Sting

Discussion in 'Books' started by Soldier of Gondor, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Soldier of Gondor

Soldier of Gondor Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where does it say that sting had this inscription: Stin is my name-Im the spiders bane.
    I have read The Hobbit and LOTR but it dosent stand anything there

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I suppose, you bought the UC Sting sword, or plan to do so. Well, I haven't read the Hobbit, but if you look at the text, the spider would be Shelob, the creature that made a pact with Gollum to attack Frodo, so that Gollum could take the ring. I think the makers of this sword (John Howe and others) thought a elven blade needed an elven inscription. Since the most important thing Sting ever did was slaying the Spider, they have gone for that line. It think it is more an artist's impression than a real fact; no Elven smith could have foreseen the deeds of this little blade, I guess...

3. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I can bet on my head that the book never mentions anything about Sting having this particular inscription but I just got this totally insane idea... Now, Sting was an elven blade, right? And we do have an Elven realm that has had a particularly nasty spider problem for centuries... So, what if Sting was wrought by the (for the) Mirkwood Elves?

This would work as an excellent excuse for the inscription on the blade (the Elven smith who forged it knew it was going to be used against spiders) and as an explanation to why Sting was such an efficient weapon against spiders (both in ''The Hobbit'' and in ROTK).

Any corrections or facts about the real origin of Sting that I've fogotten about are most welcome. :)