

3. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You could bring in a secondary character (espesially good if you want a bit of a love story)

Another way is to have a primaray character removed, kidnapped, killed this opens the doors to quests and revenge.

Good luck, it sounds interessting already.

4. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I really like Roland's first idea. Earlier when I was just thinking I thought it would be neat to have his parents having some sort of magical bloodline, and Eral inheriting this... or him being an heir to a throne, etc. as long as its something special. But a quest to find his heritage SIMULTANEOUSLY wanting to solve Solanthia's problems would be nice. I would probably make his personal quest more important, and the second one will just happen along with it.
    Thanks alot!

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Immortal

Astride the back of a winged beast, sailing over m
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just make sure it doesn't end up in
    "Eral, I am your father..."
    *laughs* Heaven knows the world doesn't need another one of those!

6. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    lol. Actually I have a pretty good idea of the stories plot now. Spent many an hour the past few days sitting at my desk and thinking. Now Solanthia, instead of being run by a tyrant king, will be ruled by a 'Circle' of wizards from a nearby desert land called Al-Kharid. They want to bring back the old Conclave, that fell apart with the forging of the Hellgate (openable only by a Solanthian noble blood... which Eral is, unknowing.) I know this may sound cheezy but theres alot of stuff in their that I think is pretty cool... its like a combination of David Edding's Mallorean/Belgariad and DragonLance, with a writing style similar to R.A. Salvatore I hope :p Basically Eral's mother (the former Queen before Solanthia was taken over) is encased in Ruby so that the mages can one day open Hellsgate (don't want to give to much detail), and the king was a powerful Primal Mage before the wizards (Myra specifically) killed him and took their infant son (thought to be a servants child in the raid of the castle) as an imperial... now he can do Primal Magic muahahahaha

7. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good, glad I could help

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Immortal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yupyup. All sounds very good to me. You might want to keep an eye on the plot line, however. Unless you're planning something along the lines of a trilogy or an epic, cramming a large plotline into a short space (no matter how good it is) is just like signing a death warrant for your work. One must remember that while you wrote the story and have everything layed out like patchwork in your mind, you're teaching others the history of the land and characters while spinning a yarn. You don't want to confuse the reader with an overly-complicated plotline, nor bore them with tedious descriptions and monologues as you drag the plotline behind you.

9. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it is going to be a trilogy, if I didnt mention it. By the end of the first Eral will be the King in Solanthia, but the other two will go to epic proportions with gods etc.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Immortal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, I see no problem then! Go ahead, I'd love to have a read when you're done!

11. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That probably won't be for a few years. I expect 5 or 6 months for the first to actually be written, than another 5 for a response from publishers and another couple months at least for it to be in any stores... and thats only for one :p
    Ill make sure to post here when that happens though, lol!

12. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In the meantime, I will most likely be having short stories published in a few magazines, anthologies, newspapers etc. If I do, i'll post them :)