Story Dump

Discussion in 'Writing Workshop' started by Silverhand, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Silverhand

Silverhand Tairite Warder

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking there should be a good place for disused project ideas, like ideas for stories or novels that have never turned out as you wish, or that are scrapped, or perhaps you have just not got round to writing?

So I thought here would be a good place to "dump" them, so to speak! I think this would be great for inspiration, or a quick cure for writer's block, perhaps.

Take care!

2. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I've always been interested in writing a time travel story. Has anyone else ever attempted one? How have you gotten past the question of HOW the person/people got back in time? Did you go the "crazy scientist accidentally discovers how" route, or did you just gloss over it as a phenomena? A dream?

3. Dephere

Dephere New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, Shalott, I've always wanted to finish one, but as of now have only had a few failed attempts. But I usually go the magic route and a mage, sorcerer type person gets lost within their own powers, only to emerge in a different time.

I always have to stick with fantasy, it's a rule. lol. I guess mad scientist just doesn't fall into the "fantasy" mood for me.

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Yes... sometimes though there's that fine line between fantasy and sci-fi. I much prefer fantasy myself, although in a time travel novel I'm leaning toward combining that fantasy element with regular fiction... sort of. A hybrid, you might say. I tend to be rather overly-ambitious at times, methinks. :D

5. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm in need of an idea here, as well. The story outline so far is: Astrid, a humanoid girl coming from a planet (Flaminia) inhabited by highly evolved humanoids which once colonised Earth, found legends about humans and got very interested in them. The Lost Ones, the eldest of her kind, warned her about men and persuaded her not to go looking for them, but she insisted. Thus, she was exiled from Flaminia. Astrid found Earth, but she was much disappointed by the humans' ignorance and lack of tolerance.

How do I continue it from here? What does she do on Earth? :(

6. Silverhand

Silverhand Tairite Warder

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Woah, I like that idea very much. I've always wanted to write something from an alien or non-human perspective. She could maybe find some people that aren't so ignorant or intolerant, or perhaps try and change people to being more tolerant. She could dress up and sort of pretend to be a disfigured homeless girl or something, and learn about what people are like. It could be in Earth's future, then you'd be allowed to go a little wild with the plot, so maybe she could meet some other aliens of her kind that have also been banished but live among the humans, in tribes, perhaps. Anyway, it's certainly a kick ass plot :D Good luck with it!

7. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Actually, it's hard for her to dress up or to socialize, mainly because of her physical appearance. She's got totally white skin (and I mean WHITE), white hair and totally black eyes.

But I'll try to do my best, anyway! Thanks for the suggestions! :)

8. Dephere

Dephere New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but that's nearly the bulk of your idea, if I'm getting it. Her adventures/research/observations of Earth are what you as a writer will have to describe. You mentioned lack of tolerance, so you might want to use that route and have be ostricized in some way, which could lead to a much larger story.

9. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Much the same as my thoughts. If she is so different, and she is disapointed by the human race's lack of tolerance, then I think you've found your story right there.

10. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the problem is I'm on a bit of a dead end. I have no idea about her first action on Earth that is. If I find a suitable action for her, everything will flow from that moment on. I suppose I just have to relax and think a bit harder about it. :)

11. Dephere

Dephere New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hm, still not sure what you mean. Like what she does when she first arrives? Well, obviously she's oging to have high expectations, from what you've told us, so an immense amount of dissapointment would be a proper reaction. But it sounds like you want more....

I'm not exactly weathered in the sci-fi department (which is what planet traveling falls into, IMO), so I'm not too sure how she could fit in, or rather, how she could survive. Is this a planet with multiple races? Is this a modern planet or a fantasy one? These things matter, because in a fantasy one she could pass off as some other race or a product of magic. If it's modern times, then you have your work cut out for you, because while in a fantasy one she could remain secluded in the country, if need be, it's a bit harder to go unnoticed in a very populated world.

I don't know if any of that even helped....lol. But I tried.

12. Kalyiel

Kalyiel Self-Made Hero

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's ok, Dephere, it did help. :) I'm going to mess with it and see what happens. ;)